Awful players best game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Joey1889

Reaction score
Somewhere between Sheffield, Rotherham and Chez
Hopefully something to keep the boredom away. Can you think of a time when a player you thought was truly shocking had a good game that almost changed your opinion of them?

My United watching time only properly started in 2004, so the one that instantly pops into my head is Tony McMahon against Crawley. Scored 2 30-yard freekicks in the same game and very nearly changed my opinion of him from awful to poor.

Can anyone think of a better example, or educate me on other players like this before my time.

Jay Mceveley had his best game at Old Trafford in the fa cup, I never before & never again did I see him have such a solid defensive display so much so I thought the real mceveley had been held hostage on the coach. because how can you look decent v Rooney, Mata & Martial but absolutely useless v league 1 opposition

Dean Hammond was actually quite good for 90 minutes in the backs-to-the-wall effort at Old Trafford. He then slightly ruined that by giving away the penalty in injury time.

Jay Mceveley had his best game at Old Trafford in the fa cup, I never before & never again did I see him have such a solid defensive display so much so I thought the real mceveley had been held hostage on the coach. because how can you look decent v Rooney, Mata & Martial but absolutely useless v league 1 opposition
He was our captain as well. What was Adkins smoking haha!

Remember watching Jags away at Forest in his early days with us. He played central midfield and was poor at best. Once he found his natural position at centre half he was a revelation. Good cover at right back as well.

Remember watching Jags away at Forest in his early days with us. He played central midfield and was poor at best. Once he found his natural position at centre half he was a revelation. Good cover at right back as well.
Poor is a bit of a daft shout

He got in the Championship team of the year in centre mid when we got promoted

Richard Cadette vs Dingles 198?... One of Dave Bassett's first games and he'd brought in Tony Agana. Linked up with a one-two for Agana to score (debut i think)
and it looked as though Cadette was finally going to be a good player, got a strike partner.
We will never know though. Harry replaced him with a clumsy gangling yoof called Deano, Deanesy or summert.
Only in S2

He was poor at Forest.
"He played central midfield and was poor at best. Once he found his natural position at centre half he was a revelation. "

Also, the thread was 'Awful players best games' - not 'Best players most awful game' so I'm really confused as to what angle you were coming at this from

Conor Sammon away at Peterborough. 2 goals and decent performance.

Jose Baxter vs Spurs. Actually made an effort.

One of the few away games I've been to in recent years. Two decent finishes and played really well. Made me think we were on to something with him but it didn't last long.

I'm trying to remember who we were playing but Ian Hamilton. I remember him being terrible bar one game where he absolutely ran the show.

"He played central midfield and was poor at best. Once he found his natural position at centre half he was a revelation. "

Also, the thread was 'Awful players best games' - not 'Best players most awful game' so I'm really confused as to what angle you were coming at this from
Well spotted. He was poor at Forest.

Feel like Mark McNulty was brilliant against QPR in the FA Cup in 2015 (3-0 away win for the Blades), playing up front on his own against Rio Ferdinand. Not sure if I just had low expectations of him though.

Feel like Mark McNulty was brilliant against QPR in the FA Cup in 2015 (3-0 away win for the Blades), playing up front on his own against Rio Ferdinand. Not sure if I just had low expectations of him though.
He was great that day, as were a few others, namely JCR. I don't think McNulty was as bad as people made out, I definitely wouldn't say he was awful. He just wasn't going to play ahead of Sharp, and playing them both together wouldn't have made sense.

Back
Top Bottom