Are we Spain???

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great tactics once again, who needs strikers? :rolleyes:. No penetration through the middle, too much sideways passing.

I've got a great idea, lets play with two wingers putting crosses in and no strikers. Easy football isn't it? We'll definitely score that way.

Then put 2 strikers on for the last 5 minutes and try and pass it through the middle of the pitch... seems the obvious choice.

Barnsley playing all 4 midfielders relatively central completely undid our 3 man midfield today, and with Wallace not being near match fit it was effectively 4 on 2 most of the game.

Cloughie is starting to make Jose look a twat and he's my faveorite player on the pitch.
We only know we need to play a striker and the best way I can some it up is this; it's like Fergie playing Paul scholes up front while you've got McSolskjaer on the bench

Don't think McNulty would have changed anything if he started. That miss in the second half from a free header with the entire goal to aim at was disgraceful for any so-called finisher.
Scougall yet again proved that he requires a dropping to the bench, useless today. He really is a shadow of the player we all saw last season.
Baxter played well apart from a couple of misplaced passes in the second half. Couldn't fault him as he's being played out of position yet again.
McCarthy can fook off back to Palace. Never have I seen a player coming from the Premier League with as bad passing. Give Basham some time at centre back as we've all seen him playing there fairly comfortably.
So many problems with our defensive pairings this season. This wouldn't be a problem if one simple task would've been done properly. DO NOT SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS.

Don't think McNulty would have changed anything if he started. That miss in the second half from a free header with the entire goal to aim at was disgraceful for any so-called finisher.
Scougall yet again proved that he requires a dropping to the bench, useless today. He really is a shadow of the player we all saw last season.
Baxter played well apart from a couple of misplaced passes in the second half. Couldn't fault him as he's being played out of position yet again.
McCarthy can fook off back to Palace. Never have I seen a player coming from the Premier League with as bad passing. Give Basham some time at centre back as we've all seen him playing there fairly comfortably.
So many problems with our defensive pairings this season. This wouldn't be a problem if one simple task would've been done properly. DO NOT SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought Scougall was our best player. He's industrious and, when he passes, it's weighted correctly and in front of the recipient, unlike most of the others.

Must be me mellowing in old age! Thought we should have won it or at least had a point but that's football, one bit of slack marking at one end, good header, 1-0. Fast forward to t'other end, shit marking, free header, over bar (from everybodies current hero), still 1-0! Games won and lost on such fine margins.
My reflection is, we'll go on another winning run after this stutter and the wrist slashers can calm down again.
Just a shame it was against our 6 fingered neighbours.

Must be me mellowing in old age! Thought we should have won it or at least had a point but that's football, one bit of slack marking at one end, good header, 1-0. Fast forward to t'other end, shit marking, free header, over bar (from everybodies current hero), still 1-0! Games won and lost on such fine margins.
My reflection is, we'll go on another winning run after this stutter and the wrist slashers can calm down again.
Just a shame it was against our 6 fingered neighbours.

Just the sort of attitude that will see us still in Div 3 for years to come. Unacceptable today against a very poor dingles side. Too negative yet again - but that's Clough for you. He was the same at Derby who improved massively after he left.

No investment in the team and an ultra negative manager. Happy days.

The 25,000 (22,000 Blades) of us who turned up deserve so much better.

I do agree with a lot of that but I thought McEveley looked good and I think basham at centre half has been great too...
Also, starting mcnulty would have changed the game in my eyes, not just finishing the chances but closing down their defence, giving the wingers a option, and pulling their defence out of line for the likes of wallace to exploit

Couldn't disagree more. I thought Scougall was our best player. He's industrious and, when he passes, it's weighted correctly and in front of the recipient, unlike most of the others.
Not for me, if you're going to play lightweight skilfull midfielders with no striker in front of them, then they have to occasionally penetrate directly.

Constant pumping it out to the wings with no central target is, and proved, fruitless. Scougal was at fault for that, but more significantly so was he manager for letting it happen for 90 minutes.

This formation really doesn't work. Our results come from late goals, when all our initial intentions have been abandoned.

UTB

We're a poor side just lingering in a very poor league, really with just 2-3 quality players we could really move on an challenge the top two. At this pathetic canter we'll be lucky to scrape top six.

Just the sort of attitude that will see us still in Div 3 for years to come. Unacceptable today against a very poor dingles side. Too negative yet again - but that's Clough for you. He was the same at Derby who improved massively after he left.

No investment in the team and an ultra negative manager. Happy days.

The 25,000 (22,000 Blades) of us who turned up deserve so much better.
What do you mean 'attitude'? Just my view on the game. Because it doesn't coincide with yours, I have a negative attitude do I ?. Honestly...

We're a poor side just lingering in a very poor league, really with just 2-3 quality players we could really move on an challenge the top two. At this pathetic canter we'll be lucky to scrape top six.

Agreed, yuley82. I think we all know we need a striker, but who? Well I, for one, thought that Callum Wilson would almost guarantee promotion but he went to Bournemouth for £3m. Can't afford to pay that? I'd argue that we can't afford not to pay that kind of fee.

As ever today we - the supporters - have done everything asked of us. Without realistic levels of investment, 24k+ crowds will soon become a distant memory.

It's all right saying that miss was disgraceful but there's a lot better chance he'll finish it if he'd have been on from the start,Cloughy is really getting on my wick.And by the way,i couldn't give a fuck how many points were off top(not directed at you btw)it's simply too negative and we got exactly what negativity deserves,fuck all.

Not for me, if you're going to play lightweight skilfull midfielders with no striker in front of them, then they have to occasionally penetrate directly.

Constant pumping it out to the wings with no central target is, and proved, fruitless. Scougal was at fault for that, but more significantly so was he manager for letting it happen for 90 minutes.

This formation really doesn't work. Our results come from late goals, when all our initial intentions have been abandoned.

UTB
This is the reason we have to get rid of Baxter ,and before you all say he is my scapegoat ,let me explain. While ever we have him I think Clough will want to play him because Clough was that type of player and he does have ability , but we are sacrificing a striker by playing him in the side. He isn't fit , mobile or strong enough to play as one of the midfield 2 and not a striker which has been shown over the past dozen games. It isn't Baxter Im having a go at as a person or player ,but a Baxter type player is a luxury ,and that is a luxury which cant be afforded in this division. He wasn't our worst player today ,but we cant keep having to find a place and formation to fit around him.

This is the reason we have to get rid of Baxter ,and before you all say he is my scapegoat ,let me explain. While ever we have him I think Clough will want to play him because Clough was that type of player and he does have ability , but we are sacrificing a striker by playing him in the side. He isn't fit , mobile or strong enough to play as one of the midfield 2 and not a striker which has been shown over the past dozen games. It isn't Baxter Im having a go at as a person or player ,but a Baxter type player is a luxury ,and that is a luxury which cant be afforded in this division. He wasn't our worst player today ,but we cant keep having to find a place and formation to fit around him.
I agree, he's a luxury player and I agree with the rest of your analysis. He'll chip in with the odd top performance and goal to keep a good few onside, but he's a luxury none the less.

Scougal almost fits that bill too, but with lots more energy.

UTB

We were the better team.

Going forwards, play two strikers.
Get Diego back and give him a run up front with either Mcnulty/Higdon/Baxter/Scoogs...he's showed he knows where the net is now and that's what the loan was for...

Like the post but this is not Baxter's fault . However we do require him in the team , but not in the position he is playing . We have a good solid squad but have one missing piece of the jig saw . It is not the chap who has just been released by Leyland FC and looking for a club. Mr Clough with the required assistance will sort it . However the season is progressing and we do have to make a positive statement CF signing , to overcome being average in a average league . Only my opinion but perhaps the same as every other Blade. We do play some good attacking football but the missing link is there to be seen ,even when we win , and even more evident when we loose . I know Higdson was injured but is a good bench impact player as is McNuts . We all know what requires to be done and i am sure Mr McCabe and Mr The Prince will be pressured now by Mr Clough to sort it .

UTB

This not playing a striker is getting annoying. Baxter is not a striker. Either find place for him in midfield or playing behind a striker or don't play him. I think he is a good player but we are messing the team about to accommodate him. Yes we have been winning games with this formation but have been making hard work of it against some very poor opposition. What happened today could easily have happened in all our last few wins. To say Barnsley were average today was being generous. Time and time again Murphy and Cambell Rice got in good positions but crosses went across the box with no one running onto them. I seem to be having the same conversation at half time every week. We are playing well but have no threat in the final third. We have to play at least one striker - any striker!

Like the post but this is not Baxter's fault . However we do require him in the team , but not in the position he is playing . We have a good solid squad but have one missing piece of the jig saw . It is not the chap who has just been released by Leyland FC and looking for a club. Mr Clough with the required assistance will sort it . However the season is progressing and we do have to make a positive statement CF signing , to overcome being average in a average league . Only my opinion but perhaps the same as every other Blade. We do play some good attacking football but the missing link is there to be seen ,even when we win , and even more evident when we loose . I know Higdson was injured but is a good bench impact player as is McNuts . We all know what requires to be done and i am sure Mr McCabe and Mr The Prince will be pressured now by Mr Clough to sort it .

UTB
where we can fit him in then ?

Our biggest problem today was we played some brainless football at times, a criticism I have often levelled at us in the past few years. But we were much the better side. And I don't like Scot Matheson - rubbish ref!

At least the Dingles could happily sing that special 6th verse they have of This Little Piggy Went To Market as they headed back to the station.

We have to get rid of Baxtero_ONobody can blame Baxter for that performance or loss today,nobody.That's ridiculous.Clough was to blame,not any of the players,especially not Baxter.

Last edited:

Sitwell , it has to be Baxter and not Scougs for me . I do not think we can accommodate both . Also it would be good if we had a 100% fully fit Wallace , but alas i cannot see that ever happening . This is what you get with a boat load of mid fielders and expect one to play as a roving midfielder come striker. Baxter would flourish with a out and out striker in the team . Not all doom and gloom and no real despondency , just a team selection problem that is never going to go away , which Mr Clough has to resolve and will by getting a proven striker .

UTB.

Sitwell , it has to be Baxter and not Scougs for me . I do not think we can accommodate both . Also it would be good if we had a 100% fully fit Wallace , but alas i cannot see that ever happening . This is what you get with a boat load of mid fielders and expect one to play as a roving midfielder come striker. Baxter would flourish with a out and out striker in the team . Not all doom and gloom and no real despondency , just a team selection problem that is never going to go away , which Mr Clough has to resolve and will by getting a proven striker .

UTB.
I don't agree ,but its all opinions ,I think Scougall is far more valuable to the team and we would miss his tackling and mobility. Baxter didn't have his worst game today but apart from 3 Hollywood passes I cant recall anything else he did.

Our biggest problem today was we played some brainless football at times, a criticism I have often levelled at us in the past few years. But we were much the better side. And I don't like Scot Matheson - rubbish ref!

At least the Dingles could happily sing that special 6th verse they have of This Little Piggy Went To Market as they headed back to the station.
I asked one on the way to the station if he thought they deserved that. He looked down at his hands and said 6 of one ,half a dozen of the other.

This hatred for Baxter you seem to have is really confusing. What have you seen from Scougall this season that warrants him starting over Baxter? José is our most technically gifted player. Scougall is a shadow of the player he was last year and it doesn't seem as though that player isn't coming back anytime soon. We've perserveared with many so-so performances from Scougs and its about time Clough uses Baxter in his best position to get the best out of him. I'd rather an onform Baxter than Scougall.

Back
Top Bottom