Brooks...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All of that would be very fair and we'll, except for the fact that the Maguire way has all been entirely the Maguire way - his final say, his final decision. So there's no reason why Brooks couldn't do the same.

I also thought that HM was advised by members of his close family. That might not be the case now, but I think it was in the early part of his career.

Ultimately if we invest the Brooks money in quality players then I can take Brooks leaving. For example, if selling Brooks has bought us Egan and/or Brooks ad possibly another striker (on loan but loan fees can be high plus wages) then I'm OK with Brooks leaving. But of those deals have being done without a need for selling Brooks then obviously its disappointing. We'll never know though will we!

If we would've signed Luke Freeman and Adam Armstrong my complaints would've been much quieter. But we didn't, and we aren't going to. But at least we've got Woodburn for the season! And McGoldrick.

Absolutely textbook.

have you spoken to him and do you know and trust him about it? I had a chat with Paddy Kenny when he was about to be transfered away from Bramall Lane, he said he didn't know anything about the transfer .... it's just that I didn't believe a word he said .....

Yes mate, our families are old friends.

Each move up to now, by design - and that includes the big moves that he turned down but were never reported, again by design.

If we would've signed Luke Freeman and Adam Armstrong my complaints would've been much quieter. But we didn't, and we aren't going to. But at least we've got Woodburn for the season! And McGoldrick.

Absolutely textbook.

Feels like Woolford for Murphy. Is it Woolford for Murphy? Might be Woolford for Murphy.

I don't know how some of you are going to cope when you realise that Santa doesn't exist or that the tooth fairy is really mummy and daddy

I think some of you must just refuse to u erstand how modern football works and the fact thst Brooks wanted to go and his agent had got him a move to a premier league club means either we keep an unhappy player who's value drops or we sell a player and strengthen a team that badly needed strengthening all the rest is just either focusing on the negatives or the positives and not the facts

Just watching him batter West Ham on Match of the Day and am confused as to how to feel...

Proud, teary eyed about the player we've lost and angry that at £12m - it looks like we had our leg lifted...
We were always going to, got to be happy for him, will make the highest level I think

Absolutely textbook.
Out of interest, how much do you expect someone else to lose every year in support of your hobby?

He wanted to go and we got a fair price. Move on.

GLTTL.

Quite right. Let's remember his time with us fondly and wish him well (unlike the Wednesday Way - 'Never rated him', 'Rubbish' etc.)

When we see DB playing well remember why. Like Maguire, it's because he's surrounded by far better players. He could well have 'plateaued' with another season here, and nobody would have been willing to pay £12m for him.

well selling Brooks just reminded everyone old enough of the perennial lack of ambition shown by the owners of SUFC.

isn't that the reason for any lack of optimism, and I wasn't there, so I can't say whether or not the crowd felt upbeat or dolorous to be honest.

The Brooks sale is totally different to our other sales.

Players like Kyle Naughton, Kyle Walker, Jordan Slew, Calvert-Lewis, Brooks were young players with massive potential.
They were players for the future not players for the present.
None of those players were 1st regulars and a long long way from being our best player.
So selling these players had no immediate effect on the 1st team, so you can understand the logic.

Whereas selling the teams best players like Sabella, Agana, Deane, Fjortoft immediately severely weakened us.
It’s these types of sales that anger the fans the most.
The last time we sold a best player was Harry Maguire but in fairness these days a league 1 club can never compete with a PL club.
Also Maguire has improved so much that he’d outgrown league 1, it would have been detrimental to Harry’s developement to force him to play in league 1 again.

There is nothing about this deal that doesn't piss me off. Nothing about it is right or acceptable.

We even rushed him out of the door before July. It was absolutely pathetic. The assumption was probably that we wanted to quickly reinvest. But we didn't even do that, and aren't going to, certainly in this window.

Did anyone at United really believe he was only worth £12m? If so, who? If not, then why accept below his value? I don't give a shit if he wanted to leave. He was on a 4 year fucking contract. He would've hardly kicked up a stink.

But by allowing him to leave immediately we've set a precedent for other players, like JOC for example who no doubt feels entitled to a PL move now a bit of interest has come along.

Brooks would've been superb in the Championship this season - if Wilder bothered to play him anyway. He seems more willing to play Woodburn, who on the evidence so far is a pale imitation.... and he's not even ours.

We've done a shitty, shitty piece of business and the sell on clause is the only possible saving grace.
Spot on Ricky

Just watching him batter West Ham on Match of the Day and am confused as to how to feel...

Proud, teary eyed about the player we've lost and angry that at £12m - it looks like we had our leg lifted...

The kids class , a player I love to watch , he's doesn't do everything right but when he does its class , that pass through to Wilson when Wilson should have scored was pure class . We don't do players like him at the lane because we cant hold on to them !! I cant help thing of poor old jack hunt , the guys career never recovered since he nut Megged him at the sty , he was a nervous wreck after that !
I loved watching him in a blades shirt , but its typical Sheffield united when he agreed to stay for the last season he gets glandular fever !! = Sheffield united the unluckiest club in the world

Out of interest, how much do you expect someone else to lose every year in support of your hobby?

