Derby fans aren't happy (and I don't blame them)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why not just charge £1,000,000 per ticket? We only need 1 fan per match and we’re laughing.
That would work if the one fan did pay the £1m. So too if 1000 paid £1000.
Somewhere lower (around £35) would seem to be the optimum
As long as the ticket pricing leads to optimum match day income then the pricing is correct

As long as the ticket pricing leads to optimum match day income then the pricing is correct

That sentence encapsulates pretty much everyting that has gone wrong with football since I started watching it in the 80s and the fact that Blades seriously believe that is the right attitude for our club to have to its loyal fans, some of whom have a few quid and will be able to pay it and some of whom don't and can't but why should we give a shit about them as long as the optimum income is obtained.

The ticket pricing is a joke! But the worst is to come.

right now they are pricing out the average Joe from taking his/her family. This means less younger fans getting interested.

Whilst we will see reduced (slightly) attendances in the short term. It’s the potential long term impact that worries me.

I can stomach an increase in adult prices but I’m sure there is only one price for kids (£20) which is a complete shambles.

Having been (effectively) accused of been a Pig by Alcoblade after offering concerns about how our clubs run…I’m offering a high5 to the Prince and his team for milking us dry. Let’s be right, it’s becoming a very concerning path that we are taking.
You are a pig

The ticket pricing is a joke! But the worst is to come.

right now they are pricing out the average Joe from taking his/her family. This means less younger fans getting interested.

Whilst we will see reduced (slightly) attendances in the short term. It’s the potential long term impact that worries me.

I can stomach an increase in adult prices but I’m sure there is only one price for kids (£20) which is a complete shambles.
Not only kids too, but young fans who are in their early 20s. Many may have only started following United under Wilder and now fall out of the kids/concessions/student bracket. A lot of that group would be priced out more so, having to pay £40 at 22 isn’t easy.

U
Who would have thought we’d have 80 million pounds worth of players sat on the bench against Preston.
That statistic is incredible and something we’d have only dreamt of a few year ago.

Sadly there's a hefty difference between what they're "worth" and what we paid for them.

Not only kids too, but young fans who are in their early 20s. Many may have only started following United under Wilder and now fall out of the kids/concessions/student bracket. A lot of that group would be priced out more so, having to pay £40 at 22 isn’t easy.
Yep - I think most rational fans would accept an increase but a tiered system would be better.

but you’re right another shambles that will have a big impact.

Is correct according to the market, not to any human with a shred of decency.

You’re ignoring profit and only considering revenue.

That sentence encapsulates pretty much everyting that has gone wrong with football since I started watching it in the 80s and the fact that Blades seriously believe that is the right attitude for our club to have to its loyal fans, some of whom have a few quid and will be able to pay it and some of whom don't and can't but why should we give a shit about them as long as the optimum income is obtained.

but if you read these threads you’ll see that over the years “fans” have changed too.

When I used to go in the 70‘s and 80’s, it was like going to church.
You went to support your team, for me entertainment was just a bonus…not a demand or expectation.
These days many fans expect us to buy top players, play entertaining football and win most games, surely this comes at a cost.
If anyone wants really cheap football then if we went into league 2 or non league they would get their wish.

Don‘t mean to sound harsh and I agree football should be cheap but football turned into a business decades ago.
A well run club should try everything to maximise it’s income and encourage/ grow its fan base.
The evidence (average 27,500 gates) shows the owner is doing a good job so far.
Also the evidence keeps showing here’s little appetite for cheap tickets, reducing tickets puts about 1000 or so on the gate.
However if we fail to gain promotion and start to downsize….then I expect ticket reductions otherwise gates will drop.

Last edited:
Is correct according to the market, not to any human with a shred of decency.

Football stopped being decent from the 1990’s when the PL was formed and the business people took over our national game.
Now it’s all about growing your club, maximising revenue, the bigger clubs get bigger and the smaller clubs get smaller.
Sad really but when you listen to the media they constantly bang on about how the PL has transformed our game for the better.

I’ve mentioned this earlier.
Maybe the policy is to charge £15 a match if you buy a season ticket or £30 a match if you pay on the day.
When we’re struggling or playing badly I’ll attend 80% of home matches…so in the past I’ve paid on the day.
Next season I’d think about not renewing my season ticket but if it offers a massive saving.
Then I’ve no choice and will renew again as it’s much more cost effective.
Of course that’s assuming ST prices remain reasonable.

Last edited:
but if you read these threads you’ll see that over the years “fans” have changed.

When I used to go in the 70‘s and 80’s, it was like going to church.
You went to support your team, for me entertainment was just a bonus…not a demand or expectation.
These days many fans expect us to buy top players, play entertaining football and win most games, surely this comes at a cost.
If anyone wants really cheap football then if we went into league 2 or non league they would get their wish.

