Player Suggestion Conor Hourahane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What have we got though?
  • Lundstram: just going through the motions at the moment and won't be here next season
  • Norwood: appears to be unable to run anymore and makes at least one bad mistake every game
  • Fleck: currently alternating between his "John" & "Jimmy" personas
  • Berge: injured but probably on his way in the summer
  • Osborn: runs around and gets involved, but not really a first XI player

Agree Hourihane's age is against him (although only a few months older than Fleck & Norwood) but he's creative, scores goals, and is good on set-pieces. Only snag is he'd probably want to play in Fleck's position.
Not sure it's a snag really. More effective in the PL than Fleck. Both 'contributed' to circa 10 goals (fleck scored 5, assisted 4, Hourihane scored 4, assisted 6), but Fleck has done this over 48 games, Hourihane over 31, most of which whilst Vilka were struggling at the bottom. Not saying I'd go for him, but this myth that Fleck can't/shouldn't be replaced is just that.

I think the issue is that our reliance on promising youngsters has backfired massively this season. Maybe we could do with a bit of Championship know-how and experience in the team. I'd prefer younger midfield targets like Mowatt or Swift but next season is our best chance at bouncing back up, so if those targets aren't available we could do worse than to go with the tried and tested.
if berge goes which seems likely i think we will be back in for swift if reading dont go up also might be tempted to go for jao if mousset is moved on hourihane swift and jao would be a good spend if we get 25m plus for berge

We need to have 2 players for each position.

An experienced championship player and a young up and coming high potential player.
Example: CDM = norwood and sign Cameron Brannigan from oxford
RWB = Baldock and bogle
LWB = Stevens and Lowe
CAM = freeman and sign dembele from posh

We let the potential kids play 15 or so games and shine while going up and give them some experience, then replace the old championship players with new players when we go up with other premier league experienced players like Noble and Milner as well as expensive potential players like Toney etc.

That way, if we come back down, we have 2 young high potential players in each position and can really tackle the championship again, when we go up again we’ll have an excellent squad full of young, experienced players with a high ceiling.

Think long game.

It's a nice thought but I don't think that works in practice over one seaon. If we spend two years in the championship, then maybe. But can anyone really see us buying that many players next season?.

Given his age, we would probably be better loaning Hourahane.

It's a nice thought but I don't think that works in practice over one seaon. If we spend two years in the championship, then maybe. But can anyone really see us buying that many players next season?.

thats probably the best idea if chris is interested in him for me osborn should be 1 of our 2 options at lwb so we really need competition for fleck and hourihane would certainly provide it

If no one vital leaves I would like us to sign 3 a true CDM, a CB/CDM hybrid player like bash and a RCM/CAM. If Berge leaves then we’ll need another RCM that should give us the ability to spend a decent amount of the budget on each of those players and hopefully get the quality we need.

If no one vital leaves I would like us to sign 3 a true CDM, a CB/CDM hybrid player like bash and a RCM/CAM. If Berge leaves then we’ll need another RCM that should give us the ability to spend a decent amount of the budget on each of those players and hopefully get the quality we need.
surely yogi if were going to carry on playing 3 at the back we have to go back to 3412 in the championship i think were going to need at least 6 in especially with lundstram and berge probably going and no doubt we will sell a couple we cant carry on playing this flat 3

surely yogi if were going to carry on playing 3 at the back we have to go back to 3412 in the championship i think were going to need at least 6 in especially with lundstram and berge probably going and no doubt we will sell a couple we cant carry on playing this flat 3
I agree we will probably go 3412 but wilder used the flat three situationally even in our promotion season I think my suggested positions fit that. Ideally we’d play with fleck and Berge with a new number 10 advanced. However if we went to a flat three we need a new CDM plus the flat three would likely return even if it was just against big teams or away from home if we were promoted. If Berge leaves we’d need a new RCM also it would help if the 10 we recruited was versatile enough to also play RCM like buendia can as that would give us tactical flexibility without needing to make a substitution and also help maximise that players playing time and therefore increase our value for money.

I agree we will probably go 3412 but wilder used the flat three situationally even in our promotion season I think my suggested positions fit that. Ideally we’d play with fleck and Berge with a new number 10 advanced. However if we went to a flat three we need a new CDM plus the flat three would likely return even if it was just against big teams or away from home if we were promoted. If Berge leaves we’d need a new RCM also it would help if the 10 we recruited was versatile enough to also play RCM like buendia can as that would give us tactical flexibility without needing to make a substitution and also help maximise that players playing time and therefore increase our value for money.
just cant see berge being here next season obviously lundstram will be gone osborn might be ok at championship level but i prefer him at lwb i think hes our best player for that spot and who knows whether norwood will get his form back i still expect us to be back in for jon swift

Osborn and RND are better lwb options than Stevens and Lowe.
would agree with you there weve got 6 wing backs thats definetly an area where we dont want any new additions stevens may well be moved on although think he would be ok in the championship covering for joc ideally we need 2 new centre backs 3 midfielders and possibly another striker if mousset goes

just cant see berge being here next season obviously lundstram will be gone osborn might be ok at championship level but i prefer him at lwb i think hes our best player for that spot and who knows whether norwood will get his form back i still expect us to be back in for jon swift
I think Osborn will cover for fleck aswell as lwb next year just because it won’t be a priority to recruit a fleck back up. If Berge does leave then we’ll need another.

I think Osborn will cover for fleck aswell as lwb next year just because it won’t be a priority to recruit a fleck back up. If Berge does leave then we’ll need another.
yes your probably right osborn will be very useful for us next season still think hes our best lwb and a combination of joc osborn and fleck down that left hand side will create plenty but we will still need another 3 midfielders in imo

Gone back to Villa now but expects to leaving them this summer.

Reckon Slav might go after him?

He could replace Norwood

he points a lot and ambles back

I’m happy for the transfers to play out however they want the managerial choice was more important to me.

Doubt Jokanovic would have come to us if the owners didnt meet his demands
yeah think your right silent he wouldnt have come here if there wasnt positive signs regarding recruitment of players i think we will sell 3 players but bring about 7 in

Back
Top Bottom