Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Taking your red and white Sheff Utd spectacles off then of course the team and league has a massive effect on player development.
This explains why Man City want McAtee and Doyle to play games in the Championship at Sheff Utd.

Regards Norway, they've recently had 3 top young talents.
Haaland has been developing in the German top flight playing regular Champions League with Borrusia Dortmund
Odegard has been developing in the Spanish top flight at Real Madrid (hardly played) but is now a regular at Arsenal in the Premier League
Berge has been developing at Bruges in the Belgian top flight with rumours he'll join a big club in a major league.

So imagine if you were manager of Norway and was following the career paths of these 3 players.

Your immediate reaction would be "why is Berge wasting his time playing in the English 2nd tier"
and "Berge ideally needs to be playing regularly in the Champions League"
or at least "playing at a top class club training with top international players"

The whole point of joining Sheff United was to put him in the shop window so he could end up playing for a champions league level club
so their manager will be disappointed that he's hardly progressed, still plenty of time as he's still young.
Apart from all that. He's still a twat 🙄

The Yaya Norway nickname is very apt. Like Yaya he strides past people whilst making it look like he’s casual at half pace
I think "languid" is the word. He runs like he can't be arsed to run, but his height and athleticism means he's actually shifting at quite a pace.

I think the way berge actually runs is to our benefit, opposition players don't know what to do.
He can be fast and has very deceptive footwork.

Agree....his running style and large stride pattern creates a kind of optical illusion.
As mentioned earlier Ya Ya Toure was the same, he also looked slow and languid but used to easily go past players.

Agree....his running style and large stride pattern creates a kind of optical illusion.
As mentioned earlier Ya Ya Toure was the same, he also looked slow and languid but used to easily go past players.

It’s this. When an average height player runs at pace you have it confirmed in your conscious bias that they’re moving fast as their body and legs are visually working hard.

With a taller player they move quicker due to having a larger stride pattern, so look like they’re not really trying.

TLDR version, Sander will always look like he’s not trying because of his height (but he is).

He does have a unique technique when entering the box. He appears to almost leave the ball behind him and then shift it with one large touch, and the fact that he's so big means players, even players faster than him, simply can't see the ball.

The Hull goal was a good example but he does this pretty much every game now, his massive frame basically hides the ball from sight!

He does have a unique technique when entering the box. He appears to almost leave the ball behind him and then shift it with one large touch, and the fact that he's so big means players, even players faster than him, simply can't see the ball.

The Hull goal was a good example but he does this pretty much every game now, his massive frame basically hides the ball from sight!

Great observation. Spot on.

Bergen Blade is there ever any talk of Solbakken getting fired?

Whilst he hasn’t ingratiated himself to us Blades, even impartially 36th ranked globally losing to 65th ranked Slovenia is pretty poor.

It’s worse when you consider he has the riches of Haaland, Berge, Sørloth, Ødegaard, Elyounoussi, Thorstvedt, Strand Larsen, Ayer, Ostigard, Thorsby etc all playing top-flight football in good leagues.

Doesn’t the Norwegian public recognise this could be a golden generation and he should be doing far better with it?

Bergen Blade is there ever any talk of Solbakken getting fired?

Whilst he hasn’t ingratiated himself to us Blades, even impartially 36th ranked globally losing to 65th ranked Slovenia is pretty poor.

It’s worse when you consider he has the riches of Haaland, Berge, Sørloth, Ødegaard, Elyounoussi, Thorstvedt, Strand Larsen, Ayer, Ostigard, Thorsby etc all playing top-flight football in good leagues.

Doesn’t the Norwegian public recognise this could be a golden generation and he should be doing far better with it?

No. The Norwegian FA are normally very patient and they waited a long while for Solbakken to become available. If we beat Serbia we'll be top of our NL group, in a group where there are nations who have qualified for more tournaments than us the past couple of decades.

The Slovenia match was disappointing, but a lot of the blame has gone to the goalkeeper error for the second goal. Nyland is still without a club, but like Olsen for Sweden, he'd usually done well for Norway.

If I was Solbakken I'd play Aursnes in the holding role, Berge RCM and Ødegaard LCM. It moves the main playmaker out of his favoured position, but if Berge can make the sort of attacking runs he does for United, it could give us a bit of what was lacking vs Slovenia. I'd drop Nyland too.

Great observation. Spot on.
Not only that, but he over ran the ball in the box for the cross for McBurnie’s goal at Preston. Lunging his long leg out he still managed to get to the ball just before the defender and direct it across to Ollie. Settled the points in that one move.

Reactions: Dkc

Berge had a mare tonight. Started as LCM and looked uncomfortable, cumbersome and awkward from the start. Although it's roughly the same role as he has at the Lane it makes such a difference when he's on the wrong side. If he'd been on the right I think he'd found himself in positions that have seen him build his confidence at the Lane. There were a couple of times when he, almost in despair I thought, made runs across to his familiar right and he found more space immediately. Norway had to reorganise and changed formations several times, but Berge was never moved to the right. He gave the ball away before their second goal.

