Archer buyback fee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I can't see how it's true, but IF it is then it isn't the first time we've had our fingers burnt after signing a player based on scoring a few goals during a short stint in the championship.. Robinson, Brewster.. Any others?
Mcburnie

Should have got him last summer to make the obvious pairing - bit late now , he's 28 , maybe a loan ?
Even for the daft figure Ajax paid?
Akpom was worth a go at £6m not at the £12m the Amsterdam club stumped up, when they shot their bolt.

i think archer gets a rough ride on here provide him with the right service and he would get us 25 goals minimum next season in the championship
We've nearly scored as many goals as the first premier league season. He's not premier league quality. I wouldn't mind us getting him on loan next year. He's not getting in the villa side.

He did ok for a while and when he can be bothered is still a threat at this level.

Sadly I think he took one look at our defence and realised that whatever he did up front would just get cancelled out.

With just a semi functioning back line, the likes of Archer, BBD, McAtee, Hamer and McBurnie would have probably given us enough to win a few games.

Apparently we are going to make a 4 million loss on him. An expensive loan and has little impact on the pitch

Still better wiping off £4m after 1 year than being stuck with wages and the fee we payed for McBurnie and Brewster ... just IMO though as we are all hurting

Will end up at Ipswich. No where near good enough for Villa. Think he’s a good player, it was a good bit of business, based on last season. Needs to be in a decent team that use his strengths.

I thought the way the deal worked, Villa had to buy him back if we are relegated ? It was something compulsory, not a buy-back option ? ( which seemed an bizarre deal, given the Ndiaye money was supposed to be used to safeguard our future with long term signings.......blah blah ) If there is a chance in this case, he will be with us next season, I would happily take that. He has been disappointing for sure, but he should be a good player in the championship and we are looking light on fit and contracted strikers next season.

I thought the way the deal worked, Villa had to buy him back if we are relegated ? It was something compulsory, not a buy-back option ? ( which seemed an bizarre deal, given the Ndiaye money was supposed to be used to safeguard our future with long term signings.......blah blah ) If there is a chance in this case, he will be with us next season, I would happily take that. He has been disappointing for sure, but he should be a good player in the championship and we are looking light on fit and contracted strikers next season.
He goes back to villa that's the deal , no reason he can't come back next season on loan if both parties and Archer wants to come back.
No way will we pay anything like 10million + for a player this window,I think that's obvious with the chat coming from United.

Will end up at Ipswich. No where near good enough for Villa. Think he’s a good player, it was a good bit of business, based on last season. Needs to be in a decent team that use his strengths.

Decent spot for him Ipswich. I think they’ll give it a good go if they go up next year.

4.5 million apparently... The thread has details on how it's all actually working

That is the transfer installment, never a loan fee.
As I said I wrote it incorrectly as I basically treated it as a loan due to how sure of relegation I was I almost forgot he was technically on a permanent!

As I said I wrote it incorrectly as I basically treated it as a loan due to how sure of relegation I was I almost forgot he was technically on a permanent!
Yes he is our permanent player until Villa buy him back this summer. Don't know how much of the £4.5m we get back. Don't think Darren knows.

Yes he is our permanent player until Villa buy him back this summer. Don't know how much of the £4.5m we get back. Don't think Darren knows.
Zero. We just don't pay further installments according to him.

If true it's not been a good deal for us!

This was a calculated gamble.

The transfer was roundly lauded as an astute and innovate approach to signing a player - and one that was largely well received.

If we’d have stayed up and Archer performed it would have made sense and been a very smart piece of business.

He hasn’t and we haven’t. It therefore limits our financial exposure and creates a bit of certainty to our cash flow upon relegation.

Is the rumoured £4m good value for money? Probably not - which is easy to say with hindsight. However maintain it was a sensible and prudent approach to signing a player who we couldn’t have signed on loan, nor would have been interested without the recall aspect.

Other part is £4m is peanuts in PL spending. We’ve wasted a lot more than that before. Remember Freeman, Robinson and Mousset?

There are a lot of things to knock the club for, don’t think this is one of them.

