Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I don't mean to be a smart arse, I genuinely always value your comments but why the formation change to suit him? Even a 3-4-1-2 would work wouldn't it if he played the number 10 role?
Also he might be a fantastic winger but he's a goal threat, he's got fast feet and beats men for fun, I really don't want to see him against athletic/pacey wingbacks just to incorporate him. Have him squaring up against flat footed, hefty centre backs. He will get a yard and shoot, thread creative balls through, win pens etc.
Basically give him freedom in a few games. Even the ones that we could find ourselves a couple behind in.
I said to my dad today "I really hope we don't coach the flair out of him" he looks fearless and seems to enjoy expressing himself. I don't think Wilder will, in fact as long as he works hard I believe CW will bring out the best in him.
I think we have a gem on our hands, the type that we haven't had since the Kyle's and I really want to see him let off the leash in a few games- but in the right way and in the right position.
I see him as being brought on for a wing back to go 433 when we are chasing a game or if 352 isn't working

I see him as being brought on for a wing back to go 433 when we are chasing a game or if 352 isn't working

Do you know if brooks counts as an academy player? I know he joined us late but I wonder if the plan is to keep him so that he fills the quota of having an academy player in your match day 18?

Do you know if brooks counts as an academy player? I know he joined us late but I wonder if the plan is to keep him so that he fills the quota of having an academy player in your match day 18?
He's down as a development player on the OS

Well Man City produced him, then released him at 16. We've just brought him on from there.
That's right.
Whiteman is just as good as Brooks in his position. So is Reed.

We may have just started our 'Pathway for Youth', almost by default as Brooks could have been at Chesterfield for the season.

We must give bright young players the supposed 'Pathway' both Wilder and McCabe waxed lyrical about a year ago.

Wilders's Nortahmpton Champions averaged 28 years old. Ours was similar last season, certainly no youngsters featuring much.

As a club we have to encourage our kids, otherwise they leave.
I've seen a lot of Reed (good but woefully inconsistent), a bit of Whiteman (nothing out of the ordinary at this stage but could become a solid midfielder) and next to nothing of Brooks (but those who have are foaming at the mouth about him).

I couldn't come to the same conclusion as you based on that.

But it's all positive.

One huge question here - why are people assuming that patterns of the past will continue with CW at the helm? Has the last 14(?) months taught us nothing? CW is cut from a different cloth. Everything he says and does is as if it's coming from an aggregate of the comments on this very forum. Yes, he let Ramsdale go and DCL had his head turned, but neither of those were a Walker or Maguire - PL class waiting to explode. CW knows his shit and has already shown his cards in keeping Brooks at the lane. He's seen something and wants to be part of Brooks' future and want Brooks to be part of ours. In Wilder, we trust ;)

Brooks is light years ahead of Reed. He has pace,guile,trickery,finishing and self belief. Whatever Reed has it dosent include any of those.

I don't mean to be a smart arse, I genuinely always value your comments but why the formation change to suit him? Even a 3-4-1-2 would work wouldn't it if he played the number 10 role?
Also he might be a fantastic winger but he's a goal threat, he's got fast feet and beats men for fun, I really don't want to see him against athletic/pacey wingbacks just to incorporate him. Have him squaring up against flat footed, hefty centre backs. He will get a yard and shoot, thread creative balls through, win pens etc.
Basically give him freedom in a few games. Even the ones that we could find ourselves a couple behind in.
I said to my dad today "I really hope we don't coach the flair out of him" he looks fearless and seems to enjoy expressing himself. I don't think Wilder will, in fact as long as he works hard I believe CW will bring out the best in him.
I think we have a gem on our hands, the type that we haven't had since the Kyle's and I really want to see him let off the leash in a few games- but in the right way and in the right position.

Number 10 isn't only an attacking, technical role. There's the defensive side, the closing down and the requirement to work hard, certainly in our team. I see him as a number 10 eventually and I agree he's fearless - it's a great attribute of his, he lets nothing discourage him - but he's still very slight and inexperienced, and I'd rather see him eased in from wide than thrown into the more condensed area in the middle of the pitch. Playing number 10 is a big responsibility in our system as there are no attacking wingers to provide assistance. Putting him out wide could give him a bit more space, less responsibility and let him focus on what he's good at. He could be very effective drifting in from the right.

If we're playing 3-5-2 all the time then we could either give him a go at number 10, or play with two attacking midfielders supporting a centre forward. That's something I'd like to see, with the right players it could be excellent. Brooks and Holmes supporting a good centre forward for example. If the attacking midfielders are flexible and chip in with goals it gives you a bit of everything.

Agreed, Ricky. We should not be even thinking of selling this lad unless a crazy offer comes in. The days of premiership clubs having our pants down needs to be brought to an end. In today's market an upfront fee of £1m to £2m (or thereabouts) as per DCL and Ramsdale is a paltry, risk-free outlay for a top tier club. It was excusable last season as we were in League 1 and the sales freed up money and wages for us to strengthen the starting 11. However, it would be completely unacceptable this season and would send out all the wrong signals. If we want to be taken seriously we need swat away any interest or offers for Brooks. If he starts to fulfill his potential then of course he will leave, but at least we will then get a sensible price.

