Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If he sticks around, he'll compete for the Duffy role and that won't be surprising to see. A resurgent United side trying to reestablish themselves at this level. A squad of fighters and the veteran Duffy and youngster Brooks used interchangeably to create chances.

Whiteman is just as good as Brooks in his position. So is Reed.

We may have just started our 'Pathway for Youth', almost by default as Brooks could have been at Chesterfield for the season.

We must give bright young players the supposed 'Pathway' both Wilder and McCabe waxed lyrical about a year ago.

Wilders's Nortahmpton Champions averaged 28 years old. Ours was similar last season, certainly no youngsters featuring much.

As a club we have to encourage our kids, otherwise they leave.

Are you being serious with that £10m? Just wondering what it is that makes you think that? It's a serious question as I've seen absolutely nothing of him
There's Premier League clubs these days that won't give too much thought to paying it.

Sam Chapman who started today is a real talent aswell, can't see Brooks beeing sold unless silly money. He's been a great talent , also at City, but was deemed 'too small'. Now coming of age and looks the real thing.Our academy sure is doing a few things right, and probably will be ever so important in the future. Reed too could still make it, aswell as Whiteman

Number 10 role ?
If we had a Leonard type player to play at the side of Fleck I suppose.
Just watching Fleck, Carruthers, Reed and Duffy, they are all very similar and lightweight.
I'm a colossal Fleck fan, but Carruthers-fleck-Brooks in the centre is really small.

Charlton sold Lookman to Everton for £11 million (I think). Lookman hadn't had that many games for their first team yet that price went through the roof and Everton didn't blink an eye. Can anybody seriously suggest that we shouldn't expect a figure that begins at £6 million minimum (with a sell-on clause of 20%)? And this assumes that we'll sell the lad, so less of the cynicism chaps, let's see if Wilder has a regard for the boy and gives him a the opportunities he needs to impress the manager that we have a player of genuine class, who isn't in the least bit concerned about the other first team regulars, who gets on with his game and continues to progress and improve.

If we had a Leonard type player to play at the side of Fleck I suppose.
Just watching Fleck, Carruthers, Reed and Duffy, they are all very similar and lightweight.
I'm a colossal Fleck fan, but Carruthers-fleck-Brooks in the centre is really small.
I agree. I think we need to sign some height in central midfield to partner Fleck.

I saw only glimpses of him last season but I said then that he was the next Tony Currie. I just hope that we can continue to see him playing for us. If we have any realistic ambition to get into the Premiership, we must retain class players like him. We certainly couldn't afford to buy that kind of player.
By golly gumdrops, that is a claim and a half , the next TC ??

Hope you are even close to being right my friend, and that we can enjoy at least some of that in him wearing our badge ...

For once I'd like to see us hold onto and develop Brooks & be the ones to benefit from it as we now have a manager that knows how get the best out of a midfield ... I know know circumstances dictate but Walker , Naughton, Lawton etc and seemed good business at the time .. how much of a turning point for us losing the play off final to Burnley , but I would have loved to have seen them in a red & white shirt for longer .
I suppose to even the balance up we came out the best with Woodhouse , Morris and Slew.

Wooooooooooooa did I just hear/read a TC comparison!??

For once I'd like to see us hold onto and develop Brooks & be the ones to benefit from it as we now have a manager that knows how get the best out of a midfield ... I know know circumstances dictate but Walker , Naughton, Lawton etc and seemed good business at the time .. how much of a turning point for us losing the play off final to Burnley , but I would have loved to have seen them in a red & white shirt for longer .

Six fuckin' seasons in the third divison was the benefit.

Been here with Diego haven't we, we'll see but I don't see Brooks featuring when the serious business starts.

Yes we might sell him, but let's hope not. Some of our supporters do seem hell bent on looking for negatives at a time when, at last, there is much about which we can feel optimistic. Let's get behind the club and look for the many positives.

No one is not behind the club but the minute anyone decent emerges from the academy they are sold.

What’s the point?

Why bother.

All the sale does is recover costs.

Spend the academy money on the first team.

