Billy Sharp’s Leadership!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Charlieblade

Reaction score
Billy is well known for his goal scoring and on field abilities, but I do wonder if the club is missing some of the off field support he gave to players, their families, and the blades community as a whole.

I watched Hecky’s pre match presser and his response when questioned about the current captaincy issue surprised me.
He said that he needed 11 leaders on the field and the choice of captain wasn’t such a big issue.

We got used to Billy doing most of his off field work, especially last year when he wasn’t always starting. The players and their families felt welcomed and loved from the moment they arrived, and Billy always followed up on that, with players, families and the local community.

We have some good players at the lane, but why haven’t they shown that unity and returned that care in their play?

Did Billy make such a big difference, or are we missing something else? I would be pleased to learn of any dits or anecdotes regarding the big man. What were the things he did, above and beyond what we now take for granted?

It is missed like a rudder on a ship!!
Infact, the hole hes left, is like the one the Titanic had!!!

Oh, fost!

It's literally impossible for us to answer your question about how much had an influence on things behind the scenes. Pretty much all we see are what's on the pitch

No point in even speculating on it

It's literally impossible for us to answer your question about how much had an influence on things behind the scenes. Pretty much all we see are what's on the pitch

No point in even speculating on it
My apologies for speculating on the possible contribution we might be missing. Do you only miss his goals?

some of the off field support he gave to players, their families, and the blades community as a whole.

The players and their families felt welcomed and loved from the moment they arrived, and Billy always followed up on that, with players, families and the local community.

I would be pleased to learn of any dits or anecdotes regarding the big man. What were the things he did, above and beyond what we now take for granted?

So do you know or not? 😅

I do know that in general his off field activities were much appreciated by all concerned. I am interested in other blades thoughts and stories on the issue.

It may be a contributory factor in the strong and positive dressing room ethos that he left behind?

Billy is well known for his goal scoring and on field abilities, but I do wonder if the club is missing some of the off field support he gave to players, their families, and the blades community as a whole.

I watched Hecky’s pre match presser and his response when questioned about the current captaincy issue surprised me.
He said that he needed 11 leaders on the field and the choice of captain wasn’t such a big issue.

We got used to Billy doing most of his off field work, especially last year when he wasn’t always starting. The players and their families felt welcomed and loved from the moment they arrived, and Billy always followed up on that, with players, families and the local community.

We have some good players at the lane, but why haven’t they shown that unity and returned that care in their play?

Did Billy make such a big difference, or are we missing something else? I would be pleased to learn of any dits or anecdotes regarding the big man. What were the things he did, above and beyond what we now take for granted?
Did he ?

Open to interpretation !

Are we missing ……?

Oh god yeah. Ability, application and athleticism throughout the squad ! Not sure Bill is / was the solution here.

UTB

Did he ?

Open to interpretation !

Are we missing ……?

Oh god yeah. Ability, application and athleticism throughout the squad ! Not sure Bill is / was the solution here.

UTB
You have no comment to make about the off field contributions made by Sharp? Thanks for your input. 😊

Top ten Captains.

Stancliffe.
Sharp.
Jones.
Sensible..
Beefheart.
& Tenille.
Pugwash.
Kirk.
Smith.
Kremmen.
Cook.

Top ten Captains.

Stancliffe.
Sharp.
Jones.
Sensible..
Beefheart.
& Tenille.
Pugwash.
Kirk.
Smith.
Kremmen.
Cook.

That's our starting eleven for Man Utd sorted! We should add Birdseye and Jacky Long Sparrow to the bench to cover us against the inevitable long term injury with no end in sight.

That's our starting eleven for Man Utd sorted! We should add Birdseye and Jacky Long Sparrow to the bench to cover us against the inevitable long term injury with no end in sight.

Birdseye leaping like a salmon at the back post, bullet header..

Goalie no chance!

Attachments

• Polish_20231021_073437383.jpg
    Polish_20231021_073437383.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 10
You have no comment to make about the off field contributions made by Sharp? Thanks for your input. 😊
I believe it is well known on ere that I have had a high regard for Sharps overall contribution on and off the field in his 3rd spell at the club. Not just the goals. He had become a much more rounded CF and a particularly good “target” man for a man of his height. Strong as an oxe 😃. Not giving him that last year was a mistake.

That said, even the qualities I have described above would, IMHO, have led to a different outcome to the season than what I believe is inevitable. We are woefully short in many areas of the pitch and as far as I am aware Sharp does not own a magic wand !

