Brooks...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

angry that at £12m - it looks like we had our leg lifted...

Yeah but ‘he wasn’t proven’ and ‘they were paying for potential’. He’d done nowt so £12m was actually an incredible deal....

I haven’t seen the highlights but mate of mine couldn’t stop talking about it last night.

We all knew he had summat. But due to the way this club conducts all its business, we have plenty of fans who fall into the ‘sell em for owt’ category. I said at least £15m.

Just watching him batter West Ham on Match of the Day and am confused as to how to feel...

Proud, teary eyed about the player we've lost and angry that at £12m - it looks like we had our leg lifted...
funny reading some bournemouth comments.. ‘we’ve unearthed a gem’ .. 12 million quid isn’t unearthing a gem! :D
glttl

Just watching him batter West Ham on Match of the Day and am confused as to how to feel...

Proud, teary eyed about the player we've lost and angry that at £12m - it looks like we had our leg lifted...

..better than £2 million though eh?

P.S- Like when Wilder came in and given the ownership bollocks, I'm guessing we'd not have been able to buy at the players we have so far without this sale..

He looks absolute quality. Fearless, direct, can see a pass that others don't, great close control, willing to run at his man. All that, and he's only just getting started.

I expect him to continue to grow and have a good top flight career.

Even at £12m we got hugely ripped off.

I reckon he'll establish himself to such a extent that he'll bypass the top dogs in the Prem and go to RM or Barca. Either way the sell-on will keep us in easy street for a couple of years.

I reckon he'll establish himself to such a extent that he'll bypass the top dogs in the Prem and go to RM or Barca. Either way the sell-on will keep us in easy street for a couple of years.

It's certainly not inconceivable. He's going about it in the 'Maguire way' - get games under your belt at somewhere you are likely to play, rather than just jumping at a contract at City or Chelsea. It's very smart. He'll prove his class and then earn that big move as a guaranteed starter - as could Harry.

There is nothing about this deal that doesn't piss me off. Nothing about it is right or acceptable.

We even rushed him out of the door before July. It was absolutely pathetic. The assumption was probably that we wanted to quickly reinvest. But we didn't even do that, and aren't going to, certainly in this window.

Did anyone at United really believe he was only worth £12m? If so, who? If not, then why accept below his value? I don't give a shit if he wanted to leave. He was on a 4 year fucking contract. He would've hardly kicked up a stink.

But by allowing him to leave immediately we've set a precedent for other players, like JOC for example who no doubt feels entitled to a PL move now a bit of interest has come along.

Brooks would've been superb in the Championship this season - if Wilder bothered to play him anyway. He seems more willing to play Woodburn, who on the evidence so far is a pale imitation.... and he's not even ours.

We've done a shitty, shitty piece of business and the sell on clause is the only possible saving grace.

They’ll work on his physicality there. That will take him to the next level.

He doesn’t need to be a brick shithouse but if he knows how to distribute his weight when he’s running with the ball to not get knocked off if by someone stronger (ala Messi) he’ll go to the very top.

He’s got everything else.

He looks like he's doing well and GLTTL, but to try and temper things; if it was so apparent to everyone other than United and some of our fan base how good a player DB was, and how he was worth well over £20m, but could be bought for £12m, then why wasn't he snapped up by someone bigger/better than Bournemouth? With his super Agent doing the business, all of the prem would've known that his client was available. You could name 6 clubs who you would've thought would've snapped our hands off for him, but no one did.

If he was so obviously a good talent, why were we prepared to send him to Chesterfield on loan the previous summer, before he won player of the tournament at Toulon? After which, a £2m bid would've probably got him. There's more scouts at Toulon than supporters for most games, ask @Ball_Sup (Phil)

The only other comparable transfers for more money this close season have been for players with a lot more domestic & international experience than DB, eg. Bissouma, Torreira and Lerma. What is market value? A willing seller and a willing buyer, and that's what we had.

There is nothing about this deal that doesn't piss me off. Nothing about it is right or acceptable.

We even rushed him out of the door before July. It was absolutely pathetic. The assumption was probably that we wanted to quickly reinvest. But we didn't even do that, and aren't going to, certainly in this window.

Did anyone at United really believe he was only worth £12m? If so, who? If not, then why accept below his value? I don't give a shit if he wanted to leave. He was on a 4 year fucking contract. He would've hardly kicked up a stink.

But by allowing him to leave immediately we've set a precedent for other players, like JOC for example who no doubt feels entitled to a PL move now a bit of interest has come along.

Brooks would've been superb in the Championship this season - if Wilder bothered to play him anyway. He seems more willing to play Woodburn, who on the evidence so far is a pale imitation.... and he's not even ours.

We've done a shitty, shitty piece of business and the sell on clause is the only possible saving grace.

Three words:

Grealish Aston Villa...

He looks like he's doing well and GLTTL, but to try and temper things; if it was so apparent to everyone other than United and some of our fan base how good a player DB was, and how he was worth well over £20m, but could be bought for £12m, then why wasn't he snapped up by someone bigger/better than Bournemouth? With his super Agent doing the business, all of the prem would've known that his client was available. You could name 6 clubs who you would've thought would've snapped our hands off for him, but no one did.

