CONFIRMED Ben Davies signs on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We need to replace Robinson asap. Listened to the blades podcast over the weekend and they hit the nail on the head, our overlapping strategy just doesnt happen on that side anymore. This could be a reason for Stevens poor form too.
While I'd prefer a central defender, I still think there's legs in Stevens at LCB and Lowe at LWB - he's played there before and looked goo. Obviously we still need someone to cover at least one of those positions. Pity Kongolo is crocked at the moment.

The second option is a goer Houso, I'd prefer tha option with any money available put towards a creative midfielder

While I'd prefer a central defender, I still think there's legs in Stevens at LCB and Lowe at LWB - he's played there before and looked goo. Obviously we still need someone to cover at least one of those positions. Pity Kongolo is crocked at the moment.

In normal times I'd agree with you, but Stevens looks gassed to me. We're also being done in the air every week, so we need more presence in that back 3 than our current options provide us.

100% this would be my choice moving forward. Robinson doesn't cut it at this standard, I honestly don't think he cuts it in a team at the top end championship either.

100% this would be my choice moving forward. Robinson doesn't cut it at this standard, I honestly don't think he cuts it in a team at the top end championship either.
Robinson is an 100% grafter kind of player who doesn’t do much wrong but doesn’t offer enough quality for a Prem team, I agree, I do think he’s more than capable for anyone in the Championship though.

Unfortunately, it seems that Wilder really rates him and looks to be going down the route of 100% grafters over quality in one or two positions, this must change if we are to stay in this league beyond this season.

In short, Robinson isn’t bad at all, he just isn’t good enough at the level.

Bit of a random pointless statement but Robinson is so close to being brilliant. He has a huge heart, wins balls, reads the game, puts in crunchibg tackles, bombs forward, wins headers, has a long throw, gets on the end of corners...its just not enough.
I feel bad for him because it has nothing to do with effort, but I dont think he will ever fill that last 10% that will make him Premiwrship level.

Unfortunately, it seems that Wilder really rates him and looks to be going down the route of 100% grafters over quality in one or two positions, this must change if we are to stay in this league beyond this season.

Yep, and add Osborn to that list too coupled with poor form of Stevens/Fleck and lunny, we do have an issue.

The grafting performances show in we aren't getting stuffed but creating very little also as we're having to graft too much.

Something has to change and quickly.

This league is bonkers at the moment and it really wouldn't surprise me to get 3 results in the next 4 games, even if there are 3 biggies coming up.

UTB

Bit of a random pointless statement but Robinson is so close to being brilliant. He has a huge heart, wins balls, reads the game, puts in crunchibg tackles, bombs forward, wins headers, has a long throw, gets on the end of corners...its just not enough.
I feel bad for him because it has nothing to do with effort, but I dont think he will ever fill that last 10% that will make him Premiwrship level.

Similar attributes to JOC but doesn't have the presence he has. Also, he is reluctant to get forward as often as JOC would.

Think this is the best option by a long shot. We are desperate for the attacking nature of O’Connell and Steven’s offers that. He played a couple of games there in the Championship for us didn’t he?

Think this is the best option by a long shot. We are desperate for the attacking nature of O’Connell and Steven’s offers that. He played a couple of games there in the Championship for us didn’t he?
Played there at the Hawthorns and at home v someone. If not more than those two. Yeah it worked well even though LWB was Marvin Johnson... Actually maybe Dowell was LWB by then.

Played there at the Hawthorns and at home v someone. If not more than those two. Yeah it worked well even though LWB was Marvin Johnson... Actually maybe Dowell was LWB by then.
Think I'd prefer this.

We still have Robinson and Osborn plus there are other right footed centre backs if we end up down to the bare bones.

Think I'd prefer this.

We still have Robinson and Osborn plus there are other right footed centre backs if we end up down to the bare bones.
I think I might too. Enda may not be a centre back, but he's still a better centre back than most of the actual centre backs in the Premier League...!

And he'll be great getting forward.
Similarly I've often thought Baldock might actually be Bash's long term successor at RCB.

In our system, Stevens doesn’t have to have the full attributes of a centre half that plays in a two. I think this would liven him him up a bit and get Lowe into the team at LWB. I’d go Bogle RCM too if we can’t get creative reinforcements.

So after the Wolves goal from a corner when Enda didn't jump and the Villa goal when Enda didn't mark his man, a lot on here want him moving to centre-back?
True, but the other choices are not great either.

So after the Wolves goal from a corner when Enda didn't jump and the Villa goal when Enda didn't mark his man, a lot on here want him moving to centre-back?

As I’ve said in another thread, it’s very different sticking Stevens at LCB when both he and his teammates are at the top of their games – something else entirely when confidence has taken a hit and Stevens himself is one of the poorer performers currently. I actually think it’s very unrealistic to expect him to do any better currently than Robinson is doing, and I don’t think Wilder is likely to do it.

As I’ve said in another thread, it’s very different sticking Stevens at LCB when both he and his teammates are at the top of their games – something else entirely when confidence has taken a hit and Stevens himself is one of the poorer performers currently. I actually think it’s very unrealistic to expect him to do any better currently than Robinson is doing, and I don’t think Wilder is likely to do it.
It's true, he's most off form so it would seem a bit wild right now.

It's true, he's most off form so it would seem a bit wild right now.
It's not only the attacking side of overlapping centre backs, we need more height and dominance at set pieces or crosses .O'Connell gave us that ,we are short now so hopefully Wilder will be bringing one in.

JoC's form has been inconsistent all year so an upgrade shouldn't be the problem its made out to be.

It would be negligent of the Board not to provide funds to bring in a LCB before the deadline. There has to be a contingency fund built into the budget where a player gets injured for the season surely? I really hope despite the lack of information we are actively pursuing options.

Robinson is not the answer IMO he's a trier but in reality is a converted full back trying to play centre back. He doesn't have the aerial capability or physique to play LCB but even if we persist with him what happens should he get injured?

Stevens is not the answer he's the same as Robinson and needs to find his form out at LWB where he at least looked better in the recent internationals. CW knows we need a replacement for JOC he has said we can't rely solely on Robinson and he seems reluctant to play a right footed player there understandably so if he continues with overlapping centre backs. Its not happening down the left at the moment going forward not helped by Flecks loss of form. Even if we bring in a replacement they will have to get used to the system unless they are already playing as an overlapping centre back. Step forward the oven ready replacement Jake Cooper.

It would be negligent of the Board not to provide funds to bring in a LCB before the deadline. There has to be a contingency fund built into the budget where a player gets injured for the season surely? I really hope despite the lack of information we are actively pursuing options.

Robinson is not the answer IMO he's a trier but in reality is a converted full back trying to play centre back. He doesn't have the aerial capability or physique to play LCB but even if we persist with him what happens should he get injured?

Stevens is not the answer he's the same as Robinson and needs to find his form out at LWB where he at least looked better in the recent internationals. CW knows we need a replacement for JOC he has said we can't rely solely on Robinson and he seems reluctant to play a right footed player there understandably so if he continues with overlapping centre backs. Its not happening down the left at the moment going forward not helped by Flecks loss of form. Even if we bring in a replacement they will have to get used to the system unless they are already playing as an overlapping centre back. Step forward the oven ready replacement Jake Cooper.

It's as if you've never heard of our man Kean Bryan.

Bear in mind his form there two seasons ago though:

Blades - Middlesbrough 1-0
Blades - Reading 4-0
WBA - Blades 0-1
Preston - Blades 0-1

Bear in mind his form there two seasons ago though:

Blades - Middlesbrough 1-0
Blades - Reading 4-0
WBA - Blades 0-1
Preston - Blades 0-1

We've seen the difference in physicality at this level though. Prem strikers are built bigger and move quicker.
We keep getting done in the air. Even an in form Enda isn't the answer at LCB at this level, never mind the one we have at the moment.

Your question can be answer by: Is Robinson the best option as it stands. Some of us want a change to what we have which is a none functioning left sided three of Robinson/Stevens and Osborn/Fleck.

One option, which we've used before is Stevens at LCB - it worked before but it may not work again, until it's tried again of course.

CW may not change it, but as it stands now the opinion of quite a few, Robinson/Stevens/Osborn produces very very little in terms of defensive stability or creativity down the left.

Some of us want a change left side and the Stevens (LCB), Lowe (LWB) and hopefully a better functioning Fleck (LCM) might work.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom