Brewster; I don't want to be unkind but...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Didsy is quoted as saying he’s not seen a better finisher at 20 than Brewster.
As impressive as that is,being able to welly the ball is only one aspect of being a striker.
Jimmy Greaves (what a player!)wellied the fuck out of some goals but had the poise to pass it into the net on many many more occasions.
Ronaldo can welly the ball as we’ve all seen but look how many tap ins he gets by reading the game or following up a strike that a keeper spills…shit loads. He also misses chances,he misses more than Brewster but he makes sure he gets plenty more chances in a game by being switched on.
Brewster is not switched on,yes he can thump a ball but as Klopp warned us of before he took the money,other aspects of his game are not there yet.
I saw more potential in Jebbisson in his brief appearances simply because he was ‘switched on‘ than what I’ve seen from Brewster.
The clock is ticking for Brewster but we can’t afford to train him on the job as I believe this is a decade defining season for the Blades.
Sorry got distracted there.
Alot of good points there. He has scored goals in the past but as you say has a tendency to welly them. So how good a finisher he is? That's still open to debate. Now the obvious difference between now and his time at Swansea is he isn't showing the same desire to get on the end of things. Switched on is a good word for it and the comparisons are valid with Jebbison etc.

On that note though I wonder whether it's due whether he really wants to be here. Reports at the time were that he was pissed off that Klopp wanted to sell him. Also weren't there rumours that he wasn't putting it in at training when he first arrived hence his late first team appearance.
It's hard to know what is the exact issue but it does appear as if he is not tuned in.

If you are reviewing Brewster's performance at Hull Vs Sheffield United I think that's what you should do. It seems pretty obvious to me. If you're not mature or analytical enough to do that, it's probably best to allow others, that are, to review Hull Vs Sheffield United. What has Brewster's overall performance at In Ted got to do with Hull Vs Sheffield United pray tell?
Brewster was in the film Ted... Can't remember that, I'm guessing he must have been in the bear costume

Brewster was in the film Ted... Can't remember that, I'm guessing he must have been in the bear costume

It was short hand for "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure" - no wonder you missed it... Massive contribution here! Excellent goal, party on dude!

Not delivering YET I would say….there are signs that many are returning towards their better displays….4 games ago Fleck was finished and needed hounding out according to some fans!!
But there are signs some confidence is coming back allied to them getting used to a new manager and the addition of a few fresh faces.

As for what we could have done…any one may have worked but as you say the chances were slim for all of them. If I’m honest I just think we were too big a project to keep up past the first season and should have probably in hindsight accepted that and spent accordingly.

Fleck does seem to have his mojo back the last couple of games and is contributing more.

The criticism boils down to return on investment where Brewster and also McBurnie, Mousset, Berge and Ramsdale (at the beginning) cost significant sums of money and if we're honest, none have justified the money spent on them.

If Brewster was an academy kid who'd been released and we picked him up as a cheap, low risk Ben Heneghan/Nathan Thomas style project and it didn't work, we'd move on from it pretty quick. It's the fact that we put all our eggs in one basket and it hasn't paid off. In his defence, he was parachuted into an atrocious team and as a young kid seemed to be expected to carry it.

This is his chance to shine at this level but it's up to him to do it, nobody will do it for him. He only needs to look in Jordan Slew's direction to see where he could end up.

It's either straight at the keeper or miles over the bar.

Really hope he comes good, but I think it's fair to say the scousers have had our pants down with what we've paid.

It's either straight at the keeper or miles over the bar.
He's got an absolute rocket on him, not seen a striker at this club with such a powerful shot before. But yes, it's either right at the keeper at a million miles an hour, or not on target.

Love these types of threads. Love it when people who are or have never been near the professional ranks decide someone isnt a professional footballer.
The lad is a professional footballer - he is much better than 99% of the population who enjoy football.
He has not obviously done well for us so far. We might not be the right club but he proved at Swansea and for England U17s, U19s and U21s he is capable.

Love these types of threads. Love it when people who are or have never been near the professional ranks decide someone isnt a professional footballer.
The lad is a professional footballer - he is much better than 99% of the population who enjoy football.
He has not obviously done well for us so far. We might not be the right club but he proved at Swansea and for England U17s, U19s and U21s he is capable.

You don't need to be Robert Ebert to say that a movie sucks, or be a 5* Chef to say that a meal is awful.

Verrips played for the Holland under 19's and did well in the Eredivisie , yet he gets no slack from anyone here after one bad game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

When he scored in the cup game, he got a five minute standing ovation from the crowd. Everyone wants the lad to do well.
He’s got such a tidal wave of good will behind him. I’m starting to think non of it is actually registering with the lad.

think brewster will start tonight with billy on the bench ive almost given up on the lad but im clinging to the hope that he will get a couple of goals in a game and things will turn round for the lad have to say though dont think him or mcburnie are a fit for united

For me personally I’ll give him the season to start to show real development under a new coach with new methods in a new set up. I think solanke is a decent bar to judge him by. Was equally disappointing in the prem, started last season slow did better after Christmas and finished with 15 goals in 45 appearances. This season he’s looking the real deal for Bournemouth and is a couple of years older than Brewster.
Excellent post - Completely agree.

