United 0 Newcastle 8 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's the biggest league defeat. We've never lost by more that 7 in the league before, but we've shipped more goals than 7 in the league on 3 previous occasions , 1-8 v Arsenal in 29/30, 2-9 v Arsenal in 31-2 and 3-10 v Middlesbrough 33-4. All away.

It was our worst ever league defeat in 4,988 games. The last time we conceded more than 8 was in 1933 when we lost 10 -3 to Middlesbrough in a league game. The margin however was 7 goals so today stands as our worst ever league defeat but Wes doesn't win the prize for the most conceded as 10 were shipped in 1933.
Appreciate the replies and I'm aware of my pedantry here but the point stands.

It was in response to "worst defeat ever" and "most goals conceded"; it's neither.

Ratings:

Foderingham 3/10 – He actually made a few saves but most were standard stuff and flick aways but given way too much to do but he had eight goals go in. I am not sure he had much chance with any but was rooted to the line for the Wilson header (his ball?) but the ball went past him too easily. I am not sure I can give him any more than 3 for someone who concedes the most goals a United keeper ever has even if he was hopelessly exposed!

Bogle 1.5/10 – Started ok and one good cross but then when Gordon came on, he was given a torrid time and they attacked a lot down this side. The goal he was not close enough even before the controversy and too many times they got in. He looked what he is, a decent attacking Championship wing back but simply not good enough defensively at this level. Hooked at half time but could have been any of the side except Wes/McAtee.

Thomas 2/10 – He got forward well and into good areas to begin but took too long on the first chance and the second he miscued. After this was defending mostly and like with Bogle failed to stop the crosses all game. The second half the fourth goal saw him nowhere near Trippier and this trend continued. Never got out of his own half and was passed around. Looked nowhere near the standard as players just played around him but again the whole team were like this!

Robinson 2/10 – Started with a few tackles but then they started to get into little gaps and the defence was caught between coming up and going back. The tackle for the third may have got the ball but I actually thought in todays laws (I disagree with them) he could have been sent off for excessive force (I was worried) but I have not see it back. They score easy headers (on 2 and 3) and then second half the fourth is appalling. Wilson could have had a lot more than one goal. He ended up just kicking it out and when they ran at us the middle of the defence looked appalling. The switch to a back four made us even more open. Think Trusty deserves some time but I would play him ahead of Egan. Robinson was really bad today but still been the best defender this season.

Ahmedhodzic 1/10 – I thought he would step up and be comfortable at this level but he has really struggled to make the jump and looks slow/weak and lacking in any kind of stamina. The first goal he seemed to be outmuscled but the second is even worse. Just bullied completely and this has happened with him on quite a few goals this season. He is put to right back and looks even worse. Gordon just tore him apart and every time they got down this side they created chances and scored/nearly scored. Has been really poor and today he was so far off it was a worry as he was meant to be a key player but just looks physically not up to this level (so slow and weak). His tackle was ridiculous for the yellow card.

Egan 1/10 – Think he too has been woeful this season and worryingly looks like he does not have the pace/mobility to cope at this level. He reminds me of when we went up and Paul Stancliffe played and Bassett knew we could not get away with the lack of pace/turning ability at this level and moved him on despite him being a great servant. He does not get near his centre forwards and when teams run at him he looks lost. He is not winning headers or dominating and the way crosses are just being headed in is appalling. The rest of the second half they just walked through the middle. Granted he had no protection but he has to be tighter and stop easy goals. The Wilson goal he just stood there and this was repeated on others goals too.

Norwood 2/10 – Like Egan I worry that it is all too much for him now – the pace, athleticism and the way players can turn and go. He just cannot keep up and always seems at full stretch. He was meant to be a shield/screen with Souza but they just run through us all game. When he had the ball he was careless or played balls to put others in trouble and went backwards way too much.

