Derby fans aren't happy (and I don't blame them)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would solve the problem of half time queues for a beer. You could wait for the half time whistle, jog down, get a beer and just join the back of the queue to get a second beer and still be back in your seat for the start of the second half.
And they’d still fuck your order up.

Would solve the problem of half time queues for a beer. You could wait for the half time whistle, jog down, get a beer and just join the back of the queue to get a second beer and still be back in your seat for the start of the second half.
You probably still wouldn't get served until just before start of second half for the first pint.

I was shocked when I saw the prices. I had to give up my ST in 2009 and have only managed to get back to the Lane 3/4 times since and even then, one I remember £25 to see us at home to Barnsley the season we went down to League One, I remember being surprised by that even then 10 years ago or so. I know businesses have been feeling the pinch with the pandemic and the lack of ticket revenue will have hit a lot of clubs hard, especially some of the richer clubs, who even if they're charging in the £80 bracket, the wages of very expensive signings and new contracts for players like Marcus Rashford on £200k a week still have to be paid and clubs suffering the lack of a ticket income, not to mention programmes, food bar revenue and other corporate opportunities, in Man U's case all the money raised from things like tours of the ground and large scale business conferences in their hospitality suites probably means a big hit for a club even of their size. I can't utterly condone it but can understand... to a point. I do agree though, that there's a definite agenda to price the working classes out of football stadiums in the near future. I also can see why when I read some of the stuff about the fans today, not that we've always been like that but it does seem we've attracted a new breed of angry young people in the mix, I can remember the first elements of it I noticed up the back of the Kop, maybe 12 years ago? Not good, especially throwing full pop bottles in to a goalmouth, jesus that is just senseless.

Reactions: Dkc
That's the strange thing about our pricing. My memory is terrible, but pretty sure when I was that age, in the '90s, the difference between paying on the day and a season ticket was only a few games every year but now it's huge.

You're basically paying a similar amount to going to say a play at the Crucible but without any guarantee of entertainment or staying dry or being able to buy any food or drink in the intermission!
Late reply i know, but it’s the price we are paying for being bottom feeders the last 18 months I fear!

They’re a well supported club, so would expect them to sell out, even given the price. It’s like similar instances where we have boycotted - Bolton away in League One… we sold 4K in the end. Man Utd in the FA Cup is another that springs to mind.

They brought the biggest away following I have ever seen at the Lane for the Cup tie in 1986. Only Burnley in 1993, and Derby themselves in the league the following year, comes close.

They’re a well supported club, so would expect them to sell out, even given the price. It’s like similar instances where we have boycotted - Bolton away in League One… we sold 4K in the end. Man Utd in the FA Cup is another that springs to mind.

This season away teams are allocated a max of 2,550 tickets, that’s the amount Birmingham sold.
Derby have sold just their initial allocation of 1,565 tickets.

I think they’ll bring just over 2K….more than decent for a club in turmoil at the bigger than average prices
However I’d be really surprised if they sell their full allocation, that would be another 1000 tickets that need shifting.

As mentioned by Kareokeblade “market forces” determine a price for anything.
If we get 29K for our match at home to Derby, then the facts prove this high price experiment was a success.
Appreciate people say we need to plan for the future and encourage more fans
but our ground only holds 32K so growing our future fanbase isn’t top priority at the moment.
Due to Wednesday struggling we now seem to have grown a solid 25K fanbase for home matches, this is fantastic progress compared to 20 years ago.

Last edited:
They brought the biggest away following I have ever seen at the Lane for the Cup tie in 1986. Only Burnley in 1993, and Derby themselves in the league the following year, comes close.

yes, I remember that Burnley game - didn't we give them the G & H section of South Stand as well as the whole (old) BL end?

UTB

This season away teams are allocated a max of 2,550 tickets, that’s the amount Birmingham sold.
Derby have sold just their initial allocation of 1,565 tickets.

