Daniel Jebbison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If I was an opposition central defender and saw Jebbo coming on, my very first thought would be " oh shit ! "
With due respect, you seem to miss the whole aspect of Association Football.
Your first thought should be, "hit him hard and low" in the first tackle.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. With due respect, you seem to miss the whole aspect of nuances of the English language.

Jebbo a ready made replacement for Sharp?

Maybe, but I'm not assuming he'll sign just because United make an offer, I just think were potentially more attractive than you have us.
We're now a PL club with a clear pathway to the first team and if we do happen to be relegated that pathway becomes even clearer to a Championship side with 3 years of Parachute payments. Alternatively, if he has a huge breakthrough season in the PL, there will be significant interest.
He's 19 (20 to keep Bongle happy ;) ) and dropping into an established PL squad while developing is a risky move for him from a development perspective.
With us he will be playing regularly, be that on loan or in our first team squad, but he'll likely earn less but at 19 is that his main driver? I'm not so sure.
A longer contract with us doesn't actually tie him into anything, aside from better pay, higher standing, and us invested in his further development this season. If a big move materialises it's not like we could or would refuse anyway.

For him and us, it does feel like a rare no-brainer on both sides.

If we were to do as you suggested in your original post, and farm him out on loan, there's no way you (or anyone at the club) could reasonably claim that there's a "clear pathway" to the first team, especially if we sign a replacement/upgrade - something we'd almost certainly have to do.

I would guess that he feels on the brink of breaking into the first team, and unlucky that untimely injuries and suspensions prevented him from getting even more minutes.

And while I understand your sentiments regarding contracts, it does actually tie him to something, it means we'll actually be able to keep him beyond this time next year, and command a fee when he eventually leaves. I'd guess his value on a long term contract would be in the region of £20m, which is not insignificant..

Give him a starting role in the remaining games, it'll do his confidence the world of good and allow him to show the talent he undoubtedly has. Sometimes you need to throw a young prospect in the deep end, it'll be the quickest learning curve there is. Looks good at the moment so we could have a starter on our hands if we allow him to show what he's capable of over 90 minutes.
We should be chucking Coulibaly ,Brooks and Arblaster in for the last 2 games and maybe young Marsh for a couple of 15 minute run outs
I think the last starting 11 against brum will give us a good idea of who's not getting new contracts as there will be an element of saying goodbye to the fan's

If you believe some folk on here the only reason he managed to do that was because Bill had run the PNE defence ragged prior and they were very tired.
I'd like to think it's because he's progressed as a player and really looked the part,he has to do that on a regular basis,hopefully.

If we were to do as you suggested in your original post, and farm him out on loan, there's no way you (or anyone at the club) could reasonably claim that there's a "clear pathway" to the first team, especially if we sign a replacement/upgrade - something we'd almost certainly have to do.

I would guess that he feels on the brink of breaking into the first team, and unlucky that untimely injuries and suspensions prevented him from getting even more minutes.

And while I understand your sentiments regarding contracts, it does actually tie him to something, it means we'll actually be able to keep him beyond this time next year, and command a fee when he eventually leaves. I'd guess his value on a long term contract would be in the region of £20m, which is not insignificant..
If we do as I suggested and loan him out then he's hopefully establishing himself at a Championship level so I don't see how that's not a clear pathway.
If we come down we will be a Championship side in need of a established forward and he'll either have a solid record to hit the ground running, or still have some rough edges to smooth.
If we somehow stay up he'll either be an established Championship forward, exactly the same as we'd be looking for right now, so will also come into the squad.

As I clarified, I'm not actually advocating loaning him out. I can just see why it's a topic worthy of discussion, but either way he needs to sign a new deal before we can really make an appropriate decision.

We have to accept that we don't have any money. We need bodies for the start of the season.

Jebbison has to stay for those reasons alone.

(We felt it necessary to bring Osula back from Derby in January because we needed bodies.)

We all love Billy and hope he gets his 250th goal in the next 2 games but 2 league goals this season in the Championship does not fill me with confidence that he can do a job next season in the 'much tougher to score goals' Premier league.

Jebbo has looked a proper player in most cameos this season and has really come on leaps and bounds since Watford away. He'll surely be in our squad next season as he fits the current criteria in being young, cheap, and already at the club

If we do as I suggested and loan him out then he's hopefully establishing himself at a Championship level so I don't see how that's not a clear pathway.
If we come down we will be a Championship side in need of a established forward and he'll either have a solid record to hit the ground running, or still have some rough edges to smooth.
If we somehow stay up he'll either be an established Championship forward, exactly the same as we'd be looking for right now, so will also come into the squad.

As I clarified, I'm not actually advocating loaning him out. I can just see why it's a topic worthy of discussion, but either way he needs to sign a new deal before we can really make an appropriate decision.

The reason why I wouldn't regard that as a clear pathway, is that a different player would have taken his place in the squad, who he would have to dislodge when he returned. That would in fact be a pathway with an obstacle in it, rather than a clear one. 🤣

I'm being a pendant now anyway.

The reason why I'm so keen to keep him in the squad is two fold:

1. He's developing so fast, the difference between the player who played against Watford, and the difference between the player the other day against Preston is huge. With limited game time, he has come so far in just over 6 months, at that rate of improvement, he will be a competent PL striker before the end of next season.

2. Players with his kind of pace, strength and footballing ability are rare and extremely expensive. We could blow our entire budget on a player like that. We'll have to play on the counter much more next season, and a player like Jebbison would thrive in that situation as an outlet to exploit the space.

i very much doubt jebbo will be loaned out think hecky will want him as 1 of our 5 strikers can see osula going out on loan to a championship club maybe rotherham and despite what happened when he was here first time i think che adams would be a great signing for us

Colin, is that you ?

