Accept the inevitable and stick with Hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you sack him you have to bring in someone for the future though. No Allardyce or any other manager you know will be gone after the season anyway.

One thing I like about Hecky is that he's really good working with young players and willing to give them a chance. There's a reason McAtee and Doyle came here, and McAtee even chose to come back.
It would be a shame to lose that and replace Hecky with a manager who doesn't trust young, unproven players.

I guess in an ideal world you replace him with a better tactician and keep him as an assistent. But I doubt he'd accept that. He'll have Championship clubs knocking at his door in no time.

i want to keep him. but the woeful 1st halves were a huge cause for concern that was arsenal, Wolves, Brighton & Bournemouth. Just in the middle 2 the real sheffield united came back in 2nd half & Rescued us. also Bournemouth 1st goal was a carbon copy of the Brighton goal. 2 weeks we didn't think to work on that

the fact that Bournemouth couldnt finish there dinner is only thing keeping heckingbottom in a job. because i lost count how many time i said "how is this not 4-0" in that 2nd half. because that could easily have been 6 or 7 & if i was ironia i wouldve been disappointed by that performance

i would like to see ralph hassenhutel come in

Agree.....it's quite common for fans to simplistically say "get rid" etc, sometimes with a few insults thrown in.

However the reality is....the owner needs to have an alternative already lined up.
Also it's not just the manager but also the backroom staff.
Then it's, do we bring in the new man as a short term option (like a Warnock) or do we plan for the future with a young up and coming manager but then who ever we bring in, is likely to be scarred by having a relegation on their CV.

Also the new man would still have a fairly long part of the season left, so if the new man does exactly the same as Hecky
then morale will be low for next season, so it might be tempting to bring in a new man, start afresh, at the start of next season.
Also as you say, Hecky was rated as academy manager, so is it possible to retain his services in the Academy then would he accept it?

If there are no viable alternatives and no plan...then by default we have no choice but to stick with Hecky until it becomes too toxic.
Totally agreed it is a difficult one, and conversation to have. Although if I was asked do I mind stepping aside until 2026 to manage the academy on £1mill a year I think I would take it! To be fair with Warnock it would go one of 3 ways (one staying up is the most unlikely) 2nd we become hard to beat with a bit of bite to us and passion which wouldn’t be a bad thing. Or 3 we become part of the Warnock show and end up with a special on prime/Netflix which results will make us look even worse. Realistically unless you look at the reactions for people who “support” the glory clubs you only see some bloke from some random country commenting on twitter how “we” battered you. But other than that I really don’t think Phil from Ghana is really looking out for our results weekly

There is no chance that Heckingbottom would step aside and manage the academy. £1m per year wage or not. Not after guiding a club to promotion. Especially after the shit show he and his staff had to deal with in doing so (transfer embargos etc). It’s a pride thing more than anything else. He would walk, and probably walk into a job at a Championship club.

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our defence to man mark players for crosses and set pieces, instead of letting them go?

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our players to make off ball runs into space for players to pass the ball into ahead of them, instead of standing around static expecting the ball to come to them?

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our players to complete a single pass to another red and white shirt?

Do you genuinely think another manager would come in and set up the team to defend a 0-0 draw from the first minute and only let the team attack when we're 2 or 3-0 down?

Do you genuinely think that another manager couldn't manage to get a shot on target at home before the 89th minute?

Do you genuinely think another manager would think a tactical change is bringing on Osborn? More to the point do you think another manager would have given another contract to Fleck, Basham and Osborn?

Do you genuinely think that another manager would end up playing the same tactics and serving up this pathetic horseshit every match?

Do you genuinely think that another manager would start Rhian Brewster when they knew he'd picked up a knock in training when he's still recovering from a serious long term injury?

Results might not change under another manager, but all of the above can. They're what the majority of clubs across the football leagues do and Hecky doesn't.

He has no plan B, as was evident last season, and now he doesn't seem to have a plan A.

Yes he was dealt a bad hand in the summer but he could get more from these players if he wasn't such a stubborn, tactical, scared chicken.The lack of tactics, imbalance in midfield, and terrible performances as a result are 100% on him. He chooses the formation, he chooses the players, he chooses the tactics. He chooses when to make changes in matches, which he doesn't do or leaves it far too late when the game is lost. He needs to go as he has embarrassed this club and himself. He should leave with some dignity and pride before his legacy and name will be associated with the title of worst Premier League manager in history.
Damn...now tell us how you really feel

The biggest issues by far are the ownership and the dog shit recruitment that are headed by cocksure morons who promised us much better. The emperor and his minions have no clothes, you can see that across "United World" not just at SUFC. Surely even the most sycophantic Blades know that by now?!

