Awful players best game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hopefully something to keep the boredom away. Can you think of a time when a player you thought was truly shocking had a good game that almost changed your opinion of them?

My United watching time only properly started in 2004, so the one that instantly pops into my head is Tony McMahon against Crawley. Scored 2 30-yard freekicks in the same game and very nearly changed my opinion of him from awful to poor.

Can anyone think of a better example, or educate me on other players like this before my time.

Still got the video of McMahon's second free kick from behind the goal, right side. A real Xmas present was that. Top bins. From that match also:

"If you wear a yeller jacket, yer a PIG!" Because the orange jacketed stewards were less heavy handed with us.

And all the despondent Crawley fans filing out to catcalls and fire drill chants. Merry fucking Christmas. McMahon also signalled to the crowd when he scored. After that he was bobbins.

Didn't Cuvellier play quite well against Southampton in the cup too?

pommpey

Michael Twiss. Ferguson told Warnock that Twiss was the next big thing. Did nowt except the day he came on against Preston. I turned to Happy Hippy (RIP) and said "What's he sent him on for? - he couldn't hit a cow's arse" - just as he buried one into the top corner from 25 yards out with his first touch.

Last - and only - thing I ever remember him doing for us (or the Mancs) and within a couple of seasons he went to Morcombe or Fleetwood or somewhere.

Found his place as lead Donkey on the beach!

Or at least - that's how I remember it!!

Michael Twiss. Ferguson told Warnock that Twiss was the next big thing. Did nowt except the day he came on against Preston. I turned to Happy Hippy (RIP) and said "What's he sent him on for? - he couldn't hit a cow's arse" - just as he buried one into the top corner from 25 yards out with his first touch.

Think you’re a bit confused here. Twiss was signed by Bruce, true he did basically nothing all loan, and his only goal was a late winner in the home game vs Huddersfield – a scrappy one from about a yard out.

Think you’re a bit confused here. Twiss was signed by Bruce, true he did basically nothing all loan, and his only goal was a late winner in the home game vs Huddersfield – a scrappy one from about a yard out.
Is he thinking of Notman? Or however it’s spelt. We loaned him from Man U, looked like he might be decent but then kind of faded away. Think he ended up at Norwich then got injured a lot and retired.

Is he thinking of Notman? Or however it’s spelt. We loaned him from Man U, looked like he might be decent but then kind of faded away. Think he ended up at Norwich then got injured a lot and retired.

I thought of the Man United youth strikers we’ve loaned over the years, Notman was probably the least worst. He was slightly unlucky at times, played a bit like 2nd-spell Sharp, but I always thought he only needed to get one before he’d go on to get loads. I think I saw him get one in the WBA 6-0 win – he did not go on to get loads...

Terry Curran one decent game away at stoke in the cup
I've just been told a story about Terry Curran:
Remember Tony Tom's, ex Marine fitness coach?
He took the Pigs out onto the Moors, Marine style training/fitness/ team building, I think Jack Charlton was the manager.
Anyways, Curran was constantly moaning, so during the night Tom's pissed on him.
Next morning Curran wakes up wet through complaining about the rain.
"We didn't get wet" says everyone else!

Arturo Lupoli - on loan from Arsenal and 5 mins into his debut he scored in the Derby.

Don't remember anything else from his other 11 games with us.

Chris Guthrie.
Hat trick of headers v Halifax Town in a 4 2 away League cup win in 1975.

I was just gunna mention Guthrie I thought we won 4-1 but hey ho, yes started off well and just went down, down, down.

For me there’s only one winner of this thread and that’s Connor Sammon and his performance against Peterborough, my god he was shite after that game. I can’t remember how many open goals he missed but it was a lot
Ironically on the day this thread has been bumped, the Sheffield United Facebook page shared the highlights of that game.
He looked like a man possessed!!

Good finisher but looked slow and not in shape from the games I saw. You have to have a professional mindset and dedication as well as the ability. Plenty have only had the latter (step forward Mr Baxter as a prime example).

If I was Jose Baxter, not a day would go by where I didn’t look at Chris Basham and think look where he is now, and I’m better than him. You have to wonder whether Baxter knows where the blame lies though.

One day he will know exactly where the blame lies. Sadly it will be far too late

Jon Hunt in 3-0 win at home to Wolves in Sept 1999

Was that Hunt's debut? I can remember within the first five minutes of his first game, he received the ball, sidestepped an opposition player without looking and then played a Norwood-esque inch-perfect diagonal ball three-quarters of the length of the pitch that 99.99% of players would never even attempt. There was a tangible ripple of excitement in the crowd, as we realised that we had signed a player of genuine talent. Perhaps destined to be the best since Tony Currie. Three minutes later (two fouls and three misplaced passes) everything went back to normal.

I recall John Fleck doing something similar at the start of his home debut (think it was against Rochdale?), and it immediately reminded me of Jonathan Hunt's first touch, so I didn't raise my hopes.

Paul Richardson away at Peterborough division 4. 1982, we won 4 - 0.
Never a favourite wasn't Richo. Took care of business in midfield that night though.
Was just about to post the very same! We groaned when we learned he was in the team, for such an important game as well, but he excelled that night and we were tooting our car horns all the way back down the A1!

Not read all the posts but I nominate John Cofie in the pre-season friendly at Rotherham.
What a goal!
What a player!

What? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom