Burke to millwall

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nice way to piss up the wall another 6m, to add to the 5m on Freeman and the 10m loss on Mousset, not to mention the 20m imminent loss on McBurnie.

It's going to take a heck of a lot of Ramsdales to address what is already going to be a 41m trading loss on 5 players.
Is that including selling Ramsdale for £800,000?

To be fair to Mousset, I'm not sure that was such a bad investment. He was a major contributor in earning the club another 150m or so. Its frustrating we didn't get anything else out of him the next two seasons and he left on a free, but I don't that money was nearly as poorly spent as the McBurnie, Freeman, Robinson/Burke money.

I suppose McBurnie still has a chance to earn his keep by scoring 25 goals and firing us to the PL next season - however unlikely that scenario is.

To be fair to Mousset, I'm not sure that was such a bad investment. He was a major contributor in earning the club another 150m or so. Its frustrating we didn't get anything else out of him the next two seasons and he left on a free, but I don't that money was nearly as poorly spent as the McBurnie, Freeman, Robinson/Burke money.
McBurnie scored more Premier League goals for us (and won a lot more headers).

Another disastrous deal from the archives of Wilder's Premier League recruitment.

Buys Robinson for 6-7m.
Plays him in a position that doesn't suit him
Swaps him for Burke and around 1m, raring Burke at 5-6m
Club happy to offload Burke to save his wages

Nice way to piss up the wall another 6m, to add to the 5m on Freeman and the 10m loss on Mousset, not to mention the 20m imminent loss on McBurnie.

It's going to take a heck of a lot of Ramsdales to address what is already going to be a 41m trading loss on 5 players.
How much did Wilder earn for us though?

McBurnie scored more Premier League goals for us (and won a lot more headers).
You're right. A quick review and Mousset scored in games earning us 12pts, and McBurnie scored in games earning us 13pts. Moose got 4 assists to McBurnie's 0, but McBurnie played nearly twice as many minutes. I therefore stand corrected, and I think there is a perception/reality situation here. Mousset is just more impressive when he's playing well, but McBurnie probably contributed as much in that season both helping us earn a lot of money.

In that context the fee spent on him (approx. double Moose) isn't a disaster but still probably not as good. If he can play a part in a promotion season next year earning us another 150m, maybe he goes down as a net contributor to the club even with the large fee.

You're right. A quick review and Mousset scored in games earning us 12pts, and McBurnie scored in games earning us 13pts. Moose got 4 assists to McBurnie's 0, but McBurnie played nearly twice as many minutes. I therefore stand corrected, and I think there is a perception/reality situation here. Mousset is just more impressive when he's playing well, but McBurnie probably contributed as much in that season both helping us earn a lot of money.
Wasn't McB top of the PL list for headers won? He definitely made more defensive clearances than the Moose;)

Last 2 season's form make complete sense to let him go 👍
I find it easy to agree this.

But having watched Doctor Strange of late I do wonder if there is any version where Burke does well for us!

Maybe there is one!

In his defence, when has he ever played wide right for us?

Looking at Transfermarkt as the source, they say he's played right wing for us twice which is probably not far off. He played left wing once, against Southampton and the rest as a centre forward. So he's probably played 90-95% of his games with us out of position playing centre forward.

He spent around 98% of his combined early time at Forest and on loan to Bradford playing on the wing. He spent more than 80% of his time at Alaves and Leipzig out wide and 75% of his time at West Brom out wide.

It's only us and Celtic (and let's face it, he could probably get away with it up there in what was a one team league), that decided to play him in an unfamiliar role.

If we did lose Sander for instance, who was doing a lot of good on the right of a three, is this not the absolute ideal spot for Burke if we did play 3-4-3(or 3-4-2-1)?

I appreciate Berge can also be seen to be playing as a 10 in a 3-4-1-2 and Burke probably doesn't have the football intelligence to do that but if needs must, you could get something out of Burke asking him to play the role he's played in the vast majority of his career.

He'll probably look back on his time with us with frustration. Position aside, he hit the post against Birmingham on the opening day and could have been the hero. How the narrative may have changed if luck was on his side that day.

Tin hat now firmly in place! 😁

Last edited:
Apparently Millwall are in talks with us to sign Burke.
I mean what are they on they have already seen him play, but good on them.
Burke is a decent finishing coach away from the PL.

He has absolutel raw pace and strength. He can run past players with ease and get in behind. Burke's problem is that his crossing and finishing is awful. This can quite easily be worked on, with some disciplined training.

For me, Burke has much more potential than Callum Robinson ever had.

One day Burke will find a perfect fit at a team. It will click for him and he'll perform brilliantly.

There is a player in there totally agree, but were do we place him. Let's be honesty not only as he been in the last chance saloon, he has also been in the snug too 🤔

I wonder if he can play the Berge role. i‘m sure he started odd off as an attacking midfielder

I wonder if he can play the Berge role. i‘m sure he started odd off as an attacking midfielder
I don't see why he can't play the right of an attacking three.

I take robbiez666 point, but you play the percentages. As mattbianco1 says, he's got so much pace and strength that he can pretty much beat the fullback at this level every time. A slight improvement in distribution to the right areas and we have the forwards to work with this. It's not as if Sharp always needs it on a plate. He's scored goals which haven't even looked like chances.

He's not my plan A, but you have to get the best from all your resources. If he ends up being one of them there is a way to use him better than we have so far. As we know, most defences shit themselves when faced with pace so there are worse attributes to have.

Not trying to convince anyone he's the ideal solution. But his attitude on the pitch is good, he works hard and It just feels that there is more there than we have seen, partly due to the way he has been managed and where he's been asked to play.

To offer the opposite scenario - how would we be judging Billy by now if he'd been asked to spend his time with us on the wing rather than up front? It just seems harsh to judge a winger by his ability to play centre forward just because the management were not capable of finding a central striker who had pace.

He has speed and athleticism that you cannot teach. He can't pass or shoot but you can teach that. For me it comes down to his personality and the team fit. If he spent more time posting photos on his social media about him training rather than dressing up, I would lean towards keeping him - but that's not the case. Good luck at Millwall I say.

Not for me - I just can't see how he'd fit into Utd's formation and even more so their style of play. I'm afraid he makes too many bad decisions that resulted in attacks breaking down and/or losing possession (including running the ball out of play what felt like almost every time he had the ball.

The only formations I could see him fitting into would be as a right sided forward in a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 or potentially wide right in a 4-4-2 but his limitations would still show. IMHO he's miles away from being good or intelligent enough to play as a #10.

If Utd can get him off the wage bill and even recoup a fraction of what he cost, I think it would be best outcome all round.

Burke is a decent finishing coach away from the PL.

The issue is that five elite clubs* have now attempted to align technical and tactical acumen to Burke's undoubted physical assets. We have to conclude that if they have all failed then the issue is too deep to be rectified. In short he's Oli the Burke, thick as mince. The only way for him from here is down. He'll be playing in League Two within three years.

*Forest, Leipzig, West Brom, Celtic, United.

Another disastrous deal from the archives of Wilder's Premier League recruitment.

Buys Robinson for 6-7m.
Plays him in a position that doesn't suit him
Swaps him for Burke and around 1m, raring Burke at 5-6m
Club happy to offload Burke to save his wages

I don’t think the Covid situation did us any favours. The championship transfer market collapsed. In previous years those players could probably have been sold back to championship clubs, getting back a decent proportion of the initial outlay. Wilder could have probably shifted Freeman and Robinson for cash, without having to sign Burke.

I don’t think the Covid situation did us any favours. The championship transfer market collapsed. In previous years those players could probably have been sold back to championship clubs, getting back a decent proportion of the initial outlay. Wilder could have probably shifted Freeman and Robinson for cash, without having to sign Burke.

Exactly, Championship clubs didn't have the money to spend and even now not many do. Look at some of the free agents knocking about.

He has speed and athleticism that you cannot teach. He can't pass or shoot but you can teach that. For me it comes down to his personality and the team fit. If he spent more time posting photos on his social media about him training rather than dressing up, I would lean towards keeping him - but that's not the case. Good luck at Millwall I say.
Unfortunately passing and shooting at the top level is also a god given talent .

Seen a similar story earlier about Burke to Werder for 4.5m euros but for the life of me I cant find it.

Found a German clickbait one I think, but my German is useless…🤨

Aktuelle Nachrichten

von Davie Gizbreks
Das berühmte Bremer Grün könnte bald von einem neuen Superstar getragen werden?

Werder Bremen wurde mit einem sensationellen Sturz von Sheffield United-Stürmer Oli Burke in Verbindung gebracht.

Es wird angenommen, dass die Gebühr Gegenstand von Verhandlungen zwischen den Parteien ist, wobei der Yorkshire-Club (bekannt für das berühmte Lied von Chip Butty, das eine lokale Utopie von Chips, Bier und Angelmaden beschreibt) rund eine Million Euro bereithält.

Weitere Neuigkeiten folgen...

Back
Top Bottom