The state of Sheffield football

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why are the Sheffield clubs so crap?

On the face of it they’re both decent sized clubs with more than decent sized support and history, if either or both had had any sort of proper post war success they could have been established top end top flight clubs.

Yet since the war both have punched far below their weight. We’re lucky if we’re in the same division most of the time because one or the other is in the lower leagues and we keep missing each other.

From being at one time one of the countries top derby games and considered a hotbed of football we’re not thought of these days as proper top flight clubs or a hotbed of football. We don’t get mentioned in the same breath as Liverpool or Manchester or Newcastle but we once did.

Neither club seems able to attract good owners/investors and both have or have had owners who haven’t got a clue while other clubs with far less potential drop lucky.

Why do both attract the wrong kind of investor? What is it why we seem destined to forever struggle to stay in the top flight. Wednesday these days struggle to stay in the Championship, how long before we’re the same?

Why are clubs like Leicester for example who have never won owt before and with modest crowds able to drop lucky?

Brentford and Bournemouth just two more.

I think we’re screwed now to be honest. The top elite have contrived to making it impossible for an outsider to join their ranks, no matter the wealth of the owner.

The also-rans are also now far beyond our reach. Palace reinforced that point the other night when they were able to field two £50m plus players who tore us apart.

Both Sheffield clubs have missed the boat now for definite, but why has it been this way for so long?

Attachments

• IMG-20240204-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240204-WA0011.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
Sheffield will never change until the people living here change. It's that simple. Get rid of your flat caps and your whippets. That'll be a start. Then stop being so down on yourselves and the city. Have a croissant for breakfast. Dress more flamboyantly. Start saying good morning instead of ey up. Then just watch the foreign investors start queuing up.

Sheffield will never change until the people living here change. It's that simple. Get rid of your flat caps and your whippets. That'll be a start. Then stop being so down on yourselves and the city. Have a croissant for breakfast. Dress more flamboyantly. Start saying good morning instead of ey up. Then just watch the foreign investors start queuing up.

Oh, for fuck’s sake

Last edited:
Ey Up, fuck off and stick The Daily Mail up your arse .😂

Well listing the shithole that is Park Hill/Hyde Park as brutal 60's architecture whilst demolishing Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian buildings left right and centre is embracing "Shithole" status, however much of a decent job is made of refurbishment.

A well known Sheffield MP complaining about plans to create enormous office, leisure and retail facilities, stating that "Sheffield people don't want expensive high end shops" is not only promoting a shithole status, but it is also promoting Sheffield people as being thick as shit, and assuming that anyone with two brain cells to rub together wouldn't visit here.

Its aversion to major road, rail and air networks is promoting a shithole, arse end of nowhere status.

As I said in my post Sheffield's problems have been mentioned before, so I didn't want to give examples, but now this thread will descend into more disagreement with those that talk about the wonderful largest village in the world that has wonderful countryside that isn't even in Sheffield and those that talk about the failed major powerhouse it should be.
Sheffield
Hi Frank.

You still going with that Clive Betts bloke and paying for Don Valley!

Does he give you any pocket money!

This 👏🏻

My wife and I have two artichokes a day , and we have tapas every Sunday . We ride our bikes side saddle , dip olive bread in oil , invested in a pizza oven and zero flour , use shallots instead of onions , wear sling backs, are responsible for tying each others cravats , and open our Christmas presents whilst listening to kraftwork -

And we get people throwing money at us in the street

Sponsorship is income
So a multi billionaire sponsors the stadium for half a billion a season and the club buys whatever players it wants. Simple, just need the billionaire now.
Isn’t that part of what Manchester City have been up to and are being investigated for? Has to be market value doesn’t it?

This 👏🏻

My wife and I have two artichokes a day , and we have tapas every Sunday . We ride our bikes side saddle , dip olive bread in oil , invested in a pizza oven and zero flour , use shallots instead of onions , wear sling backs, are responsible for tying each others cravats , and open our Christmas presents whilst listening to kraftwork -

Kraftwork.........................rubbish!

FOR EVERY CLUB DOING REALLY WELL THERES 8 OR 9 DOING SHIT

Oldham in the prem at its inception now non league
Charlton rose like a Pheonix, but more seen as a pigeon now
Bolton , rocking the prem now rooted in div 3
Wigan rose to the fa cup now struggling in div 3
Portsmouth , the coice of any sailor europe fa cup wins but sunk to the botom of Davys locker
Derby , won the league under Clough, rooted in div 3 now

0f 92 clubs probably 12 to15 will claim being happy

then theres the other end of the spectrum clubs like spurs spend a billion won buggar all
same for Newcastle , take home their wages in a wheel barrow again very little to show for it

weve never had that worry , we were skint under John Harris and have been ever since

Mi Whippet just shit it’s sen laughing when I read that out…..wi reflexes of a ferret I caught it wi mi cap just in time,
good job cos I’ve just put fresh sawdust on Flooer.

I know what you mean. But Leicester? Bournemouth?? Brentford???
I’ll give you Leicester but Bournemouth on the south coast is wonderful and London is one of the most vibrant cities in the world and if you have money like footballers do a fantastic place to live.

I will stick my neck out here.
Sheffield is a city pulling in two directions, one red and the other blue.
This also "weakens" the city in terms of football on a national level.
A UNITED Sheffield would be a very strong football club, and a very attractive club to investors.
Since my early days of going to matches in the 70s, it is now a completely different game. Financially clubs can no longer be supported by a local businessman.
It would take a minor miracle for Sheffield to produce a "successful" club.
Moving on into the future it doesn't look great.

The state of Yorkshire football is at its lowest👎
Yorkshire football has always been this shit hence the pigs been most successful club in the biggest county in England. That’s how shit it is and continues to be. It’s unbelievable. Gods own country they call it. Shame investors and quality players don’t see it lol

I will stick my neck out here.
Sheffield is a city pulling in two directions, one red and the other blue.
This also "weakens" the city in terms of football on a national level.
A UNITED Sheffield would be a very strong football club, and a very attractive club to investors.
Since my early days of going to matches in the 70s, it is now a completely different game. Financially clubs can no longer be supported by a local businessman.
It would take a minor miracle for Sheffield to produce a "successful" club.
Moving on into the future it doesn't look great.
Other comparable city’s seem to manage alright with two or more clubs.

Other comparable city’s seem to manage alright with two or more clubs.
Manchester and Liverpool have two massive clubs in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc winning every thing between them. During this time the Blades went to Division 4 and back, Wednesday did similar.
The only other city that i can think of with two clubs close to Sheffield's lack of football success is Bristol.

Manchester and Liverpool have two massive clubs in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc winning every thing between them. During this time the Blades went to Division 4 and back, Wednesday did similar.
The only other city that i can think of with two clubs close to Sheffield's lack of football success is Bristol.
My point is the size of the city, not the success of its clubs. That‘s the point I’m trying to make. Given the size of the city, comparable to similar sized city’s and much smaller ones, why is football in Sheffield so crap and so far behind other similar city’s and smaller ones.

There is no reason Sheffield couldn’t have had two clubs much more successful, especially since the 2nd World War than what we ended up with.

This 👏🏻

Wondered who that was

If Sheffield is looked upon objectively why would anyone invest their money there? There are far more attractive alternatives. It's a vicious cycle that the city has been stuck in for decades.

Back
Top Bottom