Charlton sold Lookman to Everton for £11 million (I think). Lookman hadn't had that many games for their first team yet that price went through the roof and Everton didn't blink an eye. Can anybody seriously suggest that we shouldn't expect a figure that begins at £6 million minimum (with a sell-on clause of 20%)? And this assumes that we'll sell the lad, so less of the cynicism chaps, let's see if Wilder has a regard for the boy and gives him a the opportunities he needs to impress the manager that we have a player of genuine class, who isn't in the least bit concerned about the other first team regulars, who gets on with his game and continues to progress and improve.

Lookman played 45 first team games, and scored 10 goals, so a bit more proven.

However, the other day somebody pointed out the QPR lad that's just signed for Everton for £4.25m, and has played just once for QPR.

First of all, we must keep him. Selling him in this window would be inexcusable. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain with him in terms of value, as well as contribution on the pitch.

His presence should prevent us signing another attacking midfielder along with (hopefully) Holmes. The likes of Carey and Reeves were/are available on frees but as tempting as it might be to sign certain players, we can't be flooding the midfield to an extent where Brooks' path to the team is completely shut off.

He's a special talent and if we can't significantly factor him into our plans this season, then I don't know when an academy player will ever get a chance in the first team.

Put it this way, if he played for another club we wouldn't have a hope in hell of signing him. We need to realise what sort of asset we've got and try to maximise it, for once.

He's an option anywhere across attacking midfield, right wing is probably his best bet at this stage. He'd suit a 4-2-3-1. As he develops I could see him becoming our best option for the number 10 position.

I just want to see how good he is, how good he can become, and see him in our first team, at least for one season. Then if we do sell him, get proper money. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Simple question

What wage should we pay him?

After reading the comments on this thread you can bet his agent will want at least £15K a week.
Should he be the top earner at the club? It's amazing that's he's hardly played league football and already he's our best player.

There's so many factors yet.
Remember after a few games most Blades were saying EEL could lead us to the PL and we should build our defence around him and give him what ever wage he wants. He was to be our new Chris Morgan.

Any of you getting excited about Brooks are just going to make it worse for yourselves when he is sold before the season is up, which he will be.

Its pointless getting excited about young players anymore, they will be off the moment a prem club comes sniffing. That's the way it is now.

First of all, we must keep him. Selling him in this window would be inexcusable. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain with him in terms of value, as well as contribution on the pitch.

His presence should prevent us signing another attacking midfielder along with (hopefully) Holmes. The likes of Carey and Reeves were/are available on frees but as tempting as it might be to sign certain players, we can't be flooding the midfield to an extent where Brooks' path to the team is completely shut off.

He's a special talent and if we can't significantly factor him into our plans this season, then I don't know when an academy player will ever get a chance in the first team.

Put it this way, if he played for another club we wouldn't have a hope in hell of signing him. We need to realise what sort of asset we've got and try to maximise it, for once.

He's an option anywhere across attacking midfield, right wing is probably his best bet at this stage. He'd suit a 4-2-3-1. As he develops I could see him becoming our best option for the number 10 position.

I just want to see how good he is, how good he can become, and see him in our first team, at least for one season. Then if we do sell him, get proper money. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
I don't mean to be a smart arse, I genuinely always value your comments but why the formation change to suit him? Even a 3-4-1-2 would work wouldn't it if he played the number 10 role?
Also he might be a fantastic winger but he's a goal threat, he's got fast feet and beats men for fun, I really don't want to see him against athletic/pacey wingbacks just to incorporate him. Have him squaring up against flat footed, hefty centre backs. He will get a yard and shoot, thread creative balls through, win pens etc.
Basically give him freedom in a few games. Even the ones that we could find ourselves a couple behind in.
I said to my dad today "I really hope we don't coach the flair out of him" he looks fearless and seems to enjoy expressing himself. I don't think Wilder will, in fact as long as he works hard I believe CW will bring out the best in him.
I think we have a gem on our hands, the type that we haven't had since the Kyle's and I really want to see him let off the leash in a few games- but in the right way and in the right position.

Any of you getting excited about Brooks are just going to make it worse for yourselves when he is sold before the season is up, which he will be.

Its pointless getting excited about young players anymore, they will be off the moment a prem club comes sniffing. That's the way it is now.
Blooooooooooody hell, why put the trimmings up for Christmas, you'll only be taking them down the week after ya grinch.;)

Back
Top Bottom