Diego de Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And I stand by my "18 year old are dickheads" comment. I'm not saying they are bad people. But they are generally daft, selfish, completely unaware of how to get by in life etc. I'm sorry if all the 18 year old you've known are well rounded adults

I get what you're saying I just don't think someone's a dick head for being 18 but apparently you do.

I just find it frustrating how football fans try and attach a narrative to every single player. It's like mousset right now, half our fans are calling him a dick head who's lazy this that and the other when they have absolutely no idea what's going off in his life.

a very young foreign player who suffered the loss of one of his closest friends before getting quarantined in a foreign country on his own for 3 months. Has a great goal disallowed at city away and can't seem to catch a break yet all the posters on here say he has personality problems and doesn't work hard enough..

I think your comments will have hopefully put a few people right. It’s easy from the outside to make judgements, particularly towards talented individuals with the potential to earn very decent money and who might have the confidence to boot. It’s why the flash cars get criticised. Christ knows there are more important things to focus on. But it’s always happened and always will happen, it’s just now everyone can read what everyone thinks or says. Fair play for saying your bit. And fair play Ball_Sup (Phil) for not getting drawn into any guessing games about why he didn’t make it. I think the way you talk about the young players Phil - never saying “he’s destined to be great” or “he’s rubbish, won’t make it” - is exactly the kind of way these kids should be written about now that the world and his wife can read what’s online. I think the whole bloody internet could probably learn a thing or two about that probably.

What personality issues were they then? and what made him a dick head? Not scoring 200 goals for united?

The Clough/car thing was strange. Cosimo is a very wealthy man, like many wealthy parents he got his son a nice car.

Yes there was a lot of hype but for that injury, who knows?

I can't be arsed to sift through some of the shit that some people are posting but seen his dad mentioned a few times, Kozzy was and is an absolute top man who kept him grounded and pushed him through to succeed.

Hang on, is anyone else going to address the elephant in the room?

Rob Kosluk is Diego’s dad??!!

So does that mean... Kozzy_is_my_Dad ...

Is Diego???!!

Unfortunately, I'm going to allow myself to say something Pompous. When you see these kids. Putting the lot in. Wearing a Utd shirt. Up close from the touchline. It humanises them a lot. They're just kids who want to make it. I ain't got it in me to think bad of them. You can put that on a t-shirt if you like.

Some of the messages and uneducated posts on here by fully grown men are a fucking joke and some of you need to have a long hard look at yourselves and consider what you actually know about Diego.

I was a year above him at United and knew him from being 7 years old, right through to u18/reserves and was one of my best friends on the team and outside of football too.

He was known as an outstanding talent from being very very young and consistently played years above his age group. Not many at all do that, considering you're already a part of the best group of players from a 40 mile radius never mind to be able to play in the years ahead on a consistent basis too. I remember playing against Birmingham as a 2nd year scholar when he was a first year, he scored 4 in 2 games against them and all 4 were outside of the box, including an overhead kick. Every single team we played against knew who he was and knew exactly how good he was at that time.

I was in a changing room when Jamie Hoyland (excellent coach, wealth of experience and true blade) who was the u18 manager at the time described him as the best footballer he had ever seen in academy football, and nobody in that changing room doubted it and Jamie had coached at Preston for 10+ years before he came to us.

People saw him as this "big time charlie" or whatever people want to think about him when the truth was in training he was consistently one of the hardest working players we had, he had immense confidence in his own ability and thats perhaps why people see it as arrogance but anyone who played with him knew that it was the same confidence that enabled him to excel doing things other people couldn't.

United rejected approaches from Arsenal and Everton (1m) for a player that was head and shoulders above everyone else at his age group across the country at the time before doing his ACL when playing for Italy. He never quite managed to regain the same momentum he had before that injury but with his talent I'll always remember him as being one of the very very best to not "make it".

I don't think people should talk about him in a way that they do when he could've easily left for another club at the time but chose to stay at Sheff utd and work with Danny Wilson who would've had him playing every week.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out, it wasn't through his "attitude" or whatever people try and make up to justify abusing someone they have absolutely no idea about.

I can't be arsed to sift through some of the shit that some people are posting but seen his dad mentioned a few times, Kozzy was and is an absolute top man who kept him grounded and pushed him through to succeed. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, i don't see why fully grown men have to abuse a kid who wanted it just as bad as anyone else.

The club was a fucking mess from top to bottom at that time of him coming through, we had 3 u18 managers in 2 years along with however many first team managers. I'm just glad i wasn't at the club when funny little nigel came along after some of the things I heard about him.