Souza 2/10 – I have to say I have not bought into the hype others have of this lad. He may have ok stats but my eyes see a slow, laborious player who hides a lot and when he gets it does not pass forward. He points a lot and blames others but not sure he takes any responsibility. He is a big lad but not sure he imposes himself and he is poor in the air (not seen him win a header yet). Really disappointed me so far. Maybe I am alone but teams are completely dominating midfield every week. We are not getting a foot in or stopping runners and as bad as the defence as we are having so many shots coming in and crosses and the midfield/forwards are not working hard enough to stop the ball coming back into our final third.

Hamer 1/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare today. Nothing came off (well actually every ball came off him!) and his touch was shocking. Tried a few flicks but he was in a position where he simply did not see the ball and after they led, he was completely anonymous. Has to work much harder on the other aspects of the game as when we do not have it, we need players to chase/harry and he did not do that. He has scored two good goals and showed some good bits but today he was miles off and needs to do more in games. He goes missing for long spells (a bit like Berge despite everyone saying he is miles better – not sure I am totally convinced by this yet).

McAtee 5/10 – Our best outfield player. He at least tried to get on the ball and first half up to us trailing he actually got on the ball and tried to prove and carry it. The only one who looked like he had a bit of class and touch. Most of our good stuff came from him. He faded but they had all the ball after they took the lead. He looked fed up and probably wondering why he came back looking at what he was playing with?

Archer 2.5/10 - Hardly kicked the ball. Given no service at all and feeding off scraps but I still think he has to work harder and be more of a nuisance. I said that at Spurs last week. He has to try and get to the ball a bit quicker and at least compete but they just shrugged him off. Another who is physically short at this level when all other teams have players with big upper body strength. He needed someone to play alongside him but we have no one so played another midfielder – it did not work. After the break Traore came on but he is not up this level seemingly.

Subs –

Traore 1/10 – Thought he continued to look out of his depth. He had one run but he ran it out twice more and then he lost it in the lead up to one of the goals. Just too small and weak and when he gets the ball he gives it away. Could we have signed a better player from the lower leagues of the UK that at least might have the physicality for the English league. He will just get shoved out of it and that has showed so far. He looks miles off the standard we need.

Davies 1/10 – Brought on to try and stem the tide but he gave it away a fair bit and laid one on a plate for them for the last goal. I would give him a game next week though as Norwood/Souza do not have the legs at this level.

Slimane 1/10 – Came on and gave it away instantly and got booked. He is another learning on the job and a punt that probably is playing above his level.

Basham – The game was done by this stage and he was another they just ran round like a statue.

Manager: Heckingbottom 0/10 – Not sure I have ever given a manager 0/10 but our worst defeat in our history and not sure I can give anything else. We did ok to start but seemed very open and it was not going to work. They got the first and then after this we were woeful and he made no adjustments at all. We continued to see none of the ball and the changes at half time with personnel and formation made us even more exposed. He should have changed it again but at this point seemed even he gave up. Talent wise we do not have the players but as Callum Wilson said post-game, he could not believe the time they had and how easy we were to go through. The fact we just continued to sit off and not engage and effectively let them walk through is on the players but the manager of course takes as much responsibility.

We have conceded 9 goals from crosses – triple any other side at this level. So if we are being walked through the middle and crosses are not being defended, we are going to ship goals and lose most games. We looked totally disorganised today and had no structure or idea how to stop the other team in any way.

There will be pressure on him. I never believed the guff Bettis came out with saying he was safe and we would not sack him if we went down. The Wilder rumours clearly had some substance too I feel. I might be wrong. If we lose another game like that or similar circumstances, then he probably gets sacked. I do not think it is his fault we are in this position but sadly results speak and if we go on a run of 4 or 5 more defeats, they would probably sack him in my opinion. Again, that would still be harsh and not sure anyone changes things or keeps us up but managers at any level do not go 10-15 games without a win and long losing streaks. Even Wilder went eventually (after his incredible work). He will be seen as someone out of his depth and his rants last week won’t help endear him to the wider football world. I don’t give a damn about them but he now has the tag of overseeing the worst ever defeat in United’s history and has to galvanise the club/team. As I say I am not for it, as not sure any manager keeps us up, but if we lost a few more then the pressure would mount. That;’s the nature of football.