If he was so obviously a good talent, why were we prepared to send him to Chesterfield on loan the previous summer, before he won player of the tournament at Toulon? After which, a £2m bid would've probably got him. There's more scouts at Toulon than supporters for most games, ask Ball_Sup (Phil)

The only other comparable transfers for more money this close season have been for players with a lot more domestic & international experience than DB, eg. Bissouma, Torreira and Lerma. What is market value? A willing seller and a willing buyer, and that's what we had.

Willing seller - that's the situation summed up in two words!!

I'm still bitterly disappointed that we let him leave - purely from a selfish point of view he had the potential to our best attacking player in 20 years? 30 years? I wanted to see if it would happen.

He could end up a top 4 player. He could end up Oliver Burke - we gambled he'd be the latter

It's certainly not inconceivable. He's going about it in the 'Maguire way'

the 'Maguire way' and the Brooks way aren't actually their ways at all. If the agent sold Brooks straight from us to say Manchester United or Liverpool they would get 10% (say) of £20M. ...... £2M.

however, if the agent sells them to Bournemouth, he picks up 10% of £12M now, with an all but guaranteed 10% of £40 to £50M in a year or 2 year's time.

that way, his agent pockets £5.2M at least.

the idea that the player thinks playing at lower level Premier League clubs before making the transition to bigger teams will benefit their growth is quaint make-believe.

it's all about their agents maximising their income ........ doh.

you think this piece of work gives a flying shit about anyone but himself?

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 10.19.46.png

that's comedic.

Last edited:

Absolutely spot on, especially that third paragraph - noone at the club could give you a straight answer to that, I'd guess.

He wouldn't have caused a stink, he's a level headed lad. He'd have got on, played, and ripped the championship a new one. Without doubt. For Fulham with Cairney, Boro with Traore, Wolves with Neves, Norwich with Maddison - I think we would have seen that level of contribution from him perhaps.

Oh and the comparisons he gets most often are Woodburn and Ampadu - simply because they are all youngsters who made the Welsh senior squad at a similar time. With those two at Liverpool and Chelsea, and unlikely to get any settled game time, I'd expect him to go on an have a better career than both of them.

Ultimately if we invest the Brooks money in quality players then I can take Brooks leaving. For example, if selling Brooks has bought us Egan and/or Brooks ad possibly another striker (on loan but loan fees can be high plus wages) then I'm OK with Brooks leaving. But of those deals have being done without a need for selling Brooks then obviously its disappointing. We'll never know though will we!

the 'Maguire way' and the Brooks way aren't actually their ways at all. If the agent sold Brooks straight from us to say Manchester United or Liverpool they would get 10% (say) of £20M. ...... £2M.

however, if the agent sells them to Bournemouth, he picks up 10% of £12M now, with an all but guaranteed 10% of £40 to £50M in a year or 2 year's time.

that way, his agent pockets £5.2M at least.

the idea that the player thinks playing at lower level Premier League clubs before making the transition to bigger teams will benefit their growth is quaint make-believe.

it's all about their agents maximising their income ........ doh!

All of that would be very fair and we'll, except for the fact that the Maguire way has all been entirely the Maguire way - his final say, his final decision. So there's no reason why Brooks couldn't do the same.

All of that would be very fair and we'll, except for the fact that the Maguire way has all been entirely the Maguire way - his final say, his final decision. So there's no reason why Brooks couldn't do the same.

have you spoken to him and do you know and trust him about it? I had a chat with Paddy Kenny when he was about to be transfered away from Bramall Lane, he said he didn't know anything about the transfer .... it's just that I didn't believe a word he said .....

why accept below his value?

..because of the ownership bollocks, we needed to get money in for cash flow to buy players/pay wages...'it's the same old song'.

I didn't want us to sell him and the reason I gave on here, was that I felt he'd be worth a hell of a lot more if he stuck with us and got us to the Prem.

However, fans should be clear that Sheffield United FC didn't have much of a choice. He WANTED to go and this isn't the same situation as Beattie for example, or the sale of Deane, Agana and Fjortoft. Those were all cases where we were asset-stripping. The sale of Brooks isn't. There was one reason above all other that he wanted to go...

"Premiership Football"

And that's why, if we want to keep our best players, we have to go all out to get there, because any player who's any good wants to play at that level.

Good luck to Brooks. He's an exceptional talent and I'll enjoy watching him torment Premiership defences because he's definitely good enough.

Yeah but ‘he wasn’t proven’ and ‘they were paying for potential’. He’d done nowt so £12m was actually an incredible deal....

I haven’t seen the highlights but mate of mine couldn’t stop talking about it last night.

We all knew he had summat. But due to the way this club conducts all its business, we have plenty of fans who fall into the ‘sell em for owt’ category. I said at least £15m.

No one offered £15m though and the £12m we received will plug the losses for a year or so. Easy to say we should have held out for more when it's not your company and cash at stake but if £12m was the offer after a negotiation then who would turn it down?

Back
Top Bottom