A lot better

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For me:

Long 7/10. Great stop in the first half at the near post. Couple of key moments where it counted. Couldn't much be blamed for their goal (it was right in the corner)

Westlake 7.5/10. Much improved and willing to get forward to support the attack

Collins 7.5/10. Good solid performance. Between him and Harry, not one lumped forward pass between them.

Maguire 7.5/10. Will learn how to deal with twats like Showpony. Shame he just took his eye off the game at that moment but positioning and the goal was excellent

Williams 7/10. Bombed forward and got involved

McGinn 7/10. He will get used to his role. Impressed

Doyle (wait for it ... ) 8/10. I felt he did really well being the hub of the spokes, so to speak. Plenty of options and created so much better chances

Brandy 9/10. Work rate, effort, tenacity, skill and pure energy. Well impressed with this bloke.

Murphy 6/10. Flattered to deceive, although there were some spells where he actually might go ahead and do something

McDonald 8.5/10. Likes his new role and took the goal well. Was te focus of some pretty fierce tackling and treatment

Porter 3/10. One glimmer of consistency pointing back over the last two unsavoury seasons. Fucking woeful. Get him sold.

Subs:

Taylor 6/10. For a sub debut, he did well and looked dangerous. I see potential in this bloke

McFadzean 6/10. Another lad who needs some starts and team play

Coady 7/10. Looks very composed on the ball

Blades: Fabulous improvement. Not one ball lumped forward all game. The only long balls were across the pitch to switch play to our newly installed wingers. Loved the 'play it out from defence' and the patient 'keep the ball from the opposition' style which I felt the players could see was more easy than even they believed. And getting it into the channels and crossing - when have we ever done that since Tonge and Ndlovu? Goals taken very well - great to see us get one from open play with some great pressing and putting NC on the back foot and a brilliantly ghosted header from Harry. Ten minutes in the first and five in the second where we took the foot off the gas and great to see us pick ourselves up after their goal and just get back at them for the win, rather than panic/surge forward or give away a second goal after allowing them to press.

NCFC: Poor team who will struggle so it is important we dispatch them. Definatley a red card (payback for Kilgallon vs the shit if you ask me) and Brandy and Porter should have had penalties. Apart from two shots (one of which went in) did they do much else?

Crowd: Great to hear you lot

One game in, some definite improvements (remember my 'kicks off, passes back, BOOM!' post?) with pleasing football and I am optimistic.

pommpey

For me:

Long 7/10. Great stop in the first half at the near post. Couple of key moments where it counted. Couldn't much be blamed for their goal (it was right in the corner)

Westlake 7.5/10. Much improved and willing to get forward to support the attack

Collins 7.5/10. Good solid performance. Between him and Harry, not one lumped forward pass between them.

Maguire 7.5/10. Will learn how to deal with twats like Showpony. Shame he just took his eye off the game at that moment but positioning and the goal was excellent

Williams 7/10. Bombed forward and got involved

McGinn 7/10. He will get used to his role. Impressed

Doyle (wait for it ... ) 8/10. I felt he did really well being the hub of the spokes, so to speak. Plenty of options and created so much better chances

Brandy 9/10. Work rate, effort, tenacity, skill and pure energy. Well impressed with this bloke.

Murphy 6/10. Flattered to deceive, although there were some spells where he actually might go ahead and do something

McDonald 8.5/10. Likes his new role and took the goal well. Was te focus of some pretty fierce tackling and treatment

Porter 3/10. One glimmer of consistency pointing back over the last two unsavoury seasons. Fucking woeful. Get him sold.