Owning a football club isn't the best choice if your objective is purely profit. I expect them to maximise asset value for someone like Brooks, which they haven't done. Then, if they have any ambition at all, which they should have given the difference PL riches would make to them, they'd reinvest suitably and give us a chance of getting there.

The kids class , a player I love to watch , he's doesn't do everything right but when he does its class , that pass through to Wilson when Wilson should have scored was pure class . We don't do players like him at the lane because we cant hold on to them !! I cant help thing of poor old jack hunt , the guys career never recovered since he nut Megged him at the sty , he was a nervous wreck after that !
I loved watching him in a blades shirt , but its typical Sheffield united when he agreed to stay for the last season he gets glandular fever !! = Sheffield united the unluckiest club in the world
The tide i
Owning a football club isn't the best choice if your objective is purely profit. I expect them to maximise asset value for someone like Brooks, which they haven't done. Then, if they have any ambition at all, which they should have given the difference PL riches would make to them, they'd reinvest suitably and give us a chance of getting there.
scared of taking a chance

I forget, McCabe always deliberately undersells players as he doesn't want to make any money.

He's made mistakes, but getting 12million for a player who had started a handful of first team games in his career is not one of them. Or at least it's far too early to say.

And if selling Brooks meant we were able to bring in Ollie Norwood (we'll never know for sure), then it's given us a much better chance of promotion than if Brooks was still here.

You seem to know a lot about players but nothing about football

Ah, Callum Wilson. In 2014 there were rumours that we were after him but couldn't afford the £3m Coventry wanted (we were in the Third Division after all). He went to Bournemouth and has flourished. Nothing to do with 'lack of ambition' or 'bad luck', we didn't have the money and now he's surrounded by class players. We move on.

Regarding this reinvestment, I should say that I'm sure it's not all down to the owners and Wilder could've spent considerably more if he chose to. But nevertheless, we haven't reinvested. As has always been the case at this club.

I forget, McCabe always deliberately undersells players as he doesn't want to make any money.

He's made mistakes, but getting 12million for a player who had started a handful of first team games in his career is not one of them. Or at least it's far too early to say.

And if selling Brooks meant we were able to bring in Ollie Norwood (we'll never know for sure), then it's given us a much better chance of promotion than if Brooks was still here.

That's wrong though isn't it. We don't have anyone like Brooks now, we have Coutts who's like Norwood.

You seem to have an in depth knowledge of players across the league's,( all over the world in fact) but when you are faced with the harsh reality's of the way the game works you come accross as a bit childish

Again, how? Part of your argument seems to be that you can't keep a player who wants to leave. That's wrong. For other clubs, anyway.

We don't do players like him at the lane because we cant hold on to them !!

Buying players cheap and selling high, is actually a skill. I’ve no problem what’s so ever selling Brooks (remember he wasn’t even a first team regular last season) AS LONG as we re-invest properly. We’ve made a massive profit on Brooks and strengthened the squad this season,so someone is doing a good job at SUFC.
This Brooks deal is probably one of those deals where all parties benefit and everyone is happy.

I heard a Wednesday fan the other day jealous at our transfer policy.
He was slagging off SWFC saying their transfer policy is terrible compared to ours.
They buy older players at their best giving them a massive salary, their form drops playing for them, so their value decreases and they struggle to sell because their salary is so high. Whereas we buy young players, build them up, then sell at a big profit.

He quoted the George Hirst scenario, offered 2 million by Leicester but they refused to sell and now he’s out of contract and a free agent joining a team in Belgium. He said our board is much more business savvy and we’d have sold for 2 million if we knew he’d never sign a contract.

Actually selling young players, developing them to sell at a higher price is a model that can work and bring relative success.

I can think of Monaco, Porto, Brentford and Southampton (off the top of my head) that seem to have this business plan and buying young players with potential, building them up then selling on to bigger clubs at a big profit.

Last edited:
No one offered £15m though and the £12m we received will plug the losses for a year or so. Easy to say we should have held out for more when it's not your company and cash at stake but if £12m was the offer after a negotiation then who would turn it down?

Just because nobody offered more than £12m doesn’t mean we had accept it, it’s a poor argument to put forward. Villa were in financial dire straits this summer but still repelled Tottenham’s offer for Grealish as it didn’t meet their valuation. It pretty clear that Bournemouth have got a very good deal, We don’t seem to learn from our past mistakes. For the life of me I cannot see why we let him go for £12m shortly after Norwich received more than double that for Maddison. Fair enough he’s played a few more games but it doesn’t warrant such a difference. I fear we are going to regret this deal and look very foolish in a few years time.

Back
Top Bottom