A £20m net spend in the PL is almost embarrassing for a newly promoted side. Losing your 2 best players from the season before compounds this even further.

The die was / is cast and there is nothing that even the greatest captain on the planet (whomever that might be) could have done about that.

UTB

We're undoubtedly missing Billy's leadership and presence but we also shouldn't underestimate the loss of JOC and Enda. Big characters in that dressing room.

Not to mention the loss of Iliman and Sander. People are also underestimating the effect losing Sander has had on us. He was revered for his ability by the other players and was a one of the most popular people in the dressing room. Plus he fully bought into the club and got what it was to be a Sheffield United player. I haven't seen much evidence of that from the new arrivals.

Completely agree. He bled Sheffield United and wouldn't have been the worst decision to offer him a coaching role this season. But fair play to him he still has a desire to play.

Even though he would rarely play this season I often wonder if his spirit and passion would have made a massive difference this season.

We're undoubtedly missing Billy's leadership and presence but we also shouldn't underestimate the loss of JOC and Enda. Big characters in that dressing room.

Not to mention the loss of Iliman and Sander. People are also underestimating the effect losing Sander has had on us. He was revered for his ability by the other players and was a one of the most popular people in the dressing room. Plus he fully bought into the club and got what it was to be a Sheffield United player. I haven't seen much evidence of that from the new arrivals.
Your thoughts reflect my feelings about Sharp’s off field contributions. Stevens and O’Connel were also missed. It’s the little things that count for Sharp’s contributions. Making sure that players, and their families were properly settled and happy, because he expected full commitment from them in the dressing room and on the pitch.
He set the highest possible standards, and expected the same from everyone. Each in his own way, because everyone is different
I’m not sure this was part of the remit given by Wider, or Billy was given the arm band because he did what came naturally to him.

We now face a situation where we have 10 new arrivals, most of them from overseas backgrounds. My feeling is that on field exploits aside, Billy was the one who pushed players, because he knew the system took care of the off field family stuff, because he was the main driver for that.
Capably assisted by other senior pros at the club, Billy led a very high standard of togetherness among players at the club.
It doesn’t matter what he did was directed or off his own bat. We and the team are missing it now. There are quality players at the club, but if their wives/partners are not happy or their kids hate the schools, or moan about baby care, who is looking after them when they need it most?

I acknowledge his football contribution in the op, but I suspect he was more n just a top finisher. The likes of Sharp, Basham, Stevens and O’Connel were his co conspirators, but they have moved on, and the leader of all the background work has gone.

Anyone disagree or care to prove me wrong?

I believe it is well known on ere that I have had a high regard for Sharps overall contribution on and off the field in his 3rd spell at the club. Not just the goals. He had become a much more rounded CF and a particularly good “target” man for a man of his height. Strong as an oxe 😃. Not giving him that last year was a mistake.

That said, even the qualities I have described above would, IMHO, have led to a different outcome to the season than what I believe is inevitable. We are woefully short in many areas of the pitch and as far as I am aware Sharp does not own a magic wand !

A £20m net spend in the PL is almost embarrassing for a newly promoted side. Losing your 2 best players from the season before compounds this even further.

The die was / is cast and there is nothing that even the greatest captain on the planet (whomever that might be) could have done about that.

UTB
No disagreement from me on the qualities that Sharp brought as a player, and a Captain.

Completely agree. He bled Sheffield United and wouldn't have been the worst decision to offer him a coaching role this season. But fair play to him he still has a desire to play.

Even though he would rarely play this season I often wonder if his spirit and passion would have made a massive difference this season.
Agreed on his contributions and future employment, even if he does still want to play and score goals.
His loyalty and passion for the blades will never diminish IMHO.

Maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread but imo Sharp was made captain to get the fans on board. We had alot bigger leaders in that squad than Sharp. If he wasn't a Blade no way does he be our captain. It wasn't long ago he was slating one of our young lads for having the cheek to have a shot instead of passing to him. This mentality is what made him so prolific through his career but hardly screams captain material.

Maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread but imo Sharp was made captain to get the fans on board. We had alot bigger leaders in that squad than Sharp. If he wasn't a Blade no way does he be our captain. It wasn't long ago he was slating one of our young lads for having the cheek to have a shot instead of passing to him. This mentality is what made him so prolific through his career but hardly screams captain material.
A very interesting alternate point of view. I’ve not come across that one before. TBF Billy was a very good finisher, and he is well known for his off field work as well.

Given his public statement following the Wrexham game, he is also well known for being outspoken too. ;)

Bad temper or just passionate?

Back
Top Bottom