Subs:

Taylor 6/10. For a sub debut, he did well and looked dangerous. I see potential in this bloke

McFadzean 6/10. Another lad who needs some starts and team play

Coady 7/10. Looks very composed on the ball

Blades: Fabulous improvement. Not one ball lumped forward all game. The only long balls were across the pitch to switch play to our newly installed wingers. Loved the 'play it out from defence' and the patient 'keep the ball from the opposition' style which I felt the players could see was more easy than even they believed. And getting it into the channels and crossing - when have we ever done that since Tonge and Ndlovu? Goals taken very well - great to see us get one from open play with some great pressing and putting NC on the back foot and a brilliantly ghosted header from Harry. Ten minutes in the first and five in the second where we took the foot off the gas and great to see us pick ourselves up after their goal and just get back at them for the win, rather than panic/surge forward or give away a second goal after allowing them to press.

NCFC: Poor team who will struggle so it is important we dispatch them. Definatley a red card (payback for Kilgallon vs the shit if you ask me) and Brandy and Porter should have had penalties. Apart from two shots (one of which went in) did they do much else?

Crowd: Great to hear you lot

One game in, some definite improvements (remember my 'kicks off, passes back, BOOM!' post?) with pleasing football and I am optimistic.

pommpey

Not sure if Maguire took his eye off it, i had the impression he was appealing for a foul. Either way it's not good enough, but everybody makes mistakes. I agree with Brandy, thought he was excellent. McDonald too. Westlake, who i really hated last season, had a good game. He looks loads better going forward than McMahon, i worry about him defensively though. Murphy is obviously a decent player, we need to get it out of him somehow. I fear we may cut our losses on him before the window shuts and i think that would be a big mistake.

Hmm. Somebody telling porkies somewhere then?

Kris Boyd insists he put his family first when he knocked back friend David Weir and his Sheffield United team to sign on again with Kilmarnock.

"I spoke to a few other teams during the summer, with the most tempting offer from Davie Weir at Sheffield United. We are close mates and Sheffield United are a big club.
"It was a move that crossed my mind but with my family being settled here and the travelling that would have been involved, I felt it was more important for me to concentrate on playing my football here in Scotland."
But Boyd - who netted six goals in 29 outings for Boro - still believes he can be a success in England.
He said: "It's not easy being away from your family so I felt it was right to come back home and concentrate on my football. But I still want another crack at England and I feel as if I've got three or four years left in me."

He is hardly going to say "well I had a chat with David Weir but unfortunately HE decided that timing wasn't quite right" is he

Call me funny, but when we're 1-0 (or heaven forbid 3-0)
Good win, wasn't it? Football. K mac. Brandy snaps. Maguire both ends. Red card. Shots. On target. Mostly off target. Jumpers for goalposts. Cool summer breeze. Vague smell of deep heat in the air. Isn't it. Wasn't it. Marvellous. :D

Are you sure that's deep heat you're sniffing? :rolleyes:

Shows his level of ambition when he'd rather play for Kilmarnock in the "does anybody actually care about this crap anymore" league than hopefully have a tilt at promotion with us. Pipe and slippers mode. Probably better off without him, if that's his mindset.

Would've been a bigger waste of space than Showumni, and that is some achievement given the size of that chuff! :D

People watched that and actually want Showunmi? Ok he scored after a mistake by Maguire, but apart from that he was a ineffective slow donkey. I wonder what people watch sometimes.

It is an odd one re. Showumni, but in defence, in one of our most effective seasons in not too distant memory, we had our own lump up front in Wayne Allison who did a very similar job in a not dissimilar set-up.

Oh, and if you think Showumni was an odd suggestion... wait until you see the chap in the spoiler who I think could do a job for us and will be available on the cheap due to his club's current state.

leoncort-4383-358341_478x359.jpg

People watched that and actually want Showunmi? Ok he scored after a mistake by Maguire, but apart from that he was a ineffective slow donkey. I wonder what people watch sometimes.

Showumni looked knackered after 15 minutes.

Agree houso. Leon Clarke would be a much better signing than that carthorse from last night

I think I am probably in the 1% who came away a bit deflated however I can see a work in progress and great things if a few personnel changes are made.

