Incoming? Folarin Balogun

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Give over ,some of the negativity on here about wilders signings that are already here and the way we play has been way over the top given the circumstances

A lot of talk over the last few years about the special bond between the fans and players and around the club but it appears that's only when we are winning

'Team spirit is an illusion glimpsed in the aftermath of victory' - Steve Archibald.

Not directed at you Eddie, but some others, but can anyone actually cite any of these 'Wilder out' posts? Cos I've seen plenty of people unhappy with our start but I haven't seen anyone suggest the board fire Chris Wilder.

You can't base last years stats on this.
Nor previous seasons negative attitudes,as has been the way for a portion of our glass half empty fans making prediction based on it being 'The Blades way'.
Just an alternative thought.
I do wonder sometimes if footy fans enjoy the unfolding of a season,it's highs and lows and unpredictability. Like a microcosm of life itself.😉

Go on any team's message boards or amongst any fan base and you'll find perennial whingers who seemingly can't wait for something negative, fans who get concerned quicker than others but mean well, fans with more patience or more laid back, and holier than thou types who like to portray themselves as the better fans and often have little to say other than criticising certain other fans.

Sheffield United fans are no better or worse than any other despite what plenty will have you believe.

Playing for the U23s today.

All very quiet regarding this kid. I'm still (in my endless Blades optimism), hoping we get him in for 6 or 7 million quid to develop/mould into Brewster's strike partner next season.

I know there's loads of talk about finances. Rightfully.

But also, our club know what they're doing these days and are very savvy too.

8 million here may be a steal AND might mean we don't need to buy another striker for 5/6/7 transfer windows.

I don't get their stance if he isn't signing a deal.

Within 3 months of the window closing, he signs for OH Leuven on a pre-contract for free and by the first week in July he's a Leicester player for a nominal fee. He's approached by Rangers or Celtic, offered European football for a year before a bigger move in a year or so.

That's a distinct possibility they face.

So why they are looking for an unrealistic fee is a bit beyond me. Unless they are just prepared to wait until the last minute to get a deal from someone desperate or maybe even January for the same reason.

In another thread I thought 33m for a player with no Prem experience was madness. I'm not sure 15m for a player with no experience in men's football is any less. He could be the next big thing. Or he could be the next Solanke, Afobe etc.

Arsenal are paying Ozil a reported £18m per year to do absolutely nothing.

£3m is loose change to them and they know we need a striker so are probably prepared to take the risk of losing the player for nothing in 12 months instead of selling him on the cheap. If we want the player it'll probably work and they'll get a bit more money out of us. If not they'll not lose any sleep about turning down £3m (reportedly).

All very quiet regarding this kid. I'm still (in my endless Blades optimism), hoping we get him in for 6 or 7 million quid to develop/mould into Brewster's strike partner next season.

8 million here may be a steal AND might mean we don't need to buy another striker for 5/6/7 transfer windows.

I reckon that we wanted both him and Brewster in with moose out for the LT.

However , I think that JOC’s injury has probably put an end to that and we’ll go back in for him only if we can’t get Brewster (still a likely outcome imo). Our finances will need to go to getting a LCB in.

shame as it’s a lower risk oppertunity to get someone in, before he can sign abroad

I reckon that we wanted both him and Brewster in with moose out for the LT.

However , I think that JOC’s injury has probably put an end to that and we’ll go back in for him only if we can’t get Brewster (still a likely outcome imo). Our finances will need to go to getting a LCB in.

shame as it’s a lower risk oppertunity to get someone in, before he can sign abroad
I see what you're saying, you may be right. But I just can't imagine we'll be buying an LCB. They're scarce and expensive, so was thinking a loan seems more likely.

If the board need finance ask the fans to pay for their season tickets at last years prices and owe us games when we come back in a few years!

It’s this lad OR Brewster.

Think about it, our current preferred style of play is for the wide centrebacks to allow an overload out wide and then to get bodies supporting the strikers in the box.
When we do this we create chances against anyone we play.
We could therefore play 2 strikers....finishers who have great movement, pace and mobility.
However, and this is the crucial bit, we are presently struggling to get the overloads. Key players have struggled since the restart from Covid, the main issue being JOC.
He’s now out for the season, and we do t have a credible alternative that was left footed and able to defend like JOC as well as get those overlaps and crosses in.
So we will simply have to adapt our tactics and strategy and look for more direct balls forwards, meaning we need a big unit up top who can get hold of the ball and allow us to build attacks from further forwards rather than from the back.
So I suspect we may well drop interest in one of these and be forced to look at options for JOC. Problem is, there’s no options I’m aware of...so we may have to look at an out and out defender and adapt other areas of the pitch.
Maybe a rigid 3-5-2....or 3-4-1-2 Amps/Egan/Robinson as the back three.
Then look at the wing backs and decide if we can go more attacking there...with maybe Bogle coming in. Bogle/Berge/Norwood/Enda
Then we can either put Fleck in the 10...or Didsy, with 2 from McB, Burke, Sharp, Didz and hopefully Brewster.
All theory, but regardless of the issues with Wilders squad he certainly has options, and with the extra depth of squad allows us to swap players up and keep them fresh.

