The state of Sheffield football

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

South yorkshire is skint just like the entire area low wages no big money men around . Lost it in the 70's when thatcher was priminister ! South yorkshire Labour Party took her on and lost ! investment was withdrawn tories really went to town on us,with steel & mining industries collapsing ! Investment by the government was not forthcoming ,! The area as not recovered from that time. Remember well councillor Ironmongers plan to have local bus services free to all ! Tories put a stop to that as well.Historical but true.
You are aware that Labour have pretty much ruled and controlled Sheffield solidly for the past several decades, right? Furthermore what you say isn't even true - overall Labour governments shut down more of the steelmills and coalmines than Thatcher did (and I'm certainly no fan of hers or the Conservative party). So what you say actually isn't historically true at all.

Your attitude is the reason why we have continuously horrific councils in Sheffield - 'I vote Labour me because of muh evil Tories'. It's absolutely braindead. Labour rule has ran Sheffield into the ground - with or without a Conservative national government.

To sum up:

Tories are horrific
Labour are horrific
They're all horrific
Stop bloody voting for them

You don't half talk some baloney, Thatcher shut nothing down....world economics and unproductivity closed all these industries that were not able to adjust and be competitive in the real world, and thought they should all be ringfenced by public money from the more efficient enterprises and threaten strike if they could not get their own mardy arse way.

A bit like both Sheffield football clubs and one particular current and one past Sheffield born manager.
It's almost as if flying the red flag from the council offices does not attract investment.

Someone may correct me if I’m wrong but a lot of pits were making a profit when they were closed
Coal was cheaper to buy from eastern Europe and it was far more productive to produce, hence why the producing from the UK was not economically viable.

Just like why man city are more productive football team than we are, which is why they win the league and we finish bottom.

You are aware that Labour have pretty much ruled and controlled Sheffield solidly for the past several decades, right? Furthermore what you say isn't even true - overall Labour governments shut down more of the steelmills and coalmines than Thatcher did (and I'm certainly no fan of hers or the Conservative party). So what you say actually isn't historically true at all.

Your attitude is the reason why we have continuously horrific councils in Sheffield - 'I vote Labour me because of muh evil Tories'. It's absolutely braindead. Labour rule has ran Sheffield into the ground - with or without a Conservative national government.

To sum up:

Tories are horrific
Labour are horrific
They're all horrific
Best post I've seen on here ever!

Only ever seem to hear this about the Sheffield clubs. No idea why because both clubs are big enough to survive in the top flight at the same time.
Funny I was thinking of posting something similar the other day.

I think amalgamation now is much more likely because of the investor scenario. Chung Chi Yee approaches Weds and Utd and agrees to buy both if they amalgamate. Could sell sites for megabucks. Dont think it isn't a reality. Playing in green and white stripes, black shorts and called of course Sheffield City.

South yorkshire is skint just like the entire area low wages no big money men around . Lost it in the 70's when thatcher was priminister ! South yorkshire Labour Party took her on and lost ! investment was withdrawn tories really went to town on us,with steel & mining industries collapsing ! Investment by the government was not forthcoming ,! The area as not recovered from that time. Remember well councillor Ironmongers plan to have local bus services free to all ! Tories put a stop to that as well.Historical but true.
Some will still be trotting this out in another 50 years.

To sum up:

Tories are horrific
Labour are horrific
They're all horrific
So, the alternative is? Genuinely interested, and don't say Reform UK which is another millionaire led charade that uses popularism to hoodwink the poor into voting against their own best interests, same as UKIP. Oh and by the way, 14 years of year on year local govt funding cuts has led to the demise of many UK towns and cities. Sunak even admitted that he syphoned off money from poorer areas to more affluent Tory ones.

Last edited:
In the Premier League at least, TV money is so huge now that gate receipts are more or less irrelevant: they’re a tiny percentage of a club’s overall income. So us having regular crowds of 30k isn’t a big advantage over clubs like Bournemouth, Brentford or Fulham. Those smaller clubs are no longer significantly held back by their small crowds/stadiums.

I think it’s much more about timing than fanbase. Wednesday haven’t been in the top flight since 2000, so missed the crucial period in which the financial gulf between the Premier League and the rest really opened up. Without massive investment, it’s probably never going to be possible for them to bridge that gap.