I think they’ll bring just over 2K….more than decent for a club in turmoil at the bigger than average prices
However I’d be really surprised if they sell their full allocation, that would be another 1000 tickets that need shifting.

As mentioned by Kareokeblade “market forces” determine a price for anything.
If we get 29K for our match at home to Derby, then the facts prove this high price experiment was a success.
Appreciate people say we need to plan for the future and encourage more fans
but our ground only holds 32K so growing our future fanbase isn’t top priority at the moment.
Due to Wednesday struggling we now seem to have grown a solid 25K fanbase for home matches, this is fantastic progress compared to 20 years ago.
Do we know why the away allocation keeps getting shrunk? The lower tier holds just shy of 3k. Missing out on potentially 500 sales at 30 odd quid a pop, isn't to be sniffed at.

yes, I remember that Burnley game - didn't we give them the G & H section of South Stand as well as the whole (old) BL end?

UTB
Bert can't ever remember away fans in the South Stand.
It's design doesn't allow for segregation.

Matchday prices are much more reasonable for the midweek Millwall game.

Bert can't ever remember away fans in the South Stand.
It's design doesn't allow for segregation.

I think Bert is wrong on this occasion.

Third round of t'Cup and I think they were in the Third Division and us in the newly created prem. Squillions of them came for the 'big match'.

We'd been in Scotland for New Year and came back over the Snake with a Burnley fans on our tail. They'd spotted the Blades sticker when we'd passed them and followed us home to get directions down. We got them parked up and had a pint with them, decent lads all.

Do we know why the away allocation keeps getting shrunk? The lower tier holds just shy of 3k. Missing out on potentially 500 sales at 30 odd quid a pop, isn't to be sniffed at.

Assume it’s a SAG issue.
A PL rule is any club going up must allocate away fans 3000 tickets or 10% of their ground, which ever is lower.
The PL are willing to show discretion and allow slightly less than 3000 if the ground design makes it impossible.
When it comes to the PL then SAG wishes are no longer important.

When we were in the PL in 2007 we gave away clubs 2,990 tickets.
I believe last season we gave away clubs 2,950 tickets, so not quite the 3000 but the PL allowed it.

At least it’s an improvement on the seasons when we were last in league 1 and the Championship.
A few years ago for a number of seasons SAG was only allowing us to give away clubs a max of 2,100 to 2,250…it seems to vary slightly from match to match.
For the last Sheffield derby, owls fans were only given 2,100 tickets.
In previous seasons there was red netting in both corner flag areas and even the first 2 rows at the front of the whole away end were netted off.

So now that SAG are allowing us to sell 2,550 of the 2,950 available seats, it’s a welcome improvement.

Fair play to them for selling out. Prices were/are still a fucking disgrace.

but they haven’t sold out, it’s just 1,565 tickets sold to date.
The away end has 2,950 seats and the maximum allocation allowed by SAG this season seems to be 2,550.
So Derby have another 1000 tickets to sell for a full sell out….still a great effort though….and I’m sure they’ll eventually sell over 2K.

Assume it’s a SAG issue.
A PL rule is any club going up must allocate away fans 3000 tickets or 10% of their ground, which ever is lower.
The PL are willing to show discretion and allow slightly less than 3000 if the ground design makes it impossible.
When it comes to the PL then SAG wishes are no longer important.

When we were in the PL in 2007 we gave away clubs 2,990 tickets.
I believe last season we gave away clubs 2,950 tickets, so not quite the 3000 but the PL allowed it.

At least it’s an improvement on the seasons when we were last in league 1 and the Championship.
A few years ago for a number of seasons SAG was only allowing us to give away clubs a max of 2,100 to 2,250…it seems to vary slightly from match to match.
For the last Sheffield derby, owls fans were only given 2,100 tickets.
In previous seasons there was red netting in both corner flag areas and even the first 2 rows at the front of the whole away end were netted off.

So now that SAG are allowing us to sell 2,550 of the 2,950 available seats, it’s a welcome improvement.
It is an improvement, but again, it’s another question that those with access to SAG should be asking for proper answers. The club is potentially losing £15k, per game, by not having these available for sale.

It is an improvement, but again, it’s another question that those with access to SAG should be asking for proper answers. The club is potentially losing £15k, per game, by not having these available for sale.
Maybe they will just have to put the prices up to recover the lost revenue ........

but they haven’t sold out, it’s just 1,565 tickets sold to date.
The away end has 2,950 seats and the maximum allocation allowed by SAG this season seems to be 2,550.
So Derby have another 1000 tickets to sell for a full sell out….still a great effort though….and I’m sure they’ll eventually sell over 2K.
i think they will sell all the 2550

I think Bert is wrong on this occasion.

Third round of t'Cup and I think they were in the Third Division and us in the newly created prem. Squillions of them came for the 'big match'.

We'd been in Scotland for New Year and came back over the Snake with a Burnley fans on our tail. They'd spotted the Blades sticker when we'd passed them and followed us home to get directions down. We got them parked up and had a pint with them, decent lads all.
Yep. They had 2 blocks of the South Stand. Brought 9000 or so.

That’s the only time I think we’ve ever done it.

Maybe they will just have to put the prices up to recover the lost revenue ........

I expect SUFC have done some research on prices.
We’ve no need to experiment, we‘ve got plenty of data based on Chancer’s pricing strategy at S6.

The Leppings Lane End holds over 4K and it was quite common to hear their fans moan that the likes of Derby, Forest etc couldn‘t sell out their away end.
They’d say supposedly biggish clubs were only able to sell 2,500 tickets but not mentioning they were charged £37.

So maybe United have thought.
Charge Derby normal prices and for a Saturday game there would be 4K demand.
So if we increase ticket prices their demand drops to 2,500……therefore maximising our income.

Another point is if we finish mid table this season then I’d normally consider NOT renewing my season ticket.
However if ST remain at an affordable price and match day tickets become expensive.
Then even if I only attend 66% of home matches it’s still makes financial sense to buy a season ticket.
The irony is, high pay on the day pricing with low season ticket pricing will make me much more likely to renew my ST, no matter how disillusioned I become.

Did we lose 0-1? I think i was there unfortunately.

So for all the outrage, they've sold the initial allocation, not sure if thats a positive or not really. Its a fairly average allocation and lots of league one clubs wouldn't sell near that, but most clubs in the Championship with decent following will sell 1500 easily. I guess that they will be offered more tickets.

Still doesn't sit right with me that we're charging so much for away teams.
Another point is if we finish mid table this season then I’d normally consider NOT renewing my season ticket.
However if ST remain at an affordable price and match day tickets become expensive.
Then even if I only attend 66% of home matches it’s still makes financial sense to buy a season ticket.
The irony is, high pay on the day pricing with low season ticket pricing will make me much more likely to renew my ST, no matter how disillusioned I become.
Very good point, you'd be daft not to renew even if you only attended 50% of the games as its a lot of hassle to get a decent seat the following season...

So for all the outrage, they've sold the initial allocation, not sure if thats a positive or not really. Its a fairly average allocation and lots of league one clubs wouldn't sell near that, but most clubs in the Championship with decent following will sell 1500 easily. I guess that they will be offered more tickets.

Still doesn't sit right with me that we're charging so much for away teams.

Very good point, you'd be daft not to renew even if you only attended 50% of the games as its a lot of hassle to get a decent seat the following season...
doesnt sit right with me that were charging too much for our own fans

i think they will sell all the 2550

Think you could be right. Derby sold their 2nd allocation of 500 tickets within a few hours of going on sale.
To date they’ve sold 2,065 tickets. We’ve offered every other club a maximum of 2,550 tickets this season.
(note: The bottom tier away end currently has 2,950 seats, so assume SAG have insisted on a restriction like in previous seasons).

I would imagine tomorrow Derby County will be given a 3rd and final allocation of 485 tickets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom