Changed Allegiances

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
During this period of ‘mid-season break’, I got thinking of watching football as a kid and now.

I was brought up in Teeside and I followed Boro, watching them on a Saturday at Ayresome Park. Those were the days of Graeme Souness, Tony Mowbray, Gary Pallister through to Bryan Robson, Juninho and Ravanelli.

In the late nineties, I moved to Sheffield with my wife, had kids and have been here ever since. We thankfully came to live in the right red) side of Sheffield and the kids started to support United.

We went to games with them and became hooked, through the trials of promotion to the Premier League to the downward spiral to League 1 and back up again.

Our kids no longer go, but the lovely Mrs Middle Aged Blade and I relish our season ticket.
It seems that I have spent half my life here and now consider myself a Blade.

I always keep one eye on how Boro are doing. New Year’s Day will be a strange one, for many reasons other than what I’ve already said. I’m sure there will be another thread about that!

Has anyone else been on a similar journey?

During this period of ‘mid-season break’, I got thinking of watching football as a kid and now.

I was brought up in Teeside and I followed Boro, watching them on a Saturday at Ayresome Park. Those were the days of Graeme Souness, Tony Mowbray, Gary Pallister through to Bryan Robson, Juninho and Ravanelli.

In the late nineties, I moved to Sheffield with my wife, had kids and have been here ever since. We thankfully came to live in the right red) side of Sheffield and the kids started to support United.

We went to games with them and became hooked, through the trials of promotion to the Premier League to the downward spiral to League 1 and back up again.

Our kids no longer go, but the lovely Mrs Middle Aged Blade and I relish our season ticket.

I always keep one eye on how Boro are doing. New Year’s Day will be a strange one, for many reasons other than what I’ve already said. I’m sure there will be another thread about that!

Living down south these days, with young kids, I can see how it would happen. Thankfully though, this isn't a hotbed of football down here so the kids won't be asking to go to any local matches. The only risk is that schoolmates try to persuade them to support Chelsea or Liverpool, and as I won't let that happen, I'll be forcing the kids to support United, even though it means we won't make it to as many matches as I'd like.

Living down south these days, with young kids, I can see how it would happen. Thankfully though, this isn't a hotbed of football down here so the kids won't be asking to go to any local matches. The only risk is that schoolmates try to persuade them to support Chelsea or Liverpool, and as I won't let that happen, I'll be forcing the kids to support United, even though it means we won't make it to as many matches as I'd like.

Nowt wrong wi Twerton Park 😊

I moved darn sarf in 1974. I've supported the Blades since 1958. I have 4 sons all born in Hastings. One supports Spurs, one Liverpool, one Chelsea and one (the youngest) is a blade. I never forced it on him, I took them all to the lane every time I visited Sheffield (about 2 or 3 times a year) only the young 'un took up the chalice. They say you should never have a favourite child, and I don't. It's just that every time the Blades win, we have a moment of joy together, that the other three will just never understand, or enjoy, and I feel sorry for them because of that.
UTB

To tell you the truth i change allegiance every match...

sometimes i support brilliant Blades
sometimes fucking awful Blades
sometimes typical Blades
sometimes marvelous Blades
sometimes what the fuck were we doing at the back Blades

deep down i love `em all

Having started watching United in the late 50s we moved to Nottingham and I began watching a superb Forest team in the 60s.
Great though it was to have Joe Baker as a neighbour and to see such lovely football, it never captured that feeling that I had as I climbed the steps to the top of the Kop and saw the pitch down below.
Three years in Exeter has left me with different, but again lovely, memories and a very small part of that club’s ownership.
Once I finished playing there was no affinity to Forest and I resumed the ride on the rollercoaster that is the Blades, revelling in that wonderful play off semi final.
Did I change allegiance ? No, not deep down, which is why I still make the trek to many games and get stuck in a snowy city centre a few Sunday’s ago trying to get back to Halfway !!!

No. I have lived in this region properly since 1983 but have never felt the need to go and cheer Pompey or Gosport Borough on. I follow them in the local press, and would like Pompey to get back into the Championship (so I can have an away day at Fratton) but frankly I couldn't give much of a fat fuck for the plastic cockney cunts.

pommpey

I was a Liverpool fan as a young school kid, went to the Liverpool blades game where we lost 3 1, the game where rush injured Simon Tracey and Pemberton went in nets, sat near a load of scouse cunts in the south stand and changed allegiance during that game been 100% blade ever since

