Are we a well run club?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Are we a well run club?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • No

Votes: 135 87.7%

• Total voters

It's a simple 'Yes' or 'No'.

Depends on the definition. What is a well run club? no one seems to know.

For most fans, it seems a well run club is a club that is promoted or is successful.
So by definition, there can only be 3 well run clubs every season. Leicester were a well run club for years but this season their club is in massive debt and if they fail to gain promotion this season then the shit will hit the fan and almost overnight they become a badly run club.

Nearly all fans want their owners to invest and spend big money increasing debt.
Again the problem is that only 3 clubs can reap the reward of investment, the other 21 clubs will be in debt
which if fans had their way, they want their owners to gamble and keep gambling.

A well run club is all about getting the balance right between gambling and being prudent.

Think it's the "entitled" culture of many people these days, they love spending other peoples money.
Every transfer target, it's "stop being tight, just pay them what ever they want".
Would love to see clubs run by a fans co-operative, then you can bet hardly any club would spend big building up debt.

Our fans have swallowed it for years that we are, that’s all that matters.

“Well run club” and “Think Liverpool” are 2 profound statements that ultimately meant nothing.

It's all about context.,...surely you understood that?

Regards the new Saudi owner...when we heard McCabe's comment "think Liverpool"
....only an idiot would think we'll be in the transfer market for players like Sala, Ferminho, Mane etc.
Anyone with half a brain knew it was to temper the excitement to explain our spending will be in a similar style to Liverpool
meaning we'll not over stretch and over gamble. Our expenditure would be based on our turnover, with a view to be self sustaining.

Also the term "well run club" again means we wouldn't over gamble and spend big sums.
Take Nottingham Forest, are they a well run club?

If they stay up...their fans would say they are a brilliantly run club with an owner who is ambitious, the best owner ever.
However if they are relegated...they have massive debts and will be in serious trouble....probably leading to admin and large points deductions
Then the same fans will be wanting sympathy because they have an owner who is a reckless madman and has ruined the club.

As I've said the definition of "well run" club all boils down to success on the pitch, so only a limited amount of clubs can be well run each season.

The people that voted yes… care to explain?

No. We have been successful on the pitch in the short term which has papered over the cracks. Any club that only has a Head Coach and a CEO based in the UK with senior football responsibility is going to struggle to run well.

The people that voted yes… care to explain?

I voted yes, because it depends on context.
You explain what a well run club is....then I'll be able to answer with more confidence, YES or NO.

Think there's a problem with the culture of football because virtually every single club has debts which are increasing.
So in a fashion virtually ALL 92 clubs in the PL and EFL are badly run.

Surely the definition of a well run club is a club making a profit
but then our fans would hate a well run club because clubs making a profit generally lack ambition and are reluctant to invest.

Fans scream for investment and ambition but in nearly every case that leads to a badly run club.
You only have to look at Sheff Wed, new owner, very ambitious, in a great position for promotion but still spent big strengthening even further.
When he's lost his gamble....he's continued investing and gambling either....then he's pulled out all the stops to invest and gamble even further.

Almost every time Chancer gambles he keeps losing.....now Sheff Wed have debts of £100 million to £150 million.
Instead of clearing the debts and slowly building Sheff Wed fans want the debt to disappear, have a new owner and start gambling again.
When will this madness of showing ambition by overspending building up debts stop?

Sheff Wed fans hated the FFP points deductions but those are in place to protect fans from dodgy over ambitious owners.
Without FFP rules, it would be like the Wild West with loads of clubs going into admin and some clubs going bust.

I've voted yes..

there, that showed you !

;)

Explanation required..

Here goes, the players we have seen over the prince's time have been some of the best I've ever seen in my 40 odd years, we've played in three premier league seasons during his time, smashed our transfer records to smithereens, some really care about owning the whole club, the owner did that, building a new academy now as well.

To have had an embargo, and a (suspended?) 2 point punishment for all that success seems a small price, if people want to get embarrassed by that then that's thier bag, me personally, we've been competing for something every season bar the Adkins season under the prince, Slav may have been a mistake either way, in time who knows what he achieves, when he decided to can slav, we took off again, resulting ultimately in another promotion to the premier league .

