Accept the inevitable and stick with Hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The owner and the board are to blame for this situation and them only. You don't get promoted to the best league in the world with a team worse than won promotion. We didn't recruit Premier league players because we haven't the money instead we sign lower division foreign players that have never played in this country let alone the Premier league and are expecting them to be world beaters. Championship players at least know the intensity of this league but the team we have built is a Championship side not a Premier league one. Everyone can say what about Luton, they are on a roll like we did last time unfortunately we have been set up to fail and it's embarrassing but this is not Heckys fault

Can never understand the line of thought that if someone has valid excuses and a difficult job then there’s no accountability.

It’s like when during covid when people were told they must now leave the office and work from home. It’s a difficult job being isolated with minimal support but if you discover that employee has sat at home watching Netflix every day for several weeks, do you hold them accountable for their actions or say “ah it was Covid times so its reasonable to expect staff not to work”?

Agree that Hecky has has a terrible pre-season (not his fault), spent 60 million and brought in 30 million, so had a 30 mil net spend, which seems OK but we needed more and lost his best player but it’s like he’s packed up and this attitude has transferred over to the players.
Instead of thinking about the problems, think about things that Hecky can control as a manager and he’s currently poor in almost everything he can control and the signs were their last season too.

You say we’ve bought Championship players so why are we not playing like a Championship standard team? We looked 2 or 3 divisions below Bournemouth on Saturday. Why do the players look like they’ve just met each other and don’t seem sure what to do? We don’t even look like a team, no cohesion, no set pieces from the training ground, no one running into to space or making runs expecting the ball.

Great shout. I think the lack of enthusiasm for wanting Hecky to go is because we all know he will be replaced by Wilder. Maybe it will work but it doesn't feel particularly exciting or like a new era for the club which is what you usually get with a new appointment.

I might be reading too much into it but Wilders mates seen to have been a little more vocal about his return on Twitter. If we're going to give it to him then I'd rather get it out of the way now on a short team deal.
Wilder is actively trying to engineer his return, I have been told.

Being pragmatic about it, we always knew we would be relegated before a ball was kicked. That was always the noise from the chosen voices - HRH saved the club in Jan, now it's about shoring up the damage of the 20/21 transfer window and coming back stronger next season. Most agreed with the principle and off we went.

What we're actually seeing- funnily enough - is how that would play out on Champ Manager, just leave it to run its' course and come back next season. Again, the pragmatic approach.

But, I'm pragmatic 6 days a week already, I'm even pragmatic travelling 4 hours for home games and whatever for some awaydays, I'm even, even pragmatic pre-match ( not post tbf). What I'm not going to do, is be pragmatic for those two hours in the ground. That's the fulcrum of all the emotional , physical and financial energy committed to SUFC for that week and I want to see something, no matter how small, that gives me a reward, no matter how small ( see how conditioned I've become for crumbs from the table already?) that stirs my soul.

And.....nothing. I will be very sorry that a dignified man is going to lose his job when a large part of that is directly down to external influence, so please Paul, if it's not too late and you're already down the road - give us something, anything, but let's switch off the pragmatism during game time please.

Keep PH go down he gets us up then what? Let him have another crack at it?

I saw the recent Youtube video with Big Sam and Billy Sharp being interviewed.
Sharp said that he still hopes to continue playing and needs to stay fit playing with players
So he's been in contact with Hecky about training with the players, and he's not returned his call.
He says he thinks the club, for some reason, aren't allowing him to train at Shirecliffe.

Made me think that maybe Hecky says Sharp as a threat to his manager status.
He knows Sharp is close to Wilder, so Sharp could be chatting to players about the morale and issues at the club.
This is then reported back to Wilder, who can then make negotiations about a return with his eyes fully wide open.

In the interview Sharp admitted he doesnt expect to ever play for Sheff United again, he said he still thinks he can operate in the Championship and is looking for clubs there this season and admitted he would even listen to offers to join Sheff Wed this season.

When asked about returning to Sheff Utd as coach or assistant manager he re-instated that he loves the club
and will be willing to do anything to help out, made it clear, coaching at Sheff Utd would be an attractive proposition.

Can only stick with Hecky if you’re prepared to give him all of next season as well.

We’re staring down the barrel of a massive rebuild where most of the senior players will be gone next season. If the club thinks Hecky is the man for that then fair enough but you can’t stick with him now and sack him in October next year that would be ridiculously stupid.

If Hecky is on the hot seat better to move on now and give whichever manager is going to be tasked with the rebuild time to evaluate the players he will have left and start getting players acclimatised to his way of playing before next season.

Keep PH go down he gets us up then what? Let him have another crack at it?