My points :-

• I was expecting more pressing up front especially as they had 10 men
  • We need to move the ball quicker in midfield (Doyle). Yes he had a good game, but he needs to move the ball quicker
  • We need fullbacks with more intelligence when they are stood on the half way line with 30 yards of space in front of them they use it to pull defenders out and allow Murphy and Brandy more space. Westlake got better at this as the game went on, however Williams somehow went from starting well to playing really badly. Every pass in the 2nd half went backwards when he had shit loads of space.
  • Coady looks a cut above - he reminds me of a young Steven Gerrard. Mobile, always facing the right way when receiving the ball, doesn't need a touch before passing. Very crisp passing. We need to sign him until the end of the season quickly! He could very well be the difference this season.
  • Porter can't play as a lone striker, unfortunately he's just not mobile enough. Taylor's movement and pace alone will create space for McDonald, Murphy and Brandy.

I presume the criticism of Porter is from people who saw the game on TV ,you do get a different view from being at the game ,for example I thought the sending off was ridiculous until I saw it on the replays in the cricketers after. Porter at time was the lone player in the box with 5 defenders around him which is why the crosses didn't come in ,but he never stopped moving pulling defenders all over. He played a very intelligent hardworking game which was vital to the way we played. Although Taylor looked god and will be a star Im sure of it ,I don't think he has the ability to do what Porter did yet. As for the critisism of Doyle not moving it quick enough I think some fans need to remember where we are.

Think he's one of those huge forwards who aren't making the most of his size. Hill beat him to all headers last season. He's not slow though, there was one sprint between Collins and him where Collins had a head start, but Showunmi flew past him. Dele Adebola was a player who didn't really learn to use his size and strength before he was around 30, and ES may possibly be similar.

Hang on, I've just seen us give a very decent pass and move performance and people are calling for us to sign the ultimate hoof-it-long forward?

I despair sometimes, just what do people see when they watch a game?
Unfortunately SEB, some folk love to have a go even after a performance as pleasing as that was. Porter, he was always going to be the fall guy after Doyle's resurrection to 'hmm maybe he's not that bad after all' . Williams, who suffered badly from sometimes deserved criticism last two seasons, needs to make no mistakes to keep people onside when things take their inevitable downturn (all teams have them now and again). So in that order, Porter, Doyle, Williams, we have the 3 fall guys for this coming season - surely motivation for them to keep up their current standards :)
Porter will play a vital role this season if he can stay fit.

That, my friends, marked the beginnings of the return of proper football to S2 after far too many soul-destroying years.

We did what I've seen others do to us far too often and far too painfully. Pass, move, pass, move. Magnificent in its simplicity; Simple in it's magnificence.

I don't want to pick anyone out as it was the team performance that took the eye, but McGinn was the oil that kept the kept the machine moving. Unspectacular but so intelligent, so efficient.

We've found a towering manager in Davey Weir. There are only good things to come.

I'm quite emotional. I think Weir going to get our SUFC back.

I presume the criticism of Porter is from people who saw the game on TV ,you do get a different view from being at the game ,for example I thought the sending off was ridiculous until I saw it on the replays in the cricketers after. Porter at time was the lone player in the box with 5 defenders around him which is why the crosses didn't come in ,but he never stopped moving pulling defenders all over. He played a very intelligent hardworking game which was vital to the way we played. Although Taylor looked god and will be a star Im sure of it ,I don't think he has the ability to do what Porter did yet. As for the critisism of Doyle not moving it quick enough I think some fans need to remember where we are.

Doyle and McGinn moved the ball plenty quick enough. The midfield organisation and technique was delightfully unrecognisable. Who says you can't play proper football in League One?

Weir gonna win the league..........

That, my friends, marked the beginnings of the return of proper football to S2 after far too many soul-destroying years,

We did what I've seen others do to us far too often and far too painfully. Pass, move, pass, move. Magnificent in its simplicity; Simple in it's magnificence.

I don't want to pick anyone out as it was the team performance that took the eye, but McGinn was the oil that kept the kept the machine moving. Unspectacular but so intelligent, so efficient.

