United 0 Newcastle 8 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
A dreadful week for Sheffield United Football Club on and off the field was ended with one of the most embarrassing defeats and indeed heaviest loss in their history. Newcastle absolutely routed the Blades and the 8-0 demolition that leaves United rock bottom will have been a huge dent in confidence to the manager and players after previously being competitive in defeats so far.

United had started the game ok and Luke Thomas has two opportunities but after poor defending saw Longstaff score with appeals in vain for the ball going out, two headed goals saw the game decided by half time. After this United completely fell apart and in the end it could have been even more than 8 as Newcastle ran through time after time to score goals with barely a challenge or tackle. The complete lack of effort and fight from the home side was really concerning as United got overrun all over the field in a chastening afternoon.

The afternoon started with tributes to Maddy Cusack with both applause and then a minute’s silence for the popular player in an emotional beginning to the game.

The visitors began moving the ball forward quickly and United were slow to react with Souza picking up a foul and then Wilson nearly getting in. The Blades then created the first meaningful chance as Bogle got down the right side and his cross fell to Thomas but his shot was blocked. Newcastle responded and Wilson had an effort saved by Foderingham. Barnes picked up a knock and could not continue and Gordon came on to replace him. The incoming substitute got on the ball quickly and ran at Bogle but the cross was cleared.

United did create another chance with McAtee, who had looked to get on the ball, feeding Thomas but he made a mess of the finish and sliced it wide. Souza had a curling effort saved and it was a relatively even contest and quite open. However, it was the visitors who took the lead. There were appeals for handball and the ball going out off Gordon but he cut inside and played in LONGSTAFF who converted easily from the penalty spot. United’s appeals were in vain and the goal was given.

Newcastle’s confidence seemed to increase after this goal and Gordon again was the main threat. Ahmedhodzic’s poor late lunge earned him a yellow card. Almiron shot wide after a corner dropped to him and then Wilson was close to converting as United were struggling to build on a decent start. Foderingham tipped over another effort. The ball came over from the corner from Tripper and Ahmedhodzic was completely outmuscled by BURN who headed home too easily at the far post. Suddenly, the Blades were in a 0-2 hole. Wilson then nearly made it three as Newcastle looked to turn the screw and Foderingham made the save.

Robinson went in too aggressively in the eyes of the referee, despite winning the ball and a free kick was given with the defender given a yellow card for excessive force. This was to prove costly as the ball came in from Trippier and BOTMAN headed down and in. It was 0-3 and was turning into a disastrous afternoon for Heckingbottom’s Blades.

Guimaraes then fed Wilson and Foderingham has to block the shot and the same duo were in action a few minutes later as Newcastle were seizing on every loose ball and totally outmuscling the Blades. Appeals for free kicks were in vain as the visitors were just swarming round the home side. McAtee was the only bright spot trying to find gaps but the rest of the side were so careless in possession. Newcastle picked them off and were on the run the other way.

Gordon had an effort narrowly wide as his cross nearly went in and then Anderson’s effort was flicked over by Foderingham just before the half time whistle. Almiron had another shot on goal and United were glad for the half time whistle.

The second half saw Traore come on for Bogle and Ahmedhodzic went to right back but the tide was not stemmed and the away side continued to run through too easily. The protection for the back line was non existent as Souza and Norwood’s lack of mobility was woefully shown up with quick runners bursting through at will. The fourth goal came as Tripper ran down the right and Thomas could not close enough to stop the cross and WILSON was inexplicably unmarked and headed in easily. It was laughably bad defending all round and like a training ground goal.

Gordon had an effort saved after getting away from Ahmedhodzic too easily and Almiron had the ball in the net but was ruled offside. United could not get near the Newcastle players and it was in evidence on the 5th goal as GORDON came inside and stepped past a pitiful challenge from Ahmedhodzic and curled a beauty into the far corner. This was the sign for a number of Blades fans to start leaving the ground.

Davies came on for Norwood and then Slimane for Hamer but by this stage it was a case of damage limitation. Sadly, the home team were not able to stem the tide and the 6th goal as ALMIRON was played through to score with ease and the record books were in real jeopardy now.

Newcastle made a triple change with Isak, Livramento and Tonali on for Wilson, Trippier and Almiron. Ahmedhodzic had a rare break but blazed badly over after finally United got into the Newcastle third for maybe the first time since the game was 0-0!

