Player Suggestion Conor Hourahane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We already have Fleck, Osborn and Freeman who have had arguably similar Championship level careers.

This only works for me if one or more of those is going.

As has been mentioned before we need a bit more athleticism in the team. If Norwood is in there, the others need to be able to cover ground.

He has 31 goals 30 assists in 145 games in the Championship. That’s a very good return for a CM.
A comparison to Duffy 140 games 13 goals 26 assists.
Fleck has 4 championship goals and 17 assists from 87 games so CH has a far better championship return than Fleck too. 3 or 4 years ago it'd have been an exciting signing but if we're replacing our midfielders who were poor last season then I'd rather we do so with younger players with their best years ahead of them.

yeah would seem a bit lopsided if we signed him 4 left footed midfielders its really right sided midfielders we need to come in

Fleck has 4 championship goals and 17 assists from 87 games so CH has a far better championship return than Fleck too. 3 or 4 years ago it'd have been an exciting signing but if we're replacing our midfielders who were poor last season then I'd rather we do so with younger players with their best years ahead of them.
Yeah I see what your saying but we have a lack of goals from our midfielders and I think CH will add that. I think there are possibly better options but I think he would be a good short term signing

Yeah I see what your saying but we have a lack of goals from our midfielders and I think CH will add that. I think there are possibly better options but I think he would be a good short term signing
Yeah we definitely need more goals from midfield. As a short term addition he'd be ok, if this type of signing was all that was available to us (notwithstanding some of the unfavourable reports of his recent form). It would be kicking the can down the road a bit though, if our ambition is to get back to the PL. Fleck and Norwood would need replacing if we got promoted, signing CH wouldn't solve that issue.

I'd love us to sign a 25 year old, with more time left in the clock, but ultimately we just need to get promoted, Hourihane scored 5 goals for Swansea last season in 19 games, so if he does that for us this season that's potentially 10 goals, chucked in with numerous assists. We need someone capable of taking decent corners, they've really gone downhill last season. I take what people are saying over another left footer, has he ever played on the right and cut in? If he does sign I wonder how he fits in with Norwood and Fleck, unless he is to play as an attacking mid?

I'd love us to sign a 25 year old, with more time left in the clock, but ultimately we just need to get promoted, Hourihane scored 5 goals for Swansea last season in 19 games, so if he does that for us this season that's potentially 10 goals, chucked in with numerous assists. We need someone capable of taking decent corners, they've really gone downhill last season. I take what people are saying over another left footer, has he ever played on the right and cut in? If he does sign I wonder how he fits in with Norwood and Fleck, unless he is to play as an attacking mid?
exactly this, he could be this seasons Norwood

I'm not sold on this transfer to be honest. He's 30 and will be on a packet. I think there is better out there for us.

We already have Fleck, Osborn and Freeman who have had arguably similar Championship level careers.

This only works for me if one or more of those is going.

As has been mentioned before we need a bit more athleticism in the team. If Norwood is in there, the others need to be able to cover ground.
I reckon Fleck is dreaming of Rangers after brown-nosing LunnyCunt's move in the media. And if so , I hope he follows his mate - Fleck was shite last season , no creation , no threat on goal , barely a tackle , so Hourihane might be a decent replacement.
In fact , with nice fat contracts , neither Fleck nor Norwood could put in a decent corner or tackle a fish supper last season , but Boris the Blade might just kick Ollie's arse , having managed him before.

i agree with you on fleck he put a lot of half arsed performances in last season but he wont get away with those types of performances under slav osborn isnt a good enough midfield player to put him under pressure so we definetly need another left footed midfielder to come in

If he's better than a traffic cone that every now and again explodes taking out half the team in red n white, then he's going to be an improvement on the previous wanker who we had in midfield who has since left us.

I'd have a blind man in their next season and call it an improvement.

Some fans will only truly realise just how much twatchops was taking the piss out of their club when they see us again next season and see 11 players buying into what the manager is asking and see the players each playing for each other. Impossible last season when you see one of em taking the piss each game.

Last edited:
He may be 30 and he may not be fast, but he will add quality from set pieces, both shooting and crossing, and he scores goals from long range. How many times last season did we say our set pieces are crap and no one is capable of a shot from outside of the box, so on this basis Hourihane will tick those boxes. If not Hourihane it'll likely be a younger player from a PL club that will be learning his trade and they can go either way, I can see Hourihane being a starter every week.

If he's better than a traffic cone that every now and again explodes taking out half the team in red n white, then he's going to be an improvement on the previous wanker who we had in midfield who has since left us.

I'd have a blind man in their next season and call it an improvement.

Some fans will only truly realise just how much twatchops was taking the piss out of their club when they see us again next season and see 11 players buying into what the manager is asking and see the players each playing for each other. Impossible last season when you see one of em taking the piss each game.
which makes it even more unbelievable that a man of such strong principles and no nonsense attitude chris wilder let him get away with taking the piss every week baffling 🤔🤔

Average signing imho. His best days are well behind him. I really hope we don’t give him a three year deal.

If this is genuinely the best we can do I won’t get my hopes up that we’ll be challenging for promotion.

He won't want to come on a short term contract, he'll be wanting a swansong deal that's not based on appearances.
I hope those days are over..

He may be 30 and he may not be fast, but he will add quality from set pieces, both shooting and crossing, and he scores goals from long range. How many times last season did we say our set pieces are crap and no one is capable of a shot from outside of the box, so on this basis Hourihane will tick those boxes. If not Hourihane it'll likely be a younger player from a PL club that will be learning his trade and they can go either way, I can see Hourihane being a starter every week.
Isn’t Brewster good at shooting from outside of the box and taking free kicks ? England thought so.

I'll go against the grain on here and say that if he does sign (2 year deal and no more please) then I could see him being a very clever signing for us. The lad has ability and has played at a top club with very decent players now for a while. The problem I think he has had is that he went from being a very big fish at Barnsley (winning their POTY) to being just another player in a dysfunctional and egocentric squad of players at Villa who were also having money problems after spending big. I think he comes across as a player who thrives in a situation where he is a big team player and not understudy to Greasy Jack and the Scottish dwarf. Not saying I think he will be a world beater, but I do think he would be a very solid decent signing for Utd who could be a pivotal player for us, if he does come to us. Another lad in the middle with some power and height and I think it would be a very strong midfield next season.

Maybe he just needs to feel like he's one of the main men in the team again?

I'll go against the grain on here and say that if he does sign (2 year deal and no more please) then I could see him being a very clever signing for us. The lad has ability and has played at a top club with very decent players now for a while. The problem I think he has had is that he went from being a very big fish at Barnsley (winning their POTY) to being just another player in a dysfunctional and egocentric squad of players at Villa who were also having money problems after spending big. I think he comes across as a player who thrives in a situation where he is a big team player and not understudy to Greasy Jack and the Scottish dwarf. Not saying I think he will be a world beater, but I do think he would be a very solid decent signing for Utd who could be a pivotal player for us, if he does come to us. Another lad in the middle with some power and height and I think it would be a very strong midfield next season.

Maybe he just needs to feel like he's one of the main men in the team again?
whos to say we wont be bringing him in plus 2 more youthful midfielders with pace and athleticism i quite like the look of this tommy doyle from city experience and youth would serve us well imo

Isn’t Brewster good at shooting from outside of the box and taking free kicks ? England thought so.
Each time I've seen Brewster shoot from outside the box its landed in the top tier/corner flag! I like Brewster, but I'll be happier when he shoots from sensible ranges only at present!

Back
Top Bottom