We've found a towering manager in Davey Weir. There are only good things to come.

I'm quite emotional. I think Weir going to get our SUFC back.

Aye, until 6 months time when Martinez has gone tits up at Everton!

He reminded me of how we were supposed to have used the talents of Leon Britton when we had him. What a waste of talent - he'd be ideal in this formation.

He was badly fouled by Showunmi in the lead up to their goal. Clear as anything on Sky.

But he didn't play to the whistle. He hesitated and tried to claim the foul which gave Showumni that split second to get enough room to get the shot away. Very, very basic error, but did redeem himself magnificently.

I really enjoyed that last night. We bossed the first 15 minutes and played against ten men perfectly. We kept the ball, got them chasing and we were patient enough to not force the issue. It's been a long time since I've seen a United side look so comfortable on the ball and dominating possession like that, regardless of how many they had on the pitch.

Granted, we should have had at least 4, but I'd rather see us create chances and miss than not create any. The first goal was brilliant from start to finish, lovely passing and movement to create the spaces, and a nice finish from McDonald.

As for their goal, I agree with the majority in that it was a clear foul but Maguire should have played to the whistle. With young defenders though, you learn by your mistakes. 100+ appearances or not, he's still young and learning a hell of a lot about the game.

Their equaliser brought a massive positive to the game to me, purely because of how we reacted. We didn't panic, we kept at our own game and looked confident in our ability to find the opening. Really impressive stuff.

It's not going to be like that every week, and next Saturday will be a huge test for us, but that was a very good start. Keep it up Blades.

Porter had two centre-forward's chances last night which would have capped a sparkling performance and sent a real clear message to the rest of the division that Sheffield United v2.3 are installed and ready to go. People will say that the first one took a clip, and the second one came at him out of nowhere. I say this - would Shearer have missed them? How about Keith Edwards? What about Ian Wright? Suarez? These are all attacking players who showed great responses in the box and finish with precision. Last night was business as usual for Porter and he needs to raise his game or sit on the bench. We can't afford - after seasons of shit - to have some 'knock-down donkey' up in the box or someone who 'runs his socks off' (for no real net gain) if that is all he is good for. For Porter to show his worth he needs to be +15 goals this season with Taylor not far behind. That is title-winning stuff and with us showing real change to our approach (and hopefully some other tricks up our sleeve to counter teams who don't give us so much time on the ball like NCFC did last night) Porter doing what he has done over the past three years is simply not good enough any more and inexcusable.

pommpey

Porter had two centre-forward's chances last night which would have capped a sparkling performance and sent a real clear message to the rest of the division that Sheffield United v2.3 are installed and ready to go. People will say that the first one took a clip, and the second one came at him out of nowhere. I say this - would Shearer have missed them? How about Keith Edwards? What about Ian Wright? Suarez? These are all attacking players who showed great responses in the box and finish with precision. Last night was business as usual for Porter and he needs to raise his game or sit on the bench. We can't afford - after seasons of shit - to have some 'knock-down donkey' up in the box or someone who 'runs his socks off' (for no real net gain) if that is all he is good for. For Porter to show his worth he needs to be +15 goals this season with Taylor not far behind. That is title-winning stuff and with us showing real change to our approach (and hopefully some other tricks up our sleeve to counter teams who don't give us so much time on the ball like NCFC did last night) Porter doing what he has done over the past three years is simply not good enough any more and inexcusable.

pommpey

The only comparison in there that is remotely fair is with King Keith, you simply cannot compare a third division striker with internationals.

Sitwell beat me to it

The chance that came when Brandy got behind their defence and cut a low ball back looked a real sitter at the time. But having now seen the TV footage it wasn't quite so straight forward. Yes, a striker should expect to score those, but I think far better strikers than Porter could miss. I seem to remember Ronaldo missing two far easier chances against us in 2006-7 season.

Back
Top Bottom