Longstaff had an effort blocked but the 7th goal came on 73 minutes as GUIMARAES was slid in as the defence capitulated again and he finished easily. Basham came on for McAtee and Slimane was booked for a late tackle but the real concern was how many Newcastle could get. Anderson’s flicked header was saved and Burn and Schar had chances but the 8th goal arrived with ISAK making it the eight different scorer for the away side! Davies somehow headed towards his own goal and set up the Swedish striker and it was another cool finish. The home stands were rapidly emptying in a really humiliating day. Davies had a shot blocked and Egan was booked but mercifully the 6 minutes of stoppage time did not lead to any more goals and the Blades heaviest defeat in history at least ended at 0-8.

United – An absolutely humiliating afternoon where United were completely taken apart. Yes, we did ok for 20 minutes and Thomas had a few chances but as soon as we conceded (granted a few of the goals we could look to the officials again) we just disintegrated. 0-1 became 0-2 and then 0-3 as we could not even defend simple crosses yet again. We were outmuscled all over the field as bigger, stronger and more mobile player swarmed all over us. United’s lack of physical fitness allied to us being inferior ability wise, means we struggled to be competitive. They just took the game away from us and at half time the game was up. I hoped second half we would compete, get stuck in and show some fight but the complete oppositive happened. We not only did not win any tackles, loose balls and got overrun, but we simply gave up. The players looked a sorry mess and one of the heaviest defeats at this level and the heaviest for the club as confirmed. Heckingbottom and his coaching staff looked shellshocked.

It's bizarre as we have competed and been in games even if we have been second best in every game (even Everton I felt) and deserved to lose most games, we have been able top stay close. I did not really see that coming but maybe the defeat last week (and perhaps even the tough events of the week) has hit them hard. Newcastle had been to Milan in the week, yet looked fresher, fitter and stronger. I worry that every team has athletes with more upper body strength. We get shoved off it (legitimately) to most opponents and look so weak. If we cannot out work and compete, we have no chance. After losing all the physical stuff/aerial balls/crosses, then we know the other stuff, teams have better players but it was so frightening how much better they were. Technically it was like a team 2 or 3 divisions below no two teams in the same league.

So individually and collectively, we were just destroyed but we also tactically were hopeless. We were so open. We played 4 in midfield with 2 sitters but Hamer did nothing, McAtee tried but had no hope and Archer was isolated but does not work hard enough for me. Norwood and Souza are meant to be protectors, defensive shields but both were awful and positionally did not cover space or players. They way they ran through us was frightening. It actually could have been double figures easily and 0-8 flattered us! As I say the tactics were hopeless (even with the talent differential) but I was more concerned the players downed tools and quit. There was no leadership and senior players like Wes, Norwood, Egan and Robinson were not rallying. The team were not even arguing or saying ‘come on!’ We just totally fell apart. There is no more really to be said. It is only one defeat but despite Heckingbottom saying this – it is more than that and the confidence (that I felt was still oddly there) has just been completely shot in a matter of two games and different ways of losing.

There will be a lot of talk about Heckingbottom and he does deserve examination but the side and squad he has been given it simply not up to the standard of this level. Not sure that is his fault. The club should have kept Ndiaye and Berge and added to them. We have punted on mostly development players and I am not convinced by many of the new signings yet, Hamer apart – although he disappears for long spells in games too despite his goals. I keep hearing the eleven we have is fine and should be ok but today showed it probably is not and a team full of Championship players. Not sure any has proven they can play at this level really and so far simply seem outmatched. There is no squad depth (not having another senior striker is appalling from the club) but today you can argue apart from Baldock/McBurnie we had our strongest eleven and we were woeful. The players and manager should be totally embarrassed by the lack of effort and how we folded today. We are a laughing stock tonight (like the other teams who have got beat by such margins have been) and the players have to react but sadly I am not sure they are good enough. The lack of talent compared to the others combined with us not being physically strong enough or fit enough (a major issues – teams just run quicker than us and last longer) is a worrying combination. We now have two away games in London where you cannot see us getting much and then Man Utd and Arsenal. The reality is we very well could be on a point by November. Burnley and Luton play some of the weaker teams now (including each other) but there is no point even looking at others – I do not see any way we stay up as defeatist as that is. I just want us to be competitive and I suppose we had been before today but you see a repeat of that season a few years ago which each defeat knocks them and suddenly you are in a rut and you cannot see where the next point is coming from.

We are not at the talent level but we look too slow, weak and unfit. That is a dangerous combination. Teams are full of athletes and physical specimens. Even our big lads are not winning battles (Anel, Souza, Egan). The only lad who had physically competed and matched up is McBurnie.

The Premier League is a depressing place for us and has been the last two seasons we have been up there. Throw in the officiating, VAR, stoppage time, extra subs and all the financial lopsidedness of it – makes it so hard to be enthusiastic. We are in September and you sadly feel the only thing we might have to play for is breaking Derby’s record – that is a negative outlook but sadly the probable reality.