Until those issues and, yes, the injury issue is sorted we're going in one direction with or without Hecky. The manager is the least of our problems: dispensing with him might provide a temporary dopamine injection like all new toys do, but it won't sort out our issues or result in a massive turnaround in results. It's a sticking plaster at best; the structural issues need sorting.

Already allowed 34 goals this season the worst in the league and faced 33 shots more than any other side .Only two sides in PL history have conceded more goals after 13 games. He shouldn't be sacked but he should resign.

So the main reasons being put up for changing the manager are a crap performance against Bournemouth, no passion or fight and blaming Hecky for the run of injuries.

Bournemouth followed two decent performances and four points. “No passion or fight” is a standard riposte when a team is performing badly. I say we lack quality and identity, not fight. And there is zero evidence that our injuries are down to Hecky or his methods. Injuries seem to be happening ever more frequently at the top level. Other clubs have squad depth to cope.

If there’s a better plan that improves our chances of staying up, let’s see it? Otherwise, it’s about accepting this season will continue to be tough with more Bournemouths to come and giving ourselves the best chance of getting back up.
Good post. Hecky has proven himself over the past couple of seasons. We showed plenty of passion and fight then.

As you said, we've been dealt a very poor hand. Best players sold. Injuries. No more money. There are many good arguments for keeping Hecky regardless of relegation. He's a proven manager who knows the club and is well-liked. If we change the manager and results don't improve there will be calls for the new bloke to go too.

Agree that the 'lacking passion' criticism is bollocks. We were as desperate to win as Bournemouth. The difference was that they had better players.

Continuity is an asset. We'll be challenging for promotion again next season if we keep PH. Getting a new manager in is a step into the unknown, and it's unlikely that results will improve as a result.

That's not to say Hecky is above criticism. We should have started with Anel and McB on Saturday. Hopefully PH is learning from his mistakes.

Many people are saying we should sack him, but there doesn't seem to be much agreement on who could replace him. Any new appointee is likely to divide the fans, and decent managers (and their staff) cost money. We're skint.

Already allowed 34 goals this season the worst in the league and faced 33 shots more than any other side .Only two sides in PL history have conceded more goals after 13 games. He shouldn't be sacked but he should resign.
Not sure what you expect from a club with a miniscule budget compared to most PL clubs. There was a reason that we were odds-on to be relegated before a ball was kicked this season. Those odds wouldn't have changed if Warnock or Wilder had been appointed in July.

So the main reasons being put up for changing the manager are a crap performance against Bournemouth, no passion or fight and blaming Hecky for the run of injuries.

Bournemouth followed two decent performances and four points. “No passion or fight” is a standard riposte when a team is performing badly. I say we lack quality and identity, not fight. And there is zero evidence that our injuries are down to Hecky or his methods. Injuries seem to be happening ever more frequently at the top level. Other clubs have squad depth to cope.

If there’s a better plan that improves our chances of staying up, let’s see it? Otherwise, it’s about accepting this season will continue to be tough with more Bournemouths to come and giving ourselves the best chance of getting back up.
If you can put up with teams being set up pre game that have no chance to attack, cede possession and territory but don't do basic defensive work, contain a midfield 2 who are nowhere near good enough and are getting worse, plus all the other things listed here and still be happy enough to ride this season out and let PH start again next season then I think you're in the minority.

There's no attacking plan, we are the worst team in Europe's top leagues in a frankly bewildering number of statistics (https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats), we let Norwood dominate the ball to an extent on matched by Rodri from all other PL midfielders.

Ph deserves respect. He handled the last 2 seasons so, so well despite all the issues and got United promoted, offering a financial windfall vital to the short term Championship competitiveness of the club. But it's over

Not sure what you expect from a club with a miniscule budget compared to most PL clubs. There was a reason that we were odds-on to be relegated before a ball was kicked this season. Those odds wouldn't have changed if Warnock or Wilder had been appointed in July.
On Saturday we gave up 18 shots from simple passes. That's not intricate build up play or dribbling. That's unchallenged players playing simple passes to unmarked forwards. Do you think that's really to do with money?

The 4 preceding games we'd reduced that number to an average of 8 (it was up at 18 again before that). 2 weeks to prepare for a specific opponent who play an effective, but simple attacking style. And we utterly folded.

Accept the inevitable!

No! Why should we accept what we’re getting at the minute. It far from acceptable! Get the man and his team gone now, it’s no loss for now or next season.

This is the only thread I’ve ever been on where I’ve give every reply a like!

Under Bassett we went long ball and delivered quality in the box to score goals, under Wilder we overloaded to flanks to create chances, what’s our attacking anpproach under Hecky?

Warnock, Wilder and Allardyce are the most often mentioned replacements. Warnock has been sacked from his last three Premier League jobs - QPR and Palace because the owners decided he was taking them down and Cardiff a few months after relegation.

Allardyce - are we really even discussing this? - didn’t win a single game at Leeds in taking them down. No bounce effect there!

Wilder was outstanding for us, probably got undone by Covid but would have taken us down had he not left (and I wish he hadn’t).

Then there’s the question of who would take the job. Plenty will see relegation as inevitable and won’t fancy that on their cv. Any that are up for the challenge will doubtless want a generous compo clause. Many of those shouting for change may be doing the same again before the season’s out. Then what? Millions more owed in compo? Another new manager? Having got rid of one who has proved he can get us out of the Championship.

Sacking a manager is easy, dealing with the consequences less so.

Good post. Hecky has proven himself over the past couple of seasons. We showed plenty of passion and fight then.

As you said, we've been dealt a very poor hand. Best players sold. Injuries. No more money. There are many good arguments for keeping Hecky regardless of relegation. He's a proven manager who knows the club and is well-liked. If we change the manager and results don't improve there will be calls for the new bloke to go too.

Agree that the 'lacking passion' criticism is bollocks. We were as desperate to win as Bournemouth. The difference was that they had better players.

Continuity is an asset. We'll be challenging for promotion again next season if we keep PH. Getting a new manager in is a step into the unknown, and it's unlikely that results will improve as a result.

That's not to say Hecky is above criticism. We should have started with Anel and McB on Saturday. Hopefully PH is learning from his mistakes.

Many people are saying we should sack him, but there doesn't seem to be much agreement on who could replace him. Any new appointee is likely to divide the fans, and decent managers (and their staff) cost money. We're skint.

I think you really need to watch games from last season again and see how poorly we played so often, we were hanging on to single goal leads while under the pump.

Now ask yourself without Heckys midas touch in Ndiaye, if you really see him as challenging for promotion next season.

I think you will be in for disappointment.

Sorry mate but that’s bollocks A dubious penalty a sending off and around 60 minutes of acceptable football plus 30 against Man Utd ( who could have scored 4 in the second half)
Keeping the score down in games really should not cloud the negative performances
He’s been inadequate since day one

Warnock, Wilder and Allardyce are the most often mentioned replacements. Warnock has been sacked from his last three Premier League jobs - QPR and Palace because the owners decided he was taking them down and Cardiff a few months after relegation.

Allardyce - are we really even discussing this? - didn’t win a single game at Leeds in taking them down. No bounce effect there!

Wilder was outstanding for us, probably got undone by Covid but would have taken us down had he not left (and I wish he hadn’t).

Then there’s the question of who would take the job. Plenty will see relegation as inevitable and won’t fancy that on their cv. Any that are up for the challenge will doubtless want a generous compo clause. Many of those shouting for change may be doing the same again before the season’s out. Then what? Millions more owed in compo? Another new manager? Having got rid of one who has proved he can get us out of the Championship.

Sacking a manager is easy, dealing with the consequences less so.
Bournemouth sacked manager Gary O'Neil, despite the fact that he guided them to Premier League survival last season, and hired Spanish coach Andoni Iraola in his place.

A brave move on the face of it, but given what we saw on Saturday, an inspired decision.

There is therefore evidence that young, adventurous forward thinking managers are out there, perhaps the issue with our club is one of being parochial in its outlook - perhaps the club needs to expand its horizons, continually bleating about reappointing previous incumbents isn’t going to move the club forward.

I really don’t understand why we’re giving him Saturdays game before making a change. I’d rather the new manager in for Burnley than Liverpool where it’s pretty much inevitable we’ll lose.