Only Ramsdale came out of last season with any credit, even those who don't get much flack or as seen a better performers (McG, Egan, Bash etc) were poor, odd patches of games aside. Judging anyone on last year alone doesn't really offer much. Whilst this can be seen as an excuse, i think its a valid one.

Fast forward to the start of this year, its taken 4 or 5 games and a some new blood into the team for SJ to start to see improvements.

Now the team are starting to find their feet its the real test for Brewster (and other underperformers such as McB, Fleck, Norwood, Baldock etc).

By January we'll have an idea of whether Brewster is going to sink or swim for us. For all the criticism he gets, he's not been awful this year (granted not great and certainly not a £20m player, but not as bad as some makeout), played out of position and not had a consistent run as a forward.

Everyone's quick to judge, and often victim of confirmation bias but simply put time will tell. His pedigree leads me to believe theres a player who will come good, at least as a squad player capable of positive contribution, if not a 20 goal a season bagsman.

I'd like to see Brewster lead the line tonight in the 4231 formation we've been playing last few games.

Excellent post - Completely agree.

Only Ramsdale came out of last season with any credit, even those who don't get much flack or as seen a better performers (McG, Egan, Bash etc) were poor, odd patches of games aside. Judging anyone on last year alone doesn't really offer much. Whilst this can be seen as an excuse, i think its a valid one.

Fast forward to the start of this year, its taken 4 or 5 games and a some new blood into the team for SJ to start to see improvements.

Now the team are starting to find their feet its the real test for Brewster (and other underperformers such as McB, Fleck, Norwood, Baldock etc).

By January we'll have an idea of whether Brewster is going to sink or swim for us. For all the criticism he gets, he's not been awful this year (granted not great and certainly not a £20m player, but not as bad as some makeout), played out of position and not had a consistent run as a forward.

Everyone's quick to judge, and often victim of confirmation bias but simply put time will tell. His pedigree leads me to believe theres a player who will come good, at least as a squad player capable of positive contribution, if not a 20 goal a season bagsman.

I'd like to see Brewster lead the line tonight in the 4231 formation we've been playing last few games.
It depends where Slav sees him for me if he still sees him as a nine then yeah give him some time through the middle but if he’s going to be a player who plays in the 3 behind for us consistently then more game time there would do him good. At some point I’d like to see him play on the left with ndiaye in the middle and MGW on the right with either sharp, mousset or mcburnie through the middle.

It depends where Slav sees him for me if he still sees him as a nine then yeah give him some time through the middle but if he’s going to be a player who plays in the 3 behind for us consistently then more game time there would do him good. At some point I’d like to see him play on the left with ndiaye in the middle and MGW on the right with either sharp, mousset or mcburnie through the middle.
slightly disagree yogi i think brewster is an out and out number 9 in the billy role personally cant see the lad being succesful as one of the 3 in behind if were playing 4231 which seems to be slavs preferred system

slightly disagree yogi i think brewster is an out and out number 9 in the billy role personally cant see the lad being succesful as one of the 3 in behind if were playing 4231 which seems to be slavs preferred system
I think he’s played most of his young career as a 9 certainly but his best games for us have come slightly further back.

he was certainly brought in as billys succesor imo but hes never looked as though he wants to be here to me
I think the same but it might play out differently. As to his attitude I’d be inclined to disagree I don’t think I’ve seen him sulk particularly and the attitude of the other players towards him still seems positive which I don’t think it would be if he was sulking about the place.

I think the same but it might play out differently. As to his attitude I’d be inclined to disagree I don’t think I’ve seen him sulk particularly and the attitude of the other players towards him still seems positive which I don’t think it would be if he was sulking about the place.
In fact he seemed to be generally thrilled whenever we score and seems to love the fans. His reaction to scoring in the shit cup and going straight to the fans is another example but you’re talking to a brick wall with some. I had a young kid behind me at Hull screaming at him “you’re a striker you should be in the box”. Some are just idiots, others just don’t se it and most have made their minds up. The sad part is the idiots will make up all sorts rather than just saying where we all can see he’s struggling.
Just sit back and watch the muppets squirm and twist their comments when he comes good, whoever that is ultimately for.

im not saying hes sulking at all just dont think hes looked happy here although he has looked more positive in recent games maybe a couple of goals will see him take off

im not saying hes sulking at all just dont think hes looked happy here although he has looked more positive in recent games maybe a couple of goals will see him take off
I’ve always got the opposite impression he’s always smiling. Maybe he hasn’t quite found his fit yet but for me he gets this season to show progress before I start to get really worried.

I was a wank footballer

But I bet I've been to nigh on 1,000 games. I reckon I've got a little bit of knowledge

Not sure anyone is doubting he's a pro. But based on his performances for United he needs to drop down a level or 2 and build up his knowledge of adult football. He's shown us nothing to indicate he's even a Championship level forward since we signed him.

He's not a 9. He's just not. He doesn't do any of the things we need in that role

Back
Top Bottom