Wish we could keep Archer next season but seems that's impossible. He will beat twenty plus in the championship. He's someone villa will look to sell on again this summer, probably a promoted team will want him.

Our tactic stifled him much like it has for all our strikers.

What we need is a new manager with better tactics that want to score goals.

Archer we keep if a new manager comes in.
Sell him if wilder stays.

We don't pay further installments but we should get some of the £4.5m back. Darren won't know how much.
If we spent 4.5 million on a loan player with no premiership experience then the Prince has his pants round his ankles.
Find that hard to beleave.

Obviously this was done with wage bill unmind. Anyone know how much brewster has cost us every season in wages alone?

If we spent 4.5 million on a loan player with no premiership experience then the Prince has his pants round his ankles.
Find that hard to beleave.

I have no idea what Archer's wages are, I'm seeing various things but generally in the 30's, but for the sake of it let's say the amount that he's cost us in combined wages and bonuses is 2.5 million for the season. I'd love to see the list of players that you think are better than Archer who could be have for a total cost of ownership of less than £7m a year

I have no idea what Archer's wages are, I'm seeing various things but generally in the 30's, but for the sake of it let's say the amount that he's cost us in combined wages and bonuses is 2.5 million for the season. I'd love to see the list of players that you think are better than Archer who could be have for a total cost of ownership of less than £7m a year
We got one fella in on loan who was free in the summer who is doing a solid job up top

He did ok for a while and when he can be bothered is still a threat at this level.

Sadly I think he took one look at our defence and realised that whatever he did up front would just get cancelled out.

With just a semi functioning back line, the likes of Archer, BBD, McAtee, Hamer and McBurnie would have probably given us enough to win a few games.
I that's true then he won't make it as a professional footballer

As I understand it, Archer will go back in the summer (1 July) as the terms of the deal under which we 'bought' him from Villa states that in the event of our relegation then Villa will buy him back off us for 3 quarters of the original transfer fee. So, the accounts (for FFP purposes) will show that we paid £18m for the lad last summer, and also show that we sold the lad back to them this summer for £13.5m. In reality, we have paid single instalment of £4.5m for his services plus whatever his wages were.

I can see why some would think it was a bit of a waste of money, but when you consider that we spent £4m on Traore and £2m each on Garbage and Slimane, then a £4.5m fee for a half decent forward from the championship with a get out clause if it went tits up, wasn't as bad a deal as some make it out to be (when you consider just how much some players get transferred for in the PL anyway). It was a punt on him helping us stay up or even finish higher up the league in final placings, but in truth, it was never going to be enough as we didn't strengthen other areas. Its like we toyed with the idea of looking like we wanted to stay up, but in all honesty we were as good as down from last August.

As I understand it, Archer will go back in the summer (1 July) as the terms of the deal under which we 'bought' him from Villa states that in the event of our relegation then Villa will buy him back off us for 3 quarters of the original transfer fee. So, the accounts (for FFP purposes) will show that we paid £18m for the lad last summer, and also show that we sold the lad back to them this summer for £13.5m. In reality, we have paid single instalment of £4.5m for his services plus whatever his wages were.

I can see why some would think it was a bit of a waste of money, but when you consider that we spent £4m on Traore and £2m each on Garbage and Slimane, then a £4.5m fee for a half decent forward from the championship with a get out clause if it went tits up, wasn't as bad a deal as some make it out to be (when you consider just how much some players get transferred for in the PL anyway). It was a punt on him helping us stay up or even finish higher up the league in final placings, but in truth, it was never going to be enough as we didn't strengthen other areas. Its like we toyed with the idea of looking like we wanted to stay up, but in all honesty we were as good as down from last August.
That’s the best way of looking at this deal. It’s a high cost for a seasons loan but with Brewster we effectively committed to five years of 4.5M a year and McBurnie was much the same. Having a get out clause enables us to cut our cloth, let’s face it we’d probably have been in administration if we hadn’t been promoted, this year has just been about getting the finances back in order ( I hope!!) so being stuck with the rest of Archers fee plus wages back in the championship for another 3 years is something we wouldn’t be able to afford. A shame, as he’d be a great asset next year.

Back
Top Bottom