Well you'll know him better than most on here, albeit it sounds like not as well now, as you did then, and his story has changed quite a bit since, hasn't it? Football fans on a forum will be football fans on a forum, they'll judge, surmise and dabble in opinion, because they've little else to be going on. It's plausible to see where common opinions of DDG stem from, but not based on anything as concrete as you'd personally know. I think his story is an interesting one and it's probably as much due to circumstance as anything, as he was emerging the club was in a dire place and suddenly this hot shot academy striker is scoring for fun? It was a glimmer of hope for the club. Then the surname De Girolamo is hardly very South Yorkshire is it? There's an element of intrigue about it all. Ignoring that he's from Chezzy, that is...

I've wondered a few things, based on hunches of my own, and wondered if there was anything in them?

1. When a player is scoring for fun in academy age groups, they become accustomed to being head and shoulders above the rest. It's almost all they've ever known. It doesn't lend itself to needing to graft. At some point, you find your level when that natural ability alone won't cut it - and for DDG, I'm wondering whether that was eventually the men's level? Coupled with the difficult injury, of course.

2. Having the positive early career and success is great, but the more striaght forward journey, doesn't necessarily build resilience. Common definitions of resilience include reference to learning to bounce back during difficult times or adversity. I'm wondering whether, given his early and prolonged success, he never developed that resilience for when things eventually got harder, until later, when it was almost too late. Point 1 above. Contrast that with Vardy, for example - early rejections and failures are a test of character, that build resilience, and resilience is needed for longevity and longer-term success.

3. Then there's core constructs - how an individual views themselves, or the opinions and perspectives other people have given to you over the years. I'm wondering if he, as with young players, was used to being talked about as the next big thing, a guaranteed star of sorts. When the going eventually gets tough, when he reaches the men's game, that brings an uncomfortable discongruity. Which is it? "Am I Diego the world beater, that everyone has always told me I am, or am I not good enough for this level?" I'm wondering if he ever experienced that. Not entirely his fault of course, but a victim of his own hype. We've seen with others, e.g. Ravel, that they can then resent needing to work to earn their continued reputation or success.

3. When you are used to a certain standard of living, and as we are told, family life has been fortunate and comfortable for him - does that breed that same level of work ethic and motivation to earn that for yourself (e.g. via football) if you don't need to, if you have family wealth anyway? As has been said, wealthy Dad buys young son nice car, nothing unusual there, but does it hamper the drive to succeed a little? Not sure how his professional drive was, to be the best of the bunch?

People are again deducing based on what they've heard of other bright young footballers, elsewhere - myself included. Of course all of these interpretations focus on the individual, and there may be wider, circumstantial explanations too. But it does intrigue me, the psychology of sport, and the importance of developing resilience. Fast forward a few years and now, he's not really played consistenly, anywhere.

Hang on, is anyone else going to address the elephant in the room?

Rob Kosluk is Diego’s dad??!!

So does that mean... Kozzy_is_my_Dad ...

Is Diego???!!
I was in a petrol station (Tesco at Newbold) and Diego was in front of me buying 2 packets of wine gums, always knew from that point he’d never make it.

Scored a hat trick last night for Buxton. Spoke to a couple of people who went and they said he could have had 5. Best player on the pitch.

I think him and Che Adams both left at the same time and their paths have gone in completely different directions.

He may well be capable of playing at a higher level than he's currently playing at.

Scored a hat trick last night for Buxton. Spoke to a couple of people who went and they said he could have had 5. Best player on the pitch.

I think him and Che Adams both left at the same time and their paths have gone in completely different directions.

He may well be capable of playing at a higher level than he's currently playing at.

Be a cracking story if he came back from it all. Heartbreaking stuff what happened to him when it was seemingly all mapped out.

Great to hear he's still playing and making a fist of it, as I don't doubt he'll have some mental demons & playing will help with all of that.

Quite unreal that him and Shaun Millar both got injured at the same time, not long to be followed by Nick Blackman getting flogged. For those that question the Prince, maybe be thankful for what you have.

Still if that hasn't have happened we'd have missed out on seeing Dave Kitson, Johnathan Forte and Joe Ironside famously wearing the red and white! Good to see the latter doing well at Cambridge.

One further point on the Buxton game last night. Diego scored 3 and Jamie Ward scored the other in a 4-01 victory over Whitby Town.

I got him on a free transfer on FM the other day and we had a massive bust up because he had the stones to ask for a better contract after playing only 5 games.

Long story short he's currently rotting away in Porthmadog under 19s with 2 years left on his current deal.

Back
Top Bottom