Accept the inevitable and stick with Hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
Saturday was awful and the manager takes some responsibility for that performance. As he did for the two previous games against Brighton and Wolves, which yielded four points.

Our relegation was set before a ball had been kicked. Anyone with the most basic understanding of the Premier League understands that promoted teams who are serious about surviving in the “big league” need to sign next season’s best two players, not sell them. Hecky knew what was coming (or not!) and that’s why he tried to keep last season’s squad together. Banking on organisation and unity to keep us competitive. Berge and Ndiaye leaving, and a devastating injury list has made an incredibly difficult task, look impossible.

I would struggle to make a case for any of Saturday’s squad getting a start in any other Premier League team. Maybe McBurnie, Anel and McAtee would get a start at Luton. That’s not down to Hecky, who is playing the hand he’s been dealt. We are just not good enough.

Wilder brought in ten players in his first window, four or five more in January 2017 and ten more the following summer. Hecky has not had anything like that opportunity to rebuild but still got us up and there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t do so again if given the chance.

There’s also a bigger picture in play here, with a well run Academy still producing good players, who see a pathway to the first team. Hecky is possibly the first manager since Shirecliffe was built who really gets it.

Those screaming loudest for change need to come up with a coherent argument for what and who makes it better given the current squad, injured list and lack of funds. Hecky has already proved he is a capable manager. They are hard to come by. We are in very real danger of making a bad situation considerably worse.

Saturday was awful and the manager takes some responsibility for that performance. As he did for the two previous games against Brighton and Wolves, which yielded four points.

Our relegation was set before a ball had been kicked. Anyone with the most basic understanding of the Premier League understands that promoted teams who are serious about surviving in the “big league” need to sign next season’s best two players, not sell them. Hecky knew what was coming (or not!) and that’s why he tried to keep last season’s squad together. Banking on organisation and unity to keep us competitive. Berge and Ndiaye leaving, and a devastating injury list has made an incredibly difficult task, look impossible.

I would struggle to make a case for any of Saturday’s squad getting a start in any other Premier League team. Maybe McBurnie, Anel and McAtee would get a start at Luton. That’s not down to Hecky, who is playing the hand he’s been dealt. We are just not good enough.

Wilder brought in ten players in his first window, four or five more in January 2017 and ten more the following summer. Hecky has not had anything like that opportunity to rebuild but still got us up and there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t do so again if given the chance.

There’s also a bigger picture in play here, with a well run Academy still producing good players, who see a pathway to the first team. Hecky is possibly the first manager since Shirecliffe was built who really gets it.

Those screaming loudest for change need to come up with a coherent argument for what and who makes it better given the current squad, injured list and lack of funds. Hecky has already proved he is a capable manager. They are hard to come by. We are in very real danger of making a bad situation considerably worse.
Good post, I felt exactly the same, but I've changed my mind. We just want to see at least a bit of heart and fight. The Newcastle game was inexcusable but to then repeat it against Bournemouth, in fact it was arguably a worse performance truth be told.

YeH bUt InJuRiEs

Blokes decimated the squad with injuries every season he’s been in charge. We’re by far the most unfit team in the division and our strength and conditioning team are quite clearly not managing our players well enough.

Anyone who’s still putting it down to bad luck and using it as an excuse for the manager is deluded beyond belief

Sorry mate, well worded post, but honestly, can you honestly put up with many more performances like Newcastle and Bournemouth? He’s a nice bloke who has done a good job, but it is the same as at a lot of football clubs, there always comes the time for a change. And for us, that time is now, both for us and for Hecky.

We will probably still go down, but we need fresh ideas to motivate this squad & try & instil some belief & confidence.

FFS. I have no idea how long it's taken you to write this post but if you honestly believe that PH should still be managing our club then you are thick as PIG SHIT.

If we stick with him can you imagine the morale, we’ll be in our knees, stripped bare of any sort of leadership.

When a leader can no longer inspire and command respect then they are shot, any other business would have got rid months ago.

The club needs a fresh start.

Couldn't disagree more with the opening poster. Get rid of Hecky now. He's got to go. I still believe that if we get rid of him now we still have a squeak of a chance at staying up, mainly cos there are a few other clubs who are crap. Keep him, and the we will have less squeak than a decomposed mouse.

