United 0 Newcastle 8 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fair report, like you I haven't been convinced with Souza.

When he does stuff he does it well, but seems far too slow to react and gets caught out or puts himself under pressure a lot of the time.
"Vini Flat-Foot"

Too slow to react too often. Spurs had so many shots from the edge of our box because he was a half step away to put the block in. Still slogging through the Newcastle game, but he had an OK opening 30min (as did most of the team).

Agree with your assessment of our new signings. Most look miles off it.
I just don't know who scouted the new signings because none of them have the stature , strength or fitness to be anywhere near the PL.
I know the budget was limited but getting tiny weaklings like Traore for £5m is just really stupid.
Were players recruited without Hecky seeing them in the flesh ?
If we can't get skilful players , at least get some big strong athletes who don't get brushed aside like children.
Did the club never look at the PL to see the sort of men who played there ?
Egan wasn't good enough last time and making him captain without any realistic competition for his shirt shows very poor judgment.
Once it become obvious that Osula & Jebbo were either unfit or not good enough , the failure to get even a Kieffer Moore type in attack to cover McBurnie was just negligent.
I don't even see how this summer's recruitment gives us a strong Championship side next season.
Devastating but nothing unexpected.

He made 5 or 6 saves but only one was a really decent save. The rest were straight at him. On the goals he had little chance on a number but a few went in too easy I felt. I felt 2nd half every time they shot it would go in. The issue was the defence/midfield but I fo think he does not command. He never cones for crosses and does not help take tge pressure off. The Wilson header was right in the 6 yard box. He wasn't dreadful but 8 goals went past him.

His decision making and distribution was awful too. He put us under pressure with shocking passes/kuck outs.

In other games like City he made some superb saves or that could have been 5 or 6...ditto for Palace.

Wes is the least of our issues but a keeper who concedes 8 and only makes 3 or 4 routine saves (none were outstanding) is not going to get much of a mark.

What I would say is a lot of us have said we have been in games till yesterday but actually without Wes we could have had more hammerings. We've conceded the most shots by any team. Nearly 180 shots in 6 games.

The keeper us being put under way too much pressure.
fully agree

I just don't know who scouted the new signings because none of them have the stature , strength or fitness to be anywhere near the PL.
I know the budget was limited but getting tiny weaklings like Traore for £5m is just really stupid.
Were players recruited without Hecky seeing them in the flesh ?
If we can't get skilful players , at least get some big strong athletes who don't get brushed aside like children.
Did the club never look at the PL to see the sort of men who played there ?
Egan wasn't good enough last time and making him captain without any realistic competition for his shirt shows very poor judgment.
Once it become obvious that Osula & Jebbo were either unfit or not good enough , the failure to get even a Kieffer Moore type in attack to cover McBurnie was just negligent.
I don't even see how this summer's recruitment gives us a strong Championship side next season.
Devastating but nothing unexpected.
great post

In over 60 years I have never seen a Blades team capitulate after 55 minutes, their fourth goal, as I did today. No one minds losing but the lack of fight, desire, leadership were all missing for that last 35 minutes. It was embarrassing and I'm disappointed the manager didn't apologise post match although he looked equally as numb as I still feel now many hours after the game.

75% of goals conceded in the air at the back yet a £5 million centre back 6 foot 3 in Trusty kicks his heels on the bench again. Surely he was worth bringing on at half time keeping the back 5 and trying to address our lack of aerial ability. What happens second half they score their fourth in the air unchallenged and the team to a man clock off early.

No leaders on the pitch and none off it. Going to a back four was suicidal and so it proved. Egan and JLT our 2 slowest defenders were left in the barcode forwards slip streams. We have no cohesion in midfield, that went with Berge and Ndiaye. We seem incapable of getting behind the opposition and the only player that looked a threat young Mcatee was too often isolated.

Without the fight of Mcb and Baldock we look rudderless and are being outmuscled across the whole of the pitch. Questions have to be raised about the teams lack of stamina and conditioning. Most were treading treacle after an hour. We can't keep coming up with the excuse its a lack of pre season, other teams have the same problems and cope better.

I agree this defeat can not be passed off as just 3 points lost. Its manner and the unwanted record is likely to be a millstone around the managers neck for some considerable time. What hurt the most to-day was a visible lack of pride in the shirt as heads went down too early. Thats not acceptable and any repeat performance and they will cost the manager his job.
Do the Prince & Bettis even understand enough football to recognise how the players capitulated ?
Prince is never there and to him it's just a bad investment which he is hoping & praying will go away of its own accord.
Unfortunately there are years of pain ahead for us Blades and I think the new players now realise this after settling in and working out what a shitshow they've signed for.
Their performances reeked of not wanting to be here - like they'd accepted we're going down and why should they bother fighting the inevitable.
I know it's not a huge amount of money but can anyone see £10m in Souza or £5m in Traore ?
And as for £6m Trusty , he can't even get on the pitch when we're shipping goals !
That was how we spent our £20m budget.
Ignoring the late late swaps of Berge & Ndiaye for Hamer & Archer , the latter completely useless without a partner up front.

Back
Top Bottom