Newcastle – Thought the open game suited them but they could have trailed early on and the game was quite even but as soon as they led, the confidence drained from us and they just put their foot down. They are good on set plays and scored two headers and that was it. After the break, they just passed it through us and we could not get close to them and showed what good players they have although will not play a team as bad as us again in a game like that. They actually could have scored at least 10. It was so easy but they were ruthless and just kept going and going. They realised how easy it was to get through us and the goals they scored were so poor. They just passed it through and with one pass or cross had a one on one/free header. Hard to gauge how good they were or how bad we were? Maybe it was a bit of both but if an opponent does not tackles or get close to you, then it is easy for quality players to just run through and score goal after goal. It was men v boys and in the end they were just talking the mickey out of us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Name any of the eleven but Gordon was outstanding and tore us apart. Both Bogle and Ahmedhodzic were given a going over all game. The rest of the side just walked through us all game. It was not even competitive but they turned it on.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure there were any. They were better man for man in every position and by huge margins. Bigger, stronger, faster and more technical.

Referee/Officials – They did not help as the first seemed dodgy and maybe the third may not have been a free kick but not going to talk about them in an 0-8 defeat. I am sure some will say they are decisions that affect things and maybe they do but we are conceding so much possession and ground, teams will have more chances/opportunities. I think looking at the officials is becoming tiring. Noone will gave a crap about us bleating about them and I am sick of looking to them. We have to be better. The crowd looking for fouls that were not there (they just outmuscled us) was a bit desperate I felt. We were so slow and despite a few bookings, felt we just let them run through us and never tackled them all game!

Matchday/Crowd – Newcastle fans will remember a famous victory for some time and were loud and supportive -easy to do when you are hammering a side. United fans were vocal to begin and then turned their ire to the officials but this seemed a bit desperate. After the game went, many drifted away and despite one chant of ‘We love United we do!’ the ground was half empty by full time. One of the worst afternoon’s for many Blades to experience in terms of a one-sided game. I recall us getting battered 0-4 to Sunderland under Bruce and 2-5 to Norwich under Porterfield. Also the 0-5 under McEwan when he got sacked after Oldham hammered us but 0-8. Wow. I am not sure we will ever lose by such a margin in ever of our lifetimes. An embarrassing afternoon.
Tough to write but sadly so true - cheers Deadbat

Thanks for that Deadbat. I remember a 5-0 drubbing against Wimbledon at a semi condemned Plough Lane. And it pissed down the whole game. Now I remember how it felt and I’m 12000 miles away

Hard to disagree with this too much as we capitulated appallingly after conceding the first couple of goals.
One thing that should be considered is that the first 3 goals, all of which were dubious in origin (1st was a handball that despite being not deliberate, gained an unfair advantage to Newcastle. 2nd, their player leaned into the ball with their elbow but you could argue that his arms were not outstretched. Shocking defending for the corner by Anel though. 3rd we were penalised for Robinson winning the ball and passing it to a teammate. There was no foul but he gets a yellow card. Again, shocking defending of the resultant free kick), forced us to change our plan, shape, players etc.
Prior to this, we were giving them a fair game and creating some chances of our own.
What followed was abysmal but there is always the question of "what if those decisions go in our favour.

Not sure how McAtee gets 5 - looked woefully weak (like everyone else) and just shrugged off the ball constantly.
Anel is the biggest disappointment though, I think everyone was convinced he was a Premier League player in waiting but he is so out of his depth it’s untrue.

View attachment 171806

AA got blocked a bit by Schar, which meant he couldn't keep up with Burn.

I mean, just look at the picture.

Both our players hanging onto them for dear life. We’re lucky we didn’t give a pen away with all the shirt pulling.

I thought we’d miss McB a bit, and we did, but he’s not the figurehead of the whole team. The capitulation from the 10 outfield players was something I’ve never seen before to this extent.

We had games last season where we looked asleep (that run where we got something like 3pt from 18 or so), and it was this yesterday.