Like everyone else has said, if we were showing heart, passion and fight then I would agree.

But Hecky has lost that in this team and it needs someone new to try and bring it back.

Time for Hecky to go I'm afraid.

If there hadn’t been all the nonsense about Wilder coming back I think a much higher proportion of the support would be clamouring for Hecky to go. But that clouded the issue a bit because a large number don’t want Wilder anywhere near the place. I think there are quite a few who would prefer to stick it out with Hecky if the alternative to that is Wilder. If Wilder had taken another job or otherwise ruled himself out maybe things would be different.

Couldn't disagree more with the opening poster. Get rid of Hecky now. He's got to go. I still believe that if we get rid of him now we still have a squeak of a chance at staying up, mainly cos there are a few other clubs who are crap. Keep him, and the we will have less squeak than a decomposed mouse.
Like a lot of fans, I've been on the fence about him. Saturday made my mind up, he's got to go.

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our defence to man mark players for crosses and set pieces, instead of letting them go?

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our players to make off ball runs into space for players to pass the ball into ahead of them, instead of standing around static expecting the ball to come to them?

Do you genuinely think that no other manager would get our players to complete a single pass to another red and white shirt?

Do you genuinely think another manager would come in and set up the team to defend a 0-0 draw from the first minute and only let the team attack when we're 2 or 3-0 down?

Do you genuinely think that another manager couldn't manage to get a shot on target at home before the 89th minute?

Do you genuinely think another manager would think a tactical change is bringing on Osborn? More to the point do you think another manager would have given another contract to Fleck, Basham and Osborn?

Do you genuinely think that another manager would end up playing the same tactics and serving up this pathetic horseshit every match?

Do you genuinely think that another manager would start Rhian Brewster when they knew he'd picked up a knock in training when he's still recovering from a serious long term injury?

Results might not change under another manager, but all of the above can. They're what the majority of clubs across the football leagues do and Hecky doesn't.

He has no plan B, as was evident last season, and now he doesn't seem to have a plan A.

Yes he was dealt a bad hand in the summer but he could get more from these players if he wasn't such a stubborn, tactical, scared chicken.The lack of tactics, imbalance in midfield, and terrible performances as a result are 100% on him. He chooses the formation, he chooses the players, he chooses the tactics. He chooses when to make changes in matches, which he doesn't do or leaves it far too late when the game is lost. He needs to go as he has embarrassed this club and himself. He should leave with some dignity and pride before his legacy and name will be associated with the title of worst Premier League manager in history.

Last edited:
And lose to Burnley Saturday? We carry on? Why is there so much apathy on here to accept we are crap and continue with the manager? Would this be acceptible any other season? Can you honestly tell me you would be happy to see more games like Newcastle and Bournemouth? Truly honestly not think someone with fresh ideas might have a different way of utilising the players we've got? Perhaps give them more belief? Perhaps make them think they can go out and get results?

Or sod it stick as it is and suffer the same for another 25 games?

So the main reasons being put up for changing the manager are a crap performance against Bournemouth, no passion or fight and blaming Hecky for the run of injuries.

Bournemouth followed two decent performances and four points. “No passion or fight” is a standard riposte when a team is performing badly. I say we lack quality and identity, not fight. And there is zero evidence that our injuries are down to Hecky or his methods. Injuries seem to be happening ever more frequently at the top level. Other clubs have squad depth to cope.

If there’s a better plan that improves our chances of staying up, let’s see it? Otherwise, it’s about accepting this season will continue to be tough with more Bournemouths to come and giving ourselves the best chance of getting back up.

We’ve won 1 in 13 games and got battered 8-0 5-0 and play dogshit with no fight that’s a good enough reason to fuck him off

So the main reasons being put up for changing the manager are a crap performance against Bournemouth, no passion or fight and blaming Hecky for the run of injuries.

Bournemouth followed two decent performances and four points. “No passion or fight” is a standard riposte when a team is performing badly. I say we lack quality and identity, not fight. And there is zero evidence that our injuries are down to Hecky or his methods. Injuries seem to be happening ever more frequently at the top level. Other clubs have squad depth to cope.

If there’s a better plan that improves our chances of staying up, let’s see it? Otherwise, it’s about accepting this season will continue to be tough with more Bournemouths to come and giving ourselves the best chance of getting back up.
The injuries didn't happen under Slav, but they started as soon as Hecky arrived. They then continued throughout last season and now into this season. We never had this problem under Warnock, Blackwell, Adams, Speed, Clough, Adkins, or Wilder. We've had it constantly under Hecky and fans of Hibs and Leeds warned us about this when we appointed him permanent manager, as they all said his injury record at these clubs were awful. The number of injuries we've had under Hecky is ridiculous and I 100% blame him, especially when he starts Brewster knowing that he was carrying a knock in training, which has resulted in him going off injured in the match. That's plain and simple stupidity and poor management. The fact he then has the balls to bemoan injuries after is a joke, mind you that's the only time he's shown he's got any balls all season.

Pull the other one. It's not coincidence or bad luck. Why are the players still not looking match fit by the end of November and struggling to get to 90 minutes? Under Wilder the fitness levels were unreal.

It isn't even about the inevitable, it's about the basics.....

I don't even believe us lot to be fickle, in fact we are quite realistic. If we go down, then we go down.... it is what it is.

I would go as far as saying thay you dont even have to be technically gifted to earn respect at Sheffid United Football Club. All you need is a pair of cast iron bollocks and a bit of steam in the tank.

Followed two decent results, not performances, we were toothless in both first halves and against a better forward line the pen and red wouldn't have made one difference as we would have been dead and buried. The first half at Brighton was as bad as Bournemouth we were just lucky Pedro and Mitoma were rested, Adingra still managed to make our defense look like U9s for his goal.
Get him out, every game we give him is giving up points.

I agree with the OP as to what other manager could work miracles is hard to tell. Why is it going so wrong with S&C is worrying too.

The contract for Hecky unlike most of the squad is until 2026 at a reported £1mill a year. The compo deal now is easily £2.5million if we were to get rid and that’s just him.

Then it’s who do you replace him with several posts with possible solutions with an under contract manager, if you are flying high in League 1 or even stable or punching above in the Championship are you likely to want to make the move to a club with limited resources and likely to be in the Championship next season?

No....it's crap performances in every match this season apart from 1st half Man Utd and 2nd half Wolves.
We were below average against Forest and Everton but it was acceptable.

Many of our games we've been so far off the mark I've never seen any United side as bad in over 50 years.
Home to Man City and away to Spurs the opposition had 30 shots and we hardly touched the ball.
Normally you'd say.....did we create any chances but this team has long spells not even venturing into the opponents half.
It's bizarre how we can't even string 3 or 4 passes together, instead we have Norwood booting it upfield straight back to the opposition.

When you think back we were so unconvincing last season....
Found it weird how we did manage to play some quality football for 20 minutes most matches and we'd generally score in that spell.
However almost every match we had a 20 minute spell where we were really poor struggling to string 3 passes together.
Also found it weird how a team 2nd in the league would park the bus for the last 20 minutes of most matches defending in numbers desperately trying to hold the lead. So the warning signs were there last season.
We had the 4th highest budget in the league, easily one of the best squads but without N'Diaye (the best player in the league)
I'm certain we'd have been mid table. Fans of opposing teams often commented that we looked average and they had no idea how we were 2nd, where as under Wilder fans of opposing teams were always impressed by our pass and move football.

I sit near a few older Blades...who are normally quite intelligent and reasonable and we can't see a plan.
In fact we've been saying for weeks the plan seems to be.....play a containing conserving energy 1st half hoping it's 0-0 at half time.
Then the opposition think we're shit and totally underestimate us (like Wolves did), then we raise our energy levels for the 2nd half
and try to be more positive shocking the opposition....if we score then we sit back in numbers hoping for a 1-0 win.

We don't have a functioning midfield, there's zero interplay or understanding, it's nothing to do with money, even teams in non league football have a plan and play to a system. United remind me of an international team...where the players play for some other team but they've landed on our doorstep a few days ago and Hecky has only had 2 or 3 sessions on the training pitch working with them. McAtee, Hamer and Archer are great on the ball but with us, they spend most of the game out of possession chasing the ball, why don't we play to players strengths?

I like Hecky as a bloke and he does deserve massive respect for doing the business last season.
My view that Hecky never laid any foundations last season, he took a pragmatic approach and was prepared to do anything to gain promotion. It worked...he saved us from financial meltdown. However a present we look miles off Championship standard, never mind PL standard.

We need someone...anyone...to come in...and build "a team". Very confident we'd instantly improve (performance wise) with Wilder or even Warnock. At present we're just a bunch of decent individual players who don't know how they fit system. That is the managers fault.

Last edited:
I can accept we aren’t good enough and are going down, that’s been clear since the potless prince set the budget in the summer.. that’s on him.

What I cannot accept is the not trying or giving a shit attitude I saw on Saturday… that’s on the manager

I agree with the OP as to what other manager could work miracles is hard to tell. Why is it going so wrong with S&C is worrying too.

The contract for Hecky unlike most of the squad is until 2026 at a reported £1mill a year. The compo deal now is easily £2.5million if we were to get rid and that’s just him.

Then it’s who do you replace him with several posts with possible solutions with an under contract manager, if you are flying high in League 1 or even stable or punching above in the Championship are you likely to want to make the move to a club with limited resources and likely to be in the Championship next season?

Organising a team, having a plan A, having tactics is not working miracles.
The most common sense approach would be a gauranteed improvement under Wilder or even Warnock short term.

I've seen the relegation PL teams under Bassett, Warnock and Wilder and those teams were no where near as bad as this team.

Today's players are no worse than the Wilder relegation team that was competing closely but losing 1-0 most weeks because we couldn't score. Don't mind us losing....don't even mind us being relegated but I do expect us to compete, have a few attacks and try hard.

I'm being serious here.....most matches this season remind me of when a league 2 side plays against a PL side in the FA cup.
I reckon non-league Chesterfield would have given Bournmouth a much tougher game....they would have, at least tried to win.

Last edited:
Organising a team, having a plan A, having tactics is not working miracles.
The most common sense approach would be a gauranteed improvement under Wilder or even Warnock short term.

I've seen the relegation PL teams under Bassett, Warnock and Wilder and those teams were no where near as bad as this team.

Today's players are no worse than the Wilder relegation team that was competing closely but losing 1-0 most weeks because we couldn't score. Don't mind us losing....don't even mind us being relegated but I do expect us to compete, have a few attacks and try hard.
Not disagreeing that performances are up to scratch and the effort isn’t there but is the suggestion to pay probably around £3million + to clear out Hecky and the team and bring in who is the main question. In theory we could give Hecky the U23s job again to save the compo

When we were soundly beaten by Palace, the general consensus was, missing Illi and Sander, crap pre-season, will improve once new signings bed in.

12 games later, we're worse.

This ^^^^^

I had backed PH to turn this around, and it took the Arsenal result to make me first call for a change. Two rather fortunate, but very welcome results cooled me off, but Saturday was worse than anything Adkins, Weir or even Adrian fucking Heath contrived to serve up. Unfortunately, we have had too many similar servings already this season.

Bar a miracle, he is not turning this around and it will get very toxic, very soon. Noone in the stands will put up with much more of it.

Not disagreeing that performances are up to scratch and the effort isn’t there but is the suggestion to pay probably around £3million + to clear out Hecky and the team and bring in who is the main question. In theory we could give Hecky the U23s job again to save the compo

Agree.....it's quite common for fans to simplistically say "get rid" etc, sometimes with a few insults thrown in.

However the reality is....the owner needs to have an alternative already lined up.
Also it's not just the manager but also the backroom staff.
Then it's, do we bring in the new man as a short term option (like a Warnock) or do we plan for the future with a young up and coming manager but then who ever we bring in, is likely to be scarred by having a relegation on their CV.

Also the new man would still have a fairly long part of the season left, so if the new man does exactly the same as Hecky
then morale will be low for next season, so it might be tempting to bring in a new man, start afresh, at the start of next season.
Also as you say, Hecky was rated as academy manager, so is it possible to retain his services in the Academy then would he accept it?

If there are no viable alternatives and no plan...then by default we have no choice but to stick with Hecky until it becomes too toxic.

Back
Top Bottom