Regardless of this, it is only a game (easy to say when you are losing and rock bottom) but the events of this week means we have step back and still support our club and the players. They deserve us to be there and chanting and shouting again in a month (no home game for another 4 weeks) but they do need to show some pride in the shirt. I was concerned that the group today did not seem to care. That has to change.

Ratings:

Foderingham 3/10 – He actually made a few saves but most were standard stuff and flick aways but given way too much to do but he had eight goals go in. I am not sure he had much chance with any but was rooted to the line for the Wilson header (his ball?) but the ball went past him too easily. I am not sure I can give him any more than 3 for someone who concedes the most goals a United keeper ever has even if he was hopelessly exposed!

Bogle 1.5/10 – Started ok and one good cross but then when Gordon came on, he was given a torrid time and they attacked a lot down this side. The goal he was not close enough even before the controversy and too many times they got in. He looked what he is, a decent attacking Championship wing back but simply not good enough defensively at this level. Hooked at half time but could have been any of the side except Wes/McAtee.

Thomas 2/10 – He got forward well and into good areas to begin but took too long on the first chance and the second he miscued. After this was defending mostly and like with Bogle failed to stop the crosses all game. The second half the fourth goal saw him nowhere near Trippier and this trend continued. Never got out of his own half and was passed around. Looked nowhere near the standard as players just played around him but again the whole team were like this!

Robinson 2/10 – Started with a few tackles but then they started to get into little gaps and the defence was caught between coming up and going back. The tackle for the third may have got the ball but I actually thought in todays laws (I disagree with them) he could have been sent off for excessive force (I was worried) but I have not see it back. They score easy headers (on 2 and 3) and then second half the fourth is appalling. Wilson could have had a lot more than one goal. He ended up just kicking it out and when they ran at us the middle of the defence looked appalling. The switch to a back four made us even more open. Think Trusty deserves some time but I would play him ahead of Egan. Robinson was really bad today but still been the best defender this season.

Ahmedhodzic 1/10 – I thought he would step up and be comfortable at this level but he has really struggled to make the jump and looks slow/weak and lacking in any kind of stamina. The first goal he seemed to be outmuscled but the second is even worse. Just bullied completely and this has happened with him on quite a few goals this season. He is put to right back and looks even worse. Gordon just tore him apart and every time they got down this side they created chances and scored/nearly scored. Has been really poor and today he was so far off it was a worry as he was meant to be a key player but just looks physically not up to this level (so slow and weak). His tackle was ridiculous for the yellow card.

Egan 1/10 – Think he too has been woeful this season and worryingly looks like he does not have the pace/mobility to cope at this level. He reminds me of when we went up and Paul Stancliffe played and Bassett knew we could not get away with the lack of pace/turning ability at this level and moved him on despite him being a great servant. He does not get near his centre forwards and when teams run at him he looks lost. He is not winning headers or dominating and the way crosses are just being headed in is appalling. The rest of the second half they just walked through the middle. Granted he had no protection but he has to be tighter and stop easy goals. The Wilson goal he just stood there and this was repeated on others goals too.

Norwood 2/10 – Like Egan I worry that it is all too much for him now – the pace, athleticism and the way players can turn and go. He just cannot keep up and always seems at full stretch. He was meant to be a shield/screen with Souza but they just run through us all game. When he had the ball he was careless or played balls to put others in trouble and went backwards way too much.

Souza 2/10 – I have to say I have not bought into the hype others have of this lad. He may have ok stats but my eyes see a slow, laborious player who hides a lot and when he gets it does not pass forward. He points a lot and blames others but not sure he takes any responsibility. He is a big lad but not sure he imposes himself and he is poor in the air (not seen him win a header yet). Really disappointed me so far. Maybe I am alone but teams are completely dominating midfield every week. We are not getting a foot in or stopping runners and as bad as the defence as we are having so many shots coming in and crosses and the midfield/forwards are not working hard enough to stop the ball coming back into our final third.

Hamer 1/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare today. Nothing came off (well actually every ball came off him!) and his touch was shocking. Tried a few flicks but he was in a position where he simply did not see the ball and after they led, he was completely anonymous. Has to work much harder on the other aspects of the game as when we do not have it, we need players to chase/harry and he did not do that. He has scored two good goals and showed some good bits but today he was miles off and needs to do more in games. He goes missing for long spells (a bit like Berge despite everyone saying he is miles better – not sure I am totally convinced by this yet).

McAtee 5/10 – Our best outfield player. He at least tried to get on the ball and first half up to us trailing he actually got on the ball and tried to prove and carry it. The only one who looked like he had a bit of class and touch. Most of our good stuff came from him. He faded but they had all the ball after they took the lead. He looked fed up and probably wondering why he came back looking at what he was playing with?

