25 man squad (23/24 season)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wasn't Mick Speight a regular? And didn't he get an England cap?

Despite this illustrious career, what I remember him most for is he once took a shot from the corner of the six yard box and it went out for a throw in.
He made 199 appearances for the Blades, can’t find how many were as sub but his debut in 1971 was as a sub for Gilbert Reece in a 2-2 draw at West Ham. It was a couple of seasons before he became a regular starter.

Wasn't Mick Speight a regular? And didn't he get an England cap?

Despite this illustrious career, what I remember him most for is he once took a shot from the corner of the six yard box and it went out for a throw in.
He didn’t play for England. I note that his final game as a player in Norway was at the age of 43!

He didn’t play for England. I note that his final game as a player in Norway was at the age of 43!
I remember him being called up to the England B squad. Don't know if he played or not. I thought he was poor and was symptomatic of our mid to late 70s decline.

I remember him being called up to the England B squad. Don't know if he played or not. I thought he was poor and was symptomatic of our mid to late 70s decline.
Yes played for England B at New Zealand in 1978. Woody was supposed to be there but declined the invitation due to " family reasons"

Yes. That's right. It was England B, not England as Silent Blade pointed out.

Looks like it was a three match tour in summer 1978.

He came on as a sub in the first two matches, then started the fourth, and scored.

1694083858740.png

Yes played for England B at New Zealand in 1978. Woody was supposed to be there but declined the invitation due to " family reasons"
Are you hinting at something else with your “…”, Silent Blade or are you just quoting what it was attributed to in the Press?

Was it assumed he didn’t fancy it because it was too far to go for just a B cap or that he was being shunned by the A team?

Anything you can add? I just missed this era.

Are you hinting at something else with your “…”, Silent Blade or are you just quoting what it was attributed to in the Press?

Was it assumed he didn’t fancy it because it was too far to go for just a B cap or that he was being shunned by the A team?

Anything you can add? I just missed this era.
Marriage problems. Even my dad heard at the time that Woody and his wife were sleeping in separate rooms. Few months later Woody moved to USA with Harry Haslam's secretary

How does Larouci qualify as 'home grown', I must have missed something there

Does the inclusion of all our long-term injured in the 25 imply anything about their likely fitness before January?

Discuss…

(Not too heatedly)

Does the inclusion of all our long-term injured in the 25 imply anything about their likely fitness before January?

Discuss…

(Not too heatedly)
Who knows? We can hope that it means that at least some of them are expected back before Christmas. But none of us have a clue, do we.

For the clickless:

25 Squad players (*Home grown)
Ahmedhodzic, Anel
Amissah, Jordan
Archer, Cameron Desmond*
Baldock, George Henry Ivor*
Basham, Christopher Paul*
Ben Slimane, Anis
Bogle, Jayden Ian*
Brewster, Rhian Joel*
Coulibaly, Ismaila Cheick
Davies, Adam Rhys*
Davies, Thomas*
De Souza Costa, Vinicius
Egan, John*
Fleck, John Alexander
Foderingham, Wesley Andrew*
Hamer, Gustavo Martin Emilio
Larouci, Yasser*
Lowe, Max Josef *
McBurnie, Oliver*
Norrington-Davies, Rhys Llewelyn*
Norwood, Oliver James*
Osborn, Benjamin Jarrod*
Robinson, Jack*
Thomas, Luke Jonathan*
Trusty, Auston Levi-Jesaiah

Traore, McAtee, Jebbison and Osula are included as U21s.

Discuss…

(Not too heatedly)
I wouldn't get your hopes up mate. Basically every player we have over 21 is enough for the 25 man spots, so if we signed a free then someone would have missed out.

I had no idea Lowe had such a Germanic name. Is he actually called Maximilian Josef Löw?
Being pedantic, the anglicised version of Löw would be Loew rather than Lowe. Lowe apparently is most common in Wigan and comes from a Middle English word for hill.

RND being on the list is either good news… or completely nuts.. not sure which

Back
Top Bottom