Match Thread Coventry City v. Sheffield United - 12th March 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

COV
COV
COV

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1647032717378.png V. 1647032724040.png
Championship Week 36 - Saturday 12th March 2022 - 15:00 - Coventry Building Society Arena
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - Coventry City vs Sheffield United

Officials:

Referee: Jeremy Simpson
Assistant Referee: Rob Smith
Assistant Referee: Richard Wild
Fourth Official: Leigh Doughty

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1647032691729.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Last edited:

Absolute shambles, don't know how we can go from absolutely dominating borough to this shite. Hope hecky gives them a right bollocking and just put it behind us and on to the next one, can't afford to let shit displays like that effect the whole season, need a big bounce back on wednesday.

Not that outstanding. The 1st was saveable and the second he ballsed up after the initial save.

But yes, the best of a poor bunch at the back.
It was a one on one to be fair, the striker is expected to score and he must have saved at least 3 others where they were clean through
He's probably more of a bounty man the absolute scumbag

Just one of those days. Nothing much we tried seemed to work whereas Coventry played well and got all the breaks.
They had more energy and were tactically better. We allowed the game to be way too open and fell into a trap, even if it was good entertainment.

Gyokeres had a great game, ran rings around our defense and did what Bereton-Diaz did to us at Blackburn.

At least we learnt that Gordon-Egan partnership is a disaster. They had zero communication.

Commentators said the field looked fine but it looked hard and bobbly to me. Led to a lot of scrappy rebounds and Coventry seems to pick up on them all. Must be used to playing on a rugby field.

We could have let in 8 or 9 there if it wasn’t for Wes.

As a 4-1 loss I dont feel that bad.

We go again. Consider play offs as a bonus and winning them a miracle after the last 18 months.

Wes MOTM. (Blades side only)

Basically don’t enjoy wins and don’t moan when you’re getting battered? Today is a complete one off in my opinion and Tuesday took it out of us, but I’m sat here freezing in Coventry. People are entitled to have a moan as we all are.

Tell them mate they are all around you? Are they not? Take it you mean Blades at the game.. no use telling us on on here
there are difference to the moaning as that results deserves it. it was terrible

to being a late 40s early 50s man. who thinks he's stone island ross kemp. for 10 mins before he got ejected, calling players C words. being a shite oprah pointing out fans around them. saying your a wanker, your a wanker & yes your a wanker as well. the guy has my full support that told him to shut up. & stop being 7 yr old attention seeker

Absolutely slaughtered. Coventry should have been in double figures and that's no exaggeration. Their final ball and finishing was frequently poor, luckily for us. Terrible all round, but defensively at pub league standard. They made us look like we've never played together. The team looked tired. Especially Egan and Robinson. They ran rings round us. We had little energy and little pressing. We sat off their dangerous midfield and let then pick passes. They also bypassed the midfield and won 95% of battles.

Foderingham - 8 - Did a worrying charge in the first half which he got away with but saved numerous shots including a number of one-on-one. You could question him for the first goal, slightly, but did nothing really different from the other saves. Our man of the match by a very big distance.
RND - 3 - Poor going forward, slow and lacked concentration in defence.
Robinson -2 - After playing so well recently he was poor. He misjudged the header for their first and it went downhill from there. Gave the wall away badly and lost an aerial and strength battle over and over again.
Egan - 1 - Pub league standard and looked like his pre-match preparation had been in a pub. . His only defence is that he's played every game and looks very tired. Didn't track their man for the first. Amateurish really. Went downhill from there. A number of charges forward to misjudge the header and put them through. Out-fought, out-thought, out muscled, outplayed. Still can't deal with lobbed looping balls and was comprehensively massacred for 90 minutes by their strikers. Worst performance in the shirt.
Gordon - 4 - Poor but maybe the best CB. He at least got forward and tried to help, even though made bad decisions. At least put up some kind of fight against their two upfront
Osborn - 4 - Looked out of position today. Got forward much better than RND but poor in defence.
Norwood - 2 - Terrible. Gave the ball away a few times early on and defensively the opposite of against Boro. Was all over the shop and they were first to the ball every time and just ran past him.
Hourihane - 3 - Poor set-pieces. Was involved with most of the attacks first half but poor delivery. Had a few shots which he should have got on target.
Berge - 4 - Good header for the goal and the best of the midfield but mixed. Still looks so slow and ponderous on the ball, unless running at people. Defensive side was a little better in the sense he went with their runners but was just too slow and trailed behind them.
MGW - 3 - Someone said they'd never seen him have a bad game after Boro but this is the flipside of the coin with him. Looked lively and offered for the ball but lots of poor choices. Needs to hold up the ball when things aren't going for him instead of repeatedly trying low percentage flicks and tricks and losing it. We needed to get a foot on the ball and he repeated just got outmuscles or lost it.
Sharp - 4 - Looked tired and slow. Still looked dangerous but noticeably less runs and the ball bounced off him far too much.