Archer 2.5/10 - Hardly kicked the ball. Given no service at all and feeding off scraps but I still think he has to work harder and be more of a nuisance. I said that at Spurs last week. He has to try and get to the ball a bit quicker and at least compete but they just shrugged him off. Another who is physically short at this level when all other teams have players with big upper body strength. He needed someone to play alongside him but we have no one so played another midfielder – it did not work. After the break Traore came on but he is not up this level seemingly.

Subs –

Traore 1/10 – Thought he continued to look out of his depth. He had one run but he ran it out twice more and then he lost it in the lead up to one of the goals. Just too small and weak and when he gets the ball he gives it away. Could we have signed a better player from the lower leagues of the UK that at least might have the physicality for the English league. He will just get shoved out of it and that has showed so far. He looks miles off the standard we need.

Davies 1/10 – Brought on to try and stem the tide but he gave it away a fair bit and laid one on a plate for them for the last goal. I would give him a game next week though as Norwood/Souza do not have the legs at this level.

Slimane 1/10 – Came on and gave it away instantly and got booked. He is another learning on the job and a punt that probably is playing above his level.

Basham – The game was done by this stage and he was another they just ran round like a statue.

Manager: Heckingbottom 0/10 – Not sure I have ever given a manager 0/10 but our worst defeat in our history and not sure I can give anything else. We did ok to start but seemed very open and it was not going to work. They got the first and then after this we were woeful and he made no adjustments at all. We continued to see none of the ball and the changes at half time with personnel and formation made us even more exposed. He should have changed it again but at this point seemed even he gave up. Talent wise we do not have the players but as Callum Wilson said post-game, he could not believe the time they had and how easy we were to go through. The fact we just continued to sit off and not engage and effectively let them walk through is on the players but the manager of course takes as much responsibility.

We have conceded 9 goals from crosses – triple any other side at this level. So if we are being walked through the middle and crosses are not being defended, we are going to ship goals and lose most games. We looked totally disorganised today and had no structure or idea how to stop the other team in any way.

There will be pressure on him. I never believed the guff Bettis came out with saying he was safe and we would not sack him if we went down. The Wilder rumours clearly had some substance too I feel. I might be wrong. If we lose another game like that or similar circumstances, then he probably gets sacked. I do not think it is his fault we are in this position but sadly results speak and if we go on a run of 4 or 5 more defeats, they would probably sack him in my opinion. Again, that would still be harsh and not sure anyone changes things or keeps us up but managers at any level do not go 10-15 games without a win and long losing streaks. Even Wilder went eventually (after his incredible work). He will be seen as someone out of his depth and his rants last week won’t help endear him to the wider football world. I don’t give a damn about them but he now has the tag of overseeing the worst ever defeat in United’s history and has to galvanise the club/team. As I say I am not for it, as not sure any manager keeps us up, but if we lost a few more then the pressure would mount. That;’s the nature of football.

Newcastle – Thought the open game suited them but they could have trailed early on and the game was quite even but as soon as they led, the confidence drained from us and they just put their foot down. They are good on set plays and scored two headers and that was it. After the break, they just passed it through us and we could not get close to them and showed what good players they have although will not play a team as bad as us again in a game like that. They actually could have scored at least 10. It was so easy but they were ruthless and just kept going and going. They realised how easy it was to get through us and the goals they scored were so poor. They just passed it through and with one pass or cross had a one on one/free header. Hard to gauge how good they were or how bad we were? Maybe it was a bit of both but if an opponent does not tackles or get close to you, then it is easy for quality players to just run through and score goal after goal. It was men v boys and in the end they were just talking the mickey out of us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Name any of the eleven but Gordon was outstanding and tore us apart. Both Bogle and Ahmedhodzic were given a going over all game. The rest of the side just walked through us all game. It was not even competitive but they turned it on.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure there were any. They were better man for man in every position and by huge margins. Bigger, stronger, faster and more technical.

Referee/Officials – They did not help as the first seemed dodgy and maybe the third may not have been a free kick but not going to talk about them in an 0-8 defeat. I am sure some will say they are decisions that affect things and maybe they do but we are conceding so much possession and ground, teams will have more chances/opportunities. I think looking at the officials is becoming tiring. Noone will gave a crap about us bleating about them and I am sick of looking to them. We have to be better. The crowd looking for fouls that were not there (they just outmuscled us) was a bit desperate I felt. We were so slow and despite a few bookings, felt we just let them run through us and never tackled them all game!