There's enough evidence to suggest that without N'Diaye (or another individual player capable for magic) we've no chance of coming back.
Also this season we don't look anywhere near Championship standard.
An average Championship team wouldn't be losing any home matches 8-0 or being outclassed, hardly having a single shot most weeks.
I've seen the Bassett, Warnock and Wilder relegation teams and they all competed and looked far better than his team.

When Archer and Hamer first joined us....they both looked talented and exciting players.
Since their promising debuts...both have gone backwards. Hamer looks like he can't function and is playing in a position he doesn't like.
Archer is being used as a greyhound, asked to chase aimless balls and asked to outjump defenders a few inch taller than him.
It's hardly rocket science but why not practice in training passing the ball to feet?

Players like Hamer, McAtee and even Norwood are good on the ball but poor without the ball.
We need to practice pass and move like we did under Wilder, have spells of keeping possession to take the pressure off the defence.

Just watched the wrexham season 2 Blades bit. Reminded me of the fight we used to have even without the talent. I forgot how fit and in our faces they were and how much fun being a fan looked. I do not believe someone could not get more out of this side i really do not.

Its strange, with the 5 year pass you would think Hecky could just go for it in every match.

Maybe one day we might get fight and talent in our lifetime 😄.

Hecky's Championship record is with us is auto promotion form for two seasons running. That isn't a fluke. If we're going down, there's no-one I'd prefer to be in charge at the start of next season. Even Wilder had a 10th-place finish before he took us up.

Reeks of desperation if true.

Not sure what is more tinpot.. an unemployed manager trying to engineer his own return.. or a board who is willing to entertain that idea.

Reeks of desperation if true.

Not sure what is more tinpot.. an unemployed manager trying to engineer his own return.. or a board who is willing to entertain that idea.
I'm not entirely convinced that it does. At the end of the day, he is a United fan, and if I were in his shoes, I would also want the chance to rectify the mistakes made during his last season.

As a board, they have a lot to consider when it comes to Wilder. After all, he was the manager who brought them success during his tenure. However, he was also responsible for some significant issues towards the end.

There's enough evidence to suggest that without N'Diaye (or another individual player capable for magic) we've no chance of coming back.
Also this season we don't look anywhere near Championship standard.
An average Championship team wouldn't be losing any home matches 8-0 or being outclassed, hardly having a single shot most weeks.
I've seen the Bassett, Warnock and Wilder relegation teams and they all competed and looked far better than his team.

When Archer and Hamer first joined us....they both looked talented and exciting players.
Since their promising debuts...both have gone backwards. Hamer looks like he can't function and is playing in a position he doesn't like.
Archer is being used as a greyhound, asked to chase aimless balls and asked to outjump defenders a few inch taller than him.
It's hardly rocket science but why not practice in training passing the ball to feet?

Players like Hamer, McAtee and even Norwood are good on the ball but poor without the ball.
We need to practice pass and move like we did under Wilder, have spells of keeping possession to take the pressure off the defence.

Not sure if you saw my post as pro keeping him but I can assure you I have never been in favour of him being in charge. My point was for those in favour of keeping him because he got us out of the championship. Which if he achieved again we would be in the exact same position we are in now

Agree.....it's quite common for fans to simplistically say "get rid" etc, sometimes with a few insults thrown in.

However the reality is....the owner needs to have an alternative already lined up.
Also it's not just the manager but also the backroom staff.
Then it's, do we bring in the new man as a short term option (like a Warnock) or do we plan for the future with a young up and coming manager but then who ever we bring in, is likely to be scarred by having a relegation on their CV.

Also the new man would still have a fairly long part of the season left, so if the new man does exactly the same as Hecky
then morale will be low for next season, so it might be tempting to bring in a new man, start afresh, at the start of next season.
Also as you say, Hecky was rated as academy manager, so is it possible to retain his services in the Academy then would he accept it?

If there are no viable alternatives and no plan...then by default we have no choice but to stick with Hecky until it becomes too toxic.
Can't honestly see that happening mate, more Bournemouth performances and it will get even more toxic, people just ain't going to pay hard ernt money watching this tripe much longer and say nowt!

The Prince said (on Sky Sports News, I think) he wanted Chris Wilder to stay, even if we were relegated (we were), as he thought he was the best placed man to bring us straight back up. I assume he thinks the same of PH.

Regardless of opinions, due to the car crash at board / ownership level, nothing is likely to change. The club won't be sold for what the Prince wants because we are a below average Championship set up. He's desperate to save money wherever he can, so will not pay off the manager.

For me, the only question is, at what point does PH call it a day? It must already be taking its toll, though he hides it better than Wilder. Also, he will not want to be tainted with the stigma of breaking all sorts of awful records. At this stage his career is in credit - just about - and he could take on a decent sized league one or smaller championship club. The longer he stays, the less chance he has of doing this.

