Match Thread EFL Cup: Burnley v. Sheffield United - 17th September 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BUR
BUR
BUR

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin

Felt we did ok in that, a higher scoring draw would've been a fairer reflection.

Standout positives -

-Bogle and Lowe put in a shift. The credit has been to Bogle before a ball was kicked but Lowe looked outstanding tonight with some decent crosses and an assist.

-Berge. Effortless and Class.

-Robinson - felt he goes under the radar abit but always solid.

-Ampadu - did ok, not much to do or show what he's about. Reserving judgement.

Negatives -

Keeper - not good enough for me

Osborn - not his best but still ok. He's set a high bar for me.

Forwards - Harsh on Burke, no service but we still don't look like scoring but McBurnie put himself about abit and could've had one.

Osbourne - great pen, rest of the game not so great, doesn't possess the quality required for the prem. New lads looked decent and comfortable, could very well push for first team places very soon, good run out for what was mostly our second string against what seemed to be a strong side from Burnley.

Not great that it's 6 losses on the bounce, but not too bothered about being out of the cup.

Onto Villa on Monday to revenge the ghost goal, would love it if Brewster signed in time to play. UTB.

Lowe, Bogle, Ampadu all good in the debuts. Stevens and Baldock have their work cut out.

Berge quality.

Burke gets stuck in, I think he'll be reyt for us, lovely ball across the 6 yard box in the first half no-one was interested in.

Norwood all over the show, good shot but delivery was poor again.

Foderingham is a bit shit, let's be reyt. Saved from a certain pen by the offside flag, nowhere on the goal really though I'd have to watch it again, and that penalty shootout performance was wank. Like he was told not to try too hard.

Overall, disappointing that we've lost but felt like a good preseason game. Not really that fussed.

Didz got off the mark too, hopefully an improved showing this season goal wise.

Jack Robinson solid again.

Missed too many chances though, need that striker through the door.

Can see Ampadu starting over Norwood next game tbh, and maybe one of Lowe and Bogle. Bogle has the Berge-esque 'wading through tackles' about him, and both can beat a man with a trick.
Good summary. Agree with all of it apart from Ampadu. He doesn't mark anyone from crosses. Probably worth a try on the right of a midfield 3, dont see him as a natural CB. Berge is showing quality I didnt think he'd got when he first came, excellent player. I was critical of Mcburnie when he first came and nothing has changed my mind. He's a tryer and not much more. Anyone can miss a penalty but he should have won it in the last minute. Lowe best player in pink tonight. UTB.

Shame we are out, less game time for the reserves.

Lowe played brilliantly
Ditto Berge
Norwood looked handy on the right
Bogle did well, got caught out of position for their goal.
Ampadu didn’t do anything wrong
Burke is rapid
Jags and Foderingham looked shakey
Rest played like they normally do
Thanks for concise summary and not starting a new thread!

Hate losing against anyone in any competition and it’s pissed me off for the rest of the night.

Game next week against Millwall would have been something to watch and look forward to instead of having a night bored shitless

Must admit, find it odd that we played Fodd.
Less likely to fail had we played Ramsdale.

Scrappy game from 2 reserve teams and this early on in the season. Don't really care about the cup. Waste of time. Fairly even game. Equally poor teams! Slightly concerning that we should be a little bit ahead than Burnley as this is their first competitive game and the fact they have two players on pitch who played in League 1 last season.

We looked fairly comfortable except against long balls down the middle (in the air on on the ground). Defensive too slow to react to runners.

