Brewster; I don't want to be unkind but...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He turned 21 in April.

Basically signed for £20m to play in the premier league and save a club that was struggling when he arrived.

Allow me to add: he then made a number of appearances whereby his hit rate was dismally low. No goals, fleeting glimpses of getting a shot in, but mostly looking like a fucking traffic cone. The club was still relegated even though a bloke several years older became top scorer by sheer endeavour alone.

At the same time of his career, Billy Sharp had just been signed back to the blades in the championship for a decent fee after we had sold him to Scunny and he’s scored a fair few in L2 and L1 with Andy Keogh creating goals for him.
Sharp was utilised badly, played out wide and scored 8 goals in 3 years was it?? In the championship??

So?

So I think some need to put some context on Brewster, accept our expectations were too high and acknowledge that we paid for potential….and that if we can get this lad full of confidence he has immense ability of ball control and pace, (and prior to landing here showed he can finish too) that we will see him gradually become the goal scorer we need.

What 'potential' do you see, exactly? And do you not think that many other poor signings recently and in years gone by may temper some fans' optimism?

Some might say “no chance”, but I recall plenty with similar opinions on Sharp 12 years ago, and he’s done ok!

You'd best hope he comes good then. Otherwise we'll hear your admission of wrongness? If Brewster suddenly turns it on and bags fifteen goals, I will happily admit I was wrong. Given his recent outings though, d'you not think this is a bit fanciful?

pommpey

Allow me to add: he then made a number of appearances whereby his hit rate was dismally low. No goals, fleeting glimpses of getting a shot in, but mostly looking like a fucking traffic cone. The club was still relegated even though a bloke several years older became top scorer by sheer endeavour alone.

So?

What 'potential' do you see, exactly? And do you not think that many other poor signings recently and in years gone by may temper some fans' optimism?

You'd best hope he comes good then. Otherwise we'll hear your admission of wrongness? If Brewster suddenly turns it on and bags fifteen goals, I will happily admit I was wrong. Given his recent outings though, d'you not think this is a bit fanciful?

pommpey

You answered your own question with requoting what I put. Both times.
Play the post not the poster is it??

I suggest you stop trying so hard to sound clever and condescending. I might have some interest in what you are trying to say.

A lot of people letting agendas get in the way of reality re this game. Brewster was more than fine. Two great runs in the inside channels got him in with shots on goal in the first half. The second was a fantastic bit of control and skill. Just before the start of the second half a great first touch lay off from a difficult long range Egan ball opened the space for MGW to put Sharp clean through. A sublime move by United which Brewster played a key role in. At the start off the second half he took a great touch and pushed it past the full back and got him booked. A few other bits where he created space and got a shot off or created the space for others to cross.

In the last 15 he had a half chance that he miscontrolled when he was well positioned; he should've also broken his neck to get on the end of an Osborn centre, but I'm perhaps being over critical here? Out of possession he was very good. Only when we disrupted the balance of the midfield in the second half did Hull come into it.
Don't judge him on his price tag or United career, judge him on United Vs Hull.
So you are asking us to judge him on ONE game?????
What about the previous 30 odd he s had for us. In which he s shown close to zero impact at all.
Sorry but he s had more than enough game time to impress . For me he s a flop. Dont care if we paid £23 million or £23 he has not done the business.

I suppose the question is are we the sort of club who can afford 20 odd million for someone who may be good one day?

Hindsight is great, but we talk about investing in the future and investing in the now.
Fact remains when you need strikers from the premier league you have several options, each carrying its own problem or risk.

1. Buy proven player who’s been there and done it at that level be it in England or abroad- problem being they’re expensive in both wages and fee and everyone wants them!! Way out of our level.
2. Pick up younger players on the up, who show the promise that they will kick on and become the top player you need with experience. Brewster. The risk of course is how long will it take them!
3. Develop your own player from youth level.
4. Buy players who’ve been there and done it at a level below and hope they can step up. McBurnie and to a lesser degree Brewster.
5. Buy the experience/pick up for free on big wages….the Defoe’s…Deeney’s etc that are getting on, might be at a level we can afford but might be at the point of dropping like a stone due to injuries/legs going or whatever.

If it was easy, there would be no failures and every club will never get it wrong. Some players just don’t work at certain clubs and you can look at numerous players over the years who struggled and then suddenly became stars.
Thierry Henry at Monaco
Bergkamp at Inter
Sharp at United second time around
Salah at Chelsea
Lukaku at Chelsea
De Bruyne at Chelsea
And so on…..and you can bet your bottom dollar that Brewster will leave United one day and be the player we all want now for someone else!!

What about the previous 30 odd he s had for us. In which he s shown close to zero impact at all.
Sorry but he s had more than enough game time to impress . For me he s a flop. Dont care if we paid £23 million or £23 he has not done the business.

Preston game? Instrumental for the second goal with a simply sublime first time ball around the corner into MGW with the defender right up tight.
So that’s another game.

You think he’s had enough time, others don’t agree. He’s 21 for fucks sake, if he’d been at United since he was 18 and been part of our academy the tune would be totally different from pretty much every fan. So don’t suggest the fee has nothing to do with the current opinion of some because that’s clearly not the case.

It isn't just Brewster of course, other players brought in around the same time such as Moose and McBurnie haven't delivered either of course. I see your reasoning with the 5 categories. Unfortunately, the demands of the Premier League were such that we needed an instant fix particularly because other players were either under performing or peaking.

Preston game? Instrumental for the second goal with a simply sublime first time ball around the corner into MGW with the defender right up tight.
So that’s another game.

You think he’s had enough time, others don’t agree. He’s 21 for fucks sake, if he’d been at United since he was 18 and been part of our academy the tune would be totally different from pretty much every fan. So don’t suggest the fee has nothing to do with the current opinion of some because that’s clearly not the case.
So he s scored one goal ( a tap in v a league one side) and made a sublime (your words) pass. In 30 plus appearance s!
Some people are very easily pleased.

So he s scored one goal ( a tap in v a league one side) and made a sublime (your words) pass. In 30 plus appearance s!
Some people are very easily pleased.

I’m simply pointing out that you were wrong in your assertion he’s done fuck all. I didn’t even mr ruin his goal that saw us progress in the cup.

However, I’m also pretty confident that if I could be arsed to firstly find every game he’s played and then look through them all there would also be numerous occasions he has contributed to his team from his arrival here at not long turned 20 years old. Just as there will be several examples of him fucking up, making poor decisions etc.

But if some are happy to write off a clearly talented and athletic player at 20 years old then more fool them.

It isn't just Brewster of course, other players brought in around the same time such as Moose and McBurnie haven't delivered either of course. I see your reasoning with the 5 categories. Unfortunately, the demands of the Premier League were such that we needed an instant fix particularly because other players were either under performing or peaking.

So what should we have done out of the 5 options? If we were in that position now, who and where would you be looking with £20m available

Worth adding Berge has been open to a hammering too of late….and the fanfare, plaudits and praise from fans at the time he arrived seems very conveniently forgotten!
United will never catch up with that kind of thinking

The busting a gut bit irritates me immensely

Fleck broke with the ball during the first half yesterday and absolutely burnt brewster off to create a chance for gibbs white, which forced a good save from their keeper (who had a very good game)
I watched on TV and brewster went off camera as he did a slow jog behind Fleck and the ball
Yes you're right, I remember that too. Surely the coaches pick up on this too and show the players glaring errors like this? If they don't then they're not doing their job but I'm sure they do. Therefore there comes a point where you have to accept he's either thick or disobedient, or a mixture of the two and just can't follow basic instructions.

You answered your own question with requoting what I put. Both times.
Play the post not the poster is it??

I suggest you stop trying so hard to sound clever and condescending. I might have some interest in what you are trying to say.

No. Firstly, I am playing the post. This one is about Brewster, is it not?

Your post had the killer statement that 'the club was struggling'. As if we didn't fucking know. Do you work for the Ministry of the Obvious? You then make it as though no matter what Brewster did (in his case, provenly nothing) we'd have still been relegated. No shit #2. You fail badly however by not acknowledging that a bloke several years his senior managed to bag goals. It aint 'clever' and 'condescending' pointing that out. It's just 'the truth'. I know you kinda don't want to hear it, but it's there all the same.

Then you are trying to make parallels with Billy Sharp, in an entirely different United side, in a different decade, in a different league. Why stop there? Why not make out that Hun See Park didn't score for Pusan in the South Korean second division for forty games in 1954-55? What the fuck relevance does it have? This is about Rhian Brewster, not Sharp. He doesn't graft, looks fucking clueless and his efforts on goal are bobbar. Proof of that is one goal in thirty appearances.

If you can explain that, whatever interest you think you have to say may get some traction.

pommpey

No. Firstly, I am playing the post. This one is about Brewster, is it not?

Your post had the killer statement that 'the club was struggling'. As if we didn't fucking know. Do you work for the Ministry of the Obvious? You then make it as though no matter what Brewster did (in his case, provenly nothing) we'd have still been relegated. No shit #2. You fail badly however by not acknowledging that a bloke several years his senior managed to bag goals. It aint 'clever' and 'condescending' pointing that out. It's just 'the truth'. I know you kinda don't want to hear it, but it's there all the same.