I'm sick of us selling our promising youngsters at the first available opportunity and I'm sick of us being seen by premiership teams as a soft touch in the transfer market. Up until now we were told it was because we were a L1 team and were therefore powerless to resist offers from bigger clubs. This is no longer the case. In fact it would be nice if we started going out and cherry picking other 'smaller' teams' young emerging talent. We've had to put up with it long enough!

A 4-3-1-2 allows for 3 attacking players who could all be no 10's. A 3-4-1-2 only allows for 1 so he would have to displace Duffy, Carruthers, and potentially Holmes to start.

Number 10 isn't only an attacking, technical role. There's the defensive side, the closing down and the requirement to work hard, certainly in our team. I see him as a number 10 eventually and I agree he's fearless - it's a great attribute of his, he lets nothing discourage him - but he's still very slight and inexperienced, and I'd rather see him eased in from wide than thrown into the more condensed area in the middle of the pitch. Playing number 10 is a big responsibility in our system as there are no attacking wingers to provide assistance. Putting him out wide could give him a bit more space, less responsibility and let him focus on what he's good at. He could be very effective drifting in from the right.

If we're playing 3-5-2 all the time then we could either give him a go at number 10, or play with two attacking midfielders supporting a centre forward. That's something I'd like to see, with the right players it could be excellent. Brooks and Holmes supporting a good centre forward for example. If the attacking midfielders are flexible and chip in with goals it gives you a bit of everything.
Great thought out response as always pal.
I just see the wing as the graveyard of pacey youngsters, headless chickens and underperforming strikers. I know I'm wrong though.
I want him to have the biggest impact possible because I know how fickle fans can be but reading your views about playing him on the wing also makes complete sense.

We play 352 so if brooks wants to start he has to get past Duffy. Let's not over complicate things even further

Are you being serious with that £10m? Just wondering what it is that makes you think that? It's a serious question as I've seen absolutely nothing of him
Yes I am. That's what I'd ask for and not accept a penny less than £7m. He is a quality, quality player, with the potential to go to the very top, like Kyle Walker had. Let's not have our pants down again ffs blades. In today's market it's what he's worth

Yes I am. That's what I'd ask for and not accept a penny less than £7m. He is a quality, quality player, with the potential to go to the very top, like Kyle Walker had. Let's not have our pants down again ffs blades. In today's market it's what he's worth

I was asking about his attributes, as in what is it about his ability that makes you think he's worth that much. He obviously comes with a good reputation but I've seen nothing of him so I'm interested in why someone who's seen a lot of him thinks he's that good.

I was asking about his attributes, as in what is it about his ability that makes you think he's worth that much. He obviously comes with a good reputation but I've seen nothing of him so I'm interested in why someone who's seen a lot of him thinks he's that good.
It's his technique, determination, pace. It's hard to define with his undoubted level of skill. Just sheer class on the 3 (including today) occasions I've seen him

I've watched him for the last 2 1/2 years,what Man City were thinking I don't know,all I do know is we've got a really good player on our hands,we need to build a team around him and the rest of the class players like fleck and coutsey and jack o Connell

I've watched him for the last 2 1/2 years,what Man City were thinking I don't know,all I do know is we've got a really good player on our hands,we need to build a team around him and the rest of the class players like fleck and coutsey and jack o Connell

We need to use a bit more caution amongst all this excitement.

Let's not forget how EEL was going to be the new Chris Morgan and our future captain. Some were saying offer £500,000 and give him whatever wages he wants.

Let's also not forget how Louis Reed was going to our midfield maestro for years and we should resist any £2 million + offers.

Let's see how Brooks plays against men in the big league before commenting on his worth.
Also let's not forget that for all his potential, to date he's achieved absolutely nothing.
He's not played a single game for us and he's not even a local lad with no obvious allegiance to us.

wtf, brooks is a good prospect, but that's it at the moment. Not strong enough for the championship, same as Reed. Good players for there age but would get bullied week in, week out in the Championship or above. Go on, prove me wrong next season, I want him too. But I don't think he will.

I'm so excited after reading this that when we sell him I will hate you forever

I can understand that people are a bit sceptical given that he's not played a league game for us yet but this lad has undoubted skill and technique that I really sense will take him all the way to the top - like we knew with Walker after a handful of games was going to be the genuine article. And if we sell Brooks for the same pitiful amount as Walker was given away for then we've lost the plot.

I'm so excited after reading this that when we sell him I will hate you forever

I don't know why I typed it to be honest. Total waste of time. Only going to make it hurt more.

Might be best to save any posts about Brooks until after 1st September.

I can understand that people are a bit sceptical given that he's not played a league game for us yet but this lad has undoubted skill and technique that I really sense will take him all the way to the top - like we knew with Walker after a handful of games was going to be the genuine article. And if we sell Brooks for the same pitiful amount as Walker was given away for then we've lost the plot.

So are you saying you think Brooks is destined to be an England international playing for a top 6 club?
Last time I heard these types of comments that we had a future England international was Che Adams.
He's really talented and we need to develope him but there's a long way to go.
Looking forward to seeing him in action next season.

Back
Top Bottom