Coronavirus - a real season spoiling threat?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Postpone, play behind closed doors or carry on?

• Total voters

What will they find a cure for first: coronavirus or overlapping centre-backs?

Well the cure was coming when we went into the championship, it never came. When we went into the Prem it was given <1% of a chance of survival, well we fucked that shit up too.

Covid-19 will get found out, we won't.

That’s the point, larger gatherings haven’t been banned, so football should continue.

People may think that makes me a selfish twat, but it’s just following the advice of government experts!
Football had to stop once players and staff started with the virus just accept it

UEFA proposing an idea to play Euros this Winter.
Can’t get me head round how thats going to work.
From the Telegraph.

Uefa will consider moving Euro 2020 to December in a bid to allow the Premier League and other club competitions to catch up this summer following the unprecedented sporting chaos caused by coronavirus.
Radical proposals will be debated on Tuesday after Britain's sporting landscape was decimated over the past 48 hours, with top-level football as well as the London Marathon and Masters suspended.
With the whole of Europe now in sporting lockdown, sources say the Uefa emergency meeting will discuss moving the international tournament as well as potentially the Champions League and Europa League. While the summer of 2021 is free of major men’s tournaments, the possibility of playing the international tournament later this year will also be raised for discussion amongst Uefa’s 55 member associations.
Major cancellations are continuing to pile up after the biggest sporting disruption during peacetime was launched by governing authorities on Friday.
After football, the marathon, Wales’s Six Nations match with Scotland, England’s cricket tour of Sri Lanka, the start of the Formula One season, and the Giro d’Italia were all shelved, it also emerged:
  • Premiership Rugby is expected to announce on Monday that all league matches will be postponed for at least four weeks, allowing for at least the next two rounds of matches to be suspended
  • The Grand National remains hopeful being able to go ahead behind-closed-doors, with organisers hopeful that rural-based jockeys are less likely to contract the virus that footballers
  • England captain Joe Root admitted his players’ “minds were elsewhere” as they worried about being put in isolation in Sri Lanka due to the coronavirus and expressed his “relief” over the cancellation of the tour.
  • Sanzaar, the governing body behind Super Rugby, announced that the competition will be suspended "for the foreseeable future"
  • Arsenal's Mikel Arteta says he is "feeling better already" after testing positive the virus on Thursday, along with Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi
A steward at Millwalls's Den after their game against Derby was postponed

A steward at Millwalls's Den after their game against Derby was postponed CREDIT: JAMES CHANCE/GETTY IMAGES
With sport continuing to take matters into its own hands as the British death toll hit 21, the Prime Minister is also planning to push all events behind-closed-doors this week due to the worsening pandemic. Sources say it is all-but-inevitable that Euro 2020 will be moved, given the backlog of domestic fixtures that need to be completed. The competition, with Wembley hosting the semi-finals and final, were due to take place between June 12 and July 12 at multiple venues across Europe. Italy, who have been hit hardest by the spread of coronavirus, were scheduled to stage the opening match against Turkey in Rome.
Moving the European Championship to December would mirror Fifa's plans for the 2022 World Cup, which also disrupts domestic competitions by beginning in November to help players cope with the heat in Qatar. Premier League clubs have already joined France, Germany, Italy and Spain in holding a winter break and plans have already started to shorten or move the break in two years when the World Cup gets played in November and December.
Those plans of a mid-season major tournament would be brought forward in the event of the Euros getting a six-month delay rather than being scrapped or played in 2021. Officials will thrash out a plan on Tuesday when they hold their meeting through video conference calling.
Several club officials have already expressed doubt, meanwhile, that the suspended Premier League can resume at the start of April. Clubs will meet again this week to discuss plans. Paul Barber, the Brighton chief executive, said that it is unlikely that the league will resume next month, but he it remains clubs' "priority" that it can be completed, presumably over the summer.

"Our priority in the Premier League is to play out the remainder of the season that’s what we all want, that’s what the fans want," he said. "But we also have to be realistic that we don’t know where this virus is heading...We have to put people's health first and at the moment it is really hard to imagine putting on a game in two or three weeks time given the scenario we're in."
Karren Brady, the West Ham vice-chairman, sparked anger by calling in her column in The Sun for the 2019-20 season to be declared "null and void" if the pandemic fails to ease. However, Barber and other club executives disagree, and, as the Daily Telegraph disclosed on Saturday, the broad opinion amongst clubs is that runaway leaders Liverpool should be awarded the title whatever is decided.
"Every league starts with an expectation of completing 38 fixtures in the Premier League and we really want to be able to do that," Barber told the BBC's Football Focus. "If we freeze the league I think it would be really unjust not to give Liverpool the title because everybody in the game appreciates what a fantastic season they’ve had and what a wonderful team they are, so that for me would be very unjust."
Wimbledon, Royal Ascot and the Boat Race are also likely to be affected in the coming days.[\quote]

I put my season ticket away out of my wallet into a drawer yesterday. That's how confident I am of not seeing any football any time soon.

