Changed Allegiances

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’ve lived all over the country and watched local football wherever I’ve been, eg. Ipshite, Oldham, but never « supported » em

I’ve lived all over the country and watched local football wherever I’ve been, eg. Ipshite, Oldham, but never « supported » em
I took my brother to Moenchengladbach game once when I was living and working over there. I think he just wanted a taste of how the Germans did things.
I also got tickets for the Forest Mamo game in 1979 in Munich. Don’t think that counts as a change in allegiance though?

I was just in a daft mood mate. For what it’s worth my story to this thread.

Born and bred in Sheffield. Dad was a mad blade, started taking me as soon as I knew what football was, had all the kits, all the programmes as a young lad, lived and breathed United and still do.

No interest whatsoever in any other team either domestically or nationally never had done, never will do. Blades for life x

I was just in a daft mood mate. For what it’s worth my story to this thread.

Born and bred in Sheffield. Dad was a mad blade, started taking me as soon as I knew what football was, had all the kits, all the programmes as a young lad, lived and breathed United and still do.

No interest whatsoever in any other team either domestically or nationally never had done, never will do. Blades for life x
I'm not from a football family. I started going to the Lane at secondary school with mates and got hooked on the atmosphere.

I would always follow United, but if I moved and was going to the local team with my kids, I'd end up being a supporter of them too, but in a different way.
Like he says, when the day comes of them playing each other. Another matter.

I was brought up in Stocksbridge,dad was a Barnsley fellah and took me to watch the dingles every home match,you could walk round the ground then through the long wooden stand onto the pit face end. All changed when he took me to the shrine 1970ish just before the promotion season,the crowd,the noise and passion made the hairs on your neck stand up,he loved it even though he still went to support Barnsley,came with me many times after that. Always disliked the scrubbers from the rust bucket,even dad thought the Lane was a special place and couldn’t believe the noise when we were doing well

Next one over from Bellhouse.
Two of my cousins live in Bellhouse Road. My uncle still lives in Hartley Brook Road (my mum lived there with her family from 1932 until she got married in 1961 and she had her 93rd birthday celebration there last summer)

Never been in the Big Gun and never likely to now! Hopefully will never meet him in a dark alley either, although shouldn’t jump to conclusions. He’s probably a lovely lad, just misunderstood.
Bit of an in joke, Zipwire is referring to media personality, star of Football Heaven, legend in his own mind and occasional off licence wealth redistributor, Mark the Pitsmoor Pig.

Misunderstood? Possibly, although I feel I understand him as well as I need to.

I've lived in Spain for 13 years now and go and watch Elche now when I can but like men and sex. I think about. United every 8 seconds.
I've tried several times to kick the habit but they don't do a patch for it.
I know it's bad for my health and mental well being but there it is

The only other thing I can't kick from home are wagon wheels and Iceland being here doesn't help

I’m Mrs Middle Aged Blade and have just noticed this thread. I don’t see a problem with the change of allegiance as my husband only ever followed Boro as his local team. He grew up there. He was never that in to the football. His brother is a different matter…. Highlight of my week is the family walk down to Bramall Lane via the pub and I’m very grateful I have a husband who’s willing to accompany me. He’s a die hard fan. But no where near as knowledgeable as me. 😂

I was strictly a Sheffield Wednesday fan, until 2 years ago when United got promoted to the premiership.

I'm a Leeds supporter now, but might change my mind if Sheffield United make the premiership again this season.

Big up the Tim curry, and dame Whitehouse.

Wait until you hear about Hulk Hagan pal

Grew up in North Wales at a time when everyone supported Liverpool, Everton, or Man U. I liked the Liverpool kits the most (Candy) so I supported them. Me Dad would drive us to Anfield every now and again, and a few away games.

One day, my Dad said, how about we go and watch a Sheff Utd match this weekend, and I said alright and we drove to Stoke to watch Tony Agana cross one in for a Brian Deane diving header. It was so much fun in the away end, team was so likable, and we had such great momentum. I instantly realized my blood was red and white, and we went to most of the remaining Blades games at home that season (driving from Wales) and a few away ones, including Leicester promotion party.

Moved to Sheff that summer, and had season tickets for the new season. First few games I’d still wear a Liverpool shirt under my United one, but after a few weeks it was all about dem Blades.

Now I’m in Japan. Hoping my little one will be a Blade, but also hoping we can follow a Japanese team, so we can go and get the match day experience. Still weighing up the pros and cons of teams nearest us.

And, er, that’s the end of my story.

My theory is you follow;

1. Where you live or lived; or
2. Who your Dad/Mum followed

So Middle aged Blade and his wife are fine IMO.

Most Man Utd, Liverpool are plastic fans and pothunters.

I live in Leicestershire, born in Sheffield, and my lad (born in Leicestershire) have ST at BDTBL, so I fit my own criteria nicely 😉😉😉😉😉
I absolutely LOVE that my mates from over the years (Scunthorpe, Northampton, Poole, Peterborough...) who growing up nailed their colours to the mast as Man United fans (glory hunters, barely go to OT) during the best of times are now having their loyalty well and truly tested in these years when they are properly shite.

When you got relegated last season I started supporting Brentford.

My general rule is to support which ever red and white striped team plays in the premier league. The Stoke years were pretty boring after Sunderland.

Supporting striped teams is always more exciting, because they're all shite.

Anyway, see you next year hopefully.

Grew up in North Wales at a time when everyone supported Liverpool, Everton, or Man U. I liked the Liverpool kits the most (Candy) so I supported them. Me Dad would drive us to Anfield every now and again, and a few away games.