Let's talk about loans finally, we've had some great expensive loan players in to help us along the way MGW and Henderson were the standouts, all paid for under PA stewardship..

We know he's got no money, but the deals for Hamer and Archer were still funded, Souza coming good now as well, there are bad ones I know, but he's still got them in, that's doing his job surely.

His only fault is he's not a billionaire, that catches up with you when you sign players at 20m a few times you know, and pay premier league wages..

Oh. And in my opinion he tells the truth on his rare occasions in the media.

Last edited:
You explain what a well run club is....then I'll be able to answer with more confidence, YES or NO.

Think there's a problem with the culture of football because virtually every single club has debts which are increasing.

but then our fans would hate a well run club because clubs making a profit generally lack ambition and won't invest.

Fans scream for investment and ambition but in nearly every case that leads to a badly run club.
You only have to look at Sheff Wed, new owner, very ambitious, in a great position for promotion but still spent big strengthening even further.
When he's lost his gamble....he's continued investing and gambling either....then he's pulled out all the stops to invest and gamble even further.

Almost every time Chancer gambles he keeps losing.....now Sheff Wed have debts of £100 to £150 million.
Instead of clearing the debts and slowly building Sheff Wed fans want the debt to disappear, have a new owner and start gambling again.
Okay… a well run club would pay bills that it’s signed up for. A transfer fee isn’t a surprise like a Washing machine breaking.

So you can now reply yes or no?

but then our fans would hate a well run club because clubs making a profit generally lack ambition and are reluctant to invest.

Almost every time Chancer gambles he keeps losing.....now Sheff Wed have debts of £100 million to £150 million.
When will this madness of showing ambition by overspending building up debts stop?

Sheff Wed fans hated the FFP points deductions but those are in place to protect fans from dodgy over ambitious owners.
Without FFP rules, it would be like the Wild West with loads of clubs going into admin and some clubs going bust.
A well run club has capable staff in all the positions that are vital to putting together a strong organisation on and off the pitch. There is a theme that runs through all 1st team recruitment that shows the realisation of a plan that's been carefully thought through and emphasises what's required to attempt to outperform the given budget. Staff aren't asked to handle jobs that are outside their skillset or take on jobs that mean they aren't able to complete their core tasks to the highest level possible. A well run club doesn't miss payments to football or non-football creditors. They have a carefully planned media policy that keeps fans informed to a point but doesn't drift into "he said, she said" stuff or become sensationalist to cater to the egos of those at the top of the hierarchy.

There's loads more. It's not just tied to how much you spend. It's about building repeatable processes that mean you can consistently rely on your staff to fulfill their roles and provide the value you expect for the money you do have. Based on the evidence we have, United are not run in this way or anywhere near it

We spent relatively sod all last summer so we're going back down with a lot of Premier League money and parachute payments. If we spend nothing like last time we got relegated, then we need to start asking questions as to where all the money is going. It won't be sustaining a wage bill that's going to be nearly 16 players lighter, with the remainder on decreased wages due to relegation clauses.

It's all about context.,...surely you understood that?

Regards the new Saudi owner...when we heard McCabe's comment "think Liverpool"
....only an idiot would think we'll be in the transfer market for players like Sala, Ferminho, Mane etc.
Anyone with half a brain knew it was to temper the excitement to explain our spending will be in a similar style to Liverpool
meaning we'll not over stretch and over gamble. Our expenditure would be based on our turnover, with a view to be self sustaining.

Also the term "well run club" again means we wouldn't over gamble and spend big sums.

If they stay up...their fans would say they are a brilliantly run club with an owner who is ambitious, the best owner ever.
However if they are relegated...they have massive debts and will be in serious trouble....probably leading to admin and large points deductions
Then the same fans will be wanting sympathy because they have an owner who is a reckless madman and has ruined the club.