Then you are trying to make parallels with Billy Sharp, in an entirely different United side, in a different decade, in a different league. Why stop there? Why not make out that Hun See Park didn't score for Pusan in the South Korean second division for forty games in 1954-55? What the fuck relevance does it have? This is about Rhian Brewster, not Sharp. He doesn't graft, looks fucking clueless and his efforts on goal are bobbar. Proof of that is one goal in thirty appearances.

If you can explain that, whatever interest you think you have to say may get some traction.

pommpey

Nah.

Not worth reading, probably more attempts at sarcasm and being condescending. I have no interest in your opinion as you’ve proven beyond doubt the kind of “fan” you are.

As I said first time around, I won’t waste my time trying to educate the stubborn egomaniacs.
Enjoy

Grizzly

Just remembered the ignore feature…lovely.

Nah.

Not worth reading, probably more attempts at sarcasm and being condescending. I have no interest in your opinion as you’ve proven beyond doubt the kind of “fan” you are.

As I said first time around, I won’t waste my time trying to educate the stubborn egomaniacs.
Enjoy

Grizzly

Just remembered the ignore feature…lovely.

TRANSL:

1. "I am talking out of my arse and painted myself into a corner. I am interested in his opinion, or I'd just not bother" (as most do who think I am full of shit - how's that for an egomaniac, eh?)

2. I assume that ignoring pommpey, this will wound his soul, badly*

* It won't. It's what he should have done the first time he needed his blankie and some gripe water

pommpey

So what should we have done out of the 5 options? If we were in that position now, who and where would you be looking with £20m available

Worth adding Berge has been open to a hammering too of late….and the fanfare, plaudits and praise from fans at the time he arrived seems very conveniently forgotten!
United will never catch up with that kind of thinking

Not trying to be a smart arse here and play the hindsight card by saying we should have bought player x or y instead.

Of the 5 options, 4 is my preferred choice for what we needed but it didn't work for us where Brewster, McBurnie and Moose are concerned. The stark reality is the end result would have been exactly the same if we had kept the money in the bank.

Our promotion seasons were achieved with all guns blazing. To be successful again we can't afford passengers and unfortunately some of our starting 11s are not delivering this season either.

Not trying to be a smart arse here and play the hindsight card by saying we should have bought player x or y instead.

Of the 5 options, 4 is my preferred choice for what we needed but it didn't work for us where Brewster, McBurnie and Moose are concerned. The stark reality is the end result would have been exactly the same if we had kept the money in the bank.

Our promotion seasons were achieved with all guns blazing. To be successful again we can't afford passengers and unfortunately some of our starting 11s are not delivering this season either.
This is pretty true although I’d say the mcburnie and mousset signings made sense we went up with a very old strike force and definitely need an injection of new blood in there during the promotion summer. However, deciding that the solution to our goal scoring woes the following summer was to add a new striker was very Warnock esq. As we’ve seen this season the issue was creativity as soon as attacking mids like ndiaye and MGW have been added we look much better. I think Brewster was signed in a position we didn’t need and for an amount of money we clearly couldn’t sustain. That said purely as a player I think he’s putting in ok performances with the occasional flash of better. He may come good he may not but I don’t think he’s disastrous in terms of his performances he’s been average for me but it might be a disastrous piece of business in the end. That’s on the club execs though not the player.

The thing that puzzles me about Brewster is how did he be a part of the Liverpool system without learning about movement, desire, and vision to choose the best option when in possession.

This is pretty true although I’d say the mcburnie and mousset signings made sense we went up with a very old strike force and definitely need an injection of new blood in there during the promotion summer. However, deciding that the solution to our goal scoring woes the following summer was to add a new striker was very Warnock esq. As we’ve seen this season the issue was creativity as soon as attacking mids like ndiaye and MGW have been added we look much better. I think Brewster was signed in a position we didn’t need and for an amount of money we clearly couldn’t sustain. That said purely as a player I think he’s putting in ok performances with the occasional flash of better. He may come good he may not but I don’t think he’s disastrous in terms of his performances he’s been average for me but it might be a disastrous piece of business in the end. That’s on the club execs though not the player.

What would you say is a reasonable amount of time to wait for him to come good?

What would you say is a reasonable amount of time to wait for him to come good?
For me personally I’ll give him the season to start to show real development under a new coach with new methods in a new set up. I think solanke is a decent bar to judge him by. Was equally disappointing in the prem, started last season slow did better after Christmas and finished with 15 goals in 45 appearances. This season he’s looking the real deal for Bournemouth and is a couple of years older than Brewster.

If you are reviewing Brewster's performance at Hull Vs Sheffield United I think that's what you should do. It seems pretty obvious to me. If you're not mature or analytical enough to do that, it's probably best to allow others, that are, to review Hull Vs Sheffield United. What has Brewster's overall performance at In Ted got to do with Hull Vs Sheffield United pray tell?

Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't particularly like being at Sheffield united.
Something doesn't add up.
i think youve nailed it with that post hes never looked like he wants to be here same with mcburnie neither are a fit with us for some reason thats not to say if their both moved on they wont be successes at a different club football works like that sometimes

If you are reviewing Brewster's performance at Hull Vs Sheffield United I think that's what you should do. It seems pretty obvious to me. If you're not mature or analytical enough to do that, it's probably best to allow others, that are, to review Hull Vs Sheffield United. What has Brewster's overall performance at In Ted got to do with Hull Vs Sheffield United pray tell?

*at United

Obviously you are mature and analytical enough to review Brewsters Hull performance so I'll leave it up to you to tell me how magnificently he performed.
I d like to analyse your last sentence but I haven't a clue what you are trying to say. Obviously it's way above my maturity and analytical prowess.

Obviously you are mature and analytical enough to review Brewsters Hull performance so I'll leave it up to you to tell me how magnificently he performed.
I d like to analyse your last sentence but I haven't a clue what you are trying to say. Obviously it's way above my maturity and analytical prowess.

The former was already done in the post YOU responded too. Maybe read before responding next time?! The last sentence was messed up by predictive text which was corrected further down the thread, but I'm guessing you already knew that since you responded a little later in the thread. Enjoy your cheap jibe though! Probably best for both of us if we avoid each other on here from now on; I've got enough kids at home...

Last edited:
What I’m finding particularly difficult to understand is why we paid £23.5m for Brewster and 12 months on are seemingly giving serious consideration to selling Jebbison for £5m. Why is there such a huge difference in fees? Fair enough Brewster had a decent 6 months under his belt at Swansea but it shouldn’t explain the gulf in fee in my mind. We’re in danger of having our pants down twice. The people behind our transfers perhaps need moving on. This close season has been a complete shambles, both in terms of the dealings in and out of the club.

We turned down approaches for Jebbison. Did we actually give any consideration to a five million fee?

Not delivering YET I would say….there are signs that many are returning towards their better displays….4 games ago Fleck was finished and needed hounding out according to some fans!!
But there are signs some confidence is coming back allied to them getting used to a new manager and the addition of a few fresh faces.

As for what we could have done…any one may have worked but as you say the chances were slim for all of them. If I’m honest I just think we were too big a project to keep up past the first season and should have probably in hindsight accepted that and spent accordingly.

Still confident he'll turn good with Slav at the helm, he just needs one to go in off his backside and suddenly all those shots down the keepers throat will be either side and straight in. Of all the strikers we've had in my 20 years of watching I can't remember many if any that have such a powerful shot from a near-standing start and is happy to shoot through defenders. His time will come!
Didsy is quoted as saying he’s not seen a better finisher at 20 than Brewster.
As impressive as that is,being able to welly the ball is only one aspect of being a striker.
Jimmy Greaves (what a player!)wellied the fuck out of some goals but had the poise to pass it into the net on many many more occasions.
Ronaldo can welly the ball as we’ve all seen but look how many tap ins he gets by reading the game or following up a strike that a keeper spills…shit loads. He also misses chances,he misses more than Brewster but he makes sure he gets plenty more chances in a game by being switched on.
Brewster is not switched on,yes he can thump a ball but as Klopp warned us of before he took the money,other aspects of his game are not there yet.
I saw more potential in Jebbisson in his brief appearances simply because he was ‘switched on‘ than what I’ve seen from Brewster.
The clock is ticking for Brewster but we can’t afford to train him on the job as I believe this is a decade defining season for the Blades.

Didsy is quoted as saying he’s not seen a better finisher at 20 than Brewster.
As impressive as that is,being able to welly the ball is only one aspect of being a striker.
Jimmy Greaves (what a player!)wellied the fuck out of some goals but had the poise to pass it into the net on many many more occasions.
Ronaldo can welly the ball as we’ve all seen but look how many tap ins he gets by reading the game or following up a strike that a keeper spills…shit loads. He also misses chances,he misses more than Brewster but he makes sure he gets plenty more chances in a game by being switched on.
Brewster is not switched on,yes he can thump a ball but as Klopp warned us of before he took the money,other aspects of his game are not there yet.
I saw more potential in Jebbisson in his brief appearances simply because he was ‘switched on‘ than what I’ve seen from Brewster.
The clock is ticking for Brewster but we can’t afford to train him on the job as I believe this is a decade defining season for the Blades.
A lot of good

Back
Top Bottom