Incoming? Alexander Blessin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

^ This x 1 million.

What is it with Blades fans always looking backwards? These will be the same ones who didn't want Jesse Lingard anywhere near the club I will bet......don't worry flowers, we will be back in your safe place of League 1 soon enough...
It might be the wrong terminology to use but I've known a few Blades over my life who are definitely more comfortable being in the middle two divisions.

Nothing against heckingbottom he inherited a shit show.

But honestly what have we improved or developed under his reign. Absolutely nothing as far as I can see - he’s shown nothing to suggest he warranty’s another look. I’d be hugely disappointed if we end up blowing our best chances of bouncing back up with another non entity manager like robson last time.

But honestly what have we improved or developed under his reign. Absolutely nothing as far as I can see - he’s shown nothing to suggest he warranty’s another look. I’d be hugely disappointed if we end up blowing our best chances of bouncing back up with another non entity manager like robson last time.
Hecky said he still talks to wilder so that might be a reason unless he's just been forced to play 352 by the board

I just don't understand why this thread now seems to be about all the footballing fossils that have ever existed... when this thread is supposed about this guy...

Don't you see a sense of joy... isn't it what everyone needs?

A squad one season removed from the highest league finish in my lifetime.

I'm not saying Heckingbottom should be doing better, I'm just sick of people saying how bad this team is like we are bottom of League 2.

I'm not saying Heckingbottom should be doing better, I'm just sick of people saying how bad this team is like we are bottom of League 2.
I watched Luton last night against Rotherham. Despite how shit we are in the PL this season, they were both truly awful.

Luton are 10th !!!!!

I’m not saying the squad is terrible

but let’s be fair it’s not been constructed well at all! If it was PH wouldn’t have come in to a side with 3 fit midfielders (one of which doesn’t want to be here) and end up playing a functional left back as a number 10 as we have zero creativity.

And a defence consisting of 1 actual centreback capable of performing at this level in Egan.

i know we’ve had injuries but this wasn’t a stretch to see coming. One or two injuries to the positions we didn’t bother reinforcing and this was always possible, even likely.

we came into the season with players you’d be uncomfortable playing more than a few games as primary cover / the only back up in two areas. There was nothing behind fleck, berge, Norwood and an underperforming lundstram in midfield and there was nothing behind Egan, bash and JOC you’d be happy with as a primary centreback. All the While we have 6 forwards to choose from.

but let’s be fair it’s not been constructed well at all! If it was PH wouldn’t have come in to a side with 3 fit midfielders (one of which doesn’t want to be here) and end up playing a functional left back as a number 10 as we have zero creativity.

And a defence consisting of 1 actual centreback capable of performing at this level in Egan.

i know we’ve had injuries but this wasn’t a stretch to see coming. One or two injuries to the positions we didn’t bother reinforcing and this was always possible, even likely.

we came into the season with players you’d be uncomfortable playing more than a few games as primary cover / the only back up in two areas. There was nothing behind fleck, berge, Norwood and an underperforming lundstram in midfield and there was nothing behind Egan, bash and JOC you’d be happy with as a primary centreback. All the While we have 6 forwards to choose from.
You forget the 5 senior goalkeepers. We could field an entire side made up of goalkeepers and strikers. The recruitment in the "best window ever" was borderline negligent.

You're correct, it wasn't unforeseeable at all & lots of us were shocked, going into the season, that our backup in key positions was Foderingham, Jagielka & Bryan.
We then put a lot of faith in Ampadu being able to cover Basham & Norwood & he hasn't really worked out either (a few good performances aside).

In addition to numerous keepers and strikers we have an abundance of LWB the latest of which is I believe Boyles of which great things are expected in a similar way to the numerous potentially good strikers we have in the development squads whose progression will be blocked by £23m Brewster.

In addition to numerous keepers and strikers we have an abundance of LWB the latest of which is I believe Boyles of which great things are expected in a similar way to the numerous potentially good strikers we have in the development squads whose progression will be blocked by £23m Brewster.
We do need a clear out at LWB as realistically a squad should only have 2 senior options there maybe supplemented with a youth player. Disagree Brewster will block the pathways of any of the young strikers currently in the academy for two reasons.