Matchday/Crowd – Newcastle fans will remember a famous victory for some time and were loud and supportive -easy to do when you are hammering a side. United fans were vocal to begin and then turned their ire to the officials but this seemed a bit desperate. After the game went, many drifted away and despite one chant of ‘We love United we do!’ the ground was half empty by full time. One of the worst afternoon’s for many Blades to experience in terms of a one-sided game. I recall us getting battered 0-4 to Sunderland under Bruce and 2-5 to Norwich under Porterfield. Also the 0-5 under McEwan when he got sacked after Oldham hammered us but 0-8. Wow. I am not sure we will ever lose by such a margin in ever of our lifetimes. An embarrassing afternoon.

Last edited:
Ratings:

Foderingham 3/10 – He actually made a few saves but most were standard stuff and flick aways but given way too much to do but he had eight goals go in. I am not sure he had much chance with any but was rooted to the line for the Wilson header (his ball?) but the ball went past him too easily. I am not sure I can give him any more than 3 for someone who concedes the most goals a United keeper ever has even if he was hopelessly exposed!

Bogle 1.5/10 – Started ok and one good cross but then when Gordon came on, he was given a torrid time and they attacked a lot down this side. The goal he was not close enough even before the controversy and too many times they got in. He looked what he is, a decent attacking Championship wing back but simply not good enough defensively at this level. Hooked at half time but could have been any of the side except Wes/McAtee.

Thomas 2/10 – He got forward well and into good areas to begin but took too long on the first chance and the second he miscued. After this was defending mostly and like with Bogle failed to stop the crosses all game. The second half the fourth goal saw him nowhere near Trippier and this trend continued. Never got out of his own half and was passed around. Looked nowhere near the standard as players just played around him but again the whole team were like this!

Robinson 2/10 – Started with a few tackles but then they started to get into little gaps and the defence was caught between coming up and going back. The tackle for the third may have got the ball but I actually thought in todays laws (I disagree with them) he could have been sent off for excessive force (I was worried) but I have not see it back. They score easy headers (on 2 and 3) and then second half the fourth is appalling. Wilson could have had a lot more than one goal. He ended up just kicking it out and when they ran at us the middle of the defence looked appalling. The switch to a back four made us even more open. Think Trusty deserves some time but I would play him ahead of Egan. Robinson was really bad today but still been the best defender this season.

Ahmedhodzic 1/10 – I thought he would step up and be comfortable at this level but he has really struggled to make the jump and looks slow/weak and lacking in any kind of stamina. The first goal he seemed to be outmuscled but the second is even worse. Just bullied completely and this has happened with him on quite a few goals this season. He is put to right back and looks even worse. Gordon just tore him apart and every time they got down this side they created chances and scored/nearly scored. Has been really poor and today he was so far off it was a worry as he was meant to be a key player but just looks physically not up to this level (so slow and weak). His tackle was ridiculous for the yellow card.

Egan 1/10 – Think he too has been woeful this season and worryingly looks like he does not have the pace/mobility to cope at this level. He reminds me of when we went up and Paul Stancliffe played and Bassett knew we could not get away with the lack of pace/turning ability at this level and moved him on despite him being a great servant. He does not get near his centre forwards and when teams run at him he looks lost. He is not winning headers or dominating and the way crosses are just being headed in is appalling. The rest of the second half they just walked through the middle. Granted he had no protection but he has to be tighter and stop easy goals. The Wilson goal he just stood there and this was repeated on others goals too.

Norwood 2/10 – Like Egan I worry that it is all too much for him now – the pace, athleticism and the way players can turn and go. He just cannot keep up and always seems at full stretch. He was meant to be a shield/screen with Souza but they just run through us all game. When he had the ball he was careless or played balls to put others in trouble and went backwards way too much.

Souza 2/10 – I have to say I have not bought into the hype others have of this lad. He may have ok stats but my eyes see a slow, laborious player who hides a lot and when he gets it does not pass forward. He points a lot and blames others but not sure he takes any responsibility. He is a big lad but not sure he imposes himself and he is poor in the air (not seen him win a header yet). Really disappointed me so far. Maybe I am alone but teams are completely dominating midfield every week. We are not getting a foot in or stopping runners and as bad as the defence as we are having so many shots coming in and crosses and the midfield/forwards are not working hard enough to stop the ball coming back into our final third.

Hamer 1/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare today. Nothing came off (well actually every ball came off him!) and his touch was shocking. Tried a few flicks but he was in a position where he simply did not see the ball and after they led, he was completely anonymous. Has to work much harder on the other aspects of the game as when we do not have it, we need players to chase/harry and he did not do that. He has scored two good goals and showed some good bits but today he was miles off and needs to do more in games. He goes missing for long spells (a bit like Berge despite everyone saying he is miles better – not sure I am totally convinced by this yet).