He’s starting to tarnish the good work he’s already done. We can see his limitations as a manager, we discussed them at times last season.

The only thing I can think at this stage is we can’t afford to pay him off.

I really don’t understand why we’re giving him Saturdays game before making a change. I’d rather the new manager in for Burnley than Liverpool where it’s pretty much inevitable we’ll lose.

He’s starting to tarnish the good work he’s already done. We can see his limitations as a manager, we discussed them at times last season.

The only thing I can think at this stage is we can’t afford to pay him off.
I think the owner either doesn't care, or thinks the best option is to persist with Heckingbottom.

If that strikes you as odd, it's merely one addition to the other odd decisions we've made since promotion.

Saturday was awful and the manager takes some responsibility for that performance. As he did for the two previous games against Brighton and Wolves, which yielded four points.

Our relegation was set before a ball had been kicked. Anyone with the most basic understanding of the Premier League understands that promoted teams who are serious about surviving in the “big league” need to sign next season’s best two players, not sell them. Hecky knew what was coming (or not!) and that’s why he tried to keep last season’s squad together. Banking on organisation and unity to keep us competitive. Berge and Ndiaye leaving, and a devastating injury list has made an incredibly difficult task, look impossible.

I would struggle to make a case for any of Saturday’s squad getting a start in any other Premier League team. Maybe McBurnie, Anel and McAtee would get a start at Luton. That’s not down to Hecky, who is playing the hand he’s been dealt. We are just not good enough.

Wilder brought in ten players in his first window, four or five more in January 2017 and ten more the following summer. Hecky has not had anything like that opportunity to rebuild but still got us up and there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t do so again if given the chance.

There’s also a bigger picture in play here, with a well run Academy still producing good players, who see a pathway to the first team. Hecky is possibly the first manager since Shirecliffe was built who really gets it.

Those screaming loudest for change need to come up with a coherent argument for what and who makes it better given the current squad, injured list and lack of funds. Hecky has already proved he is a capable manager. They are hard to come by. We are in very real danger of making a bad situation considerably worse.
I admire your patience and I’ve been for the bigger picture as in long term view as well.

But Saturday was a tipping point.

We just had no tactics offensively at all.

Whack it up to the small man seemed to be it.

I can’t get behind such a cowardly
performance at home to a supposed rival.

It’s not just the what it is the how. We know he didn’t get the best of backing. But the basics have even fallen away. The whole is far less than the sum of the parts and that is down to the manager.

Saturday was awful and the manager takes some responsibility for that performance. As he did for the two previous games against Brighton and Wolves, which yielded four points.

Our relegation was set before a ball had been kicked. Anyone with the most basic understanding of the Premier League understands that promoted teams who are serious about surviving in the “big league” need to sign next season’s best two players, not sell them. Hecky knew what was coming (or not!) and that’s why he tried to keep last season’s squad together. Banking on organisation and unity to keep us competitive. Berge and Ndiaye leaving, and a devastating injury list has made an incredibly difficult task, look impossible.

I would struggle to make a case for any of Saturday’s squad getting a start in any other Premier League team. Maybe McBurnie, Anel and McAtee would get a start at Luton. That’s not down to Hecky, who is playing the hand he’s been dealt. We are just not good enough.

Wilder brought in ten players in his first window, four or five more in January 2017 and ten more the following summer. Hecky has not had anything like that opportunity to rebuild but still got us up and there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t do so again if given the chance.

There’s also a bigger picture in play here, with a well run Academy still producing good players, who see a pathway to the first team. Hecky is possibly the first manager since Shirecliffe was built who really gets it.

Those screaming loudest for change need to come up with a coherent argument for what and who makes it better given the current squad, injured list and lack of funds. Hecky has already proved he is a capable manager. They are hard to come by. We are in very real danger of making a bad situation considerably worse.
I said the same. Time to buckle down and stick with him.

He isn’t going anywhere so let’s hope he can fix it.

I’m in the wrong job if the going rate is a million pound a year for a PE teacher.

For those who think we should sack PH: where's the money coming from to pay him off (and most likely the entire coaching team too)? And where's the money to bring in a new manager and his staff? Allardyce cost Leeds half a million quid for just the final few games of the season. How much would he cost us from November? You might as well propose Pep as the next manager. It isn't going to happen.

