BILLY Could He…No…Maybe?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

originaltrueblade

Reaction score
Could Billy Sharp return on a pay per game after all we are very light up front at the mo

Just gauging opinion

Would take a reversal of the Prince and boards decision to do so. Can't see it.
Up to Hecky he'd have him in by sounds of it, but it's clearly not.

I was up for keeping him for his experience and dressing room influence etc.
However we do need to be getting in more up front for the now and future. Sharps seasons are obv numbered now.

However we do need to be getting in more up front for the now and future. Sharps seasons are obv numbered now.
Be an asset in the dressing room maybe a sub to help us get through some games. Rotherham withdrew the offer to Billy I hear because he hadn’t made his mind up so you never know

Who was the last player to have a pay per game contract? Think if we live Billy enough we should just let him go, deserves a 12/24 month contract somewhere and he won’t get that here as sad as that is

He'd be a guaranteed starter in less than 2 weeks time.

Reactions: Dkc
I got the impression from the Hecky interview that he would love to have King Billy on the coaching team but that he can't give him a players contract (as instructed by the board) so he will stay in contact with him and see what happens. I could see Billy doing a season or two away before coming back to join the management team in some capacity probably as a coach of some kind. I'd welcome this if it was to happen.

Billy showed last season he wasn't even average Championship standard.
Great attitude and leadership, think he'll be an asset in league 1.

To suggest we might gives minutes in the Premier League would spoil his legacy.

Absolutely. He's at the very end of his career, who else we want up front fighting for scraps with a nothing chance? Must be a big confidence knocker.

Johnny Evans signed for Manchester United on a one month contract to cover for them for a couple of games, and he is only 2 years younger than Sharp is.

I would have no problem with him having the same to see us through until the end of the transfer window.

Johnny Evans signed for Manchester United on a one month contract to cover for them for a couple of games, and he is only 2 years younger than Sharp is.

I would have no problem with him having the same to see us through until the end of the transfer window.
Tbh he's been a Leicester first team regular (barring some injuries) for the last few years in the premier league whereas Sharp spent most of last season on the bench.

Absoloute no way should we be signing sharp

Tbh he's been a Leicester first team regular (barring some injuries) for the last few years in the premier league whereas Sharp spent most of last season on the bench.

Yeah it's not quite the same, perhaps a better comparison would be when Henry signed for Arsenal on loan

Billy did nothing of note in two seasons in the Premier League. Sadly for him he's very much what I call a Darren Huckerby. Way too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Premier League. Sadly last season he proved to no longer be good enough in the Championship. It's all well and good signing him short term to come off the bench. He spent most of last season coming off the bench and having little to no impact. He's gone. He's a legend. Move on.

perhaps a better comparison would be when Henry signed for Arsenal on loan
Hi Stegosaurus here

Perhaps not because your talking about Thierry Henry, one of the Premier Leagues best ever strikers, versus Billy Sharp

Hi Stegosaurus here

Perhaps not because your talking about Thierry Henry, one of the Premier Leagues best ever strikers, versus Billy Sharp

As you know, everything is relative.

Henrik Larson is another example of a striker past his prime having a positive short term impact when he played for Manchester United for a couple of months.

Sharp could do the same for us is all I am saying. He'd be good for morale and would help fill in up front while we recruit/get players back to fitness.

The level of disrespect rears its ugly head again.

I don’t want Sharp back, but for reasons of it would be better for Sharp to be more of a “star” at a club a bit lower down the pyramid than be a bit part “player” for SUFC in 2023. We as a club and as fans should be a wee bit more respectful of that !!!

HOWEVER.

When the Management and recruitment teams put together their wish list of things required in order to pass the various due diligence tests, such as :-

Character
Work ethic
Dedication to the team cause
A good leader
No shortage of overall ability to do the job on the pitch

How many of these do you think Sharp would tick ?

In fact how many of these do we know FOR SURE Sharp would tick ?

The cherry on the bun is knowing that he is entwined into the DNA of the club, knows it inside and out, and would slot back in seamlessly.

As I’ve said, for the PLAYERS sake, I don’t want this to happen.

But stranger things have !!!

UTB

Ps - when it boils down to it, he would be fighting for a shirt with Oli Mc as things stand. I would back him to win this battle and I’d be gobsmacked if Sharp would not back himself as well.

He's probably my favourite ever Blade, but I'm more on the 'No' side of this argument.

On recent evidence, there's nothing to suggest he will contribute any more than Jebbison, et al. I'd rather we give the young ones a game and get the same output, but a greater long-term return.

Absolutely not.

He's been great but he is in decline.

He gives away too many free kicks for silly fouls and he's offside more often than he's onside these days which all points to him trying to compensate for having lost a yard of pace.

Unfortunately whatever the question is today the answer isn't Billy Sharp.

He needs to do himself a favour, retire gracefully and reflect on a great career that most Blades can only dream off.

Maybe he should have a word with Stuart Broad.

No, because he deserves happiness.

Far away from the bellends that form the bulk of this club.

I'd love to see Billy Sharp back, in his prime and banging goals in for fun. However, as we can't go and fire up the Tardis to get him from 10 years ago, it isn't a serious option. I've no doubt his contribution off the field would be immense, but it's on the field where we need a goalscorer.

Billy's time as a Sheffield United player is over. Just be glad we had him when we did.

Back
Top Bottom