Subs

Little Boots - 4 - Came on, didn't do much, got a foul, got injured, went off
Ndiaye - 5 - Looked lively but like MGW tended to lose the ball too easily. He was the one player looking like he'd create something later on
Jebbison - Not on for long but looked very far from convincing

Hecky - 3 - In his defence, we're down to bare bones and there wasn't any option to rest anyone really. At half time we were lucky to be level and I expected him to change something to help the defence out but instead we just carried on until they started scoring. I would have pulled players off earlier to give them a rest when the 4th went in. Not a good day at the office.

Coventry - odd one. In a sense I thought they were poor. Had so many attacks and waster 3/4 of them with poor balls and finishing. Should have had 10. No exaggeration. They had 27 chances. That's how bad we were. Gyökeres, O'Hare, Godden and Hamer literally looked like they were having a kick about in the park.

Their front two dropped off very well and we didn’t effectively deal with that instead of two going with and one sweeping all 3 centrebacks went with them leaving our line very high. They then went long upon turning over the ball very well and very quickly normally pushing up two midfielders to compete for the second balls. Norwood lacked the athleticism to cover what was admittedly a very large amount of space and they invariably did win the second balls. Whilst this was happening both strikers pushed up to play on the shoulder. Once these balls had been picked up then it was once again clipped into the space behind our high line and once it was a foot race well it was over.

A very simple game plan and damned effective. It wasn’t something we were going to be able to adapt too or fix on the fly given the personnel out there. They weren’t all suddenly going to become a yard faster and so it’s something which should’ve been addressed with a change of shape but it wasn’t and we saw the result.

Just out of the ground on minibus.

Dreadful performance but can't get too annoyed. Can't put it down to just injuries as some who've been solid for weeks lost the plot today. That said its not helping either.

Question for those more observant or listening at home - was McBurnie injured or subbed for being shite?

there are difference to the moaning as that results deserves it. it was terrible

to being a late 40s early 50s man. who thinks he's stone island ross kemp. for 10 mins before he got ejected, calling players C words. being a shite oprah pointing out fans around them. saying your a wanker, your a wanker & yes your a wanker as well. the guy has my full support that told him to shut up. & stop being 7 yr old attention seeker
Completely fair. Some fans turn up off their heads/ drunk and have no care about who’s around them

Just out of the ground on minibus.

Dreadful performance but can't get too annoyed. Can't put it down to just injuries as some who've been solid for weeks lost the plot today. That said its not helping either.

Question for those more observant or listening at home - was McBurnie injured or subbed for being shite?
Dead leg

Are you sure? On telly, Hecky seemed pissed off with him as he went past down the tunnel.
I believe so. That's what they said on Radio Sheff after the game anyway. With regards to Hecky looking pissed with him, that's the kind of look I give McBurnie, every game. I think it's just the standard look people give to the useless git.

our own enemy so many times, you cant be that sloppy with the ball in our half. unless you get the huge slice of luck we had v forest, because they broke so quickly & we couldnt deal with their pace & never learned 2nd half

but thank God for wes, conceded 4 but some great saves & couldve so much worse. it was a terrible result, but thinking about it. we need to just get the international break. refresh, get players back. as we are doing wonders on bare bones at times

Absolutely slaughtered. Coventry should have been in double figures and that's no exaggeration. Their final ball and finishing was frequently poor, luckily for us. Terrible all round, but defensively at pub league standard. They made us look like we've never played together. The team looked tired. Especially Egan and Robinson. They ran rings round us. We had little energy and little pressing. We sat off their dangerous midfield and let then pick passes. They also bypassed the midfield and won 95% of battles.