Unlike the championship though we WILL get punished sleep walking through a game in the Prem.

Hopefully this is the kick up the arse we need.

Our squad is out of its depth at this level clearly.
We set up defensively and try to play on the break and knick a result
This is ok to a point while it’s a close game, but if we go two down we have no plan B as we don’t have the quality to go offensive and dominate teams
Newcastle have tremendous players and they just completely dominated in every department.
Realistically how can we compete with these billionaire owner teams with colossal investment in players

It was not just the heavy defeat yesterday it was the manner of defeat that hurts the most .. total capitulation .. i’ve seen some Utd sides take some hidings in my 46 years attending , but I’ve never seen a Utd side where all 11 collectively collapsed like that in the second half .. no leaders , no organisation ,no pride ... I’m still in shock tbh ... I can accept getting outclassed by a better side but absolutely, not for giving up ..

It was a disgraceful performance & a shocking interview by Hecky afterwards. Essentially suggesting they expect results like this to happen, well the fans don't especially not at home.

Bramall Lane has always been an intimidating place to come. We gave City & Everton a proper game and when they came off the pitch they knew they'd been in a battle. Other teams will look at yesterdays result and think there's absolutely nothing to worry about there, its a big pitch, they have no organisation, you just take the game to their defence and you'll score easily.

Also if you were one of the fans throwing stuff at the Newcastle players you should be ashamed of yourself. You don't like it because they celebrated in front of you? Yet we loved it when Leon Clarke did it in front of them lot, Billy used to do it every week etc etc. Embarrassing.

Will be very interesting to see the starting 11 next week.
I don’t think Hecky will do anything drastic and I know a lot of fans are not keen on a back 4.
But for me the back 5 has broken down. The wing backs rarely get forward let alone the CB’s! Plus we can’t defend crosses!

Maybe something like this could reignite a bit of belief?

Wes
Baldock Anel Trusty Thomas
Hamer Souza Davies
McAtee
McB Archer

I know Souza has looked a bit immobile the last 2, but he was immense against Forest.
And I know Davies looked terrible yesterday when he came on. The game had already gone by then though and at least he was trying. He came here to be box to box, let’s give him that chance.

There's no clear dissection of what happened but I can only assume they've been running on empty trying to barely keep up since the Forest game and have nothing in the tank.

It's a terrible perspective on our fitness, but also, a pure display in the difference in quality.

I'm still scratching my head why we looked so good in the first 20 minutes and could potentially have been 1 or 2 up, yet capitulated after the first Newcastle goal. I have a theory (not unique) that we have zero leadership on the pitch. That was potentially lost without Billy in the squad, however he barely played last season so I'm stumped.

I thought Souza may be our new captain calling but he was an absolute pussy when we conceded.

For all the not good enough comments, the fact is that up until yesterday we've competed against the best in the country and possibly the world. Yesterday nobody competed apart from McAtee. It was like watching a team who'd never played together that had been out on the piss the night before.

I suspect there's more to yesterday than meets the eye. I did say to my lad that I was surprised the game was going ahead so soon after Maddy's death and all the the media chatter about Heckingbottom and Wilder may not have helped? I don't know, but, that wasn't even near a normal Blades performance under PH. Something was not right, they didn't even do the basics as professionals.

I've been going to see the Blades since the early 70's and I never expected to see anything like that in my lifetime.

No fight, no desire. The goal from Wilson where he sort of jogged round our defenders and nodded the ball into the net was embarrassing.

Has something gone off behind the scenes?, I am sort of hoping so, because if not, what on earth caused such a collapse in form?

I think PH will need to change things up at the back now.

We can't have the same performance again.

Most of the time, when a team goes 4/5/6-0 up they start to ease off the gas, and it really annoys me to be honest.

Fair play to Newcastle yesterday, they were absolutely relentless and brutal in their pursuit of more and more goals.

Will be very interesting to see the starting 11 next week.
I don’t think Hecky will do anything drastic and I know a lot of fans are not keen on a back 4.
But for me the back 5 has broken down. The wing backs rarely get forward let alone the CB’s! Plus we can’t defend crosses!

Maybe something like this could reignite a bit of belief?

Wes
Baldock Anel Trusty Thomas
Hamer Souza Davies
McAtee
McB Archer

I know Souza has looked a bit immobile the last 2, but he was immense against Forest.
And I know Davies looked terrible yesterday when he came on. The game had already gone by then though and at least he was trying. He came here to be box to box, let’s give him that chance.
Davies looks to be carrying too much weight to be box to box anytime soon

Ratings:

Foderingham 3/10 – He actually made a few saves but most were standard stuff and flick aways but given way too much to do but he had eight goals go in. I am not sure he had much chance with any but was rooted to the line for the Wilson header (his ball?) but the ball went past him too easily. I am not sure I can give him any more than 3 for someone who concedes the most goals a United keeper ever has even if he was hopelessly exposed!

Bogle 1.5/10 – Started ok and one good cross but then when Gordon came on, he was given a torrid time and they attacked a lot down this side. The goal he was not close enough even before the controversy and too many times they got in. He looked what he is, a decent attacking Championship wing back but simply not good enough defensively at this level. Hooked at half time but could have been any of the side except Wes/McAtee.

Thomas 2/10 – He got forward well and into good areas to begin but took too long on the first chance and the second he miscued. After this was defending mostly and like with Bogle failed to stop the crosses all game. The second half the fourth goal saw him nowhere near Trippier and this trend continued. Never got out of his own half and was passed around. Looked nowhere near the standard as players just played around him but again the whole team were like this!

Robinson 2/10 – Started with a few tackles but then they started to get into little gaps and the defence was caught between coming up and going back. The tackle for the third may have got the ball but I actually thought in todays laws (I disagree with them) he could have been sent off for excessive force (I was worried) but I have not see it back. They score easy headers (on 2 and 3) and then second half the fourth is appalling. Wilson could have had a lot more than one goal. He ended up just kicking it out and when they ran at us the middle of the defence looked appalling. The switch to a back four made us even more open. Think Trusty deserves some time but I would play him ahead of Egan. Robinson was really bad today but still been the best defender this season.

Ahmedhodzic 1/10 – I thought he would step up and be comfortable at this level but he has really struggled to make the jump and looks slow/weak and lacking in any kind of stamina. The first goal he seemed to be outmuscled but the second is even worse. Just bullied completely and this has happened with him on quite a few goals this season. He is put to right back and looks even worse. Gordon just tore him apart and every time they got down this side they created chances and scored/nearly scored. Has been really poor and today he was so far off it was a worry as he was meant to be a key player but just looks physically not up to this level (so slow and weak). His tackle was ridiculous for the yellow card.

Egan 1/10 – Think he too has been woeful this season and worryingly looks like he does not have the pace/mobility to cope at this level. He reminds me of when we went up and Paul Stancliffe played and Bassett knew we could not get away with the lack of pace/turning ability at this level and moved him on despite him being a great servant. He does not get near his centre forwards and when teams run at him he looks lost. He is not winning headers or dominating and the way crosses are just being headed in is appalling. The rest of the second half they just walked through the middle. Granted he had no protection but he has to be tighter and stop easy goals. The Wilson goal he just stood there and this was repeated on others goals too.

Norwood 2/10 – Like Egan I worry that it is all too much for him now – the pace, athleticism and the way players can turn and go. He just cannot keep up and always seems at full stretch. He was meant to be a shield/screen with Souza but they just run through us all game. When he had the ball he was careless or played balls to put others in trouble and went backwards way too much.

Souza 2/10 – I have to say I have not bought into the hype others have of this lad. He may have ok stats but my eyes see a slow, laborious player who hides a lot and when he gets it does not pass forward. He points a lot and blames others but not sure he takes any responsibility. He is a big lad but not sure he imposes himself and he is poor in the air (not seen him win a header yet). Really disappointed me so far. Maybe I am alone but teams are completely dominating midfield every week. We are not getting a foot in or stopping runners and as bad as the defence as we are having so many shots coming in and crosses and the midfield/forwards are not working hard enough to stop the ball coming back into our final third.

Hamer 1/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare today. Nothing came off (well actually every ball came off him!) and his touch was shocking. Tried a few flicks but he was in a position where he simply did not see the ball and after they led, he was completely anonymous. Has to work much harder on the other aspects of the game as when we do not have it, we need players to chase/harry and he did not do that. He has scored two good goals and showed some good bits but today he was miles off and needs to do more in games. He goes missing for long spells (a bit like Berge despite everyone saying he is miles better – not sure I am totally convinced by this yet).

McAtee 5/10 – Our best outfield player. He at least tried to get on the ball and first half up to us trailing he actually got on the ball and tried to prove and carry it. The only one who looked like he had a bit of class and touch. Most of our good stuff came from him. He faded but they had all the ball after they took the lead. He looked fed up and probably wondering why he came back looking at what he was playing with?

Archer 2.5/10 - Hardly kicked the ball. Given no service at all and feeding off scraps but I still think he has to work harder and be more of a nuisance. I said that at Spurs last week. He has to try and get to the ball a bit quicker and at least compete but they just shrugged him off. Another who is physically short at this level when all other teams have players with big upper body strength. He needed someone to play alongside him but we have no one so played another midfielder – it did not work. After the break Traore came on but he is not up this level seemingly.

Subs –

Traore 1/10 – Thought he continued to look out of his depth. He had one run but he ran it out twice more and then he lost it in the lead up to one of the goals. Just too small and weak and when he gets the ball he gives it away. Could we have signed a better player from the lower leagues of the UK that at least might have the physicality for the English league. He will just get shoved out of it and that has showed so far. He looks miles off the standard we need.

Davies 1/10 – Brought on to try and stem the tide but he gave it away a fair bit and laid one on a plate for them for the last goal. I would give him a game next week though as Norwood/Souza do not have the legs at this level.

Slimane 1/10 – Came on and gave it away instantly and got booked. He is another learning on the job and a punt that probably is playing above his level.

Basham – The game was done by this stage and he was another they just ran round like a statue.

Manager: Heckingbottom 0/10 – Not sure I have ever given a manager 0/10 but our worst defeat in our history and not sure I can give anything else. We did ok to start but seemed very open and it was not going to work. They got the first and then after this we were woeful and he made no adjustments at all. We continued to see none of the ball and the changes at half time with personnel and formation made us even more exposed. He should have changed it again but at this point seemed even he gave up. Talent wise we do not have the players but as Callum Wilson said post-game, he could not believe the time they had and how easy we were to go through. The fact we just continued to sit off and not engage and effectively let them walk through is on the players but the manager of course takes as much responsibility.

We have conceded 9 goals from crosses – triple any other side at this level. So if we are being walked through the middle and crosses are not being defended, we are going to ship goals and lose most games. We looked totally disorganised today and had no structure or idea how to stop the other team in any way.

There will be pressure on him. I never believed the guff Bettis came out with saying he was safe and we would not sack him if we went down. The Wilder rumours clearly had some substance too I feel. I might be wrong. If we lose another game like that or similar circumstances, then he probably gets sacked. I do not think it is his fault we are in this position but sadly results speak and if we go on a run of 4 or 5 more defeats, they would probably sack him in my opinion. Again, that would still be harsh and not sure anyone changes things or keeps us up but managers at any level do not go 10-15 games without a win and long losing streaks. Even Wilder went eventually (after his incredible work). He will be seen as someone out of his depth and his rants last week won’t help endear him to the wider football world. I don’t give a damn about them but he now has the tag of overseeing the worst ever defeat in United’s history and has to galvanise the club/team. As I say I am not for it, as not sure any manager keeps us up, but if we lost a few more then the pressure would mount. That;’s the nature of football.

