Outgoing? Diego Di Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really? He burst through the youth ranks at a very young age, with bags of skill, lots of goals and a tug of war between England and Italy. Not to mention talk of Arrigo Sacchi calling him to ask him to play for the latter.

He's localish, forever linked with the biggest clubs in the world and yes, he has a cool name. Its also worth noting that he signed pro terms with great fanfare from the club.

Unluckily, he had a terrible injury which hampered his development. The excitement and hype is not surprising in the least.

Whats disappointing is this odd backlash that seems eager for him to have a bad attitude and a career akin to Tony Battersby. All based on rumours that he wears a cap, has a range rover and is eager for first team football. What a bastard eh?
There was no tug of war with England. But the attitude rumours come from also being a local lad, in that he can't do anything and keep it quiet.

Looks a "C" to me

54c3f398de44f_462074488.jpg
C for Cosimo.
His number one fan, and the real person who will decide if he signs the new contract.

It may well be the first letter of word he is calling the manager

The C sign for wanting a drink , Pellingrino sparkling.

If he signs Mr Clough will let him become part of the first team . It is then up to the player to repay Mr Clough back ,with performances on the field.

Simple as that . We have bigger fish to fry and more important items on the agenda over the next coming months , to look forward to and worry about.

UTB

And yet, they're still rumours.
Not sure they are rumours tbh. He's a young head strong lad with a certain amount of notoriety while having delivered little so far.
A talent no doubt but if he isn't willing to be told a few things and isn't willing to work on those aspects then Clough is right to continue to leave him out.

Looks a "C" to me

54c3f398de44f_462074488.jpg
You lot are sooooo out of touch. It's the first half of a heart. He puts his other hand with it to form the rough heart shape

It was aimed towards his family in the away end to thank/ dedicate his goal to his father. Nice touch

I noticed he signed a new sponsorship deal with adidas last week. They sponsored him before they did the blades. Would be surprised if he went to a non adidas club off the back of that.

You lot are sooooo out of touch. It's the first half of a heart. He puts his other hand with it to form the rough heart shape

It was aimed towards his family in the away end to thank/ dedicate his goal to his father. Nice touch
I agree with Flatulent Bob that his hand sign was directed at his dad. My workmate knows Diego's family especially his dad, Cosimo, who was a very good footballer for Doe Lea (a strong local side). As for agreeing to sign a new contract, my workmate's guess is as good as mine or yours!

This season, Diego has scored 5 goals in 9 appearances (granted mainly for York). He has scored a goal every 120 minutes on the pitch.

For me this is progress after a very difficult season recovering from the knee injury.

I think at the moment he'll be useful to us as an option off the bench in some games or challenged to get more experience on loan somewhere for the rest of the season.

I hope he signs a contract with us, he has enough talent to develop into a good player.

Why not put him on the bench for Wednesday's game ?

Not everything De Girolamo tries comes off, he's got things to learn when it comes to movement (he's clearly more used to coming short for the ball, rather than running in behind), but I've not seen a game from him where I've not been impressed by his talent and potential. Everybody knows about his technique, but I think his strength and balance is impressive as well. He showed that he can hold off big, experienced centre halves like Preston's. I think it would have been extremely interesting to see him alongside O'Grady.

Unless we're bringing in two new strikers I think we should keep Diego around.

Not everything De Girolamo tries comes off, he's got things to learn when it comes to movement (he's clearly more used to coming short for the ball, rather than running in behind), but I've not seen a game from him where I've not been impressed by his talent and potential. Everybody knows about his technique, but I think his strength and balance is impressive as well. He showed that he can hold off big, experienced centre halves like Preston's. I think it would have been extremely interesting to see him alongside O'Grady.

Unless we're bringing in two new strikers I think we should keep Diego around.
I think we should keep him around and more importantly so does Clough but if he doesn't want to be here and doesn't sign the new contract offered then sadly there is not a lot we can do.

I think we should keep him around and more importantly so does Clough but if he doesn't want to be here and doesn't sign the new contract offered then sadly there is not a lot we can do.

Precisely. I think we'd all like him to stay and prosper. If he thinks, however, that he's done enough to be demanding regular first-team football at United, then he's misguided, badly-advised or both. He's not assisted by the boy-band mania amongst a minority of supporters, either.

I meant keep him around for now, i.e. not send him out on loan again.

I meant keep him around for now, i.e. not send him out on loan again.
I'd actually disagree, I think signing him to a long term deal and then putting him out somewhere to learn the less glamorous parts of the game.
You would think that would suit all parties and he could come back at the start of next season, or even for the playoffs with some games, goals and confidence under his belt.

My York City mate was hoping we'd lose Saturday in the hopes he'd go back to them on loan. He was gutted that he scored :)

I'd actually disagree, I think signing him to a long term deal and then putting him out somewhere to learn the less glamorous parts of the game.
You would think that would suit all parties and he could come back at the start of next season, or even for the playoffs with some games, goals and confidence under his belt.

