Compared with last season...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good point. :(

While I think it's turned out to be a useful exercise - going all the way back to the 2012-13 season and charting our many ups and downs over this exciting period - comparing next season in the PL with this marvellous season is going to prove inaccurate.

New thread? What about 'How the fuck are we going to get 40 points?' :D

I'm working on it...

40 points won't get us a euro spot mate ffs :rolleyes:

Here you go and what a journey it’s been!

upload_2019-5-5_14-41-47.png

After losing our first two league games this season (2018-19) – Swansea (H) and Middlesbrough (A), United responded by winning the next four games. None of our remaining seven losses all this season were followed by a subsequent loss!

A loss at Bristol City on 15th September was followed by D, W, W, W, W.

Losing at Derby County (20th October) was followed by D, W.

When we lost at Nottingham Forest (November 3rd) we reacted with D, D, W.

Then we lost at home to Leeds (December 1st) but won the next game at Reading.

The following game saw a home defeat to West Brom (December 14th) but then the next five games were D, W, W, W, W and we would only lose two more games until the end of the season! This took us into the New Year and we lost at Swansea City (Jan. 19). How would we react? D, W, D, W, W, W, D, W, W, W.

This run ended with a home loss to Bristol City but we ended the season with W, D, D, W, W, W, D.

Early Goals:

‘Early’ means when we scored in the first 15 minutes.

P 12 W 8 D 2 L 2

upload_2019-5-5_14-43-46.png

Scored first:

In games where we scored first, our record was:

P 32 W 24 D 5 L 3

Clean sheets:

This season we have kept 21 clean sheets.

Penalties:

We have scored 5 penalties this season and not let in a single one. In fact, the last time a team scored a penalty against us in the league? Last season (2017-18) on 1st January 2018 when Derby's Matěj Vydra equalised Leon Clarke’s opener in a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

Position in table:

Rock-bottom after our second game (Middlesbrough away) we eventually topped the table on two occasions but were never outside the top six after our win in the fifth game of the season (a 3-0 win at Bolton on August 25th) and have not been outside of the top three since our 3-0 win at Wigan on January 1st.

upload_2019-5-5_14-45-40.png

That Wigan game game – and the subsequent 20 fixtures – saw us keep 14 clean sheets out of 20 games, including 7 clean sheets ‘on the trot’. (The previous record was eight consecutive clean sheets set in the 2013-14 season under Nigel Clough).

Be in no doubt, this season hasn’t been a fluke. We’ve haven’t just ‘scraped into’ the Premier League via the play-offs. It’s been the result of consistency, ‘bouncebackability’, being the fourth-highest scorers in the division, conceding equal-fewer goals than any other team in the division (41, equal with Middlesbrough) and winning crucial away games at places like Leeds, Brentford and West Brom.

The run-in

As we approached the ‘business end’ of the season, United stepped up a gear. Boxing Day at home to Derby County marked the second half of the season and 23 games to go. Our record in this ‘final furlong’ was:

P 23 W 15 D 6 L 2 F 42 A 14 Pts. 51 Clean sheets: 15

This run was emphasised by the fact that – with just four games of the season remaining – Leeds were in the second automatic play-off place and led third-placed Blades by three points. A superb two wins by the Blades over Easter followed by another win over Ipswich on the final home game would see Leeds collapse under Blades-induced pressure and drop into the uncertainty of the play-offs.

upload_2019-5-5_14-47-41.png

So 78 goals scored (inc. 3 o.g.’s), 16 different scorers (Billy Sharp top-scorer with 23 league goals) and five penalties scored. Just 41 goals conceded – the equal-lowest in The Championship this season (Champions Norwich conceded 57).

Anything else? Oh yes. Just the 25 points, but I'm sure they'll be 'where they belong' in a year and Fatboy Bruce will get Wednesday out of the Championship. Into Division One. :D

upload_2019-5-5_14-50-11.png

Here you go and what a journey it’s been!