The reason why I wouldn't regard that as a clear pathway, is that a different player would have taken his place in the squad, who he would have to dislodge when he returned. That would in fact be a pathway with an obstacle in it, rather than a clear one. 🤣

1. He's developing so fast, the difference between the player who played against Watford, and the difference between the player the other day against Preston is huge. With limited game time, he has come so far in just over 6 months, at that rate of improvement, he will be a competent PL striker before the end of next season.

2. Players with his kind of pace, strength and footballing ability are rare and extremely expensive. We could blow our entire budget on a player like that. We'll have to play on the counter much more next season, and a player like Jebbison would thrive in that situation as an outlet to exploit the space.
“pendant” ? Is that because you keep hanging around ?

I remember saying ' this kid can be anything' about Illy first time I saw him. Sure loads said the same, we've been proved right. In a positive way.

Same applies to Jebbo. That cameo on Saturday was great to witness. Struggling to recall seeing a 19 year old on the rampage like that ( on a football field anyway ...).

Sign him up Blades ... long term.

We simply can't afford to loan him out.
Look at our strikers :
Ndiaye - we might cash in.
McBurnie - not good enough for PL.
Sharp - hero but too old for PL.
Brewster - who knows what standard he is coz he's never fit + may never be fit - even if gets fit , should be loaned out to Championship to get experience.
Osula - behind Jebbo in development.
Jebbo is the one player we can plan on being in the PL squad.
(But we desperately need a new striker of PL quality to come in regardless)

We simply can't afford to loan him out.
Look at our strikers :
Ndiaye - we might cash in.
McBurnie - not good enough for PL.
Sharp - hero but too old for PL.
Brewster - who knows what standard he is coz he's never fit + may never be fit - even if gets fit , should be loaned out to Championship to get experience.
Osula - behind Jebbo in development.
Jebbo is the one player we can plan on being in the PL squad.
(But we desperately need a new striker of PL quality to come in regardless)
Why rule out McB ? In his first season in the PL he scored some good goals. Now that he is more settled generally and fitter, why would he not do the same again ?

Why rule out McB ? In his first season in the PL he scored some good goals. Now that he is more settled generally and fitter, why would he not do the same again ?
He's injury-prone and when fit his form is inconsistent - IMO he's not a first choice in the PL but might occupy a seat on the bench - I would extend him by 12 months + challenge him to prove he's worth more by his availability & performances in the PL.
I would definitely not give him a new contract if we can find a better striker to be in the starting eleven.

He's injury-prone and when fit his form is inconsistent - IMO he's not a first choice in the PL but might occupy a seat on the bench - I would extend him by 12 months + challenge him to prove he's worth more by his availability & performances in the PL.
I would definitely not give him a new contract if we can find a better striker to be in the starting eleven.
And that , in a nutshell , is why he is no longer anywhere near the Scotland squad .

Understood. We probably can find better strikers who are available, but doubt we can afford them.

I think you mean pedant, something altogether different to a pendant.

A pedant is someone with a worrying habit of obsessive repetition. Only you will know if that description accurately describes your behaviour.

Given Jebbo’s progression which was adequately demonstrated in his performance on Saturday , the idea of him being sent out on loan should not even be a consideration .

Whilst he still has some way to go to become the finished article , he is not that far away and could cause serious problems for many of the weaker defences in the PL and from personal observation there are plenty of them .

That being said , it is abundantly clear that we will need at least one other striker with Billy coming towards the end of his career and McBurnie being just not good enough .

In this respect we have to be realistic and recognise that if any players become available who can be relied upon to score 15 + goals in the PL then we will be well down the pecking order in terms of our ability to sign them .

With that in mind and assuming Luton miss out in the play offs , I think we could do a lot worse than than taking a punt on Carlton Morris who has impressed me every time I’ve watched him this season .

Yes , I know that his career so far has not exactly been stellar but there are plenty of examples of players who have not reached their full potential until their late 20’s and I think he is one of them .

20 goals and 7 assists in this year’s Championship is not to be sniffed at and way ahead of any of our players and whilst I wouldn’t expect him to repeat that in the PL , even half that would make a significant contribution to our chances of staying up .

On a final note I should say that it is not just the number of goals he has scored which has impressed me but also the manner in which he has taken some of them , which many a top class striker would have been proud of .

To kick on, he needs minutes. He either gets those minutes with us, in the PL or with someone else. It seems prudent to loan him to a top Champ Team that play in a similar way to us, with a Jan recall clause. If not that option, then he needs minutes with us which means taking minutes from others. The big question that needs answering via Pre-Season, by Hecky, is can DJ displace McB as a regular starter? If the answer is yes, keep him around, if not, get him minutes until the answer is yes.
I’m not sure how he will thrive in a non-competitive environment. I.e. going on loan to someone who guarantees minutes.

Ndiaye is likely to start.

I’d then say if he has a good pre-season then he’ll have an almost even chance with McBurnie of partnering Ndiaye especially as he’s seen as an option that offers pace, something we might need more of to break when teams are attacking us.

He’s once more ahead of Brewster and because of his attributes he’s ahead of Sharp.

I think he’s in an ideal position.

I also don’t believe we will spend money to the degree that would allow us to bring someone in of his attributes. At a push, Piroe would be the closest I’d think we may go for; he enters the final year of his deal and Swansea won’t want to see him leave for nothing.

But I think it would more be a Khadra type Hecky feels he needs, especially now he has 2 extra subs. I think Nathan Redmond would be an excellent shout. Top level experience, 29 and could bring that additional McGoldrick component. Otherwise this might be where the link to Ogbene came in. I mention these two as they both have deals expiring this summer so their clubs won’t be asking for a fee.

Back
Top Bottom