We didn't do that with Reed and he's doing okay.

It's not always necessary, and for all the talk of Diego's attitude, he puts in a good shift and doesn't shirk from tackles when he plays. He's had a major injury and personally I think risking that in a lower more physical league when we have have problems up front, is a mistake.

Unless we bring in 2 strikers this window, he should stay and get regular chances off the bench when needed.

If he doesn't want to sign a new contract at this stage, United can simply take up the extra year option on his current contract.
That may not actually be a bad outcome all round as the situation may become a lot clearer in the next 12-18 months.

Diego may continue to play well in the FA Cup and force himself into our first team squad?
Or we might get knocked out by Preston and he can go back out on loan and get maybe another 15 league games under his belt?

We could theoretically be in The Premiership by June 2016 or more realistically The Championship and Diego may simply not be up to playing at that level. At least we'd have a better idea of his true potential by then.
Either way, we would still be entitled to compensation for him at the end of his extended contract.
So there's no real need to panic if he won't sign a new contract this month. United still hold all the aces.

We didn't do that with Reed and he's doing okay.

It's not always necessary, and for all the talk of Diego's attitude, he puts in a good shift and doesn't shirk from tackles when he plays. He's had a major injury and personally I think risking that in a lower more physical league when we have have problems up front, is a mistake.

Unless we bring in 2 strikers this window, he should stay and get regular chances off the bench when needed.
He isn't the answer to our problems upfront as he don't work as hard as McNulty when needed to do the hard stuff. McNulty isn't exactly brilliant at it as Clough has alluded to.

He isn't the answer to our problems upfront as he don't work as hard as McNulty when needed to do the hard stuff. McNulty isn't exactly brilliant at it as Clough has alluded to.

He's not 'the' answer, he's an alternative answer. He's clearly a different player to anyone we have or will have assuming COG comes in. He's already shown in brief glimpses this season that he can cause problems if he plays in and around the 6 yard box. McNulty is good at the harrying, scrappy type of forward and is outstanding when playing against defenders unaccustomed to that. Diego has that bit more technique and in my opinion will do more damage against the odd clogger you find at this level.

United can simply take up the extra year option on his current contract.

Do we have an option though? I've only seen mention of this once in a an article by James Shield the other week. All other noises have been that his contract is up in the summer. Clough said so himself after the game on Sat.

If we're going to play two strikers now and then we need some back up though. At the moment we're basically left with Higdon and McNulty before we have to consider moving Murphy or Baxter up front. Hopefully O'Grady will come eventually, but even then we've only got McNulty looking like a suitable partner for him (O'Grady and Higdon looked poor together at Fleetwood).

Diego scored our equaliser against one of the better teams in the division, and did very well when his finish was cleared off the line. He could prove useful.

Do we have an option though? I've only seen mention of this once in a an article by James Shield the other week. All other noises have been that his contract is up in the summer. Clough said so himself after the game on Sat.

I'm sure Clough was quoted along the lines of "We have an extra year option if we want it, but we want to do things properly."

I know I am going to get shot down in flames, however here goes. He reminds me a little of Robbie Fowler. He comes alive in the box and knows where to find space and is a very instinctive finisher. These are from the highlights I saw from York and the game on Saturday as well as his cameos before he got injured. We don't have anyone else like this and he should be someone kept around the squad.

IF he does what Clough wants him to do, we could have a bargain on our hands. And I don;t give a shit whether he's called Diego or Terry. He's a lad brought up in Chesterfield and I think some of you should cut him some slack.

I'm sure Clough was quoted along the lines of "We have an extra year option if we want it, but we want to do things properly."

We have a one year option but Clough doesn't want to have to use it. But will if a contract isn't agreed

If we're going to play two strikers now and then we need some back up though. At the moment we're basically left with Higdon and McNulty before we have to consider moving Murphy or Baxter up front. Hopefully O'Grady will come eventually, but even then we've only got McNulty looking like a suitable partner for him (O'Grady and Higdon looked poor together at Fleetwood).

Diego scored our equaliser against one of the better teams in the division, and did very well when his finish was cleared off the line. He could prove useful.
I think we'll bring two in, so we'll have plenty, especially if you include Murphy and Baxter who can play as a second striker.

I think we'll bring two in, so we'll have plenty, especially if you include Murphy and Baxter who can play as a second striker.

And therein lies one of our problems, take a player from their best position to fill a secondary role, leaving a hole elsewhere in the 11.

And therein lies one of our problems, take a player from their best position to fill a secondary role, leaving a hole elsewhere in the 11.
Hardly a hole, have you seen a list of our midfielders?
Flynny, Flo, Scoogs, JCR, Adams, Wallace, Coutts could all cover their position out wide.
Scoogs, Flo, Wallace (x2), Dimaio, Reed, could cover in the middle.

How many do we need?

Back
Top Bottom