The govt very risky herd immunity plans means the worst of it won't hit us for months over here. They essentially anticipate the height of the virus to be around May time (I am guessing we are delaying an Italy style quarantee with school closures etc until around then - thats probably 8+ weeks of noone leaving the house from May) means the earliest we will see any football would be Sept-Oct. That's the best cased scenario. I would not be shocked if the next football of any kind is not played until 2021.

Matters little really as sadly as much as it's such a big part of our lives, it is not really that important when we anticipate what could happen over the next few months.

Sorry to be a purveyor of doom but the reality is this thing ain't going away any time soon.

I want to know whether they will be paying their staff that normally would be working on match days eg: caterers, box office staff etc.

I’m assuming that catering staff are employed by contractors so the club can wash their hands off it?

Sorry to be a purveyor of doom but the reality is this thing ain't going away any time soon.

Totally agree. Life is going to halt. Completely. Just look at the scenes in Italy and Spain.

Not sure the vast majority have got it into their heads yet though. Still months away from the peak.

I put my season ticket away out of my wallet into a drawer yesterday. That's how confident I am of not seeing any football any time soon.

The govt very risky herd immunity plans means the worst of it won't hit us for months over here. They essentially anticipate the height of the virus to be around May time (I am guessing we are delaying an Italy style quarantee with school closures etc until around then - thats probably 8+ weeks of noone leaving the house from May) means the earliest we will see any football would be Sept-Oct. That's the best cased scenario. I would not be shocked if the next football of any kind is not played until 2021.

Matters little really as sadly as much as it's such a big part of our lives, it is not really that important when we anticipate what could happen over the next few months.

You'd better tell us which drawer, so you've got something to refer back to when you inevitably forget in a couple of months time!

You'd better tell us which drawer, so you've got something to refer back to when you inevitably forget in a couple of months time!

Phew. Some one is thinking! Top drawer in my bedroom..in with the socks

Totally agree. Life is going to halt. Completely. Just look at the scenes in Italy and Spain.

Not sure the vast majority have got it into their heads yet though. Still months away from the peak.

Out of interest what qualifies you to make such predictions?

I don’t have the experience or knowledge of virus pandemics to predict what will happen over the next week, month or year. Last week things advanced very quickly, for all I know in a couple of weeks things could’ve improved.

Don't you know it is us old un's that is ruining the planet?
But still we got milk and pop in glass bottles that were washed and re-used not bottles made of plastic. We walked to school we didn't get dropped of in a gas guzzling Land Rover 4x4. When it was cold we walked across the yard with a hammer to break the ice in the shit house before taking a dump no central heating for most of us if you had a fire in one room you were lucky, if it was really cold at night you got you dads old army trench coat chucked over your bed ......................... fuckin young un's don't know they are born.
Said same thing yesterday metal breaking ice ion bloody inside of windows in bedroom, fastest shit in world b4 your arse welded to the seat with ice, you had a seat if posh, if not porcelain. Shock horror we drank out of the same bottle played with toys with lead paint on them and don't forget we were sent to school in freezing cold with fucking short trousers on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of interest what qualifies you to make such predictions?

I don’t have the experience or knowledge of virus pandemics to predict what will happen over the next week, month or year. Last week things advanced very quickly, for all I know in a couple of weeks things could’ve improved.

Listen to what the government experts are saying. Then look at earlier hindered countries. Look at the numbers. Cold hard facts. It's insane.

Saying on TV that be keeping all over 70's in house, and them with health problems oh well that's me and lots more not gunna see the sky for quite a flipping while.

Listen to what the government experts are saying. Then look at earlier hindered countries. Look at the numbers. Cold hard facts. It's insane.

I heard one expert saying April could be the peak with the warmer weather slowing things down after that point.

I just think it’s best to follow the government advice and see how things pan out. Making predictions whether they are optimistic or pessimistic aren’t helpful.

What’s the biggest room in your house? The shithouse

If only Nige had banged his bonce on a low hanging tree branch.
Can't have your cake and halfpenny I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom