Diego de Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How many turn outs for the first team? Can only remember the cup game away at Preston.
Football is full of shattered dreams for lads like him.

Do you know the lad?

Do you really think that a young lad who has played for Cheltenham, Chesterfield, Macclesfield and now Buxton has an overinflated ego?

I know lads who have played for a lot worse teams than them who have overinflated egos. I’m not this lad has one, however

In reality just shows how cut throat football is.. few caps for italy youth side who could blame the lad for aiming high, just shows second chances are rare in this game!

It is certainly better to do it the other way.
David Frain qualified plumber before he got his chance.

I know lads who have played for a lot worse teams than them who have overinflated egos. I’m not this lad has one, however
Agree. Played from local saturday leagur up to north east counties level and some of the most deluded bigheads were playing at the local level. Found more balanced lads the higher I played.

Yes there are a lot of Blades who are loving having a laugh at DDG signing for Buxton. I wonder how close the twitterati intelligentsia got to playing for United or having a career at whatever modest level in football.

To be fair mos, I think you're misreading a lot of what's being said about the DGL situation . Whilst there are clearly some posters who seem to relish the fact that DGLs fall from grace looks terminal, this is almost certainly predicated upon by his alleged ' attitude ' problem . For most however the point seems to be that it's incredibly difficult knowing if a player will fulfil their potential at the age of 18-19 . Consequently it's a real gamble for both ourselves AND any buying club if they're sold . Basically for every DCL there's 3 or 4 DGLs .

And the moral of this story is simple . Just hold fire before panning the club over the sale of the next potential 18 year old superstar . *

* I'm not saying that you are panning the club btw .

More importantly, now up to page 6 talking about a former youth player who, for one reason or another (most very likely - hitting his ability ceiling) didn’t make it at the club.
Happens to youth players all the time throughout the world of football.

I don’t understand the obsession. Isn’t it time to simply move on?
I couldn’t care less where he ended up or who he plays for and I can’t work out why others do? (unless you’re mates/family, in which case why bring him up on a Blades forum?)

To be fair mos, I think you're misreading a lot of what's being said about the DGL situation . Whilst there are clearly some posters who seem to relish the fact that DGLs fall from grace looks terminal, this is almost certainly predicated upon by his alleged ' attitude ' problem . For most however the point seems to be that it's incredibly difficult knowing if a player will fulfil their potential at the age of 18-19 . Consequently it's a real gamble for both ourselves AND any buying club if they're sold . Basically for every DCL there's 3 or 4 DGLs .

And the moral of this story is simple . Just hold fire before panning the club over the sale of the next potential 18 year old superstar . *

The comparison between DCL and DGL is interesting. DCL didn't have any of the hype but is carving a career out in the Premier League, DGL has fallen out of the ranks of professional football, surely not because he lacks talent as he clearly had this. Yet we don't know why. Desire? Commitment? Not getting a break?

I think when players work hard and achieve something its easier to see how it went right, when players disappear through the ranks, its never cut and dry.

DGL is still young and if he wants it, he'll get his head down and get on with it.

Alternatively, perhaps professional football just isn't for him, plenty of kids love playing football, but when it becomes a job, perhaps the love dies.

Hopefully he'll enjoy his football playing at Buxton

Not panning the club at all on this one CHL. What does annoy me are supporters and of course it is not just blades who take great delight in the failure (percieved or otherwise) of former players.

Of course so far it hasn't worked out for DDG. There were great things expected of him and it didn't happen. Maybe he believed the hype surrounding him and thought that innate 'talent' would carry him through. Maybe as SwissBlade says that pro football for whatever reason is just not for him. But he does seem to be still trying to give it a go and play at whatever level he can. So good luck to him and as a Blade and Academy lad I hope he does well.

More importantly, now up to page 6 talking about a former youth player who, for one reason or another (most very likely - hitting his ability ceiling) didn’t make it at the club.
Happens to youth players all the time throughout the world of football.

I don’t understand the obsession. Isn’t it time to simply move on?
I couldn’t care less where he ended up or who he plays for and I can’t work out why others do? (unless you’re mates/family, in which case why bring him up on a Blades forum?)

Yes it is probably that, more than likely. I remember watching young players, back in the era of SUFC vs MUFC in the FA youth cup final. First leg at BDTBL, the stand out players for me were Harry Maguire and Paul Pogba. I wrote on Sheffield Forum (a local, pig controlled forum) at the time, that Maguire looked like a man amongst boys, big, strong, no nonsense. George Long did well, and the other stand out was Matty Harriott. Pogba was tall, skinny and fast, skilful.