Above might all be wasted on this thread but never mind

Think about it, our current preferred style of play is for the wide centrebacks to allow an overload out wide and then to get bodies supporting the strikers in the box.
We could therefore play 2 strikers....finishers who have great movement, pace and mobility.
However, and this is the crucial bit, we are presently struggling to get the overloads. Key players have struggled since the restart from Covid, the main issue being JOC.
He’s now out for the season, and we do t have a credible alternative that was left footed and able to defend like JOC as well as get those overlaps and crosses in.
So we will simply have to adapt our tactics and strategy and look for more direct balls forwards, meaning we need a big unit up top who can get hold of the ball and allow us to build attacks from further forwards rather than from the back.
So I suspect we may well drop interest in one of these and be forced to look at options for JOC. Problem is, there’s no options I’m aware of...so we may have to look at an out and out defender and adapt other areas of the pitch.
Then look at the wing backs and decide if we can go more attacking there...with maybe Bogle coming in. Bogle/Berge/Norwood/Enda
Then we can either put Fleck in the 10...or Didsy, with 2 from McB, Burke, Sharp, Didz and hopefully Brewster.
All theory, but regardless of the issues with Wilders squad he certainly has options, and with the extra depth of squad allows us to swap players up and keep them fresh.

Correct ! It has wasted me.

Interesting discussion/thoughts. Certainly possible we see more tweaks.

Though I still see Balogun as a major investment with "minor" outlay. If we had the cash, we'd presumably get both. Even if not on pitch at same time much due to whatever reason.

It’s just been mentioned by Hugh wizzy who has been fairly ITK with some arsenal stuff like the aubamayang contract etc that the deal arsenal have offered him isn’t signed and that we bid 6 mill in the summer and still retain an interest. He’s also said Liverpool have offered him a deal aswell.

It’s just been mentioned by Hugh wizzy who has been fairly ITK with some arsenal stuff like the aubamayang contract etc that the deal arsenal have offered him isn’t signed and that we bid 6 mill in the summer and still retain an interest. He’s also said Liverpool have offered him a deal aswell.

All hindsight and that but maybe offering abit more for him and still having 10m plus for a left centre back or midfielder would have been the way to go in the summer.... who knows??

While we may retain and interest but I can’t imagine he retains any interest in playing in the championship next season.

Absolutely no way this kid has the stones to come to a relegation threatened club in January. If he does, I’m buying a blades away shirt with BALOGUN on the back.

All hindsight and that but maybe offering abit more for him and still having 10m plus for a left centre back or midfielder would have been the way to go in the summer.... who knows??

While we may retain and interest but I can’t imagine he retains any interest in playing in the championship next season.
Swings and roundabouts but given the lack of rumours about us looking for players in those positions at the time we were chasing Brewster it might not have been a case of one or the other but we might’ve been chasing both especially given the disparity in fees for the two.

In terms of would have come I honestly don’t know. Given the clubs who have reportedly had interest in him his options are Liverpool’s U23’s at which point he’s be better off at arsenal he’d certainly have more chance of playing and I’d imagine they could match Liverpool’s offer wage wise. Then it’s us or Brentford now we might swap places next year or we might not who knows. Brentford obviously London club play nice football would be a good move but when we’re playing properly so do we and for once we probably pay more than Brentford now. Also he will know a few of our boys Brewster is a London boy and balogun has played youth football for England so it’s likely they’ve come into contact ditto rammers. Is it likely ? No. Is it possible? It could be.

Absolutely no way this kid has the stones to come to a relegation threatened club in January. If he does, I’m buying a blades away shirt with BALOGUN on the back.
It depends with this kid his messaging around signing a new deal has been consistent now for the last 18 months it’s all about game time he sounds level headed about what he wants to achieve and how he wants to get there. If he thinks game time is what’s most important there’s every chance he makes a championship or lower prem move. It’s a bit surreal in this age of talented youngsters signing on then sitting on hefty pay packets at top clubs till they’re in their mid 20’s but all the noises around this kid suggest he wants to move.

It depends with this kid his messaging around signing a new deal has been consistent now for the last 18 months it’s all about game time he sounds level headed about what he wants to achieve and how he wants to get there. If he thinks game time is what’s most important there’s every chance he makes a championship or lower prem move. It’s a bit surreal in this age of talented youngsters signing on then sitting on hefty pay packets at top clubs till they’re in their mid 20’s but all the noises around this kid suggest he wants to move.
problem is its likely to be the same problem for balogun as brewster or any strikers we sign we just havent got the creativity or quality in midfield to make any chances for our forward even if were in the championship thats the area we have to invest in

problem is its likely to be the same problem for balogun as brewster or any strikers we sign we just havent got the creativity or quality in midfield to make any chances for our forward even if were in the championship thats the area we have to invest in
Again I agree with you this would be one with an eye to the future and likely wouldn’t cost us anything this year as any fee would have to be decided at tribunal and that can take years. For reference Liverpool still haven’t paid up for Harvey Elliott despite being able to loan him out to Blackburn in return for a loan fee which is erm........ interesting whichever way you slice it.

Again I agree with you this would be one with an eye to the future and likely wouldn’t cost us anything this year as any fee would have to be decided at tribunal and that can take years. For reference Liverpool still haven’t paid up for Harvey Elliott despite being able to loan him out to Blackburn in return for a loan fee which is erm........ interesting whichever way you slice it.
think we will have a completely new midfield next season im just hoping we dont carry on with the flat 3

think we will have a completely new midfield next season im just hoping we dont carry on with the flat 3
We might do. I’d expect us to at least retain the ability to deploy the flat 3 against better sides it’ll depend what division we’re in I guess.

We might do. I’d expect us to at least retain the ability to deploy the flat 3 against better sides it’ll depend what division we’re in I guess.
90% certain to be the championship so i would expect us to go back to the old 3412 be interesting who we would bring in for the duffy role

Back
Top Bottom