It’s a similar story with us: we’ve had odd seasons in the Premier League in the 21st century, but never for long enough to become established, as Bournemouth, Brentford etc have. If you can cling on for 3-4 years in the Prem, pocketing £100 million+ in TV money each year, you’ll build a squad completely unattainable by any club coming up from the Championship. It’s still possible to screw it up of course, but you’re fairly well insulated against that risk.

So I think it’s largely just bad luck: both Sheffield clubs missed the premier league boom years when the cash rolled in.

Why are the Sheffield clubs so crap?

On the face of it they’re both decent sized clubs with more than decent sized support and history, if either or both had had any sort of proper post war success they could have been established top end top flight clubs.

Yet since the war both have punched far below their weight. We’re lucky if we’re in the same division most of the time because one or the other is in the lower leagues and we keep missing each other.

From being at one time one of the countries top derby games and considered a hotbed of football we’re not thought of these days as proper top flight clubs or a hotbed of football. We don’t get mentioned in the same breath as Liverpool or Manchester or Newcastle but we once did.

Neither club seems able to attract good owners/investors and both have or have had owners who haven’t got a clue while other clubs with far less potential drop lucky.

Why do both attract the wrong kind of investor? What is it why we seem destined to forever struggle to stay in the top flight. Wednesday these days struggle to stay in the Championship, how long before we’re the same?

Why are clubs like Leicester for example who have never won owt before and with modest crowds able to drop lucky?

Brentford and Bournemouth just two more.

I think we’re screwed now to be honest. The top elite have contrived to making it impossible for an outsider to join their ranks, no matter the wealth of the owner.

The also-rans are also now far beyond our reach. Palace reinforced that point the other night when they were able to field two £50m plus players who tore us apart.

Both Sheffield clubs have missed the boat now for definite, but why has it been this way for so long?
Ice hockey team are quite useful

So, the alternative is? Genuinely interested, and don't say Reform UK which is another millionaire led charade that uses popularism to hoodwink the poor into voting against their own best interests, same as UKIP. Oh and by the way, 14 years of year on year local govt funding cuts has led to the demise of many UK towns and cities. Sunak even admitted that he syphoned off money from poorer areas to more affluent Tory ones.
No c@nt is worth voting for unfortunately. Especially those left wing commies who want to take everything from you and control you. It's hard to tell the difference in any party these days.

I do sometimes wonder if Sheffield not being a "glamorous" city contributes here.
It’s the classic vicious circle, a successful football club can boost both the image and the economy of any city, town or region. Also, a vibrant, bustling city where people want to come and live will always attract young exciting players with wads of money on their hip. Take London for example, even the smaller clubs in the capital can blow us out of the water when it comes to attracting players. Yes, money and rich benefactors does help, but the bright lights of London will always beat Sheffield…Even when we’re in the Premier League.

I know what you mean. But Leicester? Bournemouth?? Brentford???
Shows it doesn't necessarily be glamourous, it just has to be considered not an absolute shithole.
Sheffields problems have been mentioned before, but it's not a shithole. Not when measured against other shitholes.

All very glamourous cities from Tokyo to New York and everywhere in between has it's shitholes worse than Sheffield, but if the entire place is considered to be a shithole, as Sheffield is, well then it's a problem. And the worse thing of all is Sheffield has actually triumphantly promoted and bragged about it's shithole status.

Shows it doesn't necessarily be glamourous, it just has to be considered not an absolute shithole.
Sheffields problems have been mentioned before, but it's not a shithole. Not when measured against other shitholes.

All very glamourous cities from Tokyo to New York and everywhere in between has it's shitholes worse than Sheffield, but if the entire place is considered to be a shithole, as Sheffield is, well then it's a problem. And the worse thing of all is Sheffield has actually triumphantly promoted and bragged about it's shithole status.
Don't understand the reasoning for your last sentence. When has Sheffield ever done the two things you mention?

Don't understand the reasoning for your last sentence. When has Sheffield ever done the two things you mention?
Well listing the shithole that is Park Hill/Hyde Park as brutal 60's architecture whilst demolishing Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian buildings left right and centre is embracing "Shithole" status, however much of a decent job is made of refurbishment.

A well known Sheffield MP complaining about plans to create enormous office, leisure and retail facilities, stating that "Sheffield people don't want expensive high end shops" is not only promoting a shithole status, but it is also promoting Sheffield people as being thick as shit, and assuming that anyone with two brain cells to rub together wouldn't visit here.

Its aversion to major road, rail and air networks is promoting a shithole, arse end of nowhere status.

As I said in my post Sheffield's problems have been mentioned before, so I didn't want to give examples, but now this thread will descend into more disagreement with those that talk about the wonderful largest village in the world that has wonderful countryside that isn't even in Sheffield and those that talk about the failed major powerhouse it should be.

Cant ar
Well listing the shithole that is Park Hill/Hyde Park as brutal 60's architecture whilst demolishing Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian buildings left right and centre is embracing "Shithole" status, however much of a decent job is made of refurbishment.

A well known Sheffield MP complaining about plans to create enormous office, leisure and retail facilities, stating that "Sheffield people don't want expensive high end shops" is not only promoting a shithole status, but it is also promoting Sheffield people as being thick as shit, and assuming that anyone with two brain cells to rub together wouldn't visit here.

Its aversion to major road, rail and air networks is promoting a shithole, arse end of nowhere status.

As I said in my post Sheffield's problems have been mentioned before, so I didn't want to give examples, but now this thread will descend into more disagreement with those that talk about the wonderful largest village in the world that has wonderful countryside that isn't even in Sheffield and those that talk about the failed major powerhouse it should be.
Can't argue with most of that. We never seem to have anyone to champion our cause either. Our natural nature of being humble and modest maybe holds us back. It's sad.

Hates Sheffield
Hates Sheffielders
Hates United
Hates United fans.

Still fucking here.

The Premier League has made it better for the top 6 clubs and since then we see more smaller southern clubs thrive whilst the smaller northern clubs go the opposite way.

Leeds is an interesting comparison for me

On paper it’s pretty similar to Sheffield, but for some reason seems more open to outsiders and new ideas, and has that glamour that Sheffield lacks. Then it’s reflected in their team having multiple foreign investors, managers, players etc.

You could say they haven’t done much better than us in terms of PL seasons in the last 20 years, but they didn’t embarrass themselves like we have, and I can’t see term letting the N’Diaye situation happen to them... Look how they demanded top dollar for Phillips.

To sum up:

Tories are horrific
Labour are horrific
They're all horrific
^^^^This^^^^

Someone may correct me if I’m wrong but a lot of pits were making a profit when they were closed
Nope. Scargill thought the taxpayer should be on the hook and pay whatever it cost to keep pits open. The fact is pits had closed since the 1960s (far more pits were closed during Harold Wilson’s time than Thatcher’s). The Clean Air Act and the fact that the railways went from peak coal use just after WW2 to zero by August 19688 we’re major factors why coal was uneconomic to exploit.

The reality is that we can flirt with the Premier League but can't afford to buy it fancy jewellery and take it out for posh nosh.

Agreed with the plan and change of ethos totally but too many fans won't allow it to happen.

Any foreign manager won't be given time. They'd have to hit the ground running.

Despite Slav getting two sides promoted playing exciting football people were moaning about him even before results disappointed. Can't understand him, he's too passive on the touchline, he doesn't clap the fans.

Look how Wilder and even Warnock got mentioned by so many even Hecky started bring under pressure.

I've no idea how much detail and research all prospective owners do before trying to buy football clubs but I could genuinely understand a foreign buyer looking at us and thinking we might not be the best club to change the ethos and build a plan based on more than a season.

It's cringeworthy how many times I hear people say stuff like we only do well under local managers or foreigners don't get the club.
Wealthy owners are the only way to be successful at the top level and sometimes they get it wrong . Just look at the table ! It stands out like a sore thumb.
Any billionaires on this site?.
With FFP it will be harder to join them as the amount of money which can be lost has been tightened.
Man utd,Liverpool and maybe Arsenal have been elete clubs before the prem took over since then Chelsea and Man City have used the lax rules regarding losses to take advantage and joined the elite group.
This has now been closed and basically a closed shop prevails as breaking into this group will be very difficult even with billionaire owners.

To sum up:

Tories are horrific
Labour are horrific
They're all horrific
Industry does have to change with the times and some become history due to progress.
The fight between the tory government and South yorkshire Labour Party left the area with a black hole which is yet to be filled! If ever !.

Because the clubs reflect Sheffield in general. Low on ambition, Luddite council, lack of investment, poor area, mentality that we don’t want anything fancy and like hard work only.

To sum up:

Tories are horrific
Labour are horrific
They're all horrific
Well said 👏🏼

Back
Top Bottom