For those who think we should sack PH: where's the money coming from to pay him off (and most likely the entire coaching team too)? And where's the money to bring in a new manager and his staff? Allardyce cost Leeds half a million quid for just the final few games of the season. How much would he cost us from November? You might as well propose Pep as the next manager. It isn't going to happen.
From the TV money.

We may not have enough to sign players, but we have enough for those tasks.

I would be stunned if Heckingbottom is not the lowest paid manager in the division.

we are on course to shatter one of derbys records, they hold the record for most conceded in a 38 game season with 89, were on course for 99

The owner and the board are to blame for this situation and them only. You don't get promoted to the best league in the world with a team worse than won promotion. We didn't recruit Premier league players because we haven't the money instead we sign lower division foreign players that have never played in this country let alone the Premier league and are expecting them to be world beaters. Championship players at least know the intensity of this league but the team we have built is a Championship side not a Premier league one. Everyone can say what about Luton, they are on a roll like we did last time unfortunately we have been set up to fail and it's embarrassing but this is not Heckys fault

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our defence to man mark players for crosses and set pieces, instead of letting them go?

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our players to make off ball runs into space for players to pass the ball into ahead of them, instead of standing around static expecting the ball to come to them?

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our players to complete a single pass to another red and white shirt?

Do you genuinely think another manager would come in and set up the team to defend a 0-0 draw from the first minute and only let the team attack when we're 2 or 3-0 down?

Do you genuinely think that another manager couldn't manage to get a shot on target at home before the 89th minute?

Do you genuinely think another manager would think a tactical change is bringing on Osborn? More to the point do you think another manager would have given another contract to Fleck, Basham and Osborn?

Do you genuinely think that another manager would end up playing the same tactics and serving up this pathetic horseshit every match?

Do you genuinely think that another manager would start Rhian Brewster when they knew he'd picked up a knock in training when he's still recovering from a serious long term injury?

Results might not change under another manager, but all of the above can. They're what the majority of clubs across the football leagues do and Hecky doesn't.

He has no plan B, as was evident last season, and now he doesn't seem to have a plan A.

Yes he was dealt a bad hand in the summer but he could get more from these players if he wasn't such a stubborn, tactical, scared chicken.The lack of tactics, imbalance in midfield, and terrible performances as a result are 100% on him. He chooses the formation, he chooses the players, he chooses the tactics. He chooses when to make changes in matches, which he doesn't do or leaves it far too late when the game is lost. He needs to go as he has embarrassed this club and himself. He should leave with some dignity and pride before his legacy and name will be associated with the title of worst Premier League manager in history.
Very well put. These are all professional footballers, playing in their own positions. Surely they have shown themselves to be better footballers than they are currently showing. If so, something is stopping them performing at an even barely acceptable level. And surely it’s the managers job to get them to improve or get the best out of them.
Hecky has done good things for this club but he isn’t doing anymore, therefore it’s time to try someone else.

The blame is heavier towards the owner who doesn't give a toss but that doesn't stop hecky trying to change things up instead of playing the same shit week in week out.

He's devoid of any ideas and starts every game to win a point not all 3. He often makes strange and late subs and doesn't have a clue how to counter act anything going off in the game.

He's like a shit Gareth Southgate (who is absolutely terrible himself) - that is the only way to describe hecky currently.

it's pretty obvious how teams set up and why we are playing so badly and whst we need to do to change it but he's stuck in his ways or more worryingly he doesn't see the issue.

As many said on here if it wasn't for illi and 2nd half of the season macca then I very much doubt we would have got promoted last season (which most games was dull, slow and uninspiring, even though it got the job done for us).

If there hadn’t been all the nonsense about Wilder coming back I think a much higher proportion of the support would be clamouring for Hecky to go. But that clouded the issue a bit because a large number don’t want Wilder anywhere near the place. I think there are quite a few who would prefer to stick it out with Hecky if the alternative to that is Wilder. If Wilder had taken another job or otherwise ruled himself out maybe things would be different.

Great shout. I think the lack of enthusiasm for wanting Hecky to go is because we all know he will be replaced by Wilder. Maybe it will work but it doesn't feel particularly exciting or like a new era for the club which is what you usually get with a new appointment.

I might be reading too much into it but Wilders mates seen to have been a little more vocal about his return on Twitter. If we're going to give it to him then I'd rather get it out of the way now on a short team deal.

Back
Top Bottom