Foderingham - 5 - flapped, came and went back, almost gave a penalty away when he was getting nowhere near a ball. Throwing awful, kicking good. He looks like an accident waiting to happen. If Verrips isn't going out on loan, seems a bit baffling. Moore looked more secure.
Lowe - 6.5 - Always difficult for a defender to come into our system but look quite assured. Did well going forward, including setting up the goal with a rare first time ball. Less comfortable at the back but that will come.
Robinson 6 - He/s really slow when he has the ball. Seems to take an age to make a clearance and slowly winds up which gives the attacker a chance to block it. Generally fairly solid but they got in down his side.
Jags - 5.5 - Flat footed and slow. Made a good tackle at the end but had lost his man. This happened far too often. Not on his tows and slow to react. Gets a .5 for the organisation he brings to the back.
Ampadu - 6 - Looks a bit overly casual on the ball and like to try and Hollywood pass. Certainly not lacking confidence but I'm less confident about his concentration and marking. The defence faced not a lot today and Burnley got in too easily on the occasions they were direct.
Bogle - 6 Again, looked decent going forward. Notably was chasing down everything. Looked a bit exposed at the back on the rare occasions called upon but ended up against a 57 year old left back, so hard to judge.
Berge - 7 Tired badly towards the end but looked at home playing deep. Much of our best play went through him and he switched direction with simple sensible passing. Probably my MOM
Osbourn - 6 Started well and a lot of running but is very very left footed for a midfield 3. There's much more to come from him but he seems too anxious at times.
Norwood - 6.5 - Put some decent balls in and his passing was much better. Looked ok on the right hand side but I don't think he's the answer. I think we'd benefit from playing 2 sitting CMs behind a more attack-minded AMC.
McGoldrick - 6 Started well, linking things up but faded. Not much was sticking by the end. Needs fitness.
Burke - 5.5 - Put a shift in, chasing everything down and looked to have a turn of pace on him. Can't fault his workrate but I though the rest wasn't great. Poor in the air and his passing was a little rushed and under-cooked. Never really had a chance. Still, early days, at least he seems to have the applications

Sharp - 5 Ran around a bit, held it up a bit, didn't look at all dangerous
McBurnie - 5.5 The difference in pressing with him on the pitch was marked. He gave about 50% the effort of Burke. Yet, he almost scored and we looked more like scoring with him on the pitch. He's far too static when he's on the edge of the box, needs to do much more with his game if he's going to become a good top flight striker.

Overall - We're out of a fairly pointless cup which is nothing more than a few reserve team fixtures. I'd rather have the extra rest as we never fully change a side. 5th consecutive loss in a row is not a good stat though. Good workout for the new lads and it's going to take a month or two for them to settle, and a bit more fitness for Berge and McGoldrick.

I know it's tough for goali's in shootouts but Fodderingham dived the wrong way for all 5.
Looked a player devoid of confidence watching his reaction ,almost as though he expected to be beaten.
I know it's his first match but he didnt fill me with confidence.Hope Verrips was watch that ! he will fancy his chances of stepping up to no 2.

Hate losing against anyone in any competition and it’s pissed me off for the rest of the night.

Game next week against Millwall would have been something to watch and look forward to instead of having a night bored shitless
Amen brother.

I do, winning is winning and that can't be a bad thing. Also this competition offers a place in Europe so we should give a shit.

Wilder doesn't give a shit about this tournament in normal seasons, he was never going to take it seriously this season

Good summary. Agree with all of it apart from Ampadu. He doesn't mark anyone from crosses. Probably worth a try on the right of a midfield 3, dont see him as a natural CB. Berge is showing quality I didnt think he'd got when he first came, excellent player. I was critical of Mcburnie when he first came and nothing has changed my mind. He's a tryer and not much more. Anyone can miss a penalty but he should have won it in the last minute. Lowe best player in pink tonight. UTB.
When Berge joined he was making great runs into space, however the ball never went to him as it always seems like we play down the left side, probably due to Edna seemingly to be a better crosser than Baldrick. If he's now playing in the central midfield role he will see much more of the ball and against wolves everything he did looked effortless. We're so lucky to have him

Wilder doesn't give a shit about this tournament in normal seasons, he was never going to take it seriously this season

I wouldn't say he doesn't give a shit, he still expects to win even with the changes.

I wouldn't say he doesn't give a shit, he still expects to win even with the changes.

If you look at our record under him in this tournament, I'd worry if he did care all that much. He uses it as a reserve competition. The only disappointment tonight is some players are going to go months without a game now.

If you look at our record under him in this tournament, I'd worry if he did care all that much. He uses it as a reserve competition. The only disappointment tonight is some players are going to go months without a game now.

He does the same with the FA cup. His interview this morning said he gives others a chance in the early rounds to impress him and then the deeper we go he blends it with the first 11. He said he wants to win every game, he won't be happy or relieved we are out trust me.

