"As you were" for the next manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why would anyone tell Nathan H anything about how the club intends to operate in the future?
Mmm because maybe they want the truth to get out there? Maybe because lots of people assume that the next manager will have to work under a DoF and that's not the case?

Why wouldn't they tell a local reporter something like this?

Mmm because maybe they want the truth to get out there? Maybe because lots of people assume that the next manager will have to work under a DoF and that's not the case?

Why would they tell a local reporter something that will infuriate the fanbase even more?

Very very odd indeed. Maybe its another hint of it being Howe as (correct me if I'm wrong) he did not work with DoF at Bmuff. He worked with a Recruitment analyst that worked with a head domestic scout and a head foreign scout who would draft the lists of targets before talking to the manager.
Sense that, in my mind.
Manager has list of positions and the players he would prefer. Any scouting staff say what about these ? some of which may be the same players. Or recommend
players for scrutiny
Work it out between them, see how the money situation stands and get on with it.

Why would they tell a local reporter something that will infuriate the fanbase even more?
Because if it's true it starts gently putting that message out there, so people aren't shocked when it's the case?

I'm not just pulling this out of my arse, I do have the great fortune of working in PR.

Because if it's true it starts gently putting that message out there, so people aren't shocked when it's the case?

I'm not just pulling this out of my arse, I do have the great fortune of working in PR.
I don't think "we never even wanted a DoF" is good PR though

There’s enough people on here who apparently get their information from inside the club.........,

I don't think "we never even wanted a DoF" is good PR though
It is for the board as it refutes the claim that Wilder left because the board wanted to appoint a DoF. Why did he leave ? Looking more like down to lack of backing in the market and the fact he was worried a poor start to next season harms his reputation. If the likes of Brewster/McBurnie et al dont perform in the championship that would be firmly at Wilders feet with no excuse about wages

It is for the board as it refutes the claim that Wilder left because the board wanted to appoint a DoF. Why did he leave ? Looking more like down to lack of backing in the market and the fact he was worried a poor start to next season harms his reputation. If the likes of Brewster/McBurnie et al dont perform in the championship that would be firmly at Wilders feet with no excuse about wages
Fair

tbf Hemmingham also said 2 weeks ago Wilder wouldn't be leaving despite some parts of the press saying it was close

They were very clear prior to CW leaving that we weren't looking to that model in the near future and certainly while Chris was in role.
The saving face argument has no possible grounds for being accurate, as if they were insistent on applying it to Wilder they would do it with the new guy.
DoF was never an issue.
Yeah I agree it probably suggest we are in no way in a position to transition to a DoF model and it probably strengthens the case for a club builder type of manager rather than a male do and mend type guy. So setting aside amount spent Howe did build Bournemouth and Appleton (even though I’m not in favour of him) is build Lincoln. Whereas a cooper type is doing a good job with what he’s given at Swansea.

God knows then , gets more bizarre????
only thing I can see it being then is selling players and the training ground

Wilder's plan was:

• Retain players
  • Sort the training ground
  • Bring in new players

He said that in a presser the other week. So when he said "We need to stick to the plan." that was it.

Problem is some things cost money.

Wilder's plan was:

• Retain players
  • Sort the training ground
  • Bring in new players

He said that in a presser the other week. So when he said "We need to stick to the plan." that was it.

Problem is some things cost money.
Agree , but covid , paying the rat off etc will all cut next years budget , the more I read the more I think wilder was asking too much of the prince

To be honest if that was the case I'm not a fan of this 'retain players' plan. Bar O'Connell and Fleck the rest can leave for me if a decent offer comes in.

Why do some fans see it so negatively that we might sell some players? You can move forward as a club and reinvest the money. Look at the likes of Leicester and Southampton. Also the squad isn't exactly brimming with talent. We've almost been relegated with a record points total.

To be honest if that was the case I'm not a fan of this 'retain players' plan. Bar O'Connell and Fleck the rest can leave for me if a decent offer comes in.

Why do some fans see it so negatively that we might sell some players? You can move forward as a club and reinvest the money. Look at the likes of Leicester and Southampton. Also the squad isn't exactly brimming with talent. We've almost been relegated with a record points total.
Egan , baldock , Bogle ?

I'd let Baldock go as we should get a very good fee for him and Bogle can fill that role.

Every side that goes down raises 30-50m through player sales so to expect us to be different is ridiculous. We can do that by selling Berge, Baldock and JOC when fit.

I'd let Baldock go as we should get a very good fee for him and Bogle can fill that role.

Every side that goes down raises 30-50m through player sales so to expect us to be different is ridiculous. We can do that by selling Berge, Baldock and JOC when fit.
If we can get Liverpool Arsenal and Spurs all reportedly interested bidding for Berge I think that would mean we can keep the rest

This could well be true but there are no quotes in the article from anyone. It's worth noting that no DOF makes signings either. The recruitment could change where the manager still has the final say. It just may be that the recruitment strategy is totally different and focuses more abroad.
This is it for me, I don't think a DOF has ever been mentioned by the club but it also seems clear to me that 'United World' want to have a central player recruitment model where they pick up the players and put them into the appropriate club to improve, they may then move up the pyramid of clubs as they progress. I think this would have been applied at United earlier but Wilder refused and because of the success they allowed him more control, when this season happened Wilder was put under pressure to accept the model but wouldn't.

.....or so Nathan Hemmingham is reporting: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/spor...ld-united-already-decided-management-20194705.

Very interesting one in light of all that's happened. A few thoughts...
  • So was the whole DoF thing just made up? Or are they doing this to prove a point in the face of seeming opposition to a DoF?
  • Are there any plans longer term to shift this model? If so, surely they should just implement it now?
  • Surely they will be at least looking at how we recruit? Widening the pool of targets, etc. Or was Wilder "the problem"....?
I've given up trying to second guess any of the answers to this. I honestly don't know what to think. But sharing because it's definitely interesting for our future both near and long-term.

They'll have been talking to prospective candidates and been told "I"m not interested under those conditions" by all the top candidates. Shock horror, managers want an imput into signings.

This is it for me, I don't think a DOF has ever been mentioned by the club but it also seems clear to me that 'United World' want to have a central player recruitment model where they pick up the players and put them into the appropriate club to improve, they may then move up the pyramid of clubs as they progress. I think this would have been applied at United earlier but Wilder refused and because of the success they allowed him more control, when this season happened Wilder was put under pressure to accept the model but wouldn't.
Isn’t there certain criteria players have to meet now though before they can come to play in England like so many international caps etc ?

I honestly think Wilder wanted out, he could see the writing on the wall, some of the squad has seen it's best days ( Stevens, Norwood, Sharp, McGoldrick, Jags) some have had a bad injury or are never fit (JOC, Berge, Moose) some are just not good enough ( Robinson, Lowe, Osbourn, Burke) some were very expensive and have a lot to prove (McBurnie, Brewster, Ramsdale ).

The only sure fire performers next season are Egan, Baldock and Fleck and with likely sales and not much investment he didn't want to ruin his reputation. Agreed

i think we will sell 3 release about 6 and bring another 6 in if it is howe/tindall be very interesting to see who they bring in got to be at least 3 midfielders for a kick off

He’s been tapped up.

When Wilder first joined he did strike me as someone that would move jobs very quickly if he could either improve himself or maybe get more money. He has done this in the past of course.

I always had it in the back of my mind that if a big club came calling he’d be off.

I honestly recon he’s been tapped up and designed this himself to get a payout and a new job with more money at a bigger club.

i think we will sell 3 release about 6 and bring another 6 in if it is howe/tindall be very interesting to see who they bring in got to be at least 3 midfielders for a kick off
<Awaits for Brooks to be mentioned as one>

What happens if Brewster was sold for less than we agreed to pay, do we have to stand to the difference or do we get nowt and the buying club takes on the debt.
Also could there be a clause we're we can't sell the player until we've actually paid the selling club the agreed price ?....

It was well known that Wilder had a 15 point tick sheet for potential new recruits.

All the board wanted was to alter the wording on requirement number 1;

1. Do you hate snowflakes, do-gooders and lefties? (1 mark)

Wilder negotiated his exit.

Back
Top Bottom