He needs to weigh up his long term career prospects against short term financial security.

No we fuckin won’t, no way.
Nailed it one of two things majority of the squad out of contract we offer 12 month extensions or we throw the kids in i know which option i prefer and it's not the one that watches Norwood directing traffic ...UTB

Good post. Hecky has proven himself over the past couple of seasons. We showed plenty of passion and fight then.

As you said, we've been dealt a very poor hand. Best players sold. Injuries. No more money. There are many good arguments for keeping Hecky regardless of relegation. He's a proven manager who knows the club and is well-liked. If we change the manager and results don't improve there will be calls for the new bloke to go too.

Agree that the 'lacking passion' criticism is bollocks. We were as desperate to win as Bournemouth. The difference was that they had better players.

Continuity is an asset. We'll be challenging for promotion again next season if we keep PH. Getting a new manager in is a step into the unknown, and it's unlikely that results will improve as a result.

That's not to say Hecky is above criticism. We should have started with Anel and McB on Saturday. Hopefully PH is learning from his mistakes.

Many people are saying we should sack him, but there doesn't seem to be much agreement on who could replace him. Any new appointee is likely to divide the fans, and decent managers (and their staff) cost money. We're skint.
so you are happy to leave things as they are and take some more 4-5-6 and more thrashings because its a certainty they are coming and how do you think our support and players will deal with that? any hope for "next season" will be shattered before we start - never mind becoming the laughing stock of football

If Hecky stays for next season and the general malaise throught the club continues we'll see the biggest drop in ST sales in years. Hopefully we're factoring that in to our budget for next season.

By the time this season ends we'll all be battered and disinterested if we're not already. We'll be looking at a transition season or two with no money and if by some fluke we got promoted again with the Prince the preception is we'd likely come back down again.

Whether it's Hecky's fault or the Prince's fault or both to a degree, unless at least one goes we could be heading into the wilderness.

Saturday was awful and the manager takes some responsibility for that performance. As he did for the two previous games against Brighton and Wolves, which yielded four points.

Our relegation was set before a ball had been kicked. Anyone with the most basic understanding of the Premier League understands that promoted teams who are serious about surviving in the “big league” need to sign next season’s best two players, not sell them. Hecky knew what was coming (or not!) and that’s why he tried to keep last season’s squad together. Banking on organisation and unity to keep us competitive. Berge and Ndiaye leaving, and a devastating injury list has made an incredibly difficult task, look impossible.

I would struggle to make a case for any of Saturday’s squad getting a start in any other Premier League team. Maybe McBurnie, Anel and McAtee would get a start at Luton. That’s not down to Hecky, who is playing the hand he’s been dealt. We are just not good enough.

Wilder brought in ten players in his first window, four or five more in January 2017 and ten more the following summer. Hecky has not had anything like that opportunity to rebuild but still got us up and there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t do so again if given the chance.

There’s also a bigger picture in play here, with a well run Academy still producing good players, who see a pathway to the first team. Hecky is possibly the first manager since Shirecliffe was built who really gets it.

Those screaming loudest for change need to come up with a coherent argument for what and who makes it better given the current squad, injured list and lack of funds. Hecky has already proved he is a capable manager. They are hard to come by. We are in very real danger of making a bad situation considerably worse.
The manager has to take full responsibility for that debacle of a performance. This team is not going to set the prem on fire but they can do much better. They need a good rollicking, which i dont believe Hecky has in him. If you thought we were going to stay up I think you need some reality pills. As to who to bring in to change things, why not look at G Potter, R Hasenhuttl, or D Smith. They have all built sides which challenged for more than mid division. Just because they have been on mega bucks before doesnt mean they cant or wont drop down levels on the pay scale. We need to build with what we have got and a few additions, theres the rub, will PA sanction any spending?

The manager has to take full responsibility for that debacle of a performance. This team is not going to set the prem on fire but they can do much better. They need a good rollicking, which i dont believe Hecky has in him. If you thought we were going to stay up I think you need some reality pills. As to who to bring in to change things, why not look at G Potter, R Hasenhuttl, or D Smith. They have all built sides which challenged for more than mid division. Just because they have been on mega bucks before doesnt mean they cant or wont drop down levels on the pay scale. We need to build with what we have got and a few additions, theres the rub, will PA sanction any spending?
Got more chance of winning the lottery than Potter or Hasenhuttl walking through the door.

For those who think we should sack PH: where's the money coming from to pay him off (and most likely the entire coaching team too)? And where's the money to bring in a new manager and his staff? Allardyce cost Leeds half a million quid for just the final few games of the season. How much would he cost us from November? You might as well propose Pep as the next manager. It isn't going to happen.
If it doesn't change its only going to get worse and more toxic, he hasn't a fucking clue at this level.

Back
Top Bottom