Newcastle – Thought the open game suited them but they could have trailed early on and the game was quite even but as soon as they led, the confidence drained from us and they just put their foot down. They are good on set plays and scored two headers and that was it. After the break, they just passed it through us and we could not get close to them and showed what good players they have although will not play a team as bad as us again in a game like that. They actually could have scored at least 10. It was so easy but they were ruthless and just kept going and going. They realised how easy it was to get through us and the goals they scored were so poor. They just passed it through and with one pass or cross had a one on one/free header. Hard to gauge how good they were or how bad we were? Maybe it was a bit of both but if an opponent does not tackles or get close to you, then it is easy for quality players to just run through and score goal after goal. It was men v boys and in the end they were just talking the mickey out of us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Name any of the eleven but Gordon was outstanding and tore us apart. Both Bogle and Ahmedhodzic were given a going over all game. The rest of the side just walked through us all game. It was not even competitive but they turned it on.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure there were any. They were better man for man in every position and by huge margins. Bigger, stronger, faster and more technical.

Referee/Officials – They did not help as the first seemed dodgy and maybe the third may not have been a free kick but not going to talk about them in an 0-8 defeat. I am sure some will say they are decisions that affect things and maybe they do but we are conceding so much possession and ground, teams will have more chances/opportunities. I think looking at the officials is becoming tiring. Noone will gave a crap about us bleating about them and I am sick of looking to them. We have to be better. The crowd looking for fouls that were not there (they just outmuscled us) was a bit desperate I felt. We were so slow and despite a few bookings, felt we just let them run through us and never tackled them all game!

Matchday/Crowd – Newcastle fans will remember a famous victory for some time and were loud and supportive -easy to do when you are hammering a side. United fans were vocal to begin and then turned their ire to the officials but this seemed a bit desperate. After the game went, many drifted away and despite one chant of ‘We love United we do!’ the ground was half empty by full time. One of the worst afternoon’s for many Blades to experience in terms of a one-sided game. I recall us getting battered 0-4 to Sunderland under Bruce and 2-5 to Norwich under Porterfield. Also the 0-5 under McEwan when he got sacked after Oldham hammered us but 0-8. Wow. I am not sure we will ever lose by such a margin in ever of our lifetimes. An embarrassing afternoon.
For someone who I generally find just a smidge harsh with their ratings, I find these scores incredibly generous. At best Anel, Egan, Robinson, Bogle and Souza should all gave got 0 rating and, if it was possible, several of them should have had negative scores. I'm interested to know what you think they did to get the 1 or 2 you gave them? This was the worst defeat at home in our history wasn't it. I dread to think what the result would be if you did actually give anyone a 0 sometime. Peversely, I thought 3 out of 10 for Wes was harsh. Yes, he was in goal for this worst result but he was the only one out of the whole 11 who actually prevented Newcastle from scoring more - and he had to do that multiple times because of the horror show in front of him

For someone who I generally find just a smidge harsh with their ratings, I find these scores incredibly generous. At best Anel, Egan, Robinson, Bogle and Souza should all gave got 0 rating and, if it was possible, several of them should have had negative scores. I'm interested to know what you think they did to get the 1 or 2 you gave them? This was the worst defeat at home in our history wasn't it. I dread to think what the result would be if you did actually give anyone a 0 sometime. Peversely, I thought 3 out of 10 for Wes was harsh. Yes, he was in goal for this worst result but he was the only one out of the whole 11 who actually prevented Newcastle from scoring more - and he had to do that multiple times because of the horror show in front of him
The rating for Wes is nothing short of a fucking joke. One man band, saved 6 definitely goals and he gives a fucking 3

The rating for Wes is nothing short of a fucking joke. One man band, saved 6 definitely goals and he gives a fucking 3

He made 5 or 6 saves but only one was a really decent save. The rest were straight at him. On the goals he had little chance on a number but a few went in too easy I felt. I felt 2nd half every time they shot it would go in. The issue was the defence/midfield but I fo think he does not command. He never cones for crosses and does not help take tge pressure off. The Wilson header was right in the 6 yard box. He wasn't dreadful but 8 goals went past him.

His decision making and distribution was awful too. He put us under pressure with shocking passes/kuck outs.

In other games like City he made some superb saves or that could have been 5 or 6...ditto for Palace.

Wes is the least of our issues but a keeper who concedes 8 and only makes 3 or 4 routine saves (none were outstanding) is not going to get much of a mark.

What I would say is a lot of us have said we have been in games till yesterday but actually without Wes we could have had more hammerings. We've conceded the most shots by any team. Nearly 180 shots in 6 games.

The keeper us being put under way too much pressure.

Last edited:

Yeah it's a fair point. I gave a lot of 1s and 2s in.the same way I rarely give 10 the other way. I felt nearly every player was awful rather than one in particular standing out as being the worst but wouldn't have an argument with someone who gave put all 0s and 1s. I did think for 20 mins we were OK so tried to reflect that too but can easily see the argument

Felt JLT and Thomas were not quite as bad as the rest but still awful.

Explained my Wes mark above.

Think we all agree it was a shambles and as a collective the team would get 0.5 at best for the first mins.

I've been going to see the Blades since the early 70's and I never expected to see anything like that in my lifetime.

No fight, no desire. The goal from Wilson where he sort of jogged round our defenders and nodded the ball into the net was embarrassing.

Has something gone off behind the scenes?, I am sort of hoping so, because if not, what on earth caused such a collapse in form?

I wondered if something went off at half time to be honest. We were shite first half but right from the kick off in the second half it was plain to see we'd gone. The body language of every player suggested they'd rather have been anywhere than on the pitch.

Davies looks to be carrying too much weight to be box to box anytime soon
He looks a bit chubby, doesn't he? I noticed that as well. No wonder it's taken so long to get him somewhat match fit.

Yeah it's a fair point. I gave a lot of 1s and 2s in.the same way I rarely give 10 the other way. I felt nearly every player was awful rather than one in particular standing out as being the worst but wouldn't have an argument with someone who gave put all 0s and 1s. I did think for 20 mins we were OK so tried to reflect that too but can easily see the argument

Felt JLT and Thomas were not quite as bad as the rest but still awful.

Explained my Wes mark above.

Think we all agree it was a shambles and as a collective the team would get 0.5 at best for the first mins.
Fair enough. I think if Baldock had been playing he would have given everyone the rocket up their backside that they needed and maybe the score would have only been 4 or 5. And Gordon would have been recovering in hospital this morning!

I have watched the goals back and Wes is also completely rooted to the line on the Burn one. The header goes in from a few yards.

Nothing really to add regarding the game. I think the narrow defeats have been a bit misleading and in truth this could have happened in most of the other games if teams had been bit mor clinical. The big problem is because as you and others have pointed out is the lack of strength and athleticism throughout the team means we never compete physically. This means we struggle to hold the ball and never have any control of the game even for a short period. I am not sure how we address this or even if we can. I think we may see a bit of a pattern of what appear to be a close contest results wise with the odd hammering every now and again.. We somehow need to change the system to allow us to have more possession but not sure what that is given the squad at Heckys disposal. If we continue to offer the opposition 20 shots a game we are going to continue conceding a minimum of 2-3 goals and will probably be on a course to beat Derby's low points record by some margin.

I don't mind us losing to a better team which Newcastle are but I have never seen a Blades team give up as easily as that, no leaders, no fight, no pride and very little talent. It was the sort of capitulation I thought only happens every decade or so at Hillsborough, Newcastle once put 8 past the pigs I think Shearer got five of them.

How Hecky can say after the game it's only 3pts I don't know. All you can say about that interview is he didn't publicly throw the players under the bus like Wilder did after we got hammered 5-0 at Leicester. As for the HT change fuck me the game had gone did he really believe we could have got back into that game?

Sorry but that decision was so bad I'm wondering with all the speculation if Hecky has been told he has a couple of games to get a win or be sacked ??? Maybe that could be a reason that as a team every single player was off their game, something clearly has put them off their game and I don't think it was the tragic loss of Maddy you would have thought they would have upped their game as a tribute to her.

I still can't get my head round how bad the team and management were 🤔

Back
Top Bottom