View attachment 53163

After losing our first two league games this season (2018-19) – Swansea (H) and Middlesbrough (A), United responded by winning the next four games. None of our remaining seven losses all this season were followed by a subsequent loss!

A loss at Bristol City on 15th September was followed by D, W, W, W, W.

Losing at Derby County (20th October) was followed by D, W.

When we lost at Nottingham Forest (November 3rd) we reacted with D, D, W.

Then we lost at home to Leeds (December 1st) but won the next game at Reading.

The following game saw a home defeat to West Brom (December 14th) but then the next five games were D, W, W, W, W and we would only lose two more games until the end of the season! This took us into the New Year and we lost at Swansea City (Jan. 19). How would we react? D, W, D, W, W, W, D, W, W, W.

This run ended with a home loss to Bristol City but we ended the season with W, D, D, W, W, W, D.

Early Goals:

‘Early’ means when we scored in the first 15 minutes.

P 12 W 8 D 2 L 2

View attachment 53164

Scored first:

In games where we scored first, our record was:

P 32 W 24 D 5 L 3

Clean sheets:

This season we have kept 21 clean sheets.

Penalties:

We have scored 5 penalties this season and not let in a single one. In fact, the last time a team scored a penalty against us in the league? Last season (2017-18) on 1st January 2018 when Derby's Matěj Vydra equalised Leon Clarke’s opener in a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

Position in table:

Rock-bottom after our second game (Middlesbrough away) we eventually topped the table on two occasions but were never outside the top six after our win in the fifth game of the season (a 3-0 win at Bolton on August 25th) and have not been outside of the top three since our 3-0 win at Wigan on January 1st.

View attachment 53165

That Wigan game game – and the subsequent 20 fixtures – saw us keep 14 clean sheets out of 20 games, including 7 clean sheets ‘on the trot’. (The previous record was eight consecutive clean sheets set in the 2013-14 season under Nigel Clough).

Be in no doubt, this season hasn’t been a fluke. We’ve haven’t just ‘scraped into’ the Premier League via the play-offs. It’s been the result of consistency, ‘bouncebackability’, being the fourth-highest scorers in the division, conceding equal-fewer goals than any other team in the division (41, equal with Middlesbrough) and winning crucial away games at places like Leeds, Brentford and West Brom.

The run-in

As we approached the ‘business end’ of the season, United stepped up a gear. Boxing Day at home to Derby County marked the second half of the season and 23 games to go. Our record in this ‘final furlong’ was:

P 23 W 15 D 6 L 2 F 42 A 14 Pts. 51 Clean sheets: 15

This run was emphasised by the fact that – with just four games of the season remaining – Leeds were in the second automatic play-off place and led third-placed Blades by three points. A superb two wins by the Blades over Easter followed by another win over Ipswich on the final home game would see Leeds collapse under Blades-induced pressure and drop into the uncertainty of the play-offs.

View attachment 53166

So 78 goals scored (inc. 3 o.g.’s), 16 different scorers (Billy Sharp top-scorer with 23 league goals) and five penalties scored. Just 41 goals conceded – the equal-lowest in The Championship this season (Champions Norwich conceded 57).

Anything else? Oh yes. Just the 25 points, but I'm sure they'll be 'where they belong' in a year and Fatboy Bruce will get Wednesday out of the Championship. Into Division One. :D

View attachment 53167
Great season's work Graf.

Right. Summat to while away these long, football-less Summer days. Is it worth doing a 'Compared with last season' for 2019-20? I think it is, with a twist:

Here, I've guessed/hoped/imagined the points we can realistically hope for in every game this coming season (in brackets after the opponents on the x-axis). As the season progresses, the 'actual' and 'season trendline' will alter but the 'target' will remain the same (because here I've filled in the entire season). If I'm (fairly) right, we'll get a squeaky-bum 38 points.

Thoughts? I don't mean a game-by-game opinion ('We'll never get a point at Wolves.' etc.) just is it relevant/worth it/do I need to find another hobby?

And therein lies the problem. In 2006-07, 'The Premiership' included Charlton, Blackburn, Bolton, Portsmouth and Reading. Man. City finished 14th - just four points ahead of the Blades.

Different animal this time.

There are different teams but you compare on a points by points basis - not a team by team comparison. We got 38 points last time. 38 points this time will once again be on the brink of safety - therefore it doesn't matter if the teams are different... using our last prem season as a points guide does still work.

However if you really wanted to keep it a previous season comparison maybe compare to Brighton last season?

Right. Summat to while away these long, football-less Summer days. Is it worth doing a 'Compared with last season' for 2019-20? I think it is, with a twist:

View attachment 57944

Here, I've guessed/hoped/imagined the points we can realistically hope for in every game this coming season (in brackets after the opponents on the x-axis). As the season progresses, the 'actual' and 'season trendline' will alter but the 'target' will remain the same (because here I've filled in the entire season). If I'm (fairly) right, we'll get a squeaky-bum 38 points.

Thoughts? I don't mean a game-by-game opinion ('We'll never get a point at Wolves.' etc.) just is it relevant/worth it/do I need to find another hobby?
I like this idea!

Another one could be using the final position of last season and compare it to 2006/07. E.g how did we do against the Champions that season, use that as the comparative figure for City this year etc.

Compared with last season

Signed 5 spent £22.5m v signed 2 (+1 loanee) spent £4m

Compare with the team that finished 4th bottom last season and use their points against each team (or comparable other) as a guide line?

I tried to see how we could get to a target of 40 points, and then plotted that against our actual fixture list. I then added the performance of the 17th team over the last 3 seasons -their performance by week, not against our fixture list. Plotting our actual results against these 4 lines should show us clearly if we are on course to stay up.

2019 2020 Target.jpg

Is it not worth tracking this season's points haul against the 2006/2007 season?

Yes it was 13 years ago but it was still a 20-team league with 38-to-40 points required to stay up.

I'd quite like to visualise how our peaks/dips in form will compare with Dem 06/07 Waaahhhnock Blades

grafikhaus what do you think?

1993-94 - P4 W2 D0 L2 F7 A9 Pts.6
2019-20 - P4 W1 D2 L1 F5 A5 Pts.5
1992-93 - P4 W1 D1 L2 F7 A8 Pts.4
2006-07 - P4 W0 D2 L2 F2 A4 Pts.2

Interesting that the team that conceded the most goals had the most points and the team that conceded the fewest goals had the fewest points.

OK (and can Linz /Foxy merge with this thread?), backed by popular demand ;), I've done a 'Compared with 2006-07' graph as well as a '2019-20 Survival Guide':

View attachment 60857

View attachment 60858

And that's it! No 'can we have a graph comparing...'? No. Fucking. Way. :)

Love the graph, however can you change the line style? The wavy line doesn’t look as good as the line on the top graph! Sorry to be pedantic 😂

OK (and can Linz /Foxy merge with this thread?), backed by popular demand ;), I've done a 'Compared with 2006-07' graph as well as a '2019-20 Survival Guide':

View attachment 60857

View attachment 60858

And that's it! No 'can we have a graph comparing...'? No. Fucking. Way. :)
I am going to be livid if we get 47 points u know. I have contacted numerous betting sites on twitter to give me odds on this exact number 47pts or 47+ but no one would on either. I am gonna hazard a guess that i would have got around 50/1 on 47 exact - and was gonna put a 10er on. I just had a feeling.

I am going to be livid if we get 47 points u know. I have contacted numerous betting sites on twitter to give me odds on this exact number 47pts or 47+ but no one would on either. I am gonna hazard a guess that i would have got around 50/1 on 47 exact - and was gonna put a 10er on. I just had a feeling.
Sorry! I can do another graph if you want - every other fucker wants me to. 😂

1568522717155.png

The new, improved (?) version. After the Chelsea game, we were 'on course' for a very comfortable 48 points. One game later, we're in 'squeaky bum 38 points' territory. All early days and nothing too much to worry about. Get something at Everton (no more difficult a game than away at FLCFC) and Liverpool will be shitting themselves...

Back
Top Bottom