Don‘t mean to sound harsh and I agree football should be cheap but football turned into a business decades ago.
A well run club should try everything to maximise it’s income and encourage/ grow its fan base.
The evidence (average 27,500 gates) shows the owner is doing a good job so far.
Also the evidence keeps showing here’s little appetite for cheap tickets, reducing tickets puts about 1000 or so on the gate.
However if we fail to gain promotion and start to downsize….then I expect ticket reductions otherwise gates will drop.
Whilst both arguments have their merits there’s undoubtedly a middle ground to this. No way can £40 for a Championship game be acceptable, in any part of the ground.

tbh 40ish quid for a 2nd tier league game isn't easy for any age bracket - and even if you're considered well off you'd still wince and feel fleeced.

tbh 40ish quid for a 2nd tier league game isn't easy for any age bracket - and even if you're considered well off you'd still wince and feel fleeced.

Agree it’s a rip off. Cat A £30 cat B £25 and cat C £15 seems fair. However in these things it’s the market that decides the price. When pricing is too high more and more stop going…then usually a club will respond by lowering prices.

Regards pricing I tend to see it as though I decide my own annual expenditure to the club. So if money was rightish and I could afford £200 a season ticket I’d continue to pay that amount regardless of pricing.

So it ticket were £10 then I’d go to 20 matches.
If a ticket was £20 I’d attend 10 matches per season
And if tickets were £40 I’d attend 5 matches per season. Even if money was tight I’d never stop going.

How any normal say 22 year old can afford to regularly stump up for a ticket is beyond me.

i think we will also see a big hike in season ticket prices next season

How any normal say 22 year old can afford to regularly stump up for a ticket is beyond me.
Surely the ones who come regularly have a ST? Therefore not regularly stumping up close to £40.

If you can’t come on a regular basis or just don’t want to, then yes the prices are high but you wouldn’t be paying that week in, week out. Otherwise you’d just have bought a ST, surely? (exceptions aside).

the club are likely cutting the amount of games non regulars go to in half with the pricing right now, and will probs have to re-evaluate the pricing if we are in the same position next year.

I’m in no way advocating the prices btw.

That fee really winds me up. It’s a disincentive to use the automated system that saves the club money. Instead it encourages you to attend the ticket office and use up staff time. Bananas.

And for the early cup games when the system to load your season card wasn’t working, you still had to pay £1 extra to buy online, and then had to attend to ticket office in person anyway to fetch the bloody ticket. 🤯🤯🤯
Every other business offers lower prices online, yet football charges more. It's stupid.

Best solution, is build a huge new kop and make it standing only and sell cheap tickets for that stand. And then maybe do the same with the bramall Lane lower!

Last edited:
Anything over 30 quid for ANY football game is disgusting.

Not just Chanpionship, but PL, CL, Euros, WC.

Charging people 300+ for finals etc. Its obscene.

But as long as numpties pay it, they'll charge it. Only way to change this is complete apathy.

Surely the ones who come regularly have a ST? Therefore not regularly stumping up close to £40.

If you can’t come on a regular basis or just don’t want to, then yes the prices are high but you wouldn’t be paying that week in, week out. Otherwise you’d just have bought a ST, surely? (exceptions aside).

the club are likely cutting the amount of games non regulars go to in half with the pricing right now, and will probs have to re-evaluate the pricing if we are in the same position next year.

I’m in no way advocating the prices btw.
That's the strange thing about our pricing. My memory is terrible, but pretty sure when I was that age, in the '90s, the difference between paying on the day and a season ticket was only a few games every year but now it's huge.

You're basically paying a similar amount to going to say a play at the Crucible but without any guarantee of entertainment or staying dry or being able to buy any food or drink in the intermission!

doesnt make sense really this matchday pricing at 33/35 quid minimum we might get 3/4k paying it but make it 20/25 quid im sure we would sell 6/7k just fill the ground up

doesnt make sense really this matchday pricing at 33/35 quid minimum we might get 3/4k paying it but make it 20/25 quid im sure we would sell 6/7k just fill the ground up
It forces people to buy season tickets even if they know they can only attend 80% of games. Ties you in then hooks you on the renewal.

While I don't like these price hikes it does seem everything is getting more expensive. I've just seen Van Morrison tickets at the City Hall are the best part of 80 quid each for a decent seat!! Yes that much!

High prices for away fans are nothing new though. I remember us playing Reading around mid 90s, think it was mid-season, midweek night match. That season we were charging away kids (even toddlers) 15 quid on the lane end. That was 45 quid for a bloke and 2 little kids! 45 quid 25 years ago was a fair bit.

While I don't like these price hikes it does seem everything is getting more expensive. I've just seen Van Morrison tickets at the City Hall are the best part of 80 quid each for a decent seat!! Yes that much!

High prices for away fans are nothing new though. I remember us playing Reading around mid 90s, think it was mid-season, midweek night match. That season we were charging away kids (even toddlers) 15 quid on the lane end. That was 45 quid for a bloke and 2 little kids! 45 quid 25 years ago was a fair bit.
Daren’t tell you what I’ve paid for me and my youngest to go to a concert. The tickets sold so fast I ended up paying through the nose for what was left. It’s his favourite band and a birthday present so I gritted my teeth but suffice to say it was a shitload more than a non season ticket price at BL :oops:

Why not just charge £1,000,000 per ticket? We only need 1 fan per match and we’re laughing.
Would solve the problem of half time queues for a beer. You could wait for the half time whistle, jog down, get a beer and just join the back of the queue to get a second beer and still be back in your seat for the start of the second half.

Back
Top Bottom