McAtee 5/10 – Our best outfield player. He at least tried to get on the ball and first half up to us trailing he actually got on the ball and tried to prove and carry it. The only one who looked like he had a bit of class and touch. Most of our good stuff came from him. He faded but they had all the ball after they took the lead. He looked fed up and probably wondering why he came back looking at what he was playing with?

Archer 2.5/10 - Hardly kicked the ball. Given no service at all and feeding off scraps but I still think he has to work harder and be more of a nuisance. I said that at Spurs last week. He has to try and get to the ball a bit quicker and at least compete but they just shrugged him off. Another who is physically short at this level when all other teams have players with big upper body strength. He needed someone to play alongside him but we have no one so played another midfielder – it did not work. After the break Traore came on but he is not up this level seemingly.

Subs –

Traore 1/10 – Thought he continued to look out of his depth. He had one run but he ran it out twice more and then he lost it in the lead up to one of the goals. Just too small and weak and when he gets the ball he gives it away. Could we have signed a better player from the lower leagues of the UK that at least might have the physicality for the English league. He will just get shoved out of it and that has showed so far. He looks miles off the standard we need.

Davies 1/10 – Brought on to try and stem the tide but he gave it away a fair bit and laid one on a plate for them for the last goal. I would give him a game next week though as Norwood/Souza do not have the legs at this level.

Slimane 1/10 – Came on and gave it away instantly and got booked. He is another learning on the job and a punt that probably is playing above his level.

Basham – The game was done by this stage and he was another they just ran round like a statue.

Manager: Heckingbottom 0/10 – Not sure I have ever given a manager 0/10 but our worst defeat in our history and not sure I can give anything else. We did ok to start but seemed very open and it was not going to work. They got the first and then after this we were woeful and he made no adjustments at all. We continued to see none of the ball and the changes at half time with personnel and formation made us even more exposed. He should have changed it again but at this point seemed even he gave up. Talent wise we do not have the players but as Callum Wilson said post-game, he could not believe the time they had and how easy we were to go through. The fact we just continued to sit off and not engage and effectively let them walk through is on the players but the manager of course takes as much responsibility.

We have conceded 9 goals from crosses – triple any other side at this level. So if we are being walked through the middle and crosses are not being defended, we are going to ship goals and lose most games. We looked totally disorganised today and had no structure or idea how to stop the other team in any way.

There will be pressure on him. I never believed the guff Bettis came out with saying he was safe and we would not sack him if we went down. The Wilder rumours clearly had some substance too I feel. I might be wrong. If we lose another game like that or similar circumstances, then he probably gets sacked. I do not think it is his fault we are in this position but sadly results speak and if we go on a run of 4 or 5 more defeats, they would probably sack him in my opinion. Again, that would still be harsh and not sure anyone changes things or keeps us up but managers at any level do not go 10-15 games without a win and long losing streaks. Even Wilder went eventually (after his incredible work). He will be seen as someone out of his depth and his rants last week won’t help endear him to the wider football world. I don’t give a damn about them but he now has the tag of overseeing the worst ever defeat in United’s history and has to galvanise the club/team. As I say I am not for it, as not sure any manager keeps us up, but if we lost a few more then the pressure would mount. That;’s the nature of football.

Newcastle – Thought the open game suited them but they could have trailed early on and the game was quite even but as soon as they led, the confidence drained from us and they just put their foot down. They are good on set plays and scored two headers and that was it. After the break, they just passed it through us and we could not get close to them and showed what good players they have although will not play a team as bad as us again in a game like that. They actually could have scored at least 10. It was so easy but they were ruthless and just kept going and going. They realised how easy it was to get through us and the goals they scored were so poor. They just passed it through and with one pass or cross had a one on one/free header. Hard to gauge how good they were or how bad we were? Maybe it was a bit of both but if an opponent does not tackles or get close to you, then it is easy for quality players to just run through and score goal after goal. It was men v boys and in the end they were just talking the mickey out of us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Name any of the eleven but Gordon was outstanding and tore us apart. Both Bogle and Ahmedhodzic were given a going over all game. The rest of the side just walked through us all game. It was not even competitive but they turned it on.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure there were any. They were better man for man in every position and by huge margins. Bigger, stronger, faster and more technical.

Referee/Officials – They did not help as the first seemed dodgy and maybe the third may not have been a free kick but not going to talk about them in an 0-8 defeat. I am sure some will say they are decisions that affect things and maybe they do but we are conceding so much possession and ground, teams will have more chances/opportunities. I think looking at the officials is becoming tiring. Noone will gave a crap about us bleating about them and I am sick of looking to them. We have to be better. The crowd looking for fouls that were not there (they just outmuscled us) was a bit desperate I felt. We were so slow and despite a few bookings, felt we just let them run through us and never tackled them all game!