I moved darn sarf in 1974. I've supported the Blades since 1958. I have 4 sons all born in Hastings. One supports Spurs, one Liverpool, one Chelsea and one (the youngest) is a blade. I never forced it on him, I took them all to the lane every time I visited Sheffield (about 2 or 3 times a year) only the young 'un took up the chalice. They say you should never have a favourite child, and I don't. It's just that every time the Blades win, we have a moment of joy together, that the other three will just never understand, or enjoy, and I feel sorry for them because of that.
UTB
Liverpool supporter from Hastings! That's definitely a no no! Glory hunter springs to mind 😂

In a way

My dad and his 3 brothers were Owls and as a kid they took me to Hillsboro - my dad bought me Weds shirts ( first one i remember was the Full blue with white sleeves - 1969)

I never really felt the inner light - I can say that because my uncle (mums brother) was a blade and took me to watch my first Utd game v Bristol City / Sept 1970. As soon as I walked up to the ground it just felt different . I became infected with whatever grabs our souls and Utd became my club for life from that very day .

Dad was ok about it and never lost his passion for weds

There were some interesting times . Dad was the only owl in the village to go to the pub the day we went up and they went down - he went out with me and my mates to celebrate , he was crestfallen but took it like a man

Does this count ?

I was strictly a Sheffield Wednesday fan, until 2 years ago when United got promoted to the premiership.

I'm a Leeds supporter now, but might change my mind if Sheffield United make the premiership again this season.

Big up the Tim curry, and dame Whitehouse.

I’ve lived in Sheffield til I was 8 and have lived in Bristol ever since. I still follow the blades first but adopted Bristol Rovers as my second team when I moved down here. I like following two teams. It keeps things interesting when one team is doing badly. Sadly last season both teams were shit but hopefully this season will be the opposite. There is still time for both clubs to achieve something. Plus the gas have couttsy as captain and Leon Clarke on the books as well two ex blade promotion legends.

I was brought up in the Harrogate area at the time when Leeds were coming good in the early 60s so it was only natural to follow Leeds. When I moved to Sheffield Uni in 1971 I was on the same corridor as a United fan and I went to Bramall Lane on many occasions when I couldn't get to Leeds games. The only time I was hit by anything was when the Leeds (increasingly yobbish) fans took over the back of the kop in an early 70s game. Fortunately it was only a can which was empty by the time it hit me!

I continued watching Leeds until December 79 when I moved away to live in Orkney. I had been getting increasingly fed up of the hostile atmosphere at Elland Road (between home fans) and when I came back to South Yorkshire in 1986 and went to the first game of the season. the hostility was even worse and I never set foot inside the place again until the early 2000s when we beat them 4-0. It was pretty hostile after that match as well and I remember walking through a gauntlet of hooligans on the way up to Beeston.

From 1986, I gradually started to watch United games and have had a season ticket since the mid 90s. I still go to games with the friend who introduced me to Bramall Lane in the first place!

Left Sheffield to work in the south in the early 80’s Son born in 1998 has never lived within a hundred miles of Sheffield but he has been a season ticket holder from 1995 and now does more games than me . Through many difficult times it has united us I have no doubt his children will be blades

I once supported Luton Town for one match.

Though that was because I took a mate of mine who was na Owl to see is play Norwich (won 1-0) at the Lane and he repaid the favour when they were home to Luton.

I soon switched back though the following week 😉

My dad took me to see Tony Currie at Leeds a couple of times in the mid 70s when I was a young un, then went with mates who were Leeds fans two or three times in the 80s. Can't say I hate them as much as some of our fans but would still like to see them get relegated this season.

Been to see Rotherham a few times over the years and saw the great Brian Deane rip them apart in a cup game for Donny at Millmoor back in the 80s. Couldn't believe it a few months later when we signed him for next to nothing, a steal at £30k. I do like to see the Millers do well and especially enjoy the way they get under the skins of their big rivals over at S6.

Saw a few Sunderland games at Roker when I was student up there in the mid 90s. The first season they were useless and would have gone down until Peter Reid took over. His first game a 1-0 win over us, with a late goal at a very wind swept Roker (when was it not!). I took great pleasure in seeing the Mackems lose, however that didn't happen very often the season after as they went up as Champions.

In recent times, with my bird being a Luton fan, I've been to see them a few times, funnily enough had a cracking weekend at the Boro just before the first lockdown. Luton won 1-0, with two former Blades in their ranks, Carter-Vickers and Cranie, as the Hatters had a great escape of Basset proportions.

Had a few dalliances away from the Lane over the years but I know where my heart is, first and foremost always a Blade.

My theory is you follow;

1. Where you live or lived; or
2. Who your Dad/Mum followed

So Middle aged Blade and his wife are fine IMO.

Most Man Utd, Liverpool are plastic fans and pothunters.

I live in Leicestershire, born in Sheffield, and my lad (born in Leicestershire) have ST at BDTBL, so I fit my own criteria nicely 😉😉😉😉😉

Back
Top Bottom