Of course, Maguire and Pogba have gone on to play at the highest level, George Long still playing football at a lower level. Matty Harriott plays in the 6th tier for Wieldstone FC. Other from that era also dropped into non-league, Jordan Slew playing at Radcliffe, and looks like he has only scored a dozen goals in the last 8 years.

DDG is still only 22, he may end up doing a "Jamie Vardy" and come back into the upper tiers later in life.

GLTTL.

Goof look to the lad obviously. Still time to make a name for himself. If he does well for Buxton it won't be long before scouts come sniffing. Often being a talented youngster is more of a burden and those that are less talented that have to work harder can sometimes have a more grounded attitude. When you're super talented you have to have the right attitude to go with it and I'm guessing Diego didn't but as I say still time. This could be the making of him.

Plenty of footballers have had to go down the leagues to come back up, Vardy being the obvious example. There is hope for him if he has the right attitude and drive.
Personally I hope he does well for himself. As others have said I would have loved to have his ability when I was younger and made a career as a footballer so can only wish him good luck.
In relation to those apparently enjoying his footballing demise if that is what it is I guess some of that is about not wanting to think the club has let go someone who goes on to be a star. We’ve spent plenty of time taking the piss about Vardy so don’t want it thrown back.
This will always happen though because players develop at different speeds and some need to fail to drive them on to be successful

Yes it is probably that, more than likely. I remember watching young players, back in the era of SUFC vs MUFC in the FA youth cup final. First leg at BDTBL, the stand out players for me were Harry Maguire and Paul Pogba. I wrote on Sheffield Forum (a local, pig controlled forum) at the time, that Maguire looked like a man amongst boys, big, strong, no nonsense. George Long did well, and the other stand out was Matty Harriott. Pogba was tall, skinny and fast, skilful.

Of course, Maguire and Pogba have gone on to play at the highest level, George Long still playing football at a lower level. Matty Harriott plays in the 6th tier for Wieldstone FC. Other from that era also dropped into non-league, Jordan Slew playing at Radcliffe, and looks like he has only scored a dozen goals in the last 8 years.

DDG is still only 22, he may end up doing a "Jamie Vardy" and come back into the upper tiers later in life.

GLTTL.

Four of Man Utd's team that match haven't fared too badly, the one great failure is ravel morrision.

Sam Johnstone
Michael Keane
Jese Lingard
Paul Pogba

The comparison between DCL and DGL is interesting. DCL didn't have any of the hype but is carving a career out in the Premier League, DGL has fallen out of the ranks of professional football, surely not because he lacks talent as he clearly had this. Yet we don't know why. Desire? Commitment? Not getting a break?

I think when players work hard and achieve something its easier to see how it went right, when players disappear through the ranks, its never cut and dry.

DGL is still young and if he wants it, he'll get his head down and get on with it.

Alternatively, perhaps professional football just isn't for him, plenty of kids love playing football, but when it becomes a job, perhaps the love dies.

Hopefully he'll enjoy his football playing at Buxton

He won’t play at home for 3 months in the winter due to snow so it’s an easy gig.

Diego's brother plays for Buxton which is probably why he's ended up there.

The ACL and (to a lesser extent) rumours about his attitude ruined the poor lad. You don't get personal pleas from Arrigo Sacchi, Italian youth caps and endorsements from Adidas for no reason. The hype was real, the talent was real, but unfortunately so was the career ruining injury which occurred at the worst possible time.

The ACL and (to a lesser extent) rumours about his attitude ruined the poor lad. You don't get personal pleas from Arrigo Sacchi, Italian youth caps and endorsements from Adidas for no reason. The hype was real, the talent was real, but unfortunately so was the career ruining injury which occurred at the worst possible time.

And of course, believing his own hype didn’t exactly help his cause. He didn’t come across well on social media after his injury when he started openly complaining that he wasn’t getting a start. In my opinion the lad should have kept his trap shut, knuckled down and proved why he deserved a chance in the first team rather than airing his grievances on social media.

Ah, the poor, poor lad...

Adidas and Nike hoover up all the youngsters whether they are good or crap. They lure them in with these endorsements and who is going to turn them down when you’re young, playing football, these big companies come knocking offering free shit just as long as they wear them and stick “Adidas Athelete” on their Twitter profile.

What a talent this kid was. Probably the most talented kid I’ve seen who has yet to make use of it, a real shame because I’d have paid good money to watch the lad in his early teens never mind his adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom