Are we Spain???

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If like to see 442 much more often. But back to sitters point, could you see Baxter making up part of a 2 man midfield? We would be overrun every time.

UTB
Tbh mate you're propably right,but i'd like to see it first to give a proper judgement,plus have we even looked like been overrun yet in any game?Perhaps Preston at times but that's about it.

The reason we might get overrun in midfield is because we are lightweight, we have to have one playing deep to protect the back four for some reason (Doyle), we have one who is still not fully fit from pre season (Wallace), one playing as a makeshift striker (Baxter) one playing recently as a makeshift centre half (Basham) then we have a few midgets to pick from and a winger who would have difficulty in crossing his fingers. Little wonder we always struggle against teams packed with 6ft + players. This should all have been sorted pre season but no we are still short of a striker and a replacement for Maguire and we were too tight to buy a midfielder who was fit and ready to go from day one (I still don't think we made a big effort to get Coady) You have to blame the board and Clough not the players

The reason we might get overrun in midfield is because we are lightweight, we have to have one playing deep to protect the back four for some reason (Doyle), we have one who is still not fully fit from pre season (Wallace), one playing as a makeshift striker (Baxter) one playing recently as a makeshift centre half (Basham) then we have a few midgets to pick from and a winger who would have difficulty in crossing his fingers. Little wonder we always struggle against teams packed with 6ft + players. This should all have been sorted pre season but no we are still short of a striker and a replacement for Maguire and we were too tight to buy a midfielder who was fit and ready to go from day one (I still don't think we made a big effort to get Coady) You have to blame the board and Clough not the players
Let's remember we could have won yesterday and we'd be third in the table. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

Play the strikers you have, as we tend to do later on, and most of these problems seem to go away.

More's the worry that the injury to Higdon saw Porter being unleashed on us yesterday. Assuming Higdon cold be out for a month or so, now really is the time to push the boat out for a striker.

UTB

Let's remember we could have won yesterday and we'd be third in the table. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

Play the strikers you have, as we tend to do later on, and most of these problems seem to go away.

More's the worry that the injury to Higdon saw Porter being unleashed on us yesterday. Assuming Higdon cold be out for a month or so, now really is the time to push the boat out for a striker.

UTB
We have to score to win ;) never looked likely yesterday :(

We have to score to win ;) never looked likely yesterday :(
Agreed, but you take my point?

There's nothing more frustrating than watching us play varying styles, one keeps working, one doesn't, but we persist with the latter.

UTB

We will scrape home a top 6 finish without really looking convincing then its the lottery of the play offs

Unless we strengthen in january things click and ......BOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

CHAMPIONSHIP HERE WE COME

never looked likely yesterday :(

I actually disagree with that, at least partially. We did have a few chances (enough to score from), but our conversion rate is so appalling this season that it feels like we need ten chances for every goal. That combined with our dozy defending makes us ever so vulnerable.

A quality striker will win us games given performances like yesterday's.

Last edited:
I actually disagree with that, at least partially. We did have a few chances (enough to score from), but our conversion rate is so appalling this season that it feels like we need ten chances for every goal. That combined with our dozy defending makes us ever so vulnerable.

A quality striker will win us games given performances like yesterday's.
Eh, if we don't score the best we can hope for is a draw :confused::confused::confused:

A defeat after winning 4 on the bounce. First time we've failed to score since 16th August.

I'd suggest a bit of perspective, but then there never is

How about 8th in the the third tier and if we finish where we are now that is six seasons in a row we've finished lower than the previous, which I suspect s the longest continual decline in our history? How's that for perspective?

How about 8th in the the third tier and if we finish where we are now that is six seasons in a row we've finished lower than the previous, which I suspect s the longest continual decline in our history? How's that for perspective?

In terms of the result on Saturday and this season, none. In terms of the last 6 seasons a reasonable synopsis.

In terms of the result on Saturday and this season, none. In terms of the last 6 seasons a reasonable synopsis.

This is my point - you can always go wider with perspective. You say those that are overly upset with Saturday's result don't have any, I contend that anyone who is happy with the season so far similarly isn't considering the whole picture.

This is my point - you can always go wider with perspective. You say those that are overly upset with Saturday's result don't have any, I contend that anyone who is happy with the season so far similarly isn't considering the whole picture.

Which goes back to my original point. Too many always put too much significance on the one result (almost always a defeat). In the wider context of current form it could be seen as a blip if we win the next couple. It could also be seen as the start of a poor run of form if we lose the next two. On it's own it's no great pointer at the moment to even current form, let alone how the season itself will pan out.

Wouldn't say I'm happy with the season so far, however I would say we're in a reasonable position with the possibility of pushing on through the latter half of the season. I do know it looks a whole lot better than it did this time last season..for a bit more perspective ;)

Which goes back to my original point. Too many always put too much significance on the one result (almost always a defeat). In the wider context of current form it could be seen as a blip if we win the next couple. It could also be
;)
Have you seen the response of you try to add any similar comment after we win......"jeez, no pleasing some"

I don't think the comment is on the whole reactionary or OTT. That's for the shoutbox.

My assessments been fairly constant. We are too negative for too long a spell in most games. We should play further up the field with a striker, at least, on it.

UTB

But Spain win, If Higdon doesn't start the next game, I'm changing my picture.

What we need is a striker that stays in the middle of the pitch, and gives the two centre halves something to think about. He doesn't need to chase full backs up and down the pitch, or chase the ball into the corner every single time. Let the wingers deal with that and let the attacking midfielder stay on the opposition's holding midfielder.

We need someone in and around the box to get on the end of some of the crosses we are putting in the box week after week. The amount of times we put good balls in with nobody around the box is criminal. We're playing two wingers who cause problems virtually every game (regardless of who plays) but never have anyone in the box waiting for the delivery. The centre forward, attacking midfielder and the other winger should all be looking to get in there and on to them and one of the two deeper central midfielders around the edge of the box.

The 4-5-1/4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 system gets just as many people into the box as when you're playing 4-4-2 but is more solid without the ball. I'm fine with us playing this system as long as people actually bust a gut to get in the box and get a goal.

Must be me mellowing in old age! Thought we should have won it or at least had a point but that's football, one bit of slack marking at one end, good header, 1-0. Fast forward to t'other end, shit marking, free header, over bar (from everybodies current hero), still 1-0! Games won and lost on such fine margins..

Sorry, but are you really comparing a striker that has started 12 of 15 league matches with one that has started 4 of 15?

Would regular game time, indicating a bit of faith from the manager, possibly help especially considering McNulty has scored more goals already?

Sorry, but are you really comparing a striker that has started 12 of 15 league matches with one that has started 4 of 15?

Would regular game time, indicating a bit of faith from the manager, possibly help especially considering McNulty has scored more goals already?
To be frank HC, I wasn't particularly comparing McNuts with Winnall at all, more the fact chances missed and taken are the fine lines which decide tight contests.
I like MM but seeing as you mention his just coming on as sub, its no real reason to miss a reasonably easy header, whether it be him or anyone.
Mind you, there'll be no one more disappointed than the lad himself!

Back
Top Bottom