100 years without a trophy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Today's defeat means that we'll now go 100 years without a trophy (1925 FA Cup win against Cardiff the last time). I'm still hopeful that we'll win something in my lifetime UTB!

Don’t hold your breath, if you follow United for trophies, you’ve picked the wrong club - take the moral high ground with the rest of us and laugh at top six plastics…

Didn't we get a trophy for finishing 2nd in the Championship last year?

Also didn't we get one for winning div 4 back in the day? Or are we just counting cup competitions?

Didn't we win the Yorkshire and Humberside cup in the 80s or early 90s or something?

Also, we currently have the Steel City trophy after we beat the Pigs last time we played for it.

Basically we have cups galore you greedy twats.

I was thinking the same pal. It’s embarrassing.

Also didn't we get one for winning div 4 back in the day? Or are we just counting cup competitions?
Fucking hell .. Chesterfield used to win 4th division nearly every other year its not something we should brag about seeing the the size of our club in fact it's a fucking ebarrasment!!

Didn't we win the Yorkshire and Humberside cup in the 80s or early 90s or something?

Also, we currently have the Steel City trophy after we beat the Pigs last time we played for it.

Basically we have cups galore you greedy twats.
I was going to mention the good old Yorkshire and Humberside cup!

We've come so close as well over the last 30 years let's not forget. A fair few quarter and semis.

I'm an advocate for a regional cup competition for the pro game. The only one we currently have is the EFL Trophy and it's hardly "regional" and only open to tiers 3-4.

Get rid of the EFL Trophy.
Get rid of the League Cup too. It's just a copy and paste of the FA Cup, edited by the EFL and allows Premier League teams in an EFL competition...

There you go, made some space for the congested fixture lists.

Today's defeat means that we'll now go 100 years without a trophy (1925 FA Cup win against Cardiff the last time). I'm still hopeful that we'll win something in my lifetime UTB!
Depending what u class as a trophy as we have won 2 league titles in that time , and I'm sure Blackburn & Leicester would count Winning the league title as a trophy

Another depressing stat: Since our last cup final in 1936, only four clubs in the top two divisions have failed to reach a cup final (either FA Cup or League Cup). They are Bournemouth, Brentford, Bristol City and Plymouth Argyle.

We are medium sized club overall.

We are in a group with the likes of Forest, Brighton, Leicester, Derby, Wolves and many more inc. Wednesday but they will say they are bigger of course.

You can debate who is bigger than who but generally speaking we are in that bracket.

And that bracket of clubs if given the right funds, manager and momentum can win a trophy in the right season.

Since the turn of this century we've managed to be in 5 semi finals, but frustratingly every one we have been a 2nd or 3rd tier side and come up against a top flight team to reach the final.

In fact when you think about it we came up against Arsenal, Liverpool, Hull, Spurs, and City. We actually we in all of those times aside from last season's city game where we were totally dominated from minute 2.

Hopefully one day soon we will be a top flight team who are decent enough and take a cup seriously. Brighton are genuinely targeting the fa cup this season so whilst we can be disappointed about our performance, this match was actually less of a distraction for them than us in way.

Another depressing stat: Since our last cup final in 1936, only four clubs in the top two divisions have failed to reach a cup final (either FA Cup or League Cup). They are Bournemouth, Brentford, Bristol City and Plymouth Argyle.
Also United have the record of the club which has had most seasons in the top division since WW2 without reaching a cup final - 26. The next highest is Huddersfield with 15.

Also United have the record of the club which has had most seasons in the top division since WW2 without reaching a cup final - 26. The next highest is Huddersfield with 15.
Let's be honest it's a completely different game since 2000 so any previous records are pretty much irrelevant, it's like comparing soldiers with blunderbusses against those with machine guns

Let's be honest it's a completely different game since 2000 so any previous records are pretty much irrelevant, it's like comparing soldiers with blunderbusses against those with machine guns
Thats true although Southampton, Millwall, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Hull, Wigan, Stoke and Watford have all reached the FA Cup final since 2000.

Thats true although Southampton, Millwall, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Hull, Wigan, Stoke and Watford have all reached the FA Cup final since 2000.
True but Wigan Portsmouth hull and southampton all prem league teams played a championship or league 1 team in semi, Millwall also played a championship team in semi, Cardiff got the final without playing a premier League team

Getting in the prem is worth 160m quid fa cup 3.4m league Cup 1.2m so championship runners up is worth 50 times more

Based on your username I'm guessing you're the same age as me, give or take a few months.

As someone who started being a fan as a little kid due to my Dad, and earliest proper memories were dropping into Div 4, I didn't expect much as a young fan.

Like you, as I got a little older, I always thought we'd get that one day in the sun.

Whilst I admire your optimism and still cling to hope, I have to say mate, I've lost genuine belief that even if I'm lucky enough to have another 20 or 30 years, I no longer see us winning a proper trophy in my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom