Match Thread EFL Cup: Burnley v. Sheffield United - 17th September 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BUR
BUR
BUR

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin

Bit harsh that.
We only had 3(possibly 4 with Burke) player's start who would be seriously considered for the starting eleven against Villa if we have everyone fit.

I'm scoring footballers on their performance, not their situation. None of the new lads looked like Kean Bryan, but no one did especially well. The wingbacks looked pretty decent.

Last edited:
I'm scoring footballers on their performance, not their situation. None of the new lads looked like Kean Bryan, but no one did especially well.

I'd also given most players 0,5 or 1 point more than your report.

Thought Lowe was very good. Looked quick and bright, good assist, some clever passes and got stuck in as well. Him, Berge and McGoldrick the biggest positives for me.

Ladies & Gentlemen.

An apology.

The scale, extent and genuinely desperate nature of the problem that we, as a club, have with McBaffling has been significantly understated by me.

My Bad. My Apologies.

UTB

PS Couldn't give 2 fooks about a missed pen in the piss pot cup. Probs done us a favour ! Bigger picture thinking.

I'd also given most players 0,5 or 1 point more than your report.

Thought Lowe was very good. Looked quick and bright, good assist, some clever passes and got stuck in as well. Him, Berge and McGoldrick the biggest positives for me.

I was a bit more cautious with the scoring given the fact we were playing against Burnley reserves in their first competitive game of the season and we were a little lucky not to lose in normal time.

Enda will be looking over his shoulder after Lowe’s performance, Berge was great, I think I’d like to see Verrips in goal for cup games and I can’t deny Sharp and McBurnie don’t work together, promising signs, Ampadu good too

I know it's tough for goali's in shootouts but Fodderingham dived the wrong way for all 5.
Looked a player devoid of confidence watching his reaction ,almost as though he expected to be beaten.
I know it's his first match but he didnt fill me with confidence.Hope Verrips was watch that ! he will fancy his chances of stepping up to no 2.
First pen. Dived the right way. Didn't save it I'll grant you, but he dived the right way.

I was a bit more cautious with the scoring given the fact we were playing against Burnley reserves in their first competitive game of the season and we were a little lucky not to lose in normal time.

Apart from putting McNeil in, I think that's about all they have for the league with injuries to Mee and Tarkowski.

Think their team was a lot closer to a PL starting team than ours.

Apart from putting McNeil in, I think that's about all they have for the league with injuries to Mee and Tarkowski.

It was seven of them started their last league game whereas we only had two Norwood and Berge.

Thought Lowe and Berge looked class. Stevens has to be looking over his shoulder now. He hasn’t looked right post-lockdown.

I’m hoping we manage to somehow pull off the Brewster or Balogun signings. We are seriously short of options Up-Front with Moose out for a while

Definitely. We made 10 changes, I would guess that there were about 6 starters tonight for them in their team. Berge, McGoldrick (hopefully) and Norwood will probably start for us and the rest missing or on the bench.

Good to hear there were many positives from tonight.

Definitely. We made 10 changes, I would guess that there were about 6 starters tonight for them in their team. Berge, McGoldrick (hopefully) and Norwood will probably start for us and the rest missing or on the bench.

Good to hear there were many positives from tonight.

I think if Ramsdale had played it'd have been a good win. We were sitting back when they scored, but sitting back on a wobbly GK never ends well and we should have tried for a second with more conviction as once we started attacking again we had no trouble fashioning chances.

To me, it feels like we need that impressive striker signing just to freshen it up and give the forwards that kick up the arse, and the team the belief that we're a club that's trying to get somewhere.

Burke is an upgrade on Robinson for me already to be honest, but a flash striker would just set it off.

Thought Berge was brilliant tonight ran the show linking the ball between defence and forwards

not sure how Ampadu has never played in prem before, he looked the most composed player on the pitch at times and his distribution was almost faultless.

Stevens must be seriously worried after watching Lowe tonight constantly looking to break forward and solid at the back too.

I think Osborn has to start over fleck at the minute if we compare this game to Monday’s. Osborn full of desire and hard work plus that penalty was a thing of beauty 👌🏻

mcgoldrick is still the best player at United and I’m glad that hasn’t changed 🐐

Took an embarrassingly long time for me to realise Wilder's nickname for Oli Burke is 'Burkey' and he's not just not realised the e is silent.

A couple of weeks ago wilder said that the squad would be stronger than the one that started last season, and tonight clearly shows that to be true, when you consider that the second string team were outplayed by burton and Sunderland in the last 2 seasons opening league cup games,in both matches the players looked poor quality and they played like they didn't know the system, all of this years squad look so much better.
Ps although we didn't progress we haven't lost tonight we drew, so to all the people who say the losing streak continues they're wrong.

it was always performance over result today. espically with how league cup has been shoe horned into season. as there were positives for winning & losing

none of the starting line up had a bad game. but if I was to be critical mcburnie got to stop being so wasteful. we need start being better in front of goal. plenty of positives. the new wing backs were great baldock & stevens have serious competition on that. ampedu was promising. Jags & Robinson were solid. midfield were good. Burke had good debut. these new players gave us something we didnt have on Monday, pace. it was england like at times with slow build up

i was thinking when the last time we won on penalties as we seemed worse than England at them. then i saw the tweet below. & did further research since huddersfield we only won 3 of our last 10 shootouts. & as the tweet says that last 1 was 5 years ago

also we escaped as the winner of the millwall/Burnley had the likely joy of man city at home

I think if Ramsdale had played it'd have been a good win. We were sitting back when they scored, but sitting back on a wobbly GK never ends well and we should have tried for a second with more conviction as once we started attacking again we had no trouble fashioning chances.

To me, it feels like we need that impressive striker signing just to freshen it up and give the forwards that kick up the arse, and the team the belief that we're a club that's trying to get somewhere.

Burke is an upgrade on Robinson for me already to be honest, but a flash striker would just set it off.

I didn't see the match Brompton, out of interest, did Burke play well?

I didn't see the match Brompton, out of interest, did Burke play well?

In my opinion yes. He didn't have that much service (a recurring theme with our strikers) so probably didn't have that much time on the ball, but considering his lack of football etc I think he did well.

Attempts to put people through with passes rather than play to feet all the time, which is something a bit different for us, he was involved in a couple of nice passing moves from what I remember, and that'll get better as he gets to know the team but most of all, he's actually fast, unlike Robinson (Burke put a great ball in that was rolling out with pace, but he got there and pulled it back across the 6 yard box, no-one was there though) and he gets stuck in.

He actually goes in looking to get the ball, not looking to look like he wanted to get the ball. Most frustrating thing about Robinson was how he neshed out of everything.

We shouldn't expect 20 goals and I'd be concerned if we don't add more up top, but for me, we've got a good deal with Burke + £3m.

Back
Top Bottom