As I've said the definition of "well run" club all boils down to success on the pitch, so only a limited amount of clubs can be well run each season.
Only thing is Steel I'd rather be a Forest fan with a points deduction for signing too many players like Gibbs White, Hudson Odoyi, Origi et al and giving it a go than a Blade with a point deduction because we got the timing wrong shuffling rhe deck chairs on the Titanic !

Add to that the fact that's its mainly to do with a 23m misfit with the hamstrings of spaghetti who's made a handful of appearances and it yet again reinforces our position as a comedy club

its tough because technically the answer is no. as no football club is well run they are all financial disasters EFL & premierl eague have let the sport finalincally out of control & they are the root cause of all the pts deduction. because of the rules are letting teams rack up huge debts with countries in owning clubs & then get into further debt to just try to be competitive

Hindsight, it’s January 2023. We’re going for promotion & our main hope of that happening is keeping NDiaye & Berge.

Even though we couldn’t afford to keep them would you take promotion and have a 2 point deduction when you’re next relegated or sell two of your best players & jeopardise our chances.

I think if most of us were offered that in January 2023 we’d have said don’t sell.

The annoying thing isn’t that for me, it’s how we’re continuing to be ran right now. We’ll step into next season needing a new squad. This summer was our opportunity to get it right and rebuild, sort some contracts out & sign some decent players. We just fucked it all up & I doubt we’ll even have a budget next year.

Last edited:
13 posters on here who are clearly for the Prince no matter what. It’s good to give us a sample size to see the cult following on here.

A well run club has capable staff in all the positions that are vital to putting together a strong organisation on and off the pitch. There is a theme that runs through all 1st team recruitment that shows the realisation of a plan that's been carefully thought through and emphasises what's required to attempt to outperform the given budget. Staff aren't asked to handle jobs that are outside their skillset or take on jobs that mean they aren't able to complete their core tasks to the highest level possible. A well run club doesn't miss payments to football or non-football creditors. They have a carefully planned media policy that keeps fans informed to a point but doesn't drift into "he said, she said" stuff or become sensationalist to cater to the egos of those at the top of the hierarchy.

There's loads more. It's not just tied to how much you spend. It's about building repeatable processes that mean you can consistently rely on your staff to fulfill their roles and provide the value you expect for the money you do have. Based on the evidence we have, United are not run in this way or anywhere near it

^^^^^^^^^^ This.

We spent relatively sod all last summer so we're going back down with a lot of Premier League money and parachute payments. If we spend nothing like last time we got relegated, then we need to start asking questions as to where all the money is going. It won't be sustaining a wage bill that's going to be nearly 16 players lighter, with the remainder on decreased wages due to relegation clauses.
The money has still been spent. There's no vast cash reserves to spend next season

Absolutely correct . Clubs seem hell bent in jumping of a cliff for some reason which to me is strange . Now there is plenty of money in football but only a handful have it ,the rest seem hell bent on paying themselves (players usually) vast amounts of money they have not got and then plead poverty .Having said that we cant say the Blades were ever big spenders when it comes to wages but other clubs seem hell bent on going bust just to get to the promised land that is the prem .As you say FFP rules are there for a very good reason . Now as we know the Blades were paying the least wages in the prem or near the least which makes you wonder why we could not pay our dues and demands after a two year stint in the prem and receiving parachute payments .Makes you wonder if it's worth while trying to get there but once again we would have been in the shit if we had failed to get there last year .

You question this the cult following on here will shoot you down.

Asking basic questions like this you won’t receive answers. Just questions aimed at yourself.

It’s very clear but he has enough defending him on here to sweep it under the rug.

Point deductions are only reserved for the good owners is what we will hear next.

Not at all, they’re an accident waiting to happen.

My comments about McCabe were obviously tongue in cheek and it was obviously bollocks at the time.

I do think that we have a very gullible set of supporters though and tend to believe a lot of what we’re told.

We take the piss out of other teams and in reality we are mismanaged both on and off the pitch ourselves.

Well run? The only club who spends 3 out of the last 5 years in the Premier League, spends comparatively peanuts to the likes of Brentford and Brighton, but gets points deducted.

No sure what my response should be

Back
Top Bottom