At the end he did have a couple of runs and he did play Haaland through on goal, but overall he'll be singled out for criticism after that. He looked absolutely knackered at the end.

I was impressed by Serbia. They were in our faces from the start and Norway never got going. Big, strong athletic lads who played with enthusiasm and movement.

I'd tone down the talk of Norway's "golden generation". Norway have some decent players, but also many players who struggle when they are being forced to do stuff that isn't their strength.

Berge had a mare tonight. Started as LCM and looked uncomfortable, cumbersome and awkward from the start. Although it's roughly the same role as he has at the Lane it makes such a difference when he's on the wrong side. If he'd been on the right I think he'd found himself in positions that have seen him build his confidence at the Lane. There were a couple of times when he, almost in despair I thought, made runs across to his familiar right and he found more space immediately. Norway had to reorganise and changed formations several times, but Berge was never moved to the right. He gave the ball away before their second goal.

At the end he did have a couple of runs and he did play Haaland through on goal, but overall he'll be singled out for criticism after that. He looked absolutely knackered at the end.

I was impressed by Serbia. They were in our faces from the start and Norway never got going. Big, strong athletic lads who played with enthusiasm and movement.

I'd tone down the talk of Norway's "golden generation". Norway have some decent players, but also many players who struggle when they are being forced to do stuff that isn't their strength.
Sofa score ratings had Berge as Norway's joint best player. I only watched about 29 minutes but Sander looked awkward, but so would any player playing a deep left midfield role when they are a right sided number 10. He played a great ball through to Haaland near the end, unsurprisingly from a right/central position.

Anyone with any sense would see that Haaland with Odegaard and Berge behind him would make an incredible front three.

Your manager is shite and ill stick by this always mate.

I don't like the fact that he's played two lots of 90 minutes but it's their prerogative.

It's a shame he's getting stick when he's being picked in the wrong position repeatedly.

Glad he'll be back at the Lane where hell get some love.

Stuck at Sheffield United? Cheeky fucker.

The PL suitors will probably pay some attention to his international performances, so in a way this is music to my ears.

Personally, I just hope he comes back without an injury.

Versatility if both role and style is, in my opinion what definesthe difference between excellent Championship players and comfortable PL ones.

Sofa score ratings had Berge as Norway's joint best player. I only watched about 29 minutes but Sander looked awkward, but so would any player playing a deep left midfield role when they are a right sided number 10. He played a great ball through to Haaland near the end, unsurprisingly from a right/central position.

Anyone with any sense would see that Haaland with Odegaard and Berge behind him would make an incredible front three.
Your suggestion is not a bad one.

One point to consider though, would we get the ball to them? Serbia's high pressure meant that Norway either risked losing the ball in their own half, or had to knock it long. Would that improve if you took the normally composed Berge and Ødegaard out of midfield?

Also, Berge has 1 goal for Norway in 30 games. Ødegaard 2 in 45. Without goal scorers there's a lot of pressure on Haaland. Teams would say mark Haaland at all times and Norway won't score. Yesterday Norway had Elyounoussi (9 in 47) and Sørloth (15 in 44) backing up Haaland. Both are currently regulars in Premiership and LaLiga. I think it's understandable to want them included, and hopefully getting a performance from Berge and Ødegaard in midfield with the Benfica player Aursnes behind them.

And a lot of people won't agree with moving Arsenal and Norway captain and main playmaker Ødegaard away from his favoured role just to get second tier player and yesterday's worst performer Berge included in his favoured role. But, having seen the last few games for Norway and also how he plays for us, it's time for Solbakken to either play Berge RCM or not at all.

Wife told me It was Club Brugge who tried to buy him, chelsea tried to get him on loan in the window but we refused to let him leave. He is seemingly running down his contract so we need some success soon or we may have to sell to recoup some of his value

Berge isn't flexible enough to play on the left. He won't take the ball onto his left foot. And that's a bigger problem when you're as large framed and long legged as he is. It's his main weakness for me

negative comments about Sander will
Mean less clubs will be interested in him so that’s to our benefit because we know he’s a quality player when he’s played in the right position

It’s this. When an average height player runs at pace you have it confirmed in your conscious bias that they’re moving fast as their body and legs are visually working hard.

With a taller player they move quicker due to having a larger stride pattern, so look like they’re not really trying.

TLDR version, Sander will always look like he’s not trying because of his height (but he is).
Very true, if you look at athletics for example. Carl Lewis had a brilliant technique and combined with his long legs and fluid style.he didnt look like he was going as quick as.say Ben Johnson (drugged I know) who was a smaller powerhouse

I don't see any benefit to us in loaning him to Chelsea. He's worth more playing. We obviously want back at least what we paid or close which I think is a good stance to take. If he ends up leaving for nothing then so be it but I don't see that happening. Someone will come in and pay what we're after if his performances keep up. Good incentive for him to carry on putting the effort in

Back
Top Bottom