One day, my Dad said, how about we go and watch a Sheff Utd match this weekend, and I said alright and we drove to Stoke to watch Tony Agana cross one in for a Brian Deane diving header. It was so much fun in the away end, team was so likable, and we had such great momentum. I instantly realized my blood was red and white, and we went to most of the remaining Blades games at home that season (driving from Wales) and a few away ones, including Leicester promotion party.

Moved to Sheff that summer, and had season tickets for the new season. First few games I’d still wear a Liverpool shirt under my United one, but after a few weeks it was all about dem Blades.

Now I’m in Japan. Hoping my little one will be a Blade, but also hoping we can follow a Japanese team, so we can go and get the match day experience. Still weighing up the pros and cons of teams nearest us.

What a great first match to choose, still one of my best away days simply for the atmosphere and such an awesome late goal.

If only that had been in front of the away end.

What a good old ground that was too.

Didn’t the stoke goalkeeper have a blinder that day. Was it fox?

I absolutely LOVE that my mates from over the years (Scunthorpe, Northampton, Poole, Peterborough...) who growing up nailed their colours to the mast as Man United fans (glory hunters, barely go to OT) during the best of times are now having their loyalty well and truly tested in these years when they are properly shite.
Having been a blade for 50 years I abs a lot of others know what real shite looks like - but it’s our shite an we will never swop it - moan and groan about it —squabble on here about pepper in fly shit topics - but never swap it

Two of my cousins live in Bellhouse Road. My uncle still lives in Hartley Brook Road (my mum lived there with her family from 1932 until she got married in 1961 and she had her 93rd birthday celebration there last summer)
My Dad was born on 8 May 1925 in 252 Sicey Avenue. His Dad had a ticket for the 1925 FA Cup Final but didn't go as the birth of his only son took priority. My Grandad was a keen Blade + brought my Dad up the same , despite living in a Piggy estate. Later they moved to 25 Fircroft Avenue , where I loved visiting my Grandparents. My Dad & Mum set up home just off Herries Road + I went to Longley school in Southey Green which was almost totally blue & white. So I was always a lone Blade until going to High Storrs in 1969. But then came 70/71 , amongst Blades at school , which was just brilliant.
I went to Uni in Brum but always returned to the Lane , then to London which made it more difficult. There came a point where I had the choice of 3 jobs , Paris , London or Cheshire so I chose the latter coz it was nearer the Lane.
My lad was born in Sale , Cheshire (technically Trafford + effectively South Manchester).
He came to the Lane with me but then from 11 started playing sports at a high level , which I saw as a far more healthy passion than supporting a football club , so the family tradition is broken.
He's 27 + lived abroad these last 4 years.
I'm glad he isn't obsessed with a football club like me.
I came from a modest 1960s childhood and following the Blades gave me a passion + opportunities (eg working at the ground for 7 years) which I wouldn't otherwise have had. My connection to the Lane is immutable.
My lad comes from a middle class childhood in another city in which he's so many opportunities for recreation that attending matches + getting obsessed with a football club as a supporter were never going to be as fulfilling as playing Water Polo for Great Britain

My Dad was born on 8 May 1925 in 252 Sicey Avenue. His Dad had a ticket for the 1925 FA Cup Final but didn't go as the birth of his only son took priority. My Grandad was a keen Blade + brought my Dad up the same , despite living in a Piggy estate.
Yes, all my mum's 6 brothers (two still alive) were Wendy fans, two of them were regulars at S6.

Yes Peter Fox who made his debut for Wendy's 1st team aged 15.

View attachment 126968
Incredible Silent Blade and thank you, I had no idea he played for Wednesday, can’t remember if he got abuse that day or not.

I vaguely remember Wednesday lost that day because as we were leaving they kept repeating the score as the bloke reading them was amused by our reaction!!

I think more common is the adoption of 'secondary allegiances' - if someone moves somewhere, maybe adopts a local side, takes in their matches, ends up feeling a sense of connection to the local community, boozing with the lifelong fans etc. You don't lose your first love for your side, you just adopt another...

I think more common is the adoption of 'secondary allegiances' - if someone moves somewhere, maybe adopts a local side, takes in their matches, ends up feeling a sense of connection to the local community, boozing with the lifelong fans etc. You don't lose your first love for your side, you just adopt another...
….or maybe the allegiance to the first side wasn’t that strong in the first place?
I certainly feel it more now at BDTBL. Maybe because I’m older and wiser, maybe because of the fact I can walk to the ground or maybe just because….

Out of interest why did your dad decide to go to a Blades match, while based in North Wales ?

I was genuinely brought up as an owl.

My dad and his family are all Wednesday fans. He bought me the kits and all sorts. However my mother and her dad are Blades and I spent a lot of time with my Grandad when I was a child and eventually gravitated towards United. There are still photos somewhere of under 10 year old me with Kevin Pressman at Suggs Sports (I think?) When he opened it with the orange away Wednesday shirt that he signed.

My word.

….or maybe the allegiance to the first side wasn’t that strong in the first place?
I certainly feel it more now at BDTBL. Maybe because I’m older and wiser, maybe because of the fact I can walk to the ground or maybe just because….
I've got allegiances to several teams. Started with Liverpool, then Lincoln City, dabbled with Wednesday, got hooked by the Blades, followed Barca for a few years, have held a season ticket for 15 years with Bohemians Praha, have connections to Celtic and St Johnstone, and show a passing interest in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Southampton, West Ham, Stirling Albion, Wimbledon, St Pauli and also, the most puzzling one for me, Osasuna.

That last one only came about from going to Barca games and asking my mate whether all fans in Spain were so shit. He said the Osasuna fans were good.

Back
Top Bottom