Coronavirus - a real season spoiling threat?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Postpone, play behind closed doors or carry on?

• Total voters

guancheblade

Reaction score
Hi

It seems the fear around Coronavirus is growing at an exponential rate. Even James flipping Bond is running scared of it!

There's a real threat that sporting events across the country could be massively affected by steps taken to limit the spread of the virus. It's already happening on the continent - games played behind closed doors, etc - we have a really exciting end to the season ahead, Euro2020, Olympics... all of it could be in jeopardy.

It would be just our luck that the first time we are threatening European qualification something comes along to spoil the party. Can you imagine if every PL game had to be played behind closed doors until the end of the season for example? How about reaching an FA Cup final for the first time in any of our lifetimes only to be denied the opportunity to see attend the game in person?!

I know i'm jumping the gun in a big way, but it's something that could easily happen should things continue at the speed they are doing.

That does sound like the sort of bonkers thing someone might have made up at the start of the season as an example of a completely unlikely way that things might go tits up for the Blades🤣
At least it wouldn't be only us affected this time.
Or maybe the EPL decides it's only our games have to be played behind closed doors due to SAG advice?🤔

The last time we had a great team destined to challenge for major honours was in 1939 with a young Jimmy Hagan weaving his magic.
Think we were 2nd in the league and looking strong....then...............

World war 2 started and the league had to be abandoned for 6 years.

Could be worse.....imagine Leeds fans if their team are refused promotion due to it being declared null and void.

If it does get really bad with millions infected, it's alright saying they'll play games behind closed doors but what if a load of the players have got it as well?

If the season did get abandoned and declared void, how would they sort out who plays in European competitions next year?

We were discussing this scenario on another thread a couple of months ago. in my view, there’s no way that the current English football season won‘t be badly affected.

My guess then was that it’ll be completed behind closed doors with all Premier League, cups and important games in other leagues being televised. This of course won’t be any benefit to lower league clubs that depend on gate money the most just to keep afloat so the EFL/ FA/ government might look into some sort of financial help. Of course without the backing of fans, results could be affected but at least the season would be completed.

The following season is my biggest worry as I think that that there’s every chance that it’ll be suspended, (same goes for the Euros and the Champions League etc. ), as some experts say that the virus will be peaking around June and could then run on. In that scenario, I would assume PL clubs (like us) will be getting little or no financial backing from the club sponsors and the likes of Sky and BT or any gate receipts and I’m not sure how they’d (we’d) last in that scenario.

Wouldn't it be just like us to qualify for Europe just as it’s suspended for the duration and get to the FA cup final only to have to watch it on the box? Still, in the scheme of things...

If it does get really bad with millions infected, it's alright saying they'll play games behind closed doors but what if a load of the players have got it as well?

If the season did get abandoned and declared void, how would they sort out who plays in European competitions next year?
I think fit young players will probably catch it and get over it without too much trouble based on when we know. It might lead to a bit of rejigging games to do it but they’ve as much chance of resuming their employment as any young fit person in any job.

If things got to the stage of playing behind closed doors, broadcasting the matches live is a must. ifollow and the F.A. cup on facebook shows it could be done.

I think the season will be all but done before it takes a real hold across the country. The Euros etc & next season would be a greater concern.

I think the season will be all but done before it takes a real hold across the country. The Euros etc & next season would be a greater concern.

Yeah I think there Euros could be cancelled. Just when England had a chance of playing the final at Wembley.

I think China, with it's billion people, is up to something like 80k cases.

I suspect that the few survivors of this outbreak will rebuild humanity, in time.

And hopefully they won't make the mistake of including Wednesday in their plans.

I look forward to A Better Tomorrow.

There may not be a 'next year' 😮

Here are some facts...(based on estimates I should add)...

1583416457952.png

In recent years there have been two threatened pandemics that did not materialise, both from strains of coronavirus: Serious Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2002-03, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012.

Neither of these outbreaks have been linked to any deaths in the UK.

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 90.

The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 0.

We have some way to go before this is anywhere near the severity of the swine flu epidemic of 2009. We didn't close down public events, like football matches, back then.

The Chief Medical Officer for England said today that there is a risk in taking such measures too soon.

It is, too soon, at the moment, to know what will happen.

I think China, with it's billion people, is up to something like 80k cases.

I suspect that the few survivors of this outbreak will rebuild humanity, in time.
Talking of infected countries, I've just realised that no figures are available for Russia and North Korea, this seems very strange as both of them have borders with China, and in the case of North Korea,South Korea as well. It defies belief that both countries have no cases of the virus, so why no info. from either?.

It's sod's law that it will happen to us, because throughout my time as a Blade something bizarre always happens and derails us one way or another.

What I don't get though, is the point of all this talk of stopping people attending work/events etc. when it really only affects the elderly or those with underlying health problems. Wouldn't it be far better logistically, socially and economically to only isolate those people at risk? 90% of the population could just carry on as normal knowing that even if they did get it (chances are slim) they'd be fine after a week or so.

It's sod's law that it will happen to us, because throughout my time as a Blade something bizarre always happens and derails us one way or another.

What I don't get though, is the point of all this talk of stopping people attending work/events etc. when it really only affects the elderly or those with underlying health problems. Wouldn't it be far better logistically, socially and economically to only isolate those people at risk? 90% of the population could just carry on as normal knowing that even if they did get it (chances are slim) they'd be fine after a week or so.
If you think you're off to Wembley to see the Blades for the first time in a Cup Final in our lifetimes, and leave me locked up for the day, have another think...
Signed:
HodgysBrokenThumb, age 72 and three-quarters
(On behalf of all old Blades)
PS And don't come asking for my loyalty points, either...

A brick wall round Bournemouth would go a long way to that end.

Talking of infected countries, I've just realised that no figures are available for Russia and North Korea, this seems very strange as both of them have borders with China, and in the case of North Korea,South Korea as well. It defies belief that both countries have no cases of the virus, so why no info. from either?.

The Russians will lie and issue whatever figures happen to suit them at the time (think Crimea/Ukraine/Syria etc where 'no Russians' are involved in any military action)

Nobody is allowed to leave North Korea so 'travel' isn't really an issue. The border they share with China is 'closed' at the best of times and miles from the source of the outbreak.

I'm sure NKT will have a line on it though. The whole virus has been dreamed up by the evil EFL to thwart the world's biggest ever bestest club, from their rightful place at the summit of world football, etc etc etc.....

That does sound like the sort of bonkers thing someone might have made up at the start of the season as an example of a completely unlikely way that things might go tits up for the Blades🤣
At least it wouldn't be only us affected this time.
Or maybe the EPL decides it's only our games have to be played behind closed doors due to SAG advice?🤔
Something always comes along to trip the Blades up,always has done and always will.The last thing was Ched Evans when he was having his best season ever and we were certs for promotion .After he was sentenced we were never going up.If not the virus it would have been something else.Piggies to get docked 20 points and then championship to be made null and void.

I wonder if the bigger sponsors - and the EPL and their "partners" would prefer games being played behind closed doors with potentially much bigger audiences for every game? Imagine the income loss if everything stopped?

If you think owd farts like me are going to stop in while you young whippersnappers go and watch t’ Blades and enjoy your bloody sens yer can bollocks! 😉

Because preventing public panic means convincing people that you are in fact taking measures to prevent or control a problem. It has far less to do with the actual risk that problem carries.

And I am fully aware of what an idiot I'm going to look if games get cancelled or half the world is wiped out. Fortunately, in that event, people will have more to worry about than my posts.

Here are some facts...(based on estimates I should add)...

View attachment 73045

In recent years there have been two threatened pandemics that did not materialise, both from strains of coronavirus: Serious Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2002-03, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012.

Neither of these outbreaks have been linked to any deaths in the UK.

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 90.

The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 0.

We have some way to go before this is anywhere near the severity of the swine flu epidemic of 2009. We didn't close down public events, like football matches, back then.

The Chief Medical Officer for England said today that there is a risk in taking such measures too soon.

It is, too soon, at the moment, to know what will happen.
If you believe the news we’re heading for a zombie apocalypse

Back
Top Bottom