Ernest "Nudger" Needham - The Prince of Half-Backs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought it worth mentioning to a wider audience, that Danny Garrett has started on a bit a of a project to give a little care/restoration of some of the graves of Blades past, along with trying to raise awareness of the stories of these individuals and their role in our game.

He's kicked off with the burial place of Ernest Needham, at Staveley Cemetery.

1685190440764.png

1685190515264.png 1685190543117.png

The project funded the following for Ernest Needham’s grave at Staveley Cemetery:

• Memorial pot
  • Pebbles
  • Image for the grave
  • Professional cleaning products
  • QR Code - Linking to a page with more information on Needham.

The plan is to continue to identify appropriate additional projects from Sheffield football

If anyone is interested in helping out, making suggestions or indeed making a contribution towards the costs of the ongoing project, just give me a shout and I'll either act as a conduit or put you in touch.

Thought it worth mentioning to a wider audience, that Danny Garrett has started on a bit a of a project to give a little care/restoration of some of the graves of Blades past, along with trying to raise awareness of the stories of these individuals and their role in our game.

He's kicked off with the burial place of Ernest Needham, at Staveley Cemetery.

View attachment 161382

View attachment 161383 View attachment 161384

The project funded the following for Ernest Needham’s grave at Staveley Cemetery:

• Memorial pot
  • Pebbles
  • Image for the grave
  • Professional cleaning products
  • QR Code - Linking to a page with more information on Needham.

The plan is to continue to identify appropriate additional projects from Sheffield football

If anyone is interested in helping out, making suggestions or indeed making a contribution towards the costs of the ongoing project, just give me a shout and I'll either act as a conduit or put you in touch.

What an absolutely brilliant thing to do!

Isn't William Foulke(s) in Burngreave Cemetery?
Few years back fancied another tattoo - our lass said get something that means something. I thought I not fucking having Julie tattooed so I picked Fatty! Needless to say it didn’t go down well😂 I’ll have to go and pay my respects!

Attachments

• DE717F44-6024-4906-9EB9-FBF904F437D0.jpeg
    DE717F44-6024-4906-9EB9-FBF904F437D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Is any former Blades buried at City Road cemetery?

You can argue whether or not Nudger Needham was our greatest ever player, but there is no dispute that he is our most decorated - 1 league title, 2 fa cup wins and captain of England.
Add in Great Britain cup winner two league runners up and one FA Cup finalist in 1901 when we lost to non league Spurs. Our most capped England player with 17 caps as well. Our greatest player by a country mile. If anyone deserves a statue at the Lane its Ernest Needham, a born winner and great leader.

Wasn't he captain of United when the role was to almost pick the team and the tactics whilst the general manager was more of a secretarial role (more aligned to what Steve Bettis does now)? I maybe wrong on this thinking.
Yes. It was the same with cricket captain roles until the 1970s/1980s

WELL done Danny Garrett - respect to you for this project. Sure looks a nice memorial to EN- I will help out if you come across some nearer South Sheffield in need of cleaning up.

Quick update, Danny’s been busy with another one…

Good afternoon all,

On behalf of Sheffield United Preservation Society would like to thank Keiron Salt, Tom Damms, Sarah Garrett and Chris Smith for their continued support with the project.

Today, I have sorted John Nicholson grave who is arguably the greatest pioneer within Sheffield United history. He is buried at Darnall Cemetery.

A memorial pot, image and QR code will be placed later this week 😊

Now people can appreciate the legacy of “Honest John”

If you can leave a flower via the link provided below so that it promote his grave so it can allow his grave to become famous within Sheffield that would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom