Changed Allegiances

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really interesting to hear the stories. The undeniable trend seems to be, Once a Blade, always a Blade. It just takes some of us a bit of a journey to get to that point!

My theory is you follow;

1. Where you live or lived; or
2. Who your Dad/Mum followed

So Middle aged Blade and his wife are fine IMO.

Most Man Utd, Liverpool are plastic fans and pothunters.

I live in Leicestershire, born in Sheffield, and my lad (born in Leicestershire) have ST at BDTBL, so I fit my own criteria nicely 😉😉😉😉😉
That’s reassured me that I’m not a fickle fan, waiting to be put straight,…. and could never be accused of being a glory hunter! 🤣🤣

Interesting story and I can relate to an extent. I was born in Sheffield but dad was transferred from the Royal General to the Memorial in Darlington in '75 when I was two, so between '79 & '85 we had season tickets at Ayresome Park, as they were the nearest club to where we lived - Northallerton.

They had some decent players - Craig Johnston, David Armstrong, Irving Nattrass, Jim Platt, David Hodgson, etc. and they played some decent games in that period. It was the height of football violence and my most vivid memories are big clashes with Pompey, Sunderland and Leeds, really nasty scenes. Neither dad nor me had an affinity with the club though, and dad especially yearned for United so gradually we got back to going to Sheffield at the weekends. A certain David Bassett was the man who sucked me into the joys of United.

I'm really disappointed that of all the clubs he could have chosen it's Boro Wilder went to. There's a certain inevitability he'll do well!!
Just saw on your post that you grew up in Northallerton. I’m 20 years older than you, but I was born and bred in Northallerton, so we probably went to the same secondary school. Mum had her house in Grammar School Lane from 1961 to 2019. All my mates were Boro fans but I hated them. I watched Leeds, rather than supported them, as I loved their football (68-71), but never felt comfortable there.

Went to University in Sheffield in 71 and was introduced to the Blades (and Wards) before I went, when I went to the Cardiff 5-1 game. I was immediately infected by the magical support and the people. I lived in Sheffield 71-77 and have lived in the Midlands ever since, but have only ever been a Blade until recently. As I put on another post, I now travel to Sheffield almost every week as I go to all the home games at Club (Sheffield FC) as well as to Bramall Lane, but I think that’s split loyalties that are permitted!

A friend of mine was born in Rochdale and supported them until he swapped to Leeds in their glory days. He then switched allegiance to Man Utd. Despite his still living in Manchester none of our group of friends has really ever thought of him as a true Man Utd supporter.

Just saw on your post that you grew up in Northallerton. I’m 20 years older than you, but I was born and bred in Northallerton, so we probably went to the same secondary school. Mum had her house in Grammar School Lane from 1961 to 2019. All my mates were Boro fans but I hated them. I watched Leeds, rather than supported them, as I loved their football (68-71), but never felt comfortable there.

Went to University in Sheffield in 71 and was introduced to the Blades (and Wards) before I went, when I went to the Cardiff 5-1 game. I was immediately infected by the magical support and the people. I lived in Sheffield 71-77 and have lived in the Midlands ever since, but have only ever been a Blade until recently. As I put on another post, I now travel to Sheffield almost every week as I go to all the home games at Club (Sheffield FC) as well as to Bramall Lane, but I think that’s split loyalties that are permitted!
Grammar School Lane, know it well and having the odd crafty fag during breaks in the sixth form!! Luckily most of my mates were/are Mackems which is why I still have a soft spot for them, used to go to games with them and Sunderland fans are more like us (newcastle like pigs). Boro fans were/are arrogant and a pain back in the day.

Dad went to University there in the late sixties and that's when he got the bug. He mentions the Cardiff game still!!

Great to hear from you, Merry Christmas.

I work with 3 people who were all born & raised in various locations throughout the midlands and south of England. All 3 of them came to Sheffield as students & ended up never going back ‘home’ (a fairly common occurrence tbh).

All 3 of them were football ‘fans’ but neither of them supported their respective local clubs. All 3 of them have been Blades season ticket holders for a number of years after they initially started attending the Lane with discounted student tickets, years ago.

As far as McCabe decision making went, this was a pretty big W.

Grammar School Lane, know it well and having the odd crafty fag during breaks in the sixth form!! Luckily most of my mates were/are Mackems which is why I still have a soft spot for them, used to go to games with them and Sunderland fans are more like us (newcastle like pigs). Boro fans were/are arrogant and a pain back in the day.

Dad went to University there in the late sixties and that's when he got the bug. He mentions the Cardiff game still!!

Great to hear from you, Merry Christmas.
We used to do cross countries up Hutchinson Drive, opposite Mum’s, up Sandy Bank, around a few ploughed fields and back. My mate and I always dropped off the back, nipped into Mum’s for a coffee and then tagged on the back when they came back down. Sadly, on one occasion we saw a group disappearing back to school, thought it was the last few and jogged out. We came in 4th and 5th and got put in the North Yorkshire trials at the Allertonshire! We came a bad last there!!

Ex's dad used to follow the local side where ever he lived. Born in Huddersfield and watched them, followed Leeds in his teens when he moved there. Went to Liverpool for Uni and went to Goodison Park. Later moved to Cleethorpes and supported Grimsby before settling in Sheffield in the 80s and chose United as his side. Still goes today despite now being in a wheelchair.

I could never really get my head around it but as we've seen with the pandemic following your team via radio/tv/newspaper isn't a substitute for watching live football week in week out.

My parents weren't football fans and very nearly got swept up in Wednesday's short lived success in 91/92ish along with most at my primary school, quickly decided they were supported by nobheads and preferred United as the underdogs along with a better kit and badge.

There's a bit of a pattern here. But my Dad has a similar story to some of the posters above. He was born into a Wednesday supporting family, pretty sure he went to Hillsborough before BDTBL, not sure if he was ever a fan, but he said he couldn't not be United after visiting Bramall Lane with mates for the first time. There must have been something that differentiates the clubs as this seems all so familiar, not just from what's been mentioned here? Pretty sure they'll be Wednesday fans with similar stories - but I've never met a Wednesday fan who was one of us before, unless you count a kid in my nursery who 'supported' us, but has a season ticket with them now.

In a way

My dad and his 3 brothers were Owls and as a kid they took me to Hillsboro - my dad bought me Weds shirts ( first one i remember was the Full blue with white sleeves - 1969)

I never really felt the inner light - I can say that because my uncle (mums brother) was a blade and took me to watch my first Utd game v Bristol City / Sept 1970. As soon as I walked up to the ground it just felt different . I became infected with whatever grabs our souls and Utd became my club for life from that very day .

Dad was ok about it and never lost his passion for weds

There were some interesting times . Dad was the only owl in the village to go to the pub the day we went up and they went down - he went out with me and my mates to celebrate , he was crestfallen but took it like a man

Does this count ?
I was born + grew up till 15 just off Herries Road where you could hear the crowd from the pigsty + though my Dad & his Dad were Blades , my Uncle took me to the sty regularly when I was say 8-11 in a campaign of persuasion but I just never felt at ease there - despite it being a World Cup ground in '66 + tbh a palace compared to the 3-sided Lane ...
But there's just something about the Lane which is so lovable.

I was born bang In ter middle of sheff Rotherham Barnsley and donny went to Barnsley first then rotherham and donny
Then found myself in kop at lane and never looked back
40 yrs now ....

Great thread and some cracking stories.

I know a Blade who lives in Richmond, North Yorkshire but if I remember right he was from Darlington originally and grew up watching them and Newcastle.

I can't recall how he became a Blade (I've got in the back of my mind it was to do with Darlington '82) but he always says there's something almost spiritual about going to the Lane, which concurs with what a few of yous have put.

Get ready for the most boring read yet…
my dad took me to my 1st match when I was about 8 I think. Think it was during the power cuts. 72-3/? West Ham 3-0 win?
he was always a blade
my brother was a blade
i’ve never lived more than 3 miles from BDBTL in my whole life
no allegiance and will never have an allegiance to any other club

I grew up in Worksop. May older brother was a blades fan, and my dad, who was a bit of a cunt, always followed Arsenal.
As soon as I left primary school and got my big boy pants, I was allowed to travel on the coach alternate weekends to Bramall lane.
Three sided ground or not, it was my fate sealed in the 1960s.
At 17 I was working down the Wicker at Bentley Bros Vauxhall dealers and I would volunteer for Satdi morning shifts if Blades were at home. The old Ist division days under John Harris were the glory days for me.
Fast forward to our relegation season, me married on a romantic Rhine River cruise at the end of the season. Glued to short wave radio listening to us survive and then get relegated in the space of a few minutes.
I joined up in 1975 and never forgot where I came from. After 22 years we moved back to South Yorkshire and my three sons were introduced to The Lane. Coincidentally v PNE in the old 3rd division?
In 2001 we settled in S14 and my 3 sons are all United fans and two of them have season tickets at the lane.
I am now divorced and living in Indonesia, but the time difference and maintenance payments mean I can only have Radio Sheffield keep me in touch with my beloved blades. :)

I grew up in Worksop. May older brother was a blades fan, and my dad, who was a bit of a cunt, always followed Arsenal.
As soon as I left primary school and got my big boy pants, I was allowed to travel on the coach alternate weekends to Bramall lane.
At 17 I was working down the Wicker at Bentley Bros Vauxhall dealers and I would volunteer for Satdi morning shifts if Blades were at home. The old Ist division days under John Harris were the glory days for me.
Fast forward to our relegation season, me married on a romantic Rhine River cruise at the end of the season. Glued to short wave radio listening to us survive and then get relegated in the space of a few minutes.
I joined up in 1975 and never forgot where I came from. After 22 years we moved back to South Yorkshire and my three sons were introduced to The Lane. Coincidentally v PNE in the old 3rd division?
In 2001 we settled in S14 and my 3 sons are all United fans and two of them have season tickets at the lane.
I am now divorced and living in Indonesia, but the time difference and maintenance payments mean I can only have Radio Sheffield keep me in touch with my beloved blades. :)
That is a great story!

Are there any teams in Indonesia to go and watch?

I was born in 1950 and my first home was on Shoreham Street.

My first blades match was 1959 and despite moving to Leeds in 1969 to go to teacher training college and having lived in Leeds ever since (except for a couple of years in Silsden and 2 years in Glastonbury), I never, ever thought of following the Dirties.

Living in North Leeds I have formed an attachment to Harrogate Town and had a season ticket for their first ever season in the Conference, but I'm still a Blade and have had a season ticket for decades.

My current wife is a Leeds fan but my first wife was a Manc fan and as her parents were season ticket holders, I'd have my mum-in-laws ticket and go with my father in law. Saw quite a few games in the late 70s and early 80s at Maine road.

i have 2 daughters and i have done my level best to make sure neither of them are interested in football! To be fair my youngest has been a couple of times when she was younger but i really don't want either going through the wasted money, time and heartache i have suffered.
I have finally lost interest to a large degree and probably won't bother going again. Football has lost it's appeal with the ridiculous money involved and the players seem to think they are superior to us mere mortals with their attitude to life.
Christ, all they are skilled at is kicking a bloody ball around a field!
Well that is a load off my chest....Merry Christmas all 😄
Good god, I’m with you there brother.

That is a great story!

Are there any teams in Indonesia to go and watch?
I watched a couple of games on telly when I lived there, standard is around League One level. Fans are lively, couple of people I knew said it can get pretty rough.

I wonder if theyll ever make it to the world cup again, last time was in '38.

Get yourself a Firestick and an IPTV sub mate 😉

I used follow a lad on Twitter who is originally from Wythenshaw, Manchester and he moved to Sheffield(4th biggest city)in the country and decided to support Wednesday. He is a bit of a hard bastard, will take on anyone, prison rules, drinks in the Big Gun and has done a bit of bird.

I used follow a lad on Twitter who is originally from Wythenshaw, Manchester and he moved to Sheffield(4th biggest city)in the country and decided to support Wednesday. He is a bit of a hard bastard, will take on anyone, prison rules, drinks in the Big Gun and has done a bit of bird.
Never been in the Big Gun and never likely to now! Hopefully will never meet him in a dark alley either, although shouldn’t jump to conclusions. He’s probably a lovely lad, just misunderstood.

A friend of mine was born in Rochdale and supported them until he swapped to Leeds in their glory days. He then switched allegiance to Man Utd. Despite his still living in Manchester none of our group of friends has really ever thought of him as a true Man Utd supporter.
He certainly is not.

I was born in 1950 and my first home was on Shoreham Street.

My first blades match was 1959 and despite moving to Leeds in 1969 to go to teacher training college and having lived in Leeds ever since (except for a couple of years in Silsden and 2 years in Glastonbury), I never, ever thought of following the Dirties.

Living in North Leeds I have formed an attachment to Harrogate Town and had a season ticket for their first ever season in the Conference, but I'm still a Blade and have had a season ticket for decades.

My current wife is a Leeds fan but my first wife was a Manc fan and as her parents were season ticket holders, I'd have my mum-in-laws ticket and go with my father in law. Saw quite a few games in the late 70s and early 80s at Maine road.
I just don't know how you can live with a Leeds fan

Back
Top Bottom