Matchday/Crowd – Newcastle fans will remember a famous victory for some time and were loud and supportive -easy to do when you are hammering a side. United fans were vocal to begin and then turned their ire to the officials but this seemed a bit desperate. After the game went, many drifted away and despite one chant of ‘We love United we do!’ the ground was half empty by full time. One of the worst afternoon’s for many Blades to experience in terms of a one-sided game. I recall us getting battered 0-4 to Sunderland under Bruce and 2-5 to Norwich under Porterfield. Also the 0-5 under McEwan when he got sacked after Oldham hammered us but 0-8. Wow. I am not sure we will ever lose by such a margin in ever of our lifetimes. An embarrassing afternoon.

Agree with your assessment of our new signings. Most look miles off it.

In over 60 years I have never seen a Blades team capitulate after 55 minutes, their fourth goal, as I did today. No one minds losing but the lack of fight, desire, leadership were all missing for that last 35 minutes. It was embarrassing and I'm disappointed the manager didn't apologise post match although he looked equally as numb as I still feel now many hours after the game.

75% of goals conceded in the air at the back yet a £5 million centre back 6 foot 3 in Trusty kicks his heels on the bench again. Surely he was worth bringing on at half time keeping the back 5 and trying to address our lack of aerial ability. What happens second half they score their fourth in the air unchallenged and the team to a man clock off early.

No leaders on the pitch and none off it. Going to a back four was suicidal and so it proved. Egan and JLT our 2 slowest defenders were left in the barcode forwards slip streams. We have no cohesion in midfield, that went with Berge and Ndiaye. We seem incapable of getting behind the opposition and the only player that looked a threat young Mcatee was too often isolated.

Without the fight of Mcb and Baldock we look rudderless and are being outmuscled across the whole of the pitch. Questions have to be raised about the teams lack of stamina and conditioning. Most were treading treacle after an hour. We can't keep coming up with the excuse its a lack of pre season, other teams have the same problems and cope better.

I agree this defeat can not be passed off as just 3 points lost. Its manner and the unwanted record is likely to be a millstone around the managers neck for some considerable time. What hurt the most to-day was a visible lack of pride in the shirt as heads went down too early. Thats not acceptable and any repeat performance and they will cost the manager his job.

The only thing I disagree with you on is that we might not see such a defeat again in our lifetimes. It's not inconceivable that we suffer similar or even worse scorelines this season on today's evidence.

Yeah sadly you might be right. City away?

In the other games we have been close in score line bit look at the stats...Wes kept Palace from winning 4 or 5. Ditto for City and probably Spurs too.

We could have lost by a few heavy margins already. We have conceded the most shots by a long way.

Ratings:

Subs –

I'm with you regarding Souza, looks exactly what we didn't need in midfield. Too slow and not athletic enough.

Glad you mentioned Anel. He literally gave up. His reputation has took a big hit how he's played so far this season and has really struggled with the jump up but he's not even competing and losing his battle every week.
His best performance was Spurs when he played in Egan's position. Maybe that's where we need to play him if we're also suggesting Egan needs to be taken out. He also played very well there against Spurs last season. Problem is who we play at right centre back...Trusty? As good as JLT has generally been I'd be trying him at LCB anyway. Bash? Past it now to play every week. All points to us being in a bit of a pickle, defensively.

No way was Norwood worth 2. He was slow, he panicked under pressure and his passing was atrocious. Giving Egan 1 is over generous and on a day like today, giving negative marks wouldn't go amiss. The lack of fight from some of them today was completely unacceptable and just putting the shirt on shouldn't give them any more than a big, fat zero.

UTBFTP 👊👊👊

I honestly thought that our biggest strength this season would be the back 5 and us having a solid foundation…well, I’m a fucking idiot.
Really disappointed in the character of some of the players today - Egan as captain should be leading the team better & Anel gave in and resorted to wrestling the opposition (which he also lost in a wet & weak way).
I’m actually desperate for McBurnie and Baldock to come back in just for their attitude (nothing to do with their footballing ability) and that’s pathetic.
This team needs to find some leaders on the field and fast because that result today was due to more than just inferior quality. League 2 teams don’t lose by 8 to prem opposition. A complete lack of character and organisation. Embarrassed to be a fan of that team today.

Ratings:

Subs –

Great report - thanks

I agree with you re Souza - terrible player imo . offers nothing .

This is the worst / pound for pound / league for league / Utd team / squad i have seen in 53 years of going through the turnstile .

Glad you mentioned Anel. He literally gave up. His reputation has took a big hit how he's played so far this season and has really struggled with the jump up but he's not even competing and losing his battle every week.