Foderingham - 8 - Did a worrying charge in the first half which he got away with but saved numerous shots including a number of one-on-one. You could question him for the first goal, slightly, but did nothing really different from the other saves. Our man of the match by a very big distance.
RND - 3 - Poor going forward, slow and lacked concentration in defence.
Robinson -2 - After playing so well recently he was poor. He misjudged the header for their first and it went downhill from there. Gave the wall away badly and lost an aerial and strength battle over and over again.
Egan - 1 - Pub league standard and looked like his pre-match preparation had been in a pub. . His only defence is that he's played every game and looks very tired. Didn't track their man for the first. Amateurish really. Went downhill from there. A number of charges forward to misjudge the header and put them through. Out-fought, out-thought, out muscled, outplayed. Still can't deal with lobbed looping balls and was comprehensively massacred for 90 minutes by their strikers. Worst performance in the shirt.
Gordon - 4 - Poor but maybe the best CB. He at least got forward and tried to help, even though made bad decisions. At least put up some kind of fight against their two upfront
Osborn - 4 - Looked out of position today. Got forward much better than RND but poor in defence.
Norwood - 2 - Terrible. Gave the ball away a few times early on and defensively the opposite of against Boro. Was all over the shop and they were first to the ball every time and just ran past him.
Hourihane - 3 - Poor set-pieces. Was involved with most of the attacks first half but poor delivery. Had a few shots which he should have got on target.
Berge - 4 - Good header for the goal and the best of the midfield but mixed. Still looks so slow and ponderous on the ball, unless running at people. Defensive side was a little better in the sense he went with their runners but was just too slow and trailed behind them.
MGW - 3 - Someone said they'd never seen him have a bad game after Boro but this is the flipside of the coin with him. Looked lively and offered for the ball but lots of poor choices. Needs to hold up the ball when things aren't going for him instead of repeatedly trying low percentage flicks and tricks and losing it. We needed to get a foot on the ball and he repeated just got outmuscles or lost it.
Sharp - 4 - Looked tired and slow. Still looked dangerous but noticeably less runs and the ball bounced off him far too much.

Subs

Little Boots - 4 - Came on, didn't do much, got a foul, got injured, went off
Ndiaye - 5 - Looked lively but like MGW tended to lose the ball too easily. He was the one player looking like he'd create something later on
Jebbison - Not on for long but looked very far from convincing

Hecky - 3 - In his defence, we're down to bare bones and there wasn't any option to rest anyone really. At half time we were lucky to be level and I expected him to change something to help the defence out but instead we just carried on until they started scoring. I would have pulled players off earlier to give them a rest when the 4th went in. Not a good day at the office.

Coventry - odd one. In a sense I thought they were poor. Had so many attacks and waster 3/4 of them with poor balls and finishing. Should have had 10. No exaggeration. They had 27 chances. That's how bad we were. Gyökeres, O'Hare, Godden and Hamer literally looked like they were having a kick about in the park.
Gordon 0. Minus 10 but as the scale is 1 to 10. Gordon 1, do not ever pretend to be a footballer again. I've seen better 50 year olds at pits than this non footballer

Gordon 0. Minus 10 but as the scale is 1 to 10. Gordon 1, do not ever pretend to be a footballer again. I've seen better 50 year olds at pits than this non footballer
He's a young lad coming into a patched up team. I feel you're being incredibly unfair.

I see on here many fans going on about hwo good the youth players are and how we should be playing the kids and then laying into them when we do.

What are you, a 5 year old? Your posts are just rubbish without any meaningful content. Putting you on ignore as I can't stand reading your unintelligent ramblings

One of those games where everything went wrong. Tired performance. Worst defending I’ve seen from a Blades team for a long time, McBurnie for Egan would have been a better use of a sub.

If we win the next 2 games it’s a blip and forgot about, so let’s do that.

Serious question, what the fuck are you on about?

Nobody saw this coming. Very bad result.

One of those games where everything went wrong. Tired performance. Worst defending I’ve seen from a Blades team for a long time, McBurnie for Egan would have been a better use of a sub.

If we win the next 2 games it’s a blip and forgot about, so let’s do that.
says alot about Mcburnie, i didnt realise he was on until he came off

Back
Top Bottom