Firstly we’ve got quite an old striking core with didzy and sharp in there. Both of those are unlikely to still be playing here by the time any of the academy strikers are ready to be championship starters. That’s coupled with the uncertainty surrounding mousset and Burke’s futures at the club so there should be squad slots open in the foreseeable future.

Second as promising as these young lads are and as well as they have played not one of them is anywhere near where Brewster was as a young player. So playing the odds Brewster has a greater chances of working out than any of the academy boys. Of course if any of them do work out United will have hit the jackpot.

You missed these "." from around the word forwards.

You forget the 5 senior goalkeepers. We could field an entire side made up of goalkeepers and strikers. The recruitment in the "best window ever" was borderline negligent.
it does make me wonder whether this ‘best window ever’ was the result of mismanagement from wilder or PA. We had reports of swift/cooper at the time, yet nowt materialised. A lot say wages etc... but if a PL club cant finish the deal on two Championship players due to financials, you wonder was it Wilder blowing all our cash on a 19yo, or PA being stingy

it does make me wonder whether this ‘best window ever’ was the result of mismanagement from wilder or PA. We had reports of swift/cooper at the time, yet nowt materialised. A lot say wages etc... but if a PL club cant finish the deal on two Championship players due to financials, you wonder was it Wilder blowing all our cash on a 19yo, or PA being stingy
Swift got injured and missed several months so that wasn’t going to happen. I don’t think it’s necessarily mismanagement, more a case of needing to replace more players than the club could afford to. Two things have gone wrong; the players we brought in haven’t done enough and the players who got us up and helped keep us up have lost form dramatically or been injured.
The first was always possible because it can take time for players coming into a PL club from the championship to settle in. The second was a bit of a surprise. More money may have helped, it helped Villa but they still had to spend a lot and only survived with a little bit of help from goal line technology. It hasn’t kept Fulham up either, although I think they had too many loans. I think the bottom line is that it’s difficult to stay up in the best of circumstances and it’s arguable that whatever we did, within reason, we’d have still gone down. In an ideal world, we’d have signed eight or nine established PL players over the past two seasons but that’s a huge ask.

Swift got injured and missed several months so that wasn’t going to happen. I don’t think it’s necessarily mismanagement, more a case of needing to replace more players than the club could afford to. Two things have gone wrong; the players we brought in haven’t done enough and the players who got us up and helped keep us up have lost form dramatically or been injured.
The first was always possible because it can take time for players coming into a PL club from the championship to settle in. The second was a bit of a surprise. More money may have helped, it helped Villa but they still had to spend a lot and only survived with a little bit of help from goal line technology. It hasn’t kept Fulham up either, although I think they had too many loans. I think the bottom line is that it’s difficult to stay up in the best of circumstances and it’s arguable that whatever we did, within reason, we’d have still gone down. In an ideal world, we’d have signed eight or nine established PL players over the past two seasons but that’s a huge ask.
imo the problem was changing transfer strategy from one of buying lower value Championship assets, to buying high value PL prospects (Brewster, Berge, McB). If Wilder stuck to his guns and looked at bringing in 6x Very good Champ players for £60m rather than 3 prospects like we did... we might not be in this position right now... aka spreading your bets

I think if the team as a whole had maintained last years levels and rammers had come in and shown his late season form early the narrative on that transfer window would have been very different. Wilder would have effectively replaced hendo but with a player who was actually ours. Also if we were creating overloads like we were last year and putting the ball in the box on a regular basis Brewster would have stumbled into a few goals even though performances wouldn’t have been great and people would probably be willing to cut him some more slack.

imo the problem was changing transfer strategy from one of buying lower value Championship assets, to buying high value PL prospects (Brewster, Berge, McB). If Wilder stuck to his guns and looked at bringing in 6x Very good Champ players for £60m rather than 3 prospects like we did... we might not be in this position right now... aka spreading your bets
If you could get six players for £60m who are all good enough to potentially step up and weren’t also wanted by clubs like Villa or Fulham. If someone like Watkins can go for around £30m it’s not easy to find six for £60m, in the positions we needed.

Back
Top Bottom