As with all our players apart from McBurnie, all they do on set pieces is wrap their arms around players, or pull their shirt. Anel did that with Burn, grabbed his shirt rather than get goal side and block. I played centre half for over 30 years, it's not that hard so God alone knows what they do in training.

I'm with you regarding Souza, looks exactly what we didn't need in midfield. Too slow and not athletic enough.
He had a good spell against Forest for about 20 mins, and then went off with cramp. Ever since then he’s done nothing. You watch him weak in the tackle and think god is he meant to be our midfield enforcer. Teams just run through us every week.

It was like boys against men today.

I thought Souza was going to be a unit. He certainly looked the part. But utterly exposed today and doesn't stamp his authority on the game. But it's too early to write him off completely. We switched to a flat back four but really the game was lost by then and the team had unforgivably given up. We also played a flat back four with three centre backs.

I’m actually desperate for McBurnie and Baldock to come back in just for their attitude (nothing to do with their footballing ability) and that’s pathetic.
This team needs to find some leaders on the field and fast because that result today was due to more than just inferior quality.
This. At no point did the players rally each other round and say get it together. Not a single leader on the pitch. When does professional pride kick in for some of them? I don’t expect the new lads to bleed red and white but if you want someone to pay you a lot of money you need to show a bit of fight.

Ratings:

Subs –

Fair report, like you I haven't been convinced with Souza.

When he does stuff he does it well, but seems far too slow to react and gets caught out or puts himself under pressure a lot of the time.

I thought Souza was going to be a unit. He certainly looked the part. But utterly exposed today and doesn't stamp his authority on the game. But it's too early to write him off completely. We switched to a flat back four but really the game was lost by then and the team had unforgivably given up. We also played a flat back four with three centre backs.

Souza had to do the work of two because Norwood had a day off. Hamer did nothing and in reality,Souza was lost because he had nothing at the side of him.

Ratings:

Subs –

I really don't want to be that guy after you've made the effort to be as complete as ever on today of all days...

But Hecky hasn't presided over the worst defeat in our history and Wes hadn't conceded the most goals ever for a Blades keeper.

Maybe you mean in the Premier League (?) but it just sounds a bit sensationalist for something that's bad enough already.

This. At no point did the players rally each other round and say get it together. Not a single leader on the pitch. When does professional pride kick in for some of them? I don’t expect the new lads to bleed red and white but if you want someone to pay you a lot of money you need to show a bit of fight.
They ought to show some bleeding pride because if they don’t, they’ll have very short lived top flight careers - can’t see any other teams signing them if they look like disinterested bottle-jobs every week

I really don't want to be that guy after you've made the effort to be as complete as ever on today of all days...

But Hecky hasn't presided over the worst defeat in our history and Wes hadn't conceded the most goals ever for a Blades keeper.

Maybe you mean in the Premier League (?) but it just sounds a bit sensationalist for something that's bad enough already.
It's the biggest league defeat. We've never lost by more that 7 in the league before, but we've shipped more goals than 7 in the league on 3 previous occasions , 1-8 v Arsenal in 29/30, 2-9 v Arsenal in 31-2 and 3-10 v Middlesbrough 33-4. All away.

Harsh on Wes, only player to me who was worth a shirt.

Lots slated him as not being good enough for this league and so far to me anyway he's been the most consistent and looking like he belongs at this level out of any of our players.

Outside of Wes and mcatee, no one deserves anything but a big fat whatthefuckwasthat zero

It's the biggest league defeat. We've never lost by more that 7 in the league before, but we've shipped more goals than 7 in the league on 3 previous occasions , 1-8 v Arsenal in 29/30, 2-9 v Arsenal in 31-2 and 3-10 v Middlesbrough 33-4. All away.
We've had one other 8 goal defeat 1-9 v Notts County in the cup in 1890-1. Record defeat in all competitions is 0-13 at Bolton in the cup in our first season

It was our worst ever league defeat in 4,988 games. The last time we conceded more than 8 was in 1933 when we lost 10 -3 to Middlesbrough in a league game. The margin however was 7 goals so today stands as our worst ever league defeat but Wes doesn't win the prize for the most conceded as 10 were shipped in 1933.

what has happened to our defence, where is the team was so solid v man city, held out for 98 mins v spurs. to be that dreadful in a week, because we can rightly complain about shocking decisions were for the 1st 3 & incompetent refereeing gave Newcastle the opportunities. but you still have to defend, we were more interesting in grabbing than marking at set pieces. the 2nd half we gave up & couldnt defend to save our life. 4th was just so easy. 5/6/7 i cant say because id switched off, but i heard 8th on the radio & 5 live couldnt believe how bad it was

Back
Top Bottom