Darblade/Ainsley Harriott RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

F-rJew7WEAA-vZ4.jpeg

Hope its ok to post, thought I'd add my favourite picture of Matt - I think his line was "I don't care if i'm not Irish I'll do what I want" with a period approriate retro top on in the Scholar. I'll be having a pint of Diesel for him at the Bournemouth game

I'm so sorry for your loss, great person 😢 sad day for you and the family RIp Ainsley love you ❤️ from the Blade's family 😢

Awful if seemingly inevitable news despite the fight he showed. I hope the Mental Health thread was a useful outlet for his anger and frustration.

Our thoughts are with the family he so desperately didn't want to leave behind.

His last words on the forum were that he loved you all.

Brave bloke. Sound. Loving dad. Top Blade. Loved his rants about the missus, they were hilarious, but underneath you knew he loved her dearly. We shared some right laughs together on this forum. You knew you could take the piss out of him, but he gave as good as he got. No one was better at taking the piss out of Wednesday. Wish I'd been fortunate enough to have a pint with him in his shed/bar. You leave us with loads of good memories Matt / Ainsley Harriott. Top man.

Followed his postings re his terrible illness on the MH thread and found them really moving and inspirational.
Was not looking forward to this news at all even though I didn’t know him personally, his bravery and honesty touched an awful lot of people.

R I P ‘ Ains ‘ and condolences to his family. x

I was only thinking a couple of days ago about the old Bladesmad days and trying to remember some of the names back then and Darblade (Matt) was the first one I could recall.

He was a big poster back then and a huge part of that group which was a great place to be. He was obviously crackers about United from the number of posts he made, I think he had the highest number of all time?

The Bladesmad gang helped me a lot at the time as I was struggling with health issues and being able to be a part of that group at a difficult time always meant something. Even though United were crap we had some brilliant humour. Darblade (Matt) stood out for his straight talking and honesty about his mental health and things that were going on in his life.

Although I never met Matt in person I am genuinely shocked at this news. Seeing how many comments there have been just shows what a connection he had with so many and it's clear he was a good lad.

Fair well Blade, thoughts are with his family, friends and all who knew Matt.

Maybe it is me and my current feelings, but the passing of Matt is effecting me more than I expected.
Remember to talk matey, theres plenty on here that you can spill to that you'll probably never meet, and so anything said that helps you and your head can only be a positive for you.
Read the MH thread, and follow Ains's words👍

Absolutely heartbreaking news.

Stands above anything that this very forum is built on to be fair.... And I know as passionate thay Foxy and Linz are about United and this fine forum that they have heavily invested everything into over the years, I hope that they understand my sentiment and will agree as a loving family themselves.

I love United with everything, but it seems completely insignificant in comparison to something like this. I hate Wednesday with a passion and take great pleasure in their failings
.....but I would give them the treble this year to give those kids their dad back.

I didn't even know the fella other than communications online and I feel soo heavy hearted it's unreal. Going back to the forum itself, it seems to have served as a platform in which Matt was able to share his voice, thoughts and feelings. Contained within the forum are also some pretty awesome individuals as well and I am sure many reached out....

My thoughts are with all who knew Matt. His loved ones, his friends, everyone really. I am really sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
The last time he went to Bramall Lane was last April against West Brom with his brother.

Matt was struggling to get two tickets together, not on the Kop (He wasn't well enough for the Kop).

Fortunately Bert was only too pleased to help him. He sat next to Bert, and Matt loved every single minute of our win even though he probably knew that it would be his last ever visit to The Lane.

A very sad loss for all concerned.

The last time he went to Bramall Lane was last April against West Brom with his brother.

Matt was struggling to get two tickets together, not on the Kop (He wasn't well enough for the Kop).

Fortunately Bert was only too pleased to help him. He sat next to Bert, and Matt loved every single minute of our win even though he probably knew that it would be his last ever visit to The Lane.

So he saw promotion clinched. ❤️
I sent him 2 PMs in the summer. He said so many on here had contacted him.
He did ask me what's the point of it all though, a stark reminder that his days were definitely numbered. So sad. 😥 😞

Hard to stomach this news today, even though it's been coming.

One of my earliest memories of getting a season ticket on the back of the kop was when Matt was there. Would always ask how you were before owt else and fucking hated Wednesday. Got to know him relatively well over the last 5 years or so and always loved being in his company.

Spade a spade, no heirs or graces, just an absolute stellar bloke. He'll be missed dearly by the United family.

"Bar oppen?"

He’s been a massive part of this forum and it was an honour to either cross swords or laugh with him. The “in our trench” with georgebernardshaw can only be echoed here. And boy did he give me some genuine laughs on the forum.

No age, a lot left behind but he faced it in such an inspirational way. I’m really touched hearing that he was so helpful to others on the forum.

View attachment 174456

Matt didn't care what people posted he just wanted positive things said and happy photos. 😁

His kids, wife and Sheffield United were his 🌎

A last photo here of one of Matts last appearances at BTDBL with one of his daughters. ❤️❤️

One friend ill never forget x
Heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking to hear he's passed away, leaving behind a wife and young family. Beautiful photo ❤️.

A great poster on here and by all accounts from those who knew him , a thoroughly splendid bloke .

Although it became apparent some time ago that this was inevitable , the fact that a person like him should be so cruelly taken at such a young age is still a cause for great sadness .

RIP Ains and sincere condolences to all those close to him .

We were on our way to The Albion after that game and we bumped into him and his brother. I remember being glad that he got to see us do the business in that game as I had no idea he'd be there that night.

Thank you for making that happen, Bert.

Back
Top Bottom