Scrappy game from 2 reserve teams and this early on in the season. Don't really care about the cup. Waste of time. Fairly even game. Equally poor teams! Slightly concerning that we should be a little bit ahead than Burnley as this is their first competitive game and the fact they have two players on pitch who played in League 1 last season.

We looked fairly comfortable except against long balls down the middle (in the air on on the ground). Defensive too slow to react to runners.

Foderingham - 5 - flapped, came and went back, almost gave a penalty away when he was getting nowhere near a ball. Throwing awful, kicking good. He looks like an accident waiting to happen. If Verrips isn't going out on loan, seems a bit baffling. Moore looked more secure.
Lowe - 6.5 - Always difficult for a defender to come into our system but look quite assured. Did well going forward, including setting up the goal with a rare first time ball. Less comfortable at the back but that will come.
Robinson 6 - He/s really slow when he has the ball. Seems to take an age to make a clearance and slowly winds up which gives the attacker a chance to block it. Generally fairly solid but they got in down his side.
Jags - 5.5 - Flat footed and slow. Made a good tackle at the end but had lost his man. This happened far too often. Not on his tows and slow to react. Gets a .5 for the organisation he brings to the back.
Ampadu - 6 - Looks a bit overly casual on the ball and like to try and Hollywood pass. Certainly not lacking confidence but I'm less confident about his concentration and marking. The defence faced not a lot today and Burnley got in too easily on the occasions they were direct.
Bogle - 6 Again, looked decent going forward. Notably was chasing down everything. Looked a bit exposed at the back on the rare occasions called upon but ended up against a 57 year old left back, so hard to judge.
Berge - 7 Tired badly towards the end but looked at home playing deep. Much of our best play went through him and he switched direction with simple sensible passing. Probably my MOM
Osbourn - 6 Started well and a lot of running but is very very left footed for a midfield 3. There's much more to come from him but he seems too anxious at times.
Norwood - 6.5 - Put some decent balls in and his passing was much better. Looked ok on the right hand side but I don't think he's the answer. I think we'd benefit from playing 2 sitting CMs behind a more attack-minded AMC.
McGoldrick - 6 Started well, linking things up but faded. Not much was sticking by the end. Needs fitness.
Burke - 5.5 - Put a shift in, chasing everything down and looked to have a turn of pace on him. Can't fault his workrate but I though the rest wasn't great. Poor in the air and his passing was a little rushed and under-cooked. Never really had a chance. Still, early days, at least he seems to have the applications

Sharp - 5 Ran around a bit, held it up a bit, didn't look at all dangerous
McBurnie - 5.5 The difference in pressing with him on the pitch was marked. He gave about 50% the effort of Burke. Yet, he almost scored and we looked more like scoring with him on the pitch. He's far too static when he's on the edge of the box, needs to do much more with his game if he's going to become a good top flight striker.

Overall - We're out of a fairly pointless cup which is nothing more than a few reserve team fixtures. I'd rather have the extra rest as we never fully change a side. 5th consecutive loss in a row is not a good stat though. Good workout for the new lads and it's going to take a month or two for them to settle, and a bit more fitness for Berge and McGoldrick.

Bit harsh that.
We only had 3(possibly 4 with Burke) player's start who would be seriously considered for the starting eleven against Villa if we have everyone fit.

I fear if this is the best of CW upgrade to make us a better team? I know it was their first game together etc. etc. but nothing special from anyone, no one really excelled! Lowe did OK looked good going forward, Berge best MOM for us! McGoldrick did OK, Robinson OK, Osborne OK. Jags was poor, nothing up front! Norwood was sloppy gave the ball away and the least said about the goalkeeper the better, he kicked almost every ball long out of his hands, never looked good on corners! he did one good save but for the Penalty shoot-out he was never going to save a Penalty, can anyone see him playing in the Premier League, so in reality we still need a backup keeper? Very disappointing I thought someone would have step forward to claim a first team slot for the Villa game but for me none did. Very poor.

He does the same with the FA cup. His interview this morning said he gives others a chance in the early rounds to impress him and then the deeper we go he blends it with the first 11. He said he wants to win every game, he won't be happy or relieved we are out trust me.

I don't think he will be